Isaiah Briscoe (Committed to Kentucky) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Isaiah Briscoe (Committed to Kentucky)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The Yankees, Giants, Knicks, Mets, Jets, Nets, Rangers, Celtics, Red Sox, Bruins, The US Open (tennis), all sorts of major events at MSG just off the top of my head. Pro sports near Kentucky, the Cincinnati Reds and Bengals, oh I forgot they have a Corvette museum and a couple of Nascar races. You're trying to say there is more going on in Kentucky then around CT. sports wise, this is so laughably stupid. I'm only mentioning the pro sports, if you also want to compare any cultural events, beaches. food etc. it becomes more laughable.

The original point that took this thread off track was that Kentucky sucks and people there don't have anything better to do than obsess over UK. And, oh by the way, Kentucky is so backwards that they don't have any professional sports franchises.

To refute that you and a few others have consistently pointed out that Connecticut has none of that as well. But Connecticut is close to being famous.

Facts are that Kentucky while being slightly larger population wise has stronger fan support for two different universities and supports major sporting events throughout the year than Connecticut does for anything in the state.

Does it make Kentucky a better state? Not necessarily. Does it mean the events they have there are better than Connecticut's? Not necessarily. It also doesn't mean you have to like anything that goes on there either.

But Kentucky residents can rightfully claim a stronger identity to teams and events in its state than Connecticut residents can in their state.

As a final note, no one from Connecticut should ever bring up beaches as a bragging point.

I see threads like this go offline when people from Connecticut rag on other states and as someone said earlier, rocks and glass houses is true.

Reaction Score
As a final note, no one from Connecticut should ever bring up beaches as a bragging point.

Having lived in several states with "beaches," I think Conn. has a bragging point on this one. Michigan, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio etc. all talk of beaches. Having a beach on the Atlantic as Conn. does is a bonus. Sure, it isn't the Outer Banks, Florida or even Cape Cod, but it's a heckuva lot better than a beach on Lake Michigan.

Reaction Score
The thing Kentucky has over UConn is that Kentucky basketball is pretty much religion here. They treat their basketball players like superheroes. That's a cultural thing.

I don't know if it's because we have less of a legacy, or because we're just a more stoic group of people, but we simply don't get as worked up about it. We do not have the attendance or the fanaticism they do. You can argue all day about how nice Kentucky is as a state, but I think the main problem is the culture.

Not that I'm saying Kentucky is the better choice -- but if you are making pros and cons, that's gotta be in Kentucky's "pro" column, much like Ollie having experience in the NBA is in UConn's "pro" column.

Reaction Score
Why are we saying "Next"? He commit to UK?

In 20 mins - sorry, but only a matter of time at this point. I will own everything publically of wrong on this (or Clarke), but outside looking in.

That said - Adams was my must for this class. Still think Staff will make this class great, but not with names some had hoped for.

Reaction Score
In 20 mins - sorry, but only a matter of time at this point. I will own everything publically of wrong on this (or Clarke), but outside looking in.

That said - Adams was my must for this class. Still think Staff will make this class great, but not with names some had hoped for.

Got it - I agree that it's most likely UK...just wasn't sure if I missed anything.

Reaction Score

I really think we can build a team around Adams, which is why his 'get' was so important.

Briscoe would be a wonderful addition but to me, not a foundation. I don't see him beyond two years. Our best point guards (think seasons) have been foundations.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Got it - I agree that it's most likely UK...just wasn't sure if I missed anything.
Mooch in case you aren't familiar with @Zionn, he is the closer of our recruiting insiders. We great insights from @3uconn and @husky99, @tcf15 of course, but when @Zionn comes in with the thumbs up or thumbs down, you can usually count on it as the first and last word.

Reaction Score
Mooch in case you aren't familiar with @Zionn, he is the closer of our recruiting insiders. We great insights from @3uconn and @husky99, @tcf15 of course, but when @Zionn comes in with the thumbs up or thumbs down, you can usually count on it as the first and last word.

Listen to z. Most to all of the times his info is good

Reaction Score
Fun thing is I hear d uk leads but we are not out with Briscoe

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The thing Kentucky has over UConn is that Kentucky basketball is pretty much religion here. They treat their basketball players like superheroes. That's a cultural thing.

I don't know if it's because we have less of a legacy, or because we're just a more stoic group of people, but we simply don't get as worked up about it. We do not have the attendance or the fanaticism they do. You can argue all day about how nice Kentucky is as a state, but I think the main problem is the culture.

Not that I'm saying Kentucky is the better choice -- but if you are making pros and cons, that's gotta be in Kentucky's "pro" column, much like Ollie having experience in the NBA is in UConn's "pro" column.

Legacy is a gray area. UConn has been very successful over the past two and half decades. Maybe in the next generation there will be more uber fans if the team stays successful. But I would have expected more excitement than currently exists based on this success. I believe the prior administrations took an unbalanced approach in development of a rabid fan base.

Ct might have more stoic people than some states but the passion that Ct people show for the Pats/Giants or the Yankees/Red Sox makes me believe that the real problem is generating passion for UConn sports. How to get that is the discussion I think needs to be taking place, as opposed to some people arguing it can't happen.

I don't buy the argument that people are unable to have passion for more than one team. I will accept the argument that a limitation in time and capital influences how people choose to attend various events. So in that sense it is important for UConn to think of strategies to get families to changes their priorities in spending their discretionary monies. I see some of that happening now.

I think the most important thing is to get young kids to UConn games.

It's anecdotal, but I get the impression many of the passionate fans in this forum had their parents take them to UConn games as young kids. I think that process is the underlying reason so many adults love the professional teams in the area - their parents took them to games. If I'm correct than it becomes important for UConn to encourage family attendance to the games. Some ideas: family nights, offering public schools tickets to games, contests for families to get premium seats, letting kids attend a practice and get autographs, developing a department that understands kids and develops items they could be excited about, developing an app that is child friendly and exciting and markets the sports and the academics to kids. I'm not the most creative guy around but there are things that can be done to get kids to ask their parent to attend games.

I'd also stimulate more excitement amongst the universities students. There has to be better systems than a lottery which often prevents the most passionate students from getting to games. I've some ideas but this post is long enough.

Reaction Score

Thanks, yes, definitely know he is knowledgable but didn't know if "Next" was 100% or just strong speculation.

Reaction Score

I think Briscoe was more of a "nice to have" versus a "need", since we already have the Adams commit. What's your thoughts on Mack and Jones? Confident that we'll reel one of them in?

Reaction Score
The first visit for Briscoe was to Connecticut, and according to his father George Briscoe it was a good visit.
“I think he could definitely play there and have a great career,” said Briscoe. “You never know how things will play out. Rodney Purvis is there, so would Purvis be one and done there or would it be a big brother relationship where he and Purvis play together, and either way that is good.”
Briscoe continued, “Obviously Kevin Ollie is a great coach, and UConn is known for great guards, so there is a lot to like there and it was a very good visit.”

http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/1460980

Reaction Score
I think Briscoe was more of a "nice to have" versus a "need", since we already have the Adams commit. What's your thoughts on Mack and Jones? Confident that we'll reel one of them in?
I know what your saying but does Kentucky "need" every top 15 player? Kids seem to love going their to ride the pine.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Hopefully not referring to Stone?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Buried in another thread so many may not read this article found by @clockhop. Feel it's too important to be buried.

From clockshop's post:
blog post from Briscoe on his recent visits, etc

"Overall, I thought it was definitely a 10 out of 10. I think, of the head coaches recruiting me, me and Coach Ollie are probably the closest. He’s real cool and real down to earth."

http://usatodayhss.com/2014/top-sen...-and-kentucky-visits-getting-healthy-and-more
Stone called him "down to Earth", too.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Stone called him "down to Earth", too.
Yep! But is it just something being said to be considerate ( as appears to be the case with Briscoe) or is he really contemplating going to UConn. We'll know in 20 minutes.

I felt the only chance to get Briscoe was if Kentucky did not offer. Once the offer was made I felt it was curtains. But that's just a feeling without backing compared to @Zionn. So I decided to post @Clockshop link in a separate thread just on the off chance I was wrong.

Reaction Score
UKWildcatSports ‏@UKWildcatSports 2h2 hours ago
KSR: Slice is visiting Isaiah Briscoe today http://Post original url/ZbZ92r #BBN

Hey Isaiah - my name's Barry. Based on my success in bringing New York City recruits to Pittsburgh to help them realize their dreams of traveling to Europe, I earned a reputation as NYC guru that got me a head coaching gig at a New York City college. I coached there for five years and led my teams to 33 conference wins! The 64 losses weren't my fault - that Niagara-Canisius road trip is tough on anyone!

Now I hold a clipboard and occasionally whisper wrinkles in Coach Cal's ear ("he should shoot more" or "he should rebound more" are two of my favorites - "he should pass more" was all Cal's, gotta give the credit to the big guy). We're here to invite you to spend one of the finest years of your life with us in Lexington. We don't really want you here longer than that, since then people will start to ask why you haven't gotten any better and that's a big headache for us. Our way, we can just use the "hey, they're freshmen" excuse any time we lose. It's perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom