It’s about Rivals ... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It’s about Rivals ...

Reaction Score
Temple may desire the Men's Basketball home and home and let the football stand

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Additionally, why would Buffalo or Ohio abandon the MAC for all other sports to move to a "Lonely Hearts" conference?
I'm not Bashing you Redding, Just want to hear your thoughts.
Everyone seems to crave "local" opponents. Most UConn fans don't want to play Memphis, SMU, and Houston, even though the AAC gets a fair amount national respect. Assuming no school would leave the Big 10 or ACC to join a startup Northeastern conference, I just came up with the next ten best names available.

I'm not advocating for those schools to start a new conference, and I don't think it would ever happen. I just mentioned it to see what the advocates of "local" football thought. The reaction was very negative. I think lots of people see us playing BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, and Pitt on almost an annual basis. I doubt that will happen.

Reaction Score
Competition. Games you can drive to or want to go visit. Not getting bumped on your flights to wherever.

UMASS is a big Game. A big Day on moving forward.

Buffalo. Temple. Navy. Army is HUGE. BC & Syracuse - of course. Rutgers. Maryland. Cincinnati. West Virginia. Pitt. Mount Nittany.

The AAC is solid. Houston SMU Memphis Tulane thrives - I think - because of that geo proximities. I don’t care. I think the next platform for us needs to be competitive Programs that we care about. I do want upgrades in comparable universities that can climb. I guess that’s Liberty & Old Dominion. James Madison (o no ... he’s going CAA again). I just don’t think Playing Middle Tennessee or South Alabama or North Texas has any interest or energy to our stakeholders.

UMASS & us ... I do think all these eastern programs are now - in our pov - interdependent.
I think rival games are over-rated. When Uconn BB is at the top, nobody cares about playing Umass or URI. It's about playing meaningful games against meaningful opponents.
Maybe this is a sign of where the program is and beating Umass, Buffalo, or Central CT is HUGE, but I don't get it. Unless this is a baby-step mentality.

Bottom line, the AAC had some cache for FB. Had Uconn had an inkling of success, everything would be fine. With mens BB in the drain, FB in the sewer, and even womens BB showing signs of fatigue not having won a NC in two years, a change of course was needed.

But, don't tell me had Uconn FB been beating UCF, Houston, Temple, or Memphis things would be the same. Hell, even just staying within 5 touchdowns of them the past 3-4 seasons, things would be very different.
If Uconn were playing Memphis for a likely spot in a NY6 Bowl, I think fans would show up. Had Uconn been playing for a spot in the AAC Championship against Houston or SMU, fans would show up. If Uconn were 5-3, playing ECU for a chance to go bowling, I think fans would show up.
Playing those games when you're 1-9 and throwing out the worst recorded defense ever? Yeh, fans might take a flyer.

I don't care about Liberty, Buffalo, Stoneybrook, or even Umass. Sure, play them once in a while but the games I want to see have implications. Currently, yes Umass has implications. Imagine if we lose by 3-4 touchdowns? Edsell shouldn't bother getting on bus back to Storrs.

Big picture, if people are rooting for Uconn to return to it's days of playing Yankee conference foes, I can assure you, myself and lots of others sold on big time football are out. Call me casual or whatever. But you aren't getting 40,000 people to a game to see Bryant, CCSU, or Wagner every week.

Give me a fighter's chance against Syracuse, BC, Pitt, Penn State, MD, ND, Temple, Navy, Army, WV, and I'm there. Sprinkle a few other P5 games, start to win your fair share, and fans will return.

Today, beating Umass is the goal. If that's the goal in 3-5 years, sorry, not interested.

Reaction Score
I don’t think things are fine. Even if we were 6-6 or 8-4. We’d be playing in New Orleans. Dallas. Tulsa.

It matters - to OUR lightly frosted Fanbase - to be able to travel to nearby Away games. It’s College Football

In College Basketball, I’ve gone to Seattle to see UCONN play Gonzaga. Once in awhile. But I think closer games will fit.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
It's about games that a lot of UConn fans want to see. In terms of drivable opponents that list of people that might actually feel the same way about us pulling into town is this:

Army
Boston College
Pitt
Rutgers
Syracuse

UMass could make that list if both programs get out of the triple digits.
Maryland as long as Edsall is still the coach.

That's it. That's the list.

Ps. Temple is an exercise in mutual co-dependency. If either program could attract better opponents they would drop the other in a heartbeat.
This turned out to be pretty prescient.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I think rival games are over-rated.
Probably because we don't really have one. Playing annual, meaningful, close games in different sports against a roughly comparable team that you dislike is a great part of the college experience. We've been missing it for a while now.

Reaction Score
That’s a big deal.

Even though we had scant football history with Pitt, winning that game in OT at Rentschler was huge. Because of a decade of hoop; because we can - once in awhile - bump into Pitt alums or students. Etc

We lost something in the AAC. It’s not just because we are putrid

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Liberty Liberty Liberty! Liberty!

the game many said won’t happen

Reaction Score
Liberty Liberty Liberty! Liberty!

the game many said won’t happen

Playing 5 or 6 Power 5 Schools ... great.

But we need Wins. Having 7 Independents today is better than 4 a few years ago. UMASS & Liberty showed UCONN that you could have some flexibility. You might see more FCS moving up or other G5 break. Why? The CFB wise men are wrong. You don’t need Conference if you’re UCONN. Your brand gets you more $ than AAC revenue.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Playing 5 or 6 Power 5 Schools ... great.

But we need Wins. Having 7 Independents today is better than 4 a few years ago. UMASS & Liberty showed UCONN that you could have some flexibility. You might see more FCS moving up or other G5 break. Why? The CFB wise men are wrong. You don’t need Conference if you’re UCONN. Your brand gets you more $ than AAC revenue.

Whatever - I'm just laughing that some said Liberty wouldn't/couldn't happen. We were in no position to turn our nose up at a fellow independent located east of the Mississippi.

Reaction Score
I’m no fan of Liberty University. And I’ve lost my affection for Notre Dame which was forced on me Sunday mornings listening to Lindsey Nelson replays. And BYU.

But I will like playing them. More than a North Texas or South Alabama.

I think -given our prowess (David Benedict) I’m getting this done ... you may see more Group of 5 Brand programs go Indy.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Really? That's your biggest takeaway from that article?
Yeah actually it is. Everything else has been said. Schedule is impressive overall. I am satisfied with it for sure.

Reaction Score
That’s a big deal.

Even though we had scant football history with Pitt, winning that game in OT at Rentschler was huge. Because of a decade of hoop; because we can - once in awhile - bump into Pitt alums or students. Etc

We lost something in the AAC. It’s not just because we are putrid

Some more UConn-Pitt history: Night game- Tyler Palko 0 for the RENT, Alfred Fincher's play at the 2 yard line to prevent a TD. OR, Nick Williams' kickoff return to open the 2nd half in the game that Husky fans remember more for HCRE getting a pair & going for the 1st down on 4th & 2 yards @ his own 20yard line to run out the clock. Jordan Todman cementing running out the clock.

Reaction Score
Probably because we don't really have one. Playing annual, meaningful, close games in different sports against a roughly comparable team that you dislike is a great part of the college experience. We've been missing it for a while now.
Agree 100%. Temple or Cincy were the closest but don’t get anyone excited like BC, Syracuse, or even Rutgers.
personally, never got too excited about Rutgers but they fit the bill too.

after they left, there was nothing.

C

Chief00

Doesn't matter. It really does not. We made a proactive choice to change - because it was necessary for the entire University: the BRAND, Basketball, Football.

My wish 5 years ago? I wanted to have our own wing of the American Athletic Conference. Go have your SMU, Houston, Tulsa, Tulane, Boise, BYU. I wanted UConn, Temple, Navy, Buffalo, Rutgers, Old Dominion (or Delaware/James Madison). Quite honestly, I saw the long long commutes always as an issue. I love the inclusion of the Florida teams ... we are NY/NE, we go to Florida. And I butt-hurt seeing our MBB open playing Tulsa and then Houston. nutso
Chief likes national level and travel rather than the regional scope that it appears most UConn fans favor. Be careful what you wish for. Chief liked when we played AZ and the UCLA and Washington games were great tournament games. Calhoun use to love going to the Western Regionals. Houston been one of the top AAC MBB teams the last few years under Sampson and SMU games were fun during the Larry Brown days.
As for football, got to love that final Herbst study on travel costs, which she bragged about and based her crazy decision making on in blind faith. We now know UConn’s football team (UC’s largest travel squad) goes to San Jose, CA rather than TX for football, goes to the Deep South for pay games (Ole Miss, Clemson & TN) - oh wait a moment our Ole Miss pay game is actually a Middle Tenn pay game with UConn body bags. We now have conference games in NE, WI and OH rather than TN, NC and OH. And we want to keep as many away FL games as we can for recruiting.

Don’t misunderstand Chief likes the national travel games - but those who bought the cost reduction BS - you bought some wetlands.

C

Chief00

Chief chief chief

it’s not a few football games a year TRAVEL

It is softball, volleyball, soccer (m & w), baseball, etc. That’s the savings. Double figure games for multiple sports.
I get that but with football squad, coaches and equipment mgr/trainers, football has a travel party of around one hundred - compared to a fraction of the foot print for these other teams.

Reaction Score
This thread is mostly on track. Establish some FBS Indy regional rivals and fill up with P5 opponents.
1572009018244.png

Early in the thread a new conference was contemplated. I don't think that is realistic, but a scheduling and TV alliance of independents where UConn and Nova remain in the Big East makes sense.

Here is how the new UConn schedule that is taking shape might be improved with the EAST COAST FOOTBALL ALLIANCE:

9/3 UMass
9/12 @ Illinois
9/19 @ Virginia
9/26 Indiana
10/3 @ ACC TBA
10/10 Maine Nova
10/17 BYE (could change)
10/24 @ Ole Miss
10/31 Liberty UD
11/7 TBD (home game) JMU
11/14 @ San Jose St
11/21 TBD (home game)
11/28 Army

Reaction Score
This thread is mostly on track. Establish some FBS Indy regional rivals and fill up with P5 opponents. View attachment 47439
Early in the thread a new conference was contemplated. I don't think that is realistic, but a scheduling and TV alliance of independents where UConn and Nova remain in the Big East makes sense.

Here is how the new UConn schedule that is taking shape might be improved with the EAST COAST FOOTBALL ALLIANCE:

9/3 UMass
9/12 @ Illinois
9/19 @ Virginia
9/26 Indiana
10/3 @ ACC TBA
10/10 Maine Nova
10/17 BYE (could change)
10/24 @ Ole Miss
10/31 Liberty UD
11/7 TBD (home game) JMU
11/14 @ San Jose St
11/21 TBD (home game)
11/28 Army

No offense, but you should let this one die. Your whole idea got shreaded by our AD going out and putting together a great schedule. Swapping out Maine for Nova is of no benefit, dropping FBS Liberty for FCS Delaware is nonsense and while adding JMU is fine, we are shooting higher it seems. This is a dead proposal, bury it.

Reaction Score
Chief likes national travel. Chief liked when we played AZ and the great tournament games. Calhoun use to love going to the Western Regionals.
I agree. Love heading to national sites for football—BYU, Boise, Oxford etc. Makes for a great weekend in interesting parts of the country. As for BBall, those Western Regional contests were awesome. How great was it in 2011 beating Kwahi Leonard and San Diego St to reach the final vs AZ and win by 2 when their corner shot bounced off the rim!!

Reaction Score
No offense, but you should let this one die. Your whole idea got shreaded by our AD going out and putting together a great schedule. Swapping out Maine for Nova is of no benefit, dropping FBS Liberty for FCS Delaware is nonsense and while adding JMU is fine, we are shooting higher it seems. This is a dead proposal, bury it.
I agree if those teams were FCS. The whole point is for them to be FBS independents.

UConn really should not play any FCS games after next year.

The AD has taken a step forward. It's no surprise to me. I said all along FBS Indy is viable and won't be a step down from the AAC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom