Is UConn on the move again? Pay attention, folks | The Boneyard

Is UConn on the move again? Pay attention, folks

Reaction Score
Oh boy!! here we go again. There's a report that the Big 12 is recruiting UConn and of course, the carrot is money 30 million in revenue vs the 5 million we currently bring in...What do my fellow bone-yarders think. Personally, I'd prefer we stay in the Big East but can we sustain losing money? If we do move I'd prefer the ACC or SEC what are your thoughts ????

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is losing both Oklahoma and Texas but it still will be a stronger WBB conference than the Big East...............would be great for recruiting in the Midwest and Soutwest too but that's a whole lot of travel..........I'd wait and see what happens with the ACC before I did anything....

Reaction Score
I would give an OK, personnal point, it's cool to be back in the Big East but it's not the old BE, why not go to a P5 conference ?
But I Think the school decision, or conference decision, will not depend on women's basketball, but more on football

Reaction Score
While I cannot think of the perfect answer to UConn's conference dilemma, I have to question what the results of the outcome will be. I still remember when Boston College was at Top 20 basketball and football school and put money first. The results since they moved conferences have been less than stellar. I believe UConn in basketball, both men's and women's, is more of a national brand and more likely to continue their success but don't like the risk the Huskies are being forced to take.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
While I cannot think of the perfect answer to UConn's conference dilemma, I have to question what the results of the outcome will be. I still remember when Boston College was at Top 20 basketball and football school and put money first. The results since they moved conferences have been less than stellar. I believe UConn in basketball, both men's and women's, is more of a national brand and more likely to continue their success but don't like the risk the Huskies are being forced to take.
Yes, where are Syracuse, Pitt, Va Tech (football), BC, Louisville, and Miami today? For some schools the wbb team is its best program but, unfortunately, that’s not where the money is

Reaction Score
UConn athletics runs a $40+ million deficit every year. I don't think that's sustainable. If someone wants to write the check to cover that every year, then we can probably stay in this conference in perpetuity.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn athletics runs a $40+ million deficit every year. I don't think that's sustainable. If someone wants to write the check to cover that every year, then we can probably stay in this conference in perpetuity.
I'll share a thought here that I believe is the "cornerstone" of BIG business, and has been for decades..............if it makes dollars, it makes sense." :cool:

Reaction Score
Yes, where are Syracuse, Pitt, Va Tech (football), BC, Louisville, and Miami today? For some schools the wbb team is its best program but, unfortunately, that’s not where the money is
Sad but true. The problem with money in college athletics is not NIL. It’s the conferences and the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Every good football conference needs a couple of good punching bags........like Rutgers, it's conceivable that UConn could reach some kind of respectability in the future........there certainly aren't many college programs with UConn's winning basketball tradition.........it might be a one-time phenomenon, but wouldn't you agree that women's basketball made a real leap forward in terms of viewer popularity this past season? If Paige and Azzi could remain healthy I'll bet that trend continues next season.........as far as strange fits go, how did UCLA and USC move to the Big Ten with Rutgers and Maryland?

Reaction Score
The concept of regional conferences in Division 1 is extinct. Conference membership and alignment is more about media markets and the number of eyeballs (sports consumer dollars) the teams in the conference can bring to the viewership table.

Oklahoma and Texas are moving to the SEC because they have a better TV deal than the Big 12. USC and UCLA are moving to the B1G for the same reasons. If the ACC can't improve their media deals you can expect Florida State and Clemson, at least, to move. With the PAC whatever number they end up being network on life support, you will see schools like Oregon, Washington, Arizona/Arizona State, and Utah moving if they are given the opportunity unless the conference gets their act together.

It's a brave (not so new) world that you can trace back to the mid 1980's or so when college football broadcast rights were being negotiated between the networks and ESPN.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The concept of regional conferences in Division 1 is extinct. Conference membership and alignment is more about media markets and the number of eyeballs (sports consumer dollars) the teams in the conference can bring to the viewership table.

Oklahoma and Texas are moving to the SEC because they have a better TV deal than the Big 12. USC and UCLA are moving to the B1G for the same reasons. If the ACC can't improve their media deals you can expect Florida State and Clemson, at least, to move. With the PAC whatever number they end up being network on life support, you will see schools like Oregon, Washington, Arizona/Arizona State, and Utah moving if they are given the opportunity unless the conference gets their act together.

It's a brave (not so new) world that you can trace back to the mid 1980's or so when college football broadcast rights were being negotiated between the networks and ESPN.

FSU and Clemson ain't going anywhere, at least not to the Big 10 or SEC. The SEC doesn't want either, and the Big 10 would rather have Chapel Hill, UVA, and Duke before FSU or Clemson. Florida State needs to pipe down, those haven't done anything in Football in a decade.

Reaction Score
Although ESPN does have the Seminoles ranked at No.. 3 in their much too early Spring college football power rankings. I know the BIG has been somewhat selective in the past based on a school's perceived academic standing and reputation for research, so you may be correct in that FSU won't be on their radar.

You think the SEC sees FSU and Clemson as competition with Florida and South Carolina so they aren't interested? I can understand that.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
You have to remember that BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF join the Big 12 this July. While Texas and Oklahoma are are leaving within the next two years and currently there are negotiations where those two could leave as early as this year, last I heard.

Reaction Score
Could just the football team join the Big 12? That seems better than being independent. However, I would prefer all other sports to remain in the Big East.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom