Isaiah Whaley is back!, thread cleaned up | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Isaiah Whaley is back!, thread cleaned up

Reaction Score
sounds like you are rather pessimistic about next year's team.

would polley returning move the needle for you, or would we still need a starting SG level transfer? are you on the grind for one?

a threesome of whaley, polley, and a kolek type to unofficially redshirt is the most i'm hoping for unless staff throws a hail mary
I think we need another scorer. Chief also is uncertain what we will get out of Akok. That doesn’t mean we won’t get helped by him, I just can’t say that with any confidence.
Many of the posters, who rate Bouknight high in the lottery, think we will have more talent. You really need that exceptional player to get defensive attention to free up other guys so they have space to score. I honestly don’t know who that talented guy is yet?

Reaction Score
Whaley making 3s at a good clip (35% or better) is a game changer for our team and its spacing as well as being the sort of thing he needs to be able to have a long career professionally.

So you think Whaley’s 3 point shooting is a “game changer”. God help us.

Reaction Score
Now you made me have to work and look up stats - LOL
IW made 8 of 23 threes for 35%
Minus his 3 banks that's 5 for 23 or 22%
So 37% of his made threes were bank shots, which Chief writes off to luck. I know we have many well intentioned Casual Fans pushing this Whaley 3 narrative and even coaches, but is this really what we want to hang our hat on?
He missed 1/2 his foul shots, why not work on that?
He missed 73 two point attempts, many lay-ups. Why not work on that? Chief thinks there’s a better payoff working on these two things.

If Chief was an opposing coach, I would design a defense to encourage IW’s 3 attempts.

Thanks for clarifying all this. I was unaware that D1 level athletes were only allowed to work on only 2 skill areas in the offseason. This is the helpful content I missed over the last couple of months.

Reaction Score
Thanks for clarifying all this. I was unaware that D1 level athletes were only allowed to work on only 2 skill areas in the offseason. This is the helpful content I missed over the last couple of months.
That’s not what I said, I said offensively these two things would have a “better payoff”. That doesn’t mean you ignore everything else but it means you prioritize it. If a Big takes the ball strong and effectively to the basket he should convert hoops very often and also get to the line.
On defense he has already been recognize as outstanding.

Reaction Score
Chief also is uncertain what we will get out of Akok. That doesn’t mean we won’t get helped by him, I just can’t say that with any confidence.
if he isn't physically able to play 20 mpg by start of conference play next winter, ie 2 years removed from his injury....will he ever be? not necessarily just a medical question. i'm talking about his development as a player and ability to carve out a role at this level when he's already considered a rising redshirt junior. cant remember another uconn player that's had to go through this to start his career makes me sick.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom