Is Trilly Donovan Matt Norlander? Or Jeff Goodman? | The Boneyard

Is Trilly Donovan Matt Norlander? Or Jeff Goodman?

Reaction Score
There's a lot of intrigue among college basketball fans who Trilly Donovan really is. Norlander digitally interviewed Trilly and says it's not him. Norlander tries to ask a bunch of questions to see if he can figure out who Trilly is.

If you're the type of online college basketball fan that doggedly follows the coaching carousel, the transfer portal and high-profile high school commitments, then you are almost certainly aware of an online persona that came to prominence in the past year: Trilly Donovan. The cloaked account — anonymously run by one person, per the alleged one person running the account — does not make a habit of doing interviews and frequently turns down podcast requests.

Trilly made an exception for CBS Sports. (What better time, what with carousel season about to kick into another gear.)

Trilly's presence on Twitter/X has not come without controversy. He's appreciated by tens of thousands of college basketball fans, who anxiously await any kind of scoop or cryptic post that may or may not prove true, but he's also drawn ire privately from coaches, agents, athletic directors and others for putting information considered sensitive or off the record. (Readers, if you only realized how many people in basketball have devoted hours and hours and hours of their lives trying to uncover this guy's identity ... )

I asked him for an interview to address this, in addition to some conversation on the carousel, what to expect in the next month and, of course, why he just won't give up his identity. The person behind the alias agreed to give honest answers for all of my questions. This Q&A — conducted over digital messaging — has been slightly edited for clarity and brevity.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Pitino's name-drop, your pseudonym has become well-known and increasingly referenced in coaching circles in the past year. So let's have it: How many staffs are now feeding you information and/or looking for information?

TD: I don't have a concrete number, but it's ... a lot. Both feeding and looking.

Reaction Score
What's the most funniest/most ridiculous/outlandish DM you've gotten from a coach recently?

TD: I had a coach DM me a video of him running to the Rocky steps the other day. In the rain.

Hurley? :)

Reaction Score
Goodman’s an idiot.

Comical to read an interview where Norlander interviews himself.

Also, convinced SamuraiHoops is GP.

Reaction Score
If you think he’s Jeff Goodman, you’re dumber than Jeff Goodman.
Of course. Norlander throws out Goodman's name as one a lot of people guess.

There are some who have assumed I am you and you are me. At least this should quell that intrigue for 11 people. Give me the three funniest guesses you've come across.
TD: How do we know this isn't a Fight Club situation? Everyone always assumes I'm Jeff Goodman or Andrew Slater, but I've also gotten Dane Fife, Joe Tipton and Billy Donovan's son.

Reaction Score
Goodman’s an idiot.

Comical to read an interview where Norlander interviews himself.
Should the time ever come to reveal your identity, can I have the scoop?
TD: Brother, you don't even follow me!

Why would I follow myself?

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
There's a lot of intrigue among college basketball fans who Trilly Donovan really is. Norlander digitally interviewed Trilly and says it's not him. Norlander tries to ask a bunch of questions to see if he can figure out who Trilly is.

If you're the type of online college basketball fan that doggedly follows the coaching carousel, the transfer portal and high-profile high school commitments, then you are almost certainly aware of an online persona that came to prominence in the past year: Trilly Donovan. The cloaked account — anonymously run by one person, per the alleged one person running the account — does not make a habit of doing interviews and frequently turns down podcast requests.

Trilly made an exception for CBS Sports. (What better time, what with carousel season about to kick into another gear.)

Trilly's presence on Twitter/X has not come without controversy. He's appreciated by tens of thousands of college basketball fans, who anxiously await any kind of scoop or cryptic post that may or may not prove true, but he's also drawn ire privately from coaches, agents, athletic directors and others for putting information considered sensitive or off the record. (Readers, if you only realized how many people in basketball have devoted hours and hours and hours of their lives trying to uncover this guy's identity ... )

I asked him for an interview to address this, in addition to some conversation on the carousel, what to expect in the next month and, of course, why he just won't give up his identity. The person behind the alias agreed to give honest answers for all of my questions. This Q&A — conducted over digital messaging — has been slightly edited for clarity and brevity.

Trilly is using a burner for the interview?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom