OT: - Isaias | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Isaias

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Already downgraded to TS before US landfall. Will be an inch of rain and gusts up to 40 mph in CT? That sounds like a ho-hum March day. Doesn’t Big Weather realize there’s enough fear out there without weather fear ?

Reaction Score
Isaias was a real non-event. This is the view I had after breakfast on Hollywood Beach. Cloudy, breezy, mostly calm seas and a little rain.
View attachment 57213
Nice. I was gonna take my cruiser down there but it is a bit too windy for that for me. It seems as if the beach is open, I was curious if I coukd make it over the intracoastal.

Reaction Score
Isaias was a real non-event. This is the view I had after breakfast on Hollywood Beach. Cloudy, breezy, mostly calm seas and a little rain.
View attachment 57213
A friend of mine further south in Miami said the same thing, complete nothingburger. Granted it veered a bit north, but he said virtually nothing in the wind department either.

We'll probably get some rain and wind.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yesterday, I left for work. I knew to avoid Rt 80. 45 minutes later I went back home, never getting 4 miles from home. Every road I took to get to Rt 95 ended up being blocked.

Wow.

Reaction Score
Worcester Country got destroyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyed.. Next street over a tree absolutely obliterated a transformer, the National Grid estimate had it coming back August 7th @ 10pm. Nightmare. Luckily it came back at midnight last night, driving past it this morning it literally looks like 2 dudes from the neighborhood fixed it, it is secured to a street sign. Hey whatever! My central air is back..

Reaction Score
I swear I've seen a couple of hurricanes (biggies), but I've never seen trees bend the way they did with this storm. Could have been simply because it was daytime, and more wind than rain. I'm in Fairfield County, so I have to imagine it must have been more powerful westward.

We've got downed trees/branches but somehow the trees all stayed strong. I believe it had something to do with our lack of rain last month. Had the ground been saturated it would have been worse. I've got 4 huge oak trees that would level my house or anything they touch, so naturally I get nervous.

What I learned; tropical storms (downgraded hurricanes) are still no joke. Big difference is that you can marvel and appreciate their power watching them vs hunkering down during a cane.

Last edited:

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Lotta bad takes in this thread. Storm strengthened back to hurricane before returning to tropical storm and hitting CT.
Storm was much worse than many could even imagine.

Reaction Score
Electric back on. But only for this block. Pretty dark everywhere elce. Storm passed over a couple of towns to West (N NJ), so close. Lots of trees, wires, detours. My noce quiet street has become the s-curve at LeMans as traffic zig-zags around blocked streets. Pix file too large to enter here.

Reaction Score
The response from the monopolies has been excruciatingly bad. Yes, it was a bad storm but we’ve seen worse. 2nd most outages somehow though.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
What I learned; tropical storms (downgraded hurricanes) are still no joke
My power restoration date is August 11. I learned the same thing.

Reaction Score
In central NJ - Branch from a huge oak took down power lines and ripped the conduit right off of my house - miraculously still have power but internet/cable is toast. $1,500 later the wires are back up (got an electrician, PSEG never even came by the house in 48+ hours) but still haven’t gotten a hold of Verizon Fios - 5+ hours on hold today.

like others have said, I have never seen the wind affect the trees the way this storm did - at least near me, it would go from 0 to 50+ Within a few seconds and then right back down to nothing.

Reaction Score
Just a tropical storm with an attitude.

Stay safe.
Not in NJ. This is around the corner from our house. Luckily our mail carrier was delivering a package to the home when this happened

No power expected for 3-4 more days
46A8EB12-CD41-4F6D-BF77-FEE90B96A393.jpeg

Reaction Score
Think I got really "lucky" with only no power for about a day. People I know on both sides of me in Norwalk and Westchester still have no power with no idea when it'll be back

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Not in NJ. This is around the corner from our house. Luckily our mail carrier was delivering a package to the home when this happened

No power expected for 3-4 more days View attachment 57370
Same. Estimated power restoration Aug. 11 but hearing rumors that it could be today.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Anyone else feeling a little bit of an uptick in allergies with all the downed foliage the last couple days? Hoping allergies

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We didn't lose power. What we gained was a bunch of in-laws again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I still don't have an estimate for restoration of power in Farmington. With everybody off WiFi, I can't get a reliable cell signal. I used to get 3 bars of LTE service, now I'm getting 1 bar of 4G. Haven't been able to make or take calls, can't send or receive email, open an app or a website, and texts sometimes take four or five tries before going through. I had to drive 15 minutes toward I-84 to get an email to my boss.

Never thought something would come along so soon that would make me drink more than COVID did!

Reaction Score
We got decimated on the shoreline. Just talked to the Eversource assessor from MA outside my house (only took four days to see one) and he said this is worse than Sandy. I don't expect to have power back until Tuesday or Wednesday. Cell service has been spotty at best.

We had a giant pine tree hit our house and then crash through our deck. So scary, we thought the house was going to give way. This is going to be one hell of an insurance claim.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Anyone else feeling a little bit of an uptick in allergies with all the downed foliage the last couple days? Hoping allergies
it's been on the drier side here in Connecticut lately, particularly in the east. being out in the storm, mostly, except for those times we beat feet right back to safety, it was quite noticeable that the air was loaded. as it calmed, the first thing i noticed was the absolute 'paste' left on vehicles. later, after dark, i did the flashlight test where you shine the beam perpendicular to the prevailing breeze. a steady stream of particle soup for hours.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom