OT: - Isaiah Wong threatens to leave Miami if he doesn't get a bigger Nil deal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Isaiah Wong threatens to leave Miami if he doesn't get a bigger Nil deal

Reaction Score
I think this started on the women's board and got moved here at some point yesterday
Ah yes, the ol’ “even though it’s been labeled as off topic and I’d like to discuss it with the posters I regularly engage with, the subject matter applies to a different board on this website and therefore you must discuss it there” move.

Reaction Score
Jay Wright got out at the right time....what a (bigger) mess CBB has become.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
NIL is getting crazy. Just heard about a WR for Pitt who had no intention of entering the portal until USC offered (allegedly) $3MM in NIL to enter the portal and commit to USC. If that is not tampering I do not know what is. I would guess this is not an isolated incident and is probably happening quite a lot, especially at big football schools.

Reaction Score
Nobody truly believes a high level D1 men’s bball player with professional aspirations isn’t as good as a women’s college bball player lol.

Kids from my high school would destroy her ha
Putting the word "nobody" aside, you are correct that almost no one with a modicum of knowledge about men's and women's basketball thinks that the best women's college player is "as good" as a D1 men's player at the same position. In other words, if one were to build a team with the best chance of beating any other team, most would prefer the worst D1 men's guard over the best women's guard, for example.

That being said, surely you don't assume @Edward Sargent is naïve or ignorant enough to think otherwise, since he is on this message board. So what is the point of your reply?

By the way, if Ed's point was that Paige is better relative to her peers than Wong is to his, he's obviously right.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Nobody truly believes a high level D1 men’s bball player with professional aspirations isn’t as good as a women’s college bball player lol.

Kids from my high school would destroy her ha
And there are kids from your HS that she would destroy
What is your point here?
ES was not talking as if she beat him in a game of 1 v 1 but it's even money on a 3 pt contest

Reaction Score
Putting the word "nobody" aside, you are correct that almost no one with a modicum of knowledge about men's and women's basketball thinks that the best women's college player is "as good" as a D1 men's player at the same position. In other words, if one were to build a team with the best chance of beating any other team, most would prefer the worst D1 men's guard over the best women's guard, for example.

That being said, surely you don't assume @Edward Sargent is naïve or ignorant enough to think otherwise, since he is on this message board. So what is the point of your reply?

By the way, if Ed's point was that Paige is better relative to her peers than Wong is to his, he's obviously right.
If you put them on the same court, there are 1000s of mens player that will be better than Paige, but Paige definitely is a more valuable brand to advertisers, I would guess that she could rival the best mens players in terms of ad value and then yes when comparing to her peers she is also much better

Reaction Score
I have it on good account that NIL is not "pay for play" and can't be used to retain or attract players. There should be no concerns since the NCAA is setting and enforcing these rules. Alright.........enough sarcasm.

The only thing I find surprising about this is that evidently some folks didn't see this freight train coming. This thing is going to be an unmitigated disaster and a lot of kids are going to get taken advantage. That Miami is leading the way on NIL also shouldn't be any surprise. Can anyone even imagine what this is going to look like for SEC football programs?

Reaction Score
Yep soon I will no longer watch college sports due to this going to the highest bidder stuff .. way to ruin college sports ..
Agreed. College sports will be like minor league baseball. For me, it will lose all its attraction especially since most kids have to take out loans to pay the exorbitant tuitions and these ingrates are crying about not being paid enough.

Reaction Score
I have it on good account that NIL is not "pay for play" and can't be used to retain or attract players. There should be no concerns since the NCAA is setting and enforcing these rules. Alright.........enough sarcasm.

The only thing I find surprising about this is that evidently some folks didn't see this freight train coming. This thing is going to be an unmitigated disaster and a lot of kids are going to get taken advantage. That Miami is leading the way on NIL also shouldn't be any surprise. Can anyone even imagine what this is going to look like for SEC football programs?
everyone knew this is what would happen

Reaction Score
I have to laugh at this whole thing. When Nick Saban is flying around South Florida in his helicopter, signing every 5 star down here, it is all good. When Tennessee has street agents running around handing out cash to players, that was fine. When Patrick Peterson gets 40 K to go to LSU, allegedly of course, it's all good. Now they opened up this NIL deal, and all these guys are pissed off. The SEC, after years of trying, finally managed to perfect a business model that gave them the most exposure, and everyone turned a blind eye to how they might be getting all of the best players, because it was good for business. Now that there is a crazy, no holds barred, wide open system in place to compensate players, it's the end of the world. Hypocrites, all of them.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I have to laugh at this whole thing. When Nick Saban is flying around South Florida in his helicopter, signing every 5 star down here, it is all good. When Tennessee has street agents running around handing out cash to players, that was fine. When Patrick Peterson gets 40 K to go to LSU, allegedly of course, it's all good. Now they opened up this NIL deal, and all these guys are pissed off. The SEC, after years of trying, finally managed to perfect a business model that gave them the most exposure, and everyone turned a blind eye to how they might be getting all of the best players, because it was good for business. Now that there is a crazy, no holds barred, wide open system in place to compensate players, it's the end of the world. Hypocrites, all of them.

And the only thing that has changed is that the kids getting compensated is out in the open. Makes you wonder why so many people are upset. I have my theories...

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Calhoun has it right. While I do not typically like more regulation on anything, NIL needs some regulations, but the NCAA cannot be trusted to be the ones to regulate. All of this was happening behind closed doors for years and now it is out in the open.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Totally agree with you. As evidence:

->"We know we're going to get lawsuits," Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith told CBS Sports on Friday.

Smith is a member of a little-known NIL working group formed about two months ago to deal with growing questions of illicit activity. Despite the threat of legal liability, Smith said the NCAA and his subcommittee are determined to put up meaningful guardrails around NIL, which in some cases has edged close to pay-for-play.

The working group's recommendations submitted this week primarily deal with booster involvement. Several monied boosters have developed "collectives" establish NIL opportunities for athletes. NCAA stakeholders have long been suspicious of such collectives becoming direct inducements for recruits and transfer candidates.

"What's happening in that space is what we were all fearful of," Smith said. "What's going on -- on campuses [with existing scholarship athletes] -- currently is fine. It's the inducement pieces. We gotta kill that. If we don't kill that now, forget it." <-
IMO the power players who have been consolidating power at the exclusion or near exclusion of other universities are feeling threatened.

The NCAA was unable to stop the illicit behind the scenes activities in the past and never will. It has always been pay for play. And I doubt strongly that they were ignorant of it. Any doubts of the corruption in college sports should have been dispelled with the events that took place at UNC and the punishment they did not receive. The P5 have a lot to lose if these collectives continue and expand into many schools. Anything else they posit may have relevance but the primary purpose is to continue with their movement of dictating events which is rooted in economic exclusion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom