Is Villanova a rival? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is Villanova a rival?

Is Villanova UConn‘s rival?

• Definitely. There’s history, competitiveness and games are meaningful since we returned to the BE

• Not quite yet, but there’s potential for one in the future.

• Villa who? Hell no.

Results are only viewable after voting.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I feel like he doesn't really give much of a reaction when it gets called though. The two times it got called (I mean the one against Sanogo even he had to know was absolutely egregious), he just clapped and went back to playing. Maybe I'm misremembering, but he knows that part of his game is finding that line and skirting it and I think there's an understanding that sometimes it's going to get called.
It was the annoying little smirk on his face. Granted it’s subtle.

Reaction Score
You don't have to hate a rival. I've never been able to "hate" Nova because they are a class act (as is Jay Wright). But that was the biggest game on our schedule for sure.
Absolutely. Nova at home after an 11 point thumping at their place when they were playing without a starter.

Huge win in that we are now a peer to Nova, and they are a damn good team. This team has grown up a great deal in the past couple of months.

That was truly an incredible, instant classic type game last night. One team had the coach that probably is the most well-respected in the land and the other one had the associate head coach step in. You couldn't script it better. Kamani was perfect in my eyes, straight through the press conference. It was cool to hear his thoughts, he is a fascinating guy. I feel even better about our coaching staff now that he got a chance to show a bit about himself last night. And Jay Wright is the epitome of class. Beating a well coached, talented team like his is an accomplishment.

Think about the fantastic memories we already have from this season. Adama dominating, Tyrese dominating, being second in the nation in blocked shots, Polley big off the bench in 2 straight games, Cole surpassing 2200 points for his career AND drawing charges routinely, flashes of Hawkins, Jackson thrilling with his passing (8 assists last night) and rebounding (16 in a recent game).

Hurley has created something very enjoyable. The fact that the XL Center was absolutely rocking last night by all accounts shows how far this program has come under Hurley. I know it was rocking for Marquette too.

I'd really like to see us beat Creighton on the road. I really thought we were the better team in game 1 but they hit some unbelievable shots and got some insane bounces. I hate saying that, but it's the truth.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Possibly… I’ll work on that.

eddie-haskell.jpeg

Reaction Score
youre not giving russia enough credit. Cuse is north korea. throwing impotent temper tantrums on the other side of the world.
Lmao this is great

Okay so Cuse is NK and Duke is Russia?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yep. Jay Wright was our biggest supporter in the return. Whereas Lucky PC and Hall kind of begrudgingly signed off on it.
That too, but what I meant was that before 'Nova won it all in 2016, UConn was the last National Champion who did not also have a FBS football program in a major conference.

Nova showed it could be done without being a beneficiary of ungodly lucrative TV deal primarily due to another sport.

Reaction Score
Villanova is a gentleman’s rival. Think: “I dare say, chap, you gave it a spirited effort but I’m afraid I’ve gotten the better of you this time. Here’s to success for us both the rest of the way. I do admire the suit.”

Cuse is more of an alley rival: “How you like me now, #*%$?! Shove a regular-season-champs t-shirt up your nose, run back upstate, and take your weak-@$$ zone defense with you. I hope Boeheim coaches for 20 more years and the Carrier Dome implodes and falls into the center of the earth.”

Both are rivals with their own special character.

Reaction Score
I can easily see Nova becoming more hated over time because of their fans alone. Zissou is good, but I'm just referring to real live Nova fans. From many BE tournaments. Weirdly, that Syracusefan board is full of the worst Cuse fans imaginable. In person, at the garden, they had a much much better fanbase than many of the BE rivals. Nova's fans were much worse.

I don't know why there's such a split online.

Heck, the last time we beat Nova, there were a bunch of Syracuse fans doing our Senor T. dance on the sidelines right behind our players.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Villanova is a gentleman’s rival. Think: “I dare say, chap, you gave it a spirited effort but I’m afraid I’ve gotten the better of you this time. Here’s to success for us both the rest of the way. I do admire the suit.”

Cuse is more of an alley rival: “How you like me now, #*%$?! Shove a regular-season-champs t-shirt up your nose, run back upstate, and take your weak-@$$ zone defense with you. I hope Boeheim coaches for 20 more years and the Carrier Dome implodes and falls into the center of the earth.”

Spot on, old sport. I rather like the cut of your jib!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Man, I never realized that Eddie Haskell had such heavily plucked eyebrows. Seriously, what’s up with that?

Reaction Score
I honestly think the lack of hate lately was because they were too good for us. I hating losing to seton hall and providence much more because I felt like we were better than them and was pissed we couldn’t prove it. Losing to nova wasn’t as painful because they were just plain better than us. I hope that changes now.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I have a hard time thinking of them that way right now as we hadn't beaten them in ages. To me a rivalry needs more recent games where both teams have won multiple times. But if other fans want to view it that way that's fine by me.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They are a rival and that rivalry will grow after last night.

Syracuse had advantages. They were more consistently good than Villanova in the old days. We both claimed NYC as our territory (as does St. Johns). ESPN was packed full of Syracuse mooks. Despite Jim B and Jim C being good friends, we had no trouble hating Boeheim. The zone, the constant annoying zone. So many annoying players that were easy to dislike (except Pearl). McNamara, Devendorf, etc. Syracuse is a huge school and so you always run into some snotty Cuse fan everywhere in New England

In contrast Nova came of age by beating a Georgetown team we didn't like in an epic upset, with players everybody liked. Rollie was like your Italian uncle or neighbor. Then Jay came in and remains a class act. Who hated Kerry Kittles? Pinkney? Foye? Pressley? Nobody. I kinda hated Scottie Reynolds. I don't run into Villanova alums or fans and when I do they don't act like idiots.

Reaction Score

That's perfect.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thebug23

Top Bottom