Is Umass really recruiting better than UConn? | The Boneyard

Is Umass really recruiting better than UConn?

Reaction Score
Not according to Rivals...

008.png

... and 247 is missing a UConn commit (not unusual).

Reaction Score
UConn 104, Umass 78. I could scream!!!! Incompetent Idiots in charge.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Honest question: if you had a son who was a 3 star recruit with a couple P5 and upper echelon G5 offers would you send them off to Storrs in this current situation?

I would not. And this is coming from a giant UConn fan. It’s a celebration anytime we land any player with another FBS offer.

Reaction Score
I’d like to see some positive steps to improve the current situation.

Reaction Score
Seems so according to 247sports.com.
From a quality pure numbers player rating standpoint, no but they are close. From an in state recruiting standpoint and volume, yes definitely. Five of Umass's sixteen 3 star recruits are from Massachusetts while none of Uconn's ten 3 star recruits are from Connecticut. Another reason why Edsall must go IMO, his recruiting record in CT is bad and is getting worse. That being said, would a win over UMass help recruiting, probably.

Reaction Score
While fully appreciative of the woe is me that dominates this board, one can not logically argue that we are bringing in better recruits. Whether that continues is a mystery. I just hope the kids who are seeing the field far too early don’t get discouraged and seek greener pastures. If the team can remain in tact, we should be ready to roll soon. SHOULD BE.

Reaction Score
UMass Average Recruit Ranking = 81.54
UConn Average Recruit Ranking = 81.89 (missing a commit)

Neither is anything to write home about...

The data proves that its possible for us to improve recruiting as an independent

Reaction Score
Here's where we differ on in-state recruiting. I have zero confidence that if UConn got all the Connecticut 3-star recruits that they'd be elevated to anything close to a decent P5 program. Heck, that team if matched up across the ball from a team filled with walk on's from a team like Nebraska they'd come out on the losing end.

As I've written on other threads, there are hundreds of kids that are far better at fundamentals sitting in their living rooms in small towns throughout the heartland that a program like the Huskies should be talking to. Eventually they end up at schools like South Dakota State and Wyoming performing well in their OOC games against the bigs.

I moved from CT to NE back in 1999. It took a while, due to lack of caring on my part, but eventually I started to gain knowledge and perspective of the history of their program. I was astounded to learn that way more than a few of their all time greats, most of whom were on the line and linebackers (many of whom had stellar Sunday careers) were walk-ons and not highly recruited X-stars. In fact, while its up for debate, When the school dumped Frank Solich and went to Bill Callahan, Callahan dismantled the walk-on program because he wanted to concentrate on big name, big ego kids from the west coast. The program hasn't been the same since. Well, enough of the history lesson.

I'd like to see RE put some effort into recruiting these big farm kids with line play taught right. It won't be easy given the pull of South Dakota and the like have established, but it certainly couldn't hurt.

Reaction Score
No way.

Walt Bell doesn’t even know what exit to get off on the Mass Pike yet.

Reaction Score
Here's where we differ on in-state recruiting. I have zero confidence that if UConn got all the Connecticut 3-star recruits that they'd be elevated to anything close to a decent P5 program. Heck, that team if matched up across the ball from a team filled with walk on's from a team like Nebraska they'd come out on the losing end.

As I've written on other threads, there are hundreds of kids that are far better at fundamentals sitting in their living rooms in small towns throughout the heartland that a program like the Huskies should be talking to. Eventually they end up at schools like South Dakota State and Wyoming performing well in their OOC games against the bigs.

I moved from CT to NE back in 1999. It took a while, due to lack of caring on my part, but eventually I started to gain knowledge and perspective of the history of their program. I was astounded to learn that way more than a few of their all time greats, most of whom were on the line and linebackers (many of whom had stellar Sunday careers) were walk-ons and not highly recruited X-stars. In fact, while its up for debate, When the school dumped Frank Solich and went to Bill Callahan, Callahan dismantled the walk-on program because he wanted to concentrate on big name, big ego kids from the west coast. The program hasn't been the same since. Well, enough of the history lesson.

I'd like to see RE put some effort into recruiting these big farm kids with line play taught right. It won't be easy given the pull of South Dakota and the like have established, but it certainly couldn't hurt.

I don’t believe this for a second.

The future of the northeastern US in Football is the more talented younger prospects going to Prep. And there are abundant rising Prep programs within 3 hours of Hartford.

I’d take a Folurunso Fatakasi over your Farm boys

Reaction Score
The data proves that its possible for us to improve recruiting as an independent

Is THAT THE SAME data that shows UMass, an independent, ahead of us? Data can be manipulated, period.

Guys no longer get an offer because they shower, put on a suit and smile at the HC in a RKG way. I am flummoxed by the same folks who (correctly) screamed about recruiting under Big Bob and now can't understand why we are in such a hole.

The program is treading on thin ice and everyone knows it - but for whatever reason, the recruits have not trailed off, yet. Like others i am anxiously awaiting something from the school that demonstrates some commitment to 1A football. This (move to BE/Indep.) was either a calculated roll of the dice or another example of incompetence. Unfortunately, I am trained to wait for more evidence before concluding - then again, it may be a desperate plea to think that my commitment to the program this century was not for naught.

And yes, just what a program operating on a shoestring should do is assign one of their underpaid assistants to travel to the badlands in search of a diamond in the rough, especially since we have ZERO contacts there and could not even offer a kid a chance for his family to see him play close to home.

Reaction Score
No way.

Walt Bell doesn’t even know what exit to get off on the Mass Pike yet.

I have lived in Central Massachusetts for the vast majority of my life. I have been to Amherst many times. I still do not know what exit to get off on the Mass Pike. Give the man a break, UMass is not an easy place to get to!

By the way who is Walt Bell?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If UConn could actually consistently recruit in the 60s-80s, they program would be alright.

It's when we're above 100 that we can't compete.

Reaction Score
Honest question: if you had a son who was a 3 star recruit with a couple P5 and upper echelon G5 offers would you send them off to Storrs in this current situation?

I would not. And this is coming from a giant UConn fan. It’s a celebration anytime we land any player with another FBS offer.
Agree. I can't think of UConn beating any P5 program for a recruit if we go 3-9 this season or worse. Ok, maybe Rutgers but that's it. An on-campus stadium would help but that won't happen

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

I don’t know, it really depends on a lot more facts. Does he have a shot at the NFL? Then no. What are the academic rankings of all the schools concerned? If he’s not going to play pro in the other schools are all lower than UConn I think I’d lean towards UConn. Which school does he like better? If it’s Connecticut, then obviously you send him there. What’s his major? Do the other schools have as good a reputation as Connecticut doesn’t it? If no then you send them to UConn.

Most of the guys we recruit are not going to be locks for the NFL to that probably isn’t the deciding factor.

For what it’s worth, for my kids, I discuss the pros and cons with them, but let them make whatever decision they were happy with. At the end of the day, they were the ones who needed to be happy.

Reaction Score
Pudge, I like your allegiance to your local area. It's admirable. I'm sure that bringing in 1-star recruits within 3 hours of Storrs will eventually yield big results. (sorry, unnecessary sarcasm:confused:)

But, I will give you the nod when it comes to relevance in recruiting farm boys. Of the 25 Nebraska walk-ons who have been drafted, of which 15 who were line and LB's, most were developed, not complete specimens when they arrived in Lincoln. Most were undersized and needed several years of a constant and unrelenting nutrition and weight training regimen.

I have some first hand-ish knowledge of this. I play softball with a guy on the 94/95 NC teams and another from 97. Both were walk-ons and went from unrecruited decent HS players to 2nd and 3rd stringers who regularly saw playing time even if it was a half dozen plays a game. Both laugh when they say that they were hounded day and night to build weight and strength. As a side note, both also talk about Coach Osborne's commitment to their education. The 94/95 guy said that his GPA was just south of 4.0. He was having some trouble in a course, and apparently the teacher alerted the athletic department. Next thing he knows he (a 3rd stringer) is called into Osborne's office and is asked what was needed to get his grade back up (tutors, extra study time etc). He said it blew him away.

I don't know anything about 2nd tier recruiting in Texas, Oklahoma, Iowa, etc. But, Scott Frost is making Nebraska recruiting a thing again after 15+ years of neglect. But, I still think that someone in CT should be looking into the area.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When family-owned farms, larger families, and many Nebraska and other flyover states fielded (pun intended) 7-9 man gridiron teams, Osborne successfully recruited many overlooked players as walk-ons in the ‘70s.

As some Cornbelt populations shrinking, schools close or merge, etc, wondering about Frost’s potential to replicate Osborne’s specific walk-on success ... ???

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From a quality pure numbers player rating standpoint, no but they are close. From an in state recruiting standpoint and volume, yes definitely. Five of Umass's sixteen 3 star recruits are from Massachusetts while none of Uconn's ten 3 star recruits are from Connecticut. Another reason why Edsall must go IMO, his recruiting record in CT is bad and is getting worse. That being said, would a win over UMass help recruiting, probably.

The Fairfield County kids simply wont go to UConn. I don’t know if that’s directly related to Edsall or the school / program itself.

Edsall has always done pretty good with the new haven and Hartford county kids for the most part.

Reaction Score
247 might be a bit loose with the three stars rating for players. So UMass has 16 three stars out of 18 players. UConn has 10 of their recruits as three stars. Did they just make everyone a minimum three stars? Many players with only FCS offers are three stars.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The Fairfield County kids simply wont go to UConn. I don’t know if that’s directly related to Edsall or the school / program itself.

Edsall has always done pretty good with the new haven and Hartford county kids for the most part.
After the Fairfield County coaches got "their guy" in Pasqualoni, they still didn't send anyone to UConn. That isn't on Edsall- it is on them.

Reaction Score

There have been a few from Fairfield County over the years, Sean Mulcahey, Scott Lutrus, Casey Cochran, Brandon Bisack, Jackson Mitchell, UConn offered Phommacanh his Sophomore year at Harding, a TE from Staples High can't remember his name, Trevardo Williams, and probably 4 or 5 I'm forgetting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There has been massive increase in the number of 3* football recruits on 24/7. Here are the numbers:

2020:
30 5*s
318 4*s
2370 3*s

2010:
32 5*s
314 4*s
1633 3*s

2005:
38 5*s
212 4*s
860 3*s

Instead of fighting fans over rankings, it seems every recruit that has committed to a team that has a paid 24/7 site automatically gets 3*s. I would think it's pretty hard to differentiate among the ratings of the bottom half of the 3* recruits so you are really dependent on how well your team's coaching staff evaluates and develops the talent.

When you look at UMass' 18 recruits, 10 had no other offers. For UConn's 10 recruits, 2 had no other offers (both Canadians).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom