Isn't this the most realistic scenario? Ward fires GDL but keeps PP. | The Boneyard

Isn't this the most realistic scenario? Ward fires GDL but keeps PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Given the anemic offensive ranking, inability to score in the second half and poor play calling all year long but having an outstanding top 10 defense, I think win or lose next week, PP is our coach next year. Woudn't the most realistic scenario be where GDL is fired, PP is retained, and Ward hires a hot OC who can bring some excitement and creativity to the Uconn offense. Not sure how that scenario works out if PP and GDL have a close relationship and PP is against firing. I know this the AD's decision but just wondering how this would play out. Obviously this is what most fans want and think this could be the likely result at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
What I don't get is when Mac came in he played to his strength which was a screen pass (finally). But when Whit is back there getting hammered, he keeps insisting on long pass plays. It makes no sense. Keep it simple stupid!

Reaction Score
It is the most likely scenario. P probably gets another year (definitely gets one if we beat UC), but GDL is gonzo, and you announce it immediately after the Cinci game.

Reaction Score
Any course of action that involves George DeLeone on this staff is completely unacceptable.

The defense will not be what it is now, next season. We need to get some offensive production in order to compete.

George DeLeone does not have a successful track record, expecting him to finally put it together next season is overly optimistic and irrational.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I have to agree that PP probably earned himself another year but GDL is the problem. The O-Line did finally show some signs of life this game and opened some holes for McCombs. That being said, we scored 0 second half points again (not counting OT). That's completely unacceptable. We had ONE 1st down the entire second half. Are you joking?!? Something is wrong with this offense and GDL is the reason. Did Griffin get any looks yesterday? I remember the announcers say that one play had Griffin wide open and Whitmer missed seeing it. Other than that out offense was awful, especially in the second half.

If we keep PP and bring in a new offensive coordinator we keep the recruits that PP is bringing in and we get a better offense. We won't be able to rely on the D next year with the same success we've had this year.

Reaction Score
Scary thought. Someone hires Don Brown away.

I am not a big fan of new Head Coaches automatically bringing in a 100% new staff. You see it less and less these days. Urban Meyer even kept Ohio States old DC this season. But when we do get our new Head Coach, probably next winter, I hope Warde and the new guy have the sense to pay Don Brown what is costs to keep him in place.

Reaction Score

I am not a big fan of new Head Coaches automatically bringing in a 100% new staff. You see it less and less these days. Urban Meyer even kept Ohio States old DC this season. But when we do get our new Head Coach, probably next winter, I hope Warde and the new guy have the sense to pay Don Brown what is costs to keep him in place.

Or we can just make Don Brown the head coach. The guy had huge success at UMASS.

My favorite part about Don Brown's Bio:

Yale Baseball

Brown was named the interim head baseball coach at Yale during the 1992 season. Brown led the Bulldogs to a 26-10 record, including a 14-4 mark in the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League (EIBL), the EIBL championship and a bid to the NCAA tournament. Competing in the Midwest Regional, Yale lost the opener to Clemson, 8-4 before taking an elimination game against Nichols State, 13-4. The Bulldogs were then eliminated by UCLA, 8-0. Heading into the 2012 season, that was the last NCAA tournament win for Yale in baseball.

Reaction Score
Or we can just make Don Brown the head coach. The guy had huge success at UMASS.

My favorite part about Don Brown's Bio:

Yale Baseball

Brown was named the interim head baseball coach at Yale during the 1992 season. Brown led the Bulldogs to a 26-10 record, including a 14-4 mark in the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League (EIBL), the EIBL championship and a bid to the NCAA tournament. Competing in the Midwest Regional, Yale lost the opener to Clemson, 8-4 before taking an elimination game against Nichols State, 13-4. The Bulldogs were then eliminated by UCLA, 8-0. Heading into the 2012 season, that was the last NCAA tournament win for Yale in baseball.

I'm starting to come around on this.

Reaction Score
PP and GDL are connected at the hip, he's not going to fire his best friend especially when PP has said he is doing such a great job. I think they are both back next year, unfortunately.

Reaction Score
That is what would happen if this were a Big Ten or SEC program. This is not something that UConn would normally do (have an AD make orders to a coach about his staff).

We will know how Manuel sees this program soon enough.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
PP and GDL are connected at the hip, he's not going to fire his best friend especially when PP has said he is doing such a great job. I think they are both back next year, unfortunately.
Perhaps they are connected but at their respective ages there is a good chance that the hips are artificial.

Reaction Score
Well I for one hope that if and when P goes that all the former members of Edsall's staff go away with him. Yes you lose a guy like Foley or Hughes...but aside from those 2 the others need to go!

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Colorado just fired their coach after only 2 seasons...seems unfair they didnt give him a chance to win with the players he recruited....

Reaction Score
Not sure if pp will stay. He is only going to coach a pro style.

Reaction Score
Given the anemic offensive ranking, inability to score in the second half and poor play calling all year long but having an outstanding top 10 defense, I think win or lose next week, PP is our coach next year. Woudn't the most realistic scenario be where GDL is fired, PP is retained, and Ward hires a hot OC who can bring some excitement and creativity to the Uconn offense. Not sure how that scenario works out if PP and GDL have a close relationship and PP is against firing. I know this the AD's decision but just wondering how this would play out. Obviously this is what most fans want and think this could be the likely result at the end of the season.

It shouldn't be Ward's call to fire or retain GDL. He should have P present his plans for the program immediately after the season. If those plans include DGL as the OC then P needs to go. He's either got the intestinal fortitude to manage and lead this program or he doesn't. After this season he needs to be given some rope. He's a big boy, if he chooses to hang himself that's his choice.

Reaction Score
Warde should take the pressure off of Coach P, and tell GDL he is not returning. If Coach P is offended, he can resign = no buyout.

I still do not have any faith at all that Coach Foley will remain after the disrespect he was shown after all he has done for UCONN football. year in and year out, he molded great offensive lines.

Reaction Score
Warde should take the pressure off of Coach P, and tell GDL he is not returning. If Coach P is offended, he can resign = no buyout.

Disagree. If P can't handle this descision on his own then he is in way over his head. His decision. His ass.

Take the pressure off? This man is pulling down almost $2 mill a year. He damn well better feel the pressure.

Reaction Score
Disagree. If P can't handle this descision on his own then he is in way over his head. His decision. His ass.

Take the pressure off? This man is pulling down almost $2 mill a year. He damn well better feel the pressure.

That is fine, but P and GDL go back a long way. Do you think P will fire him on his own accord? Warde does it and if P doesn't like it, he can resign, which equals no buyout. Which equals winner winner chicken dinner.

Reaction Score
That is fine, but P and GDL go back a long way. Do you think P will fire him on his own accord? Warde does it and if P doesn't like it, he can resign, which equals no buyout. Which equals winner winner chicken dinner.

I would doubt it. I think it is standard that the coach has the authority to pick his staff, and if the school fires someone it is good reason for a coach to quit and get his severance. I am not saying P's contract says this, but I know a lot of contracts do.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I believe that the one variable in this equation (which we have no way of quantifying) is how long of a grace period WM believes he has. I doubt that WM would make a move in football until we are approaching the end of his self perceived grace period. I also believe that he views men's hoops as something that cannot slide from the heights JC brought it while football still needs to climb the mountain and there will be little difference (national perception wise until we are near the mountain top) in beginning that climb today or one year from now.

Reaction Score
It ticks me off to no end becuase it's abundantly clear that GDL is an awful OC. His track record is horrible and his performance this year is amongst the worst in the nation. Don Brown's defense has been the only thing even making some of these games competitive, some school is going to come calling his way. I'd much prefer he get the HC gig here just so we don't lose him and then he can decide if he wants an OC that can put some points on the board or not.

Sadly though the most likely scenario is the one that is the worst for this school. PP and GDL stay on and Don Brown gets a job elsewhere. We get the awful preparation, time management and unimaginative offense without the lights out defense that even made the games semi watchable. If we think it's bad now, it can get a lot worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom