Is wed Tulsa game must win | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is wed Tulsa game must win

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
My friend, have you watched much from our conference this year? We're bottom 3 with ECU and USF.

Houston beat Arkansas – who we made look like the '86 Celtics – by 26. Houston beat Arizona by 6. Cincy & WSU are top 20 teams. SMU & Tulane are very good. Temple and UCF are limited but well-coached.

We're chaff.

If the presumptive conference champion is only beating a team in the bottom 3 by 10 points, that's a pretty significant statement about the league's parity.

Reaction Score
If the presumptive conference champion is only beating a team in the bottom 3 by 10 points, that's a pretty significant statement about the league's parity.

WSU won by 10 convincingly. Never really in huge danger to lose at any point during the game. At an away game. First home conference game for their opponent. Home crowd jacked up. They arrived late the night before a noon game because of flight delays. Minimal practice time on a court they've never played on. Time zone changes.

Truth be told, we had the best possible conditions to pull off a W. They probably beat us by 25+ when we visit them later in the season.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Home crowd jacked up. They arrived late the night before a noon game because of flight delays. Minimal practice time on a court they've never played on. Time zone changes.

Oh come off it...they're college athletes who play a national non-conference schedule. They're used to it.

If you wouldn't make that excuse for UConn, don't make it for anyone else.

Reaction Score
Oh come off it...they're college athletes who play a national non-conference schedule. They're used to it.

If you wouldn't make that excuse for UConn, don't make it for anyone else.

You're trying to take their 10-pt win vs. us with no context whatsoever and using it to then spin an argument of "league parity".

We did a 36-h turnaround from Arizona to Auburn and lost by 25. Could have been a 40pt loss. Just sayin' .

Reaction Score
We can still get an at-large bid with the rest of the schedule. We're just not good enough to do it.

Yes, if we go 15-3 the rest of the way, including winning 2 out of Nova, WSU, and Cincy, and avoid stepping on our d*** in the AACT, at something like 23-10 that's probably enough.

The problem is that, with this team and coach, there's about a 0.1% chance of it happening.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
WSU won by 10 convincingly. Never really in huge danger to lose at any point during the game. At an away game. First home conference game for their opponent. Home crowd jacked up. They arrived late the night before a noon game because of flight delays. Minimal practice time on a court they've never played on. Time zone changes.

Truth be told, we had the best possible conditions to pull off a W. They probably beat us by 25+ when we visit them later in the season.
Yeah man WSU cruised the whole way. Especially when we tied it with like 8 min left or were actually leading at the 12 min mark. If the roles were reversed and this was a game vs Central you’d be saying we barely won.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yeah man WSU cruised the whole way. Especially when we tied it with like 8 min left or were actually leading at the 12 min mark. If the roles were reversed and this was a game vs Central you’d be saying we barely won.

You can't make this board up. Really, you can't. I hated losing, but I enjoyed the majority of the game.

We had an amped up crowd, we forced 12 turnovers with great energy, and got some nice interior contributions, and if we didn't get jobbed by the refs, we were on course to win this game against a top 10 team shooting 50% from 3. Jalen did a pretty nice job at point, and even Ollie was calling quick timeouts.

But there are about 15 people on this board who spread their poison all day, and it makes it hard to enjoy UConn again. Here is the post of the day from the game thread that sums it all up:

Every time I look at this thread I think we're down 10. Then I look at the scoreboard and we're up 3.

There's the Boneyard in a nutshell...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You can't make this board up. Really, you can't. I hated losing, but I enjoyed the majority of the game.

We had an amped up crowd, we forced 12 turnovers with great energy, and got some nice interior contributions, and if we didn't get jobbed by the refs, we were on course to win this game against a top 10 team shooting 50% from 3. Jalen did a pretty nice job at point, and even Ollie was calling quick timeouts.

But there are about 15 people on this board who spread their poison all day, and it makes it hard to enjoy UConn again. Here is the post of the day from the game thread that sums it all up:

There's the Boneyard in a nutshell...

I didn’t think they got jobbed by the refs today.

This game distilled it down to something very simple for me:

Every time UConn would make a run - WSU made a shot. On the road in front of a full house - everytime they needed to make a shot they did.

Wichita is good because they can make shots and UConn is not because they can’t.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I had us at 15 wins early in the season, I would be pretty surprised if we get there.

I've lowered my expectation from 17 to 14. As my MIL would say, "It is the suck."

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I didn’t think they got jobbed by the refs today.

This game distilled it down to something very simple for me:

Every time UConn would make a run - WSU made a shot. On the road in front of a full house - everytime they needed to make a shot they did.

Wichita is good because they can make shots and UConn is not because they can’t.

There's no doubt about that.

But especially late in the first half, we got jobbed on about 5 calls in the span of about 5 minutes. It was the difference between going into the half up 6 or down 4. And the crowd let them know about it.

Look, it's tough to beat a team that is capable of shooting 50% from 3. But we were doing enough to win today, if we were playing 5 vs 5 and not 5 vs 8. The last 4 minutes was a couple of our guys just trying to make up the deficit on their own and just couldn't do it...

Reaction Score
All games are must wins now. In order to have any chance of making the NCAA I'd say we need to finish 14-4 at worse in AAC. maybe even 15-3

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There's no doubt about that.

But especially late in the first half, we got jobbed on about 5 calls in the span of about 5 minutes. It was the difference between going into the half up 6 or down 4. And the crowd let them know about it.

Look, it's tough to beat a team that is capable of shooting 50% from 3. But we were doing enough to win today, if we were playing 5 vs 5 and not 5 vs 6. The last 4 minutes was a couple of our guys just trying to make up the deficit on their own and just couldn't do it...

I was pretty far away and thought there was a few bad calls but didn’t come away thinking it was one to pin on the officials.

Just more they can shoot and we can’t.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I was pretty far away and thought there was a few bad calls but didn’t come away thinking it was one to pin on the officials.

Just more they can shoot and we can’t.

The 3-point shooting definitely killed us, too. If we even get a 35% effort from 3 instead of 18%, or if they shot 35% instead of 48% from 3, we win.

That's why I'm not taking this game as hard as the rest of the board. If we play like this for the remainder of the year, we'll win the vast majority of our conference games...

Reaction Score
“..... we forced 12 turnovers with great energy, and got some nice interior contributions, and if we didn't get jobbed by the refs, we were on course to win this game against a top 10 team shooting 50% from 3. Jalen did a pretty nice job at point, and even Ollie was calling quick timeouts.”
Oh boy. Now I see why you have been predicting undefeated seasons since 1983.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom