Isaiah Whaley is back!, thread cleaned up | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Isaiah Whaley is back!, thread cleaned up

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
If we win a National Championship next season you can compare them all you want.
I can’t wait.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I can’t wait.
artworks-UzcUoyGla1UqPjYW-LmRloA-t500x500.jpg

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
If I was a religious man,. I'd have been praying for this. We just got a far better big man than we could have hoped to pick up in the grad transfer market, and he's as familiar with the system and the staff as could possibly be.
I'm admittedly a big Whaley guy, and have been since late in his freshman year, and that includes his lackluster sophomore year, when Coach Hurley misread what he had in Zay. Big fan or not, I can't imagine how any UConn fan with a functioning brain could be anything but ecstatic about this development.

Reaction Score
This definitely brightened up my day ? I was disappointed with the 1st rd loss to Maryland and then it made me sad to hear about Whaley in tears at the press conference. I was pulling for Gonzaga last night as well so that sucked, too. This news is definitely a jolt and had me doing the Carlton dance.

Not to be a downer, but as great as his defense was last year, does anyone feel like he regressed offensively from the season before? I do. But I am still pleased as all hell that he is returning. Work on the perimeter shooting and finishing near the basket IW, but thankful you are returning.

The ultimate trifecta: UConn progressing further next year, Whaley playing great, and Whaley enhancing his pro prospects and making good bread playing basketball for the rest of his career.

Reaction Score
If I was a religious man,. I'd have been praying for this. We just got a far better big man than we could have hoped to pick up in the grad transfer market, and he's as familiar with the system and the staff as could possibly be.
I'm admittedly a big Whaley guy, and have been since late in his freshman year, and that includes his lackluster sophomore year, when Coach Hurley misread what he had in Zay. Big fan or not, I can't imagine how any UConn fan with a functioning brain could be anything but ecstatic about this development.
Very true. There is no lag time in preparing him to learn the system and cohesively mix with his teammates like there would be for a transfer. Now let's get a pure outside shooter. We didn't have that on UConn this year. Vital became that in his last 10 games from the 2020 season.

Reaction Score
That's pretty unlikely imo. Springs has already been in the building two years and will have another offseason to improve. Springs should be good enough defensively to get minutes and is supposedly a great rebounder and sports a mid range game that opens things up.

Samson has a massive uphill battle for minutes this season just in terms of getting up to speed defensively but also getting accustomed to the speed of the college game. Very excited for him long term but I don't see it happening now.
Whoever can shoot 3s above 30% gets the playing time

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I wonder what this does to springs actually.
I hope Hurley doesn't misread Springs possibilities like he did with Sophomore Isaiah. FWIW (which is absolutely nothing, since I'm not on the coaching staff) I think Springs deserves regular minutes early in the season to prove himself or to fail if he's not really BE material.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
IW coming back is big. Still wouldn't mind Yetna, Locke and Richmond. Yetna is highly skilled offensively and can get us buckets down low when Sanogo is out of the game and can stretch the floor when Sanogo is in the game. Locke for obvious reasons and Richmond, who may have been the most talented player on this year's Cuse team.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
IW coming back is big. Still wouldn't mind Yetna, Locke and Richmond. Yetna is highly skilled offensively and can get us buckets down low when Sanogo is out of the game and can stretch the floor when Sanogo is in the game. Locke for obvious reasons and Richmond, who may have been the most talented player on this year's Cuse team.
Richmond committed to Hall already.

Reaction Score
We don't need anymore front court help now. Whaley, Sanogo, Akok, Samson, and whatever Springs brings is a top 15 front court. Staff needs to focus all their energy on bringing in 2 more stud shooters. Diggins, Jackson, and Cole are great passers, they just need shooters around them to actually take advantage of that.

Reaction Score
This definitely brightened up my day ? I was disappointed with the 1st rd loss to Maryland and then it made me sad to hear about Whaley in tears at the press conference. I was pulling for Gonzaga last night as well so that sucked, too. This news is definitely a jolt and had me doing the Carlton dance.

Not to be a downer, but as great as his defense was last year, does anyone feel like he regressed offensively from the season before? I do. But I am still pleased as all hell that he is returning. Work on the perimeter shooting and finishing near the basket IW, but thankful you are returning.

The ultimate trifecta: UConn progressing further next year, Whaley playing great, and Whaley enhancing his pro prospects and making good bread playing basketball for the rest of his career.
No, I don't feel that way, since he was better in every single offensive statistical category except field goal percentage last year (on 3 more FGA per game), and he started taking and making threes once in awhile as well.

Reaction Score
Different circumstances. Akok was coming in to replace a front court that the year prior played Eric Cobb, Kassoum Yakwe, and Josh Carlton. By the time he was eligible the only front court players were him, Whaley, Springs, and Carlton.

Now Samson is coming into a situation where you already have BE DPOY Isaiah Whaley, Akok, Adama Sanogo, and Richie Springs.

That's a significant upgrade in competition. If it was 2019, I would pencil Samson in for 10-15 minutes, but based on who is in front of him I don't see it.

Fair enough. But I will DM you and make you eat crow if I'm right.

And claim I was drunk if you are ?

Reaction Score
Euroleagues are currently playing.
Euroleagues might be playing, but I imagine the work visa protocols are a bit tougher right now..might be nearly impossible for some of these guys to even get permission to play there

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Best front court in the Big East locked up. Now imagine if he shoots 3s on good volume...

Locke is the final piece, get him and another bench shooter(hopefully Polley), and this should be a top 15 team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom