is UC our friendliest rival? | The Boneyard

is UC our friendliest rival?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'd consider them rivals. Same conference the past decade. Tons of close games. Good teams. But I'll root for them most days they're not playing us. Is UC our friendliest rival???

I might cry tears of joy if they beat Kentucky.

Although I think Kentucky wins, maybe they can give them a game?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I think this has to do with the quality of their online fans. Kobe adds a lot to this board when he comes, and he doesn't resort to trolling and other garbage behaviors like PC and Memphis fans do. I used to feel really neutral towards PC and Memphis, but after being a member of this board I find myself rooting against both schools at all costs.

Reaction Score
I think this has to do with the quality of their online fans. Kobe adds a lot to this board when he comes, and he doesn't resort to trolling and other garbage behaviors like PC and Memphis fans do. I used to feel really neutral towards PC and Memphis, but after being a member of this board I find myself rooting against both schools at all costs.

Kobe is a good fan, and Cincy people are OK, but I really don't like Cronin, LOL.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Is this like the tallest gnome?

Reaction Score
upstater said:
Kobe is a good fan, and Cincy people are OK, but I really don't like Cronin, LOL.

I love Cronin. He's a fighter and a sore loser, much like our Hall of Fame coach was. I'd love to see Mick make a FF.

Reaction Score
I love Cronin. He's a fighter and a sore loser, much like our Hall of Fame coach was. I'd love to see Mick make a FF.

How was Calhoun a sore loser? The guy pumped up all his opponents, complimented them, not knocked them.

Reaction Score
Yale, can't say anything bad about them. We seem to be pretty even with them lately. 1-1 in the last few years They got screwed out of an NIT bid and choked away their season like we did. Also, they are in state rivals

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Cronin's an angry Irishman who hates the rest of the world. That alone reminds me of Calhoun and makes me kind of partial to him.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Our biggest rival currently is ourselves. Best rival in the BE before it broke up was Syracuse and even then it wasn't a perfect rival like Alabama Auburn, Duke UNC because Syracuse felt their major rival was Georgetown.

This league hasn't been around long enough to have a rival. Hopefully someday I'll see a thread like this and say the biggest rival is Maryland. Geographically it should be Rutgers but a university has to have a reasonable bb team to be our rival.

Reaction Score
Our biggest rival currently is ourselves. Best rival in the BE before it broke up was Syracuse and even then it wasn't a perfect rival like Alabama Auburn, Duke UNC because Syracuse felt their major rival was Georgetown.

This league hasn't been around long enough to have a rival. Hopefully someday I'll see a thread like this and say the biggest rival is Maryland. Geographically it should be Rutgers but a university has to have a reasonable bb team to be our rival.

That was my point with Yale, I don't feel anything about Cinci. If they were gone, I won't miss the games one bit. I miss the Syracuse, Nova, GT, Pitt and even the Providence games. Cinci...meh

Reaction Score
We have to be careful of lumping all fans into a category defined by a couple of jerks, especially those that come to our board. Memphis fans in general are cool and respectful and appreciative of what we've done. PeeCee fans have always been contenious with us, reason being there's history.

As for rivals I wouldn't mind resurrecting a PeeCee series or BC for that matter. Its boring having no true rivals and Cincy ain't one in my book.

It would be nice to have a local rival is all I'm saying. A uk series would also work as there's some history there as well.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
We have to be careful of lumping all fans into a category defined by a couple of jerks, especially those that come to our board. Memphis fans in general are cool and respectful and appreciative of what we've done. PeeCee fans have always been contenious with us, reason being there's history.

As for rivals I wouldn't mind resurrecting a PeeCee series or BC for that matter. Its boring having no true rivals and Cincy ain't one in my book.

It would be nice to have a local rival is all I'm saying. A uk series would also work as there's some history there as well.
Agree with you for the most part and would have given you a like except for the last line. And only way I want to play BCU is if UConn is in the ACC. Don't need to lower the SOS.

Reaction Score

Since we have too many far away games against teams with crappy RPIs and SOS, we need to start scheduling more local teams with better metrics. That means bring out our former BE teams. We should have combination for 4 games each year, home or away with either NOVA, PC, BC, St Johns, Cuse, Hall and even Rutgers. Sure, we are no longer in the BE, but we still wish we were playing those teams and have old rivalries with them. Fans would be excited to play them (well some of them) and we would help our metrics. Plus the travel wouldn't be bad and we could even get a Garden game vs. one of the 3 metro teams. We can't control the dreck we play in conference, but we can certainly improve the metrics and give the fans that old rivalry feel.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Philly and Dallas are currently the two best cities for actuaries. Hartford is #8. So if Hartford wants to regain the title of Insurance City, the path runs through Temple and SMU.

Hey, when you have no rivals you have to get creative.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Since we have too many far away games against teams with crappy RPIs and SOS, we need to start scheduling more local teams with better metrics. That means bring out our former BE teams. We should have combination for 4 games each year, home or away with either NOVA, PC, BC, St Johns, Cuse, Hall and even Rutgers. Sure, we are no longer in the BE, but we still wish we were playing those teams and have old rivalries with them. Fans would be excited to play them (well some of them) and we would help our metrics. Plus the travel wouldn't be bad and we could even get a Garden game vs. one of the 3 metro teams. We can't control the dreck we play in conference, but we can certainly improve the metrics and give the fans that old rivalry feel.
I'd take St. Johns, PC, Nova, Louisville, WV, Notre Dame and/or Georgetown. Don't want BC after they screwed UConn in last round of CR. Same with Pitt. Still maintain Boeheim's and JC's friendship was not equal. If the tables were turned JC would have insisted on a Cuse UConn home and away series. Cuse does not want to make this offer. I don't want any part of them. Let the orange rot on the branch.

No to Hall or Rutgers. Hall had a good year this year but more often then not they and Rutgers are like the bottom of the AAC.

Reaction Score
I'd take St. Johns, PC, Nova, Louisville, WV, Notre Dame and/or Georgetown. Don't want BC after they screwed UConn in last round of CR. Same with Pitt. Still maintain Boeheim's and JC's friendship was not equal. If the tables were turned JC would have insisted on a Cuse UConn home and away series. Cuse does not want to make this offer. I don't want any part of them. Let the orange rot on the branch.

No to Hall or Rutgers. Hall had a good year this year but more often then not they and Rutgers are like the bottom of the AAC.

Yes, but I was looking for old BE games that would be drivable for UCONN fans if we did home and homes. Rutgers and Hall are still a lot better then Central, Bryant and Coppin State

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Yes, but I was looking for old BE games that would be drivable for UCONN fans if we did home and homes. Rutgers and Hall are still a lot better then Central, Bryant and Coppin State
I understood your parameters and don't disagree with geography. But for the reasons I stated I prefer eliminating some of your choices for now.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I have no problem with Cincinnati fans, but I hate Caupain and Ellis.
Really?
I wish we had some attitude like that on our squad this year. Ellis is a favorite of mine, damn I wish they had beaten Kensucky, oh well.... All my chips are in on Grant from ND to deliver the knockout blow now

Reaction Score
Philly and Dallas are currently the two best cities for actuaries. Hartford is #8. So if Hartford wants to regain the title of Insurance City, the path runs through Temple and SMU.

Hey, when you have no rivals you have to get creative.
Crazy as it sounds, I think we already have a rivalry established with Temple and SMU in football and basketball. If we're stuck in this conference for a bit, it's going to grow over time. Which sucks but whatever. SMU is a wealthy school.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We don't have a rivalry with Cincinnati.

We share a common misery and nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom