Is Villanova a rival? | The Boneyard

Is Villanova a rival?

Is Villanova UConn‘s rival?

• Definitely. There’s history, competitiveness and games are meaningful since we returned to the BE

• Not quite yet, but there’s potential for one in the future.

• Villa who? Hell no.

Results are only viewable after voting.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I stumbled onto this article from the Villanova website listing Villanova‘s rivals. We come in at number two, or number 1B as the case may be.
60B9A057-2FDF-4091-82DC-E57617B46F20.jpeg

There’s a much longer description. You have to scroll down to find UConn.

I’m not sure that I’m quite there yet with thinking of nova as a rival, but I see the potential especially if both of us are competing for championships in the Big East.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
An old question. In the Calhoun era our rival was whomever was challenging us for the BE title. Some years it was Pitt, some GT and Nova, some years Cuse.

So in that sense we didn't have a single rival, but any BE and Fmr BE team that's had success can be considered a rival.

In the NBE, it's clearly Nova. Even with PC having their best year ever it's still not that big a deal to most people.

Reaction Score
seton hall at 1???? nah they dont want that.

we're the two best programs in the conference by a mile. we are rivals by definition. embrace it.

Reaction Score
I stumbled onto this article from the Villanova website listing Villanova‘s rivals. We come in at number two, or number 1B as the case may be.
View attachment 73659
There’s a much longer description. You have to scroll down to find UConn.

I’m not sure that I’m quite there yet with thinking of nova as a rival, but I see the potential especially if both of us are competing for championships in the Big East.
I'd have to think it's a little less than satisfying if your biggest rival is SHU.

Perhaps the author's misinterpretation of events - "follow football Instead of stick with the Big East and basketball" - has clouded his judgement.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Of course it is.

From (at least) the Kittles years to the 2006 games, to 2014, there have been a lot of great battles.

We're the two top teams in the conference. They're not just a rival, they're our biggest rival for the foreseeable future.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I don't think they were ever a traditional rival. However, both programs will be competing for the class of the BE for years now (with PC competing every now and then). So yes, let's call it a rivalry. Nova is a worthy rival.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Of course it is.

From (at least) the Kittles years to the 2006 games, there have been a lot of great battles.

We're the two top teams in the conference. They're not just a rival, they're our biggest rival for the foreseeable future.
I know they should be but I just can’t bring myself to hate Wright and crew ugh

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'd have to think it's a little less than satisfying if your biggest rival is SHU.

Perhaps the author's misinterpretation of events - "follow football Instead of stick with the Big East and basketball" - has clouded his judgement.
Yeah it’s a nova fan form article. I would expect them to have a skewed view about football.

For what it’s worth, I wonder if Villanova had upgraded football if that would’ve kept the old Big East together. I think it might’ve because the “Catholic six“ wouldn’t of had the leverage or the votes. That alone is reason enough to dislike them.

Reaction Score
I know they should be but I just can’t bring myself to hate Wright and crew ugh

You don't have to hate a rival. I've never been able to "hate" Nova because they are a class act (as is Jay Wright). But that was the biggest game on our schedule for sure.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
In terms of competition, yes, because that is determined on the court/field/pitch. 'Nova is not a heated or hated rivalry at the moment, as those attributes are determined by the fanbases.

Jay Wright is way too likable and I also think that 'Nova played an indirect role in UConn returning all non-gridiron sports to the Big East.

Reaction Score
Of course. The big East is very good and there are some fine programs, others with good history, others who may be on the come-up, but there are 2 big dog programs. Uconn and nova.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I think the entire conference hates us. We're the new kids on the block, and we immediately stole a lot of limelight

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Jay Wright is way too likable and I also think that 'Nova played an indirect role in UConn returning all non-gridiron sports to the Big East.
Yep. Jay Wright was our biggest supporter in the return. Whereas Lucky PC and Hall kind of begrudgingly signed off on it.

Reaction Score
The push-off thing helps and his incredulous look whenever it gets called. Plus are we entirely sure that Chris Arcidiacono isn’t some kind of illegal Gillespie clone?
I feel like he doesn't really give much of a reaction when it gets called though. The two times it got called (I mean the one against Sanogo even he had to know was absolutely egregious), he just clapped and went back to playing. Maybe I'm misremembering, but he knows that part of his game is finding that line and skirting it and I think there's an understanding that sometimes it's going to get called.

Reaction Score
I couldn't help but think of this scene while we struggle with the fact that the only reason we can come up for Nova not being top rival is because we don't hate them

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thebug23

Top Bottom