Is this valid? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is this valid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I dismiss any assertion that Louisville's invite was some sort of foregone conclusion. It's not like Herbst and Manuel woke up one day last month and realized that they needed FSU and Clemson's votes.

We should have been networking and feeling these schools out since last fall.

When it counted, Herbst and Manuel failed. That's simply undeniable.

Red Herring? Pffffffffffft. If it was so not a big deal, and Louisville was in anyways, then why did Jurich stay home instead of going to Atlantis as planned?

Come on guys. Quit apologizing for failure.

He outhustled our guys, but in the end it comes down to FSU v. UNC, and FSU had enough leverage to bring over most of the conference. This is why UNC's AD makes a ridiculously pissy statement a day later.

I once had a friend at a school announce to the hiring committee that he wanted to hire me, then he called me his friend. That right there torpedo'd my candidacy. This is what happened with UConn. UConn was UNC's school--and that was enough for FSU to go all out against UConn. If it was Cincy v. UConn, the result might have been the same.

And the reason why Wake Forest and the like stuck with UNC is because in the case of any conference fallout, FSU is not going to look after their interests. UNC might. WF and the like can't afford to piss off UNC.

Reaction Score
To be fair, a lot of this cult worship appeared before they even started doing their jobs. Admittedly, it has proven to be undeserved so far, at least in Manual's case. This respect has quickly waned as they failed to get us into the ACC when the situation couldn't have been more favorable to us.

I would fire Manual immediately if it meant hiring a competent AD. Unfortunately, if he was Herbst's #1 target, I would hate to see her back-up plans.

My question is, how do we put pressure on Manual to do his job correctly? I understand that empty seats at The Rent will do the job, but I don't want to give up on the kids playing their hearts out onto the field.

I hope you understand this "worship" doesn't apply to me.

I was aware of Manuel long before this board was.

As well, I'm probably one of the ones who has been most critical about the Ollie situation, and have been since the start. That should be obvious to anyone on the BB board.

I'm sorry, but when it comes to realignment, I call them how I see him. I have no stake in the performance of the AD but I certainly don't see him as a problem when it comes to realignment.

Zoocougar wondered why he is getting paid $500k. That's a good question. Beyond that, I can't say anything about what's going on since this is all happening in a much higher stratosphere than WM.

Reaction Score

As well, I'm probably one of the ones who has been most critical about the Ollie situation, and have been since the start. That should be obvious to anyone on the BB board.

I'm sorry, but when it comes to realignment, I call them how I see him. I have no stake in the performance of the AD but I certainly don't see him as a problem when it comes to realignment.

Zoocougar wondered why he is getting paid $500k. That's a good question. Beyond that, I can't say anything about what's going on since this is all happening in a much higher stratosphere than WM.

I've been aware of Manuel since Turner Gill got passed over by Auburn.

When I heard he had been hired, I was disappointed. A supposedly "national search" had resulted in a regional hire.

I define regional hire as: A hire that only people in your region would make. If the best Herbst could do was him, then I wonder why the contract is so lucrative? Did we really have to pay him that much to lure him away from Buffalo?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
WM was a highly referenced former Assistant AD from a power FB school (Michigan) with good AD experience at a lower level. He fit the exact profile if you correctly assume we weren't pulling a sitting AD from a big time FB program.

Not every draft pick pans out. I had no.problem with his hiring. It's the strange decisions he's made to date. The KO contract is a real head scratcher and shows a lack of imagination, or too much.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I don't think any of us knows what went wrong with realignment. Did WM fail to sell UConn as agressively as Jurich? Maybe. Was it decisive? Doubtful. Were we caught in a blood feud between FSU and UNC? Maybe. Was it decisive? Doubtful. I continue to believe that UConn was the better fit for the ACC. At this point, we are throwing crap against the way to see what sticks. The various schools may each have their own reasons. Maybe some of them hate Calhoun. Maybe others want to stick it to UNC and Duke. Maybe others are still mad about the lawsuit from Blumenthal. Maybe it's our weak history in football. Maybe the absence of Calhoun means our BBall is devalued now. Others may have wanted to retain more of a southern culture. Perhaps Louisville's athletic efforts impressed others.

Reaction Score
WM was a highly referenced former Assistant AD from a power FB school (Michigan) with good AD experience at a lower level. He fit the exact profile if you correctly assume we weren't pulling a sitting AD from a big time FB program.

Not every draft pick pans out. I had no.problem with his hiring. It's the strange decisions he's made to date. The KO contract is a real head scratcher and shows a lack of imagination, or too much.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I agree on the profile. But it still feels "regional" to me. Regional isn't automatically bad, but I would think that when the position opened, he was probably one of the first to apply.

He seems passive to me. He seems to delay making big decisions.

It could be that delaying on Ollie was his way of asserting himself. I have to admit, if I were just hired as the Director of and athletic department with 11 NCs, and the HoF coach decided to retire on me AND pick the one of the two positions that I would get judged against FOR ME. I would be pissed off too, and probably would look for a way to indicate that I was in charge.

That's benefit of the doubt territory right there. But really, Pasqualoni's failures next season are on Warde's shoulders now. Whatever hole Pasqualoni puts this program in is Warde's hole. Warde had the chance to remove him. The buyout was not an issue!

Reaction Score
I dont know any AD hired when WM was who would have given an unproven assistant the head coaching job (crown jewel) at UConn--and, by extension, grant that much power to Calhoun. History is replete with failing hand-picked successors. This particular criticism of WM has to stop. I wouldn't extend KO's contract until the players' grades are known and it's been determined-- by WM-- that KO is the right coach for UConn going forward. I commend WM for being careful here.

Reaction Score
I dont know any AD hired when WM was who would have given an unproven assistant the head coaching job (crown jewel) at UConn--and, by extension, grant that much power to Calhoun. History is replete with failing hand-picked successors. This particular criticism of WM has to stop. I wouldn't extend KO's contract until the players' grades are known and it's been determined-- by WM-- that KO is the right coach for UConn going forward. I commend WM for being careful here.
I agree with this but there are not too many assistant coaches who have 16 years in the NBA. Who better to go into a top recruits home and be able to tell him how he can get him to the NBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom