Is This Usual for DT? | The Boneyard

Is This Usual for DT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have always thought of her as a fiesty player but she really seems to have a chip on her shoulder with the WNBA. The excessive technical fouls and then last night she seemed to have completely lost her cool, picking up a bunch of fouls at the end of the game and fouling out while the outcome of the game was still undecided.

Just seems like there is something going on that maybe I don't understand as I have not followed her pro career this closely until she and BG became teammates.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
ETT, I think you aren't far off when you note that DT may have a chip on her shoulder with the WNBA. Diana does not do "turn the other cheek" very well. And, what I think she believes is, she doesn't have to when it comes to the WNBA. Her resume is complete - the WNBA can add little, if anything to it. They certainly can't significantly differ her bank account - she makes far more money overseas.

So, if she thinks that she's getting shafted by the officials, or indirectly by the league (for ignoring the problems she brings to their attention), then she may well be taking a "screw it" attitude. "I'll play the way I want, and, if they don't like it, sit me down. I'm sure the people in the stands and watching on TV paid their good money to see me sitting on the bench."

It's almost looking like a contest of wills between the league and DT, like she is "forcing the issue" somewhat. Fix it, or else - with "or else" being a reduction in DT participation, be it by foul count or DT absenting herself. DT isn't the first prominent female basketball player to limit their WNBA participation, but she might be the one raising the most fuss.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
ETT, I think you aren't far off when you note that DT may have a chip on her shoulder with the WNBA. Diana does not do "turn the other cheek" very well. And, what I think she believes is, she doesn't have to when it comes to the WNBA. Her resume is complete - the WNBA can add little, if anything to it. They certainly can't significantly differ her bank account - she makes far more money overseas.

So, if she thinks that she's getting shafted by the officials, or indirectly by the league (for ignoring the problems she brings to their attention), then she may well be taking a "screw it" attitude. "I'll play the way I want, and, if they don't like it, sit me down. I'm sure the people in the stands and watching on TV paid their good money to see me sitting on the bench."

It's almost looking like a contest of wills between the league and DT, like she is "forcing the issue" somewhat. Fix it, or else - with "or else" being a reduction in DT participation, be it by foul count or DT absenting herself. DT isn't the first prominent female basketball player to limit their WNBA participation, but she might be the one raising the most fuss.

Very interesting. I absolutely LOVE DT so my question is in no way a criticism of her. I hope that come playoff time she can keep herself in the game without damaging the team's chances of winning.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
blah blah blah...

I have no issue with feistiness - but take what comes with it. And don't try to makes excuese for it.

DT is not proving -- or improving -- anything with her actions, other than the WNBA's charity of choice (which is, I believe, where fines go.)

If she's playing with a "nothing to prove" attitude, then she shouldn't be playing. Phx, correctly or incorrectly, and DT got a lot of flax for last season's actions. They also got a lot of GM love, anticipating that they could put it together for a good run. I'm guessing they had a LOT to "prove" this year, and it's not worked out. Granted, there have been injuries, but to call the season deeply disappointing is not far off.

Seattle is down Bird and LJ and their "no name" players are showing more togetherness and chutzpah than DT seems to be.

Reaction Score
blah blah blah...

I have no issue with feistiness - but take what comes with it. And don't try to makes excuese for it.

DT is not proving -- or improving -- anything with her actions, other than the WNBA's charity of choice (which is, I believe, where fines go.)

If she's playing with a "nothing to prove" attitude, then she shouldn't be playing. Phx, correctly or incorrectly, and DT got a lot of flax for last season's actions. They also got a lot of GM love, anticipating that they could put it together for a good run. I'm guessing they had a LOT to "prove" this year, and it's not worked out. Granted, there have been injuries, but to call the season deeply disappointing is not far off.

Seattle is down Bird and LJ and their "no name" players are showing more togetherness and chutzpah than DT seems to be.

well stated. she seems to care little at this point about how her actions are affecting her team.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Maybe DT was looking forward to BG coming in and taking some pressure off of her and the team not relying so heavily on her for EVERYTHING, which is what they seem to be doing. And with BG having been so limited in play DT is being forced to carry a huge load that I don't think she is particularly happy about.

Could her actions also be directed at Gaines since she knows that not being in games is going to hurt him and the team more than anyone else? Is it possible that she is angry with the Phoenix organization for asking her to sit last season? Is it possible that she is thinking "fine, you didn't want me to play last season, then see how it feels when you are without me this season"?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't watch enough of the WNBA to comment on DTs on court actions this season, but I doubt it has anything to do with her sitting last year - she was not 100% and I think she was very happy to rest her body rather than to struggle on in futility for what was already a pretty bad season. If she is angry with Gaines or the team ownership the only thing I reason that would make sense is if she doesn't feel they are doing enough to support her in relation to the excessive fouling she feels she is subject to and the excessive foul calls she feels she gets. Sometimes a coach needs to take the T for the player. Again don't watch enough to know if this is a possible dynamic at play. Otherwise - she is just generally frustrated, certainly hope it is not something serious off the court.
And it isn't as if DT hasn't given her all to the Phoenix team. I am continually impressed with the way US stars play every year in the WNBA when the pay is so low, and they are making their serious money overseas and playing 12 months a year. Some of them have been 'fortunate' to get injuries that force them to take time off (and surprisingly, when they can choose the timing of surgery it occurs during the WNBA season - (sarcasm.)) DT has been 'unfortunate' not to have one of those injuries so she has been playing for 10 years without a break until taking some of last season off. And the pressure applied by Phoenix and by the WNBA to not take a season off is pretty intense - it was pretty intense when she just opined that she might have to in a few years time - this was about 5 years ago and it caused a huge stir.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
way US stars play every year in the WNBA when the pay is so low, and they are making their serious money overseas

For three months of work, the pay is just fine. It's what the league can afford. If they don't want to play, then don't...

The super top players get bucks abroad... but - they play a longer season AND they don't play as many games... AND it's not a business.

Oh, and she had that unpleasant business in Turkey that gave her a break... so, I'm not buying she's tired.

As for the "acting out" excuses -- if you want to assume that she holds a grudge (and keeps her tongue) for an entire year and then acts out her year-old anger like a teenager, go ahead. But acting out has always been part of her repertoire. Some times she manages it better... sometimes she doesn't.

She doesn't make excuses for her behavior or attitude, why should we?

Reaction Score
Diana Taurasi is feisty.

She's got a problem with the officials. And she's got a problem with the league not doing anything about them.

She's right. She's completely right. The officials are worse than pathetic. It's just she doesn't go about making her point the right way.

Then again, I don't know that she's "making a point" in the moment. She's always been reactionary. She was always the player that got called for the foul for retaliating. It's just frustration.

Diana wouldn't be the same player without those little "blow up" games. 90% of the time, her emotions do the team good. This is how she's always been.

Reaction Score
I think you nailed it Pinot.

She's played more years than ANYONE can have expected her to. I can't blame her for thinking, "I don't have to put up with this cr*p" especially when a career ending injury ALWAYS lurks in the background (and most of us remember the kind of physical beating she enjoyed every night at UCONN).

She's earned the right to act out a bit.

ETT, I think you aren't far off when you note that DT may have a chip on her shoulder with the WNBA. Diana does not do "turn the other cheek" very well.fuss.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
She's earned the right to act out a bit.

No, she's simply fortunate she's in a profession where "acting out" (aka being unprofessional and immature) is considered ok. Do you want that behavior from yourself, your co-workers, your children, your partners?

And sorry - calling b*ll on "worse than pathetic" and "career ending injury" excuses. 'cause that's what they are, excuses.

refs make mistakes. (and sometimes players THINK they have made mistakes, and the tape clearly show they haven't) players make mistakes. how would we feel about DT if anytime her teammate made a mistake, she went off on them like she does on refs? This is a new habit in the women's game, and they're simply copying the men's game.... I'm not particularly fond of it (let the coach do it) but hey, people like the drama (reality tv influence much?).

career ending injuries happen -- and rarely because of some action -- or lack of action -- of an official. so pointing fingers and/or excusing actions in "anticipation" of something is whimpy.

as for being beaten up? hello. welcome to basketball. uconn/dt were never shy about physicality. Though, actually, Geno has called them out on being soft. Wonder how he wanted them to react? Be softer?

Reaction Score
The bottom line is, the WNBA needs Diana Taurasi more than she needs the WNBA. Analogies to a regular job isn't quite applicable.

And therefore, perhaps the WNBA ought to address some of Diana's concerns.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
The bottom line is, the WNBA needs Diana Taurasi more than she needs the WNBA. Analogies to a regular job isn't quite applicable.

And therefore, perhaps the WNBA ought to address some of Diana's concerns.

LOL. Why isn't it analogous to a "regular" job? You don't think people in "regular" jobs get away with carp because they think their company needs them more than they need the company? The W survived just fine without DT last year. Look at Parker and Griner and EDD and Catch and such.... If she's so "unhappy," leave.

And what, exactly, are her concerns? That she doesn't get away with mouthing off and swearing? She doesn't get the calls SHE thinks she deserves? If she really had a universal vs. a selfish issue, I'd expect she be able to watch other teams & players and talk about the "issues" she has with the game overall, not just her experience.

Coaches, fans and players across the leagues like to complain about officiating from a self-centered point of view. Which is their right. But they don't REALLY want to do anything about it, because then what would they complain about?

Reaction Score
DT is and has been the biggest thing in women's basketball. She deserves the respect MJ received during his career, not the abuse she is getting from the Refs.

Reaction Score
DT is and has been the biggest thing in women's basketball. She deserves the respect MJ received during his career, not the abuse she is getting from the Refs.
I agree to a point, but it's a two-way street.

WNBA refs are comically bad, and it's an absolute farce that there seems to be no accountability for their incompetence. How do you expect a league to gain credibility when it has refs on salary who aren't good enough to officiate my co-ed league?

But at the same time, Taurasi treats officials like garbage, which only causes them to give her fewer and fewer calls. Whether they mean to give DT the short end of the stick or not (and they certainly do give her the short end), it's only human nature to respond that way to someone who treats you like dirt.

In other words, both sides are at fault here.

(Also, it's laughably stupid to compare playing a sport for a living to a regular job. Calling that analogy apples to oranges would be a massive understatement.)

Reaction Score
LOL. Why isn't it analogous to a "regular" job? You don't think people in "regular" jobs get away with carp because they think their company needs them more than they need the company? The W survived just fine without DT last year. Look at Parker and Griner and EDD and Catch and such.... If she's so "unhappy," leave.

And what, exactly, are her concerns? That she doesn't get away with mouthing off and swearing? She doesn't get the calls SHE thinks she deserves? If she really had a universal vs. a selfish issue, I'd expect she be able to watch other teams & players and talk about the "issues" she has with the game overall, not just her experience.

Coaches, fans and players across the leagues like to complain about officiating from a self-centered point of view. Which is their right. But they don't REALLY want to do anything about it, because then what would they complain about?

i appreciate very much the comments you've made regarding taurasi. they are so pointed and right on. her actions are not good for the wnba, nor, more importantly, for taurasi herself. except for many people on this board, i expect most fans of the women's game are getting tired of her tirades. they know that refs, and their mistakes, have been and always will be part of the game.especially the phoenix fans, who probably wish that she would just shut up and play the game the way they know she can play. she can certainly be "feisty" without being a boorish cry-baby.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
WNBA refs are comically bad, and it's an absolute farce that there seems to be no accountability for their incompetence.

Double bull. Where's your proof? You want comic, look at MLB, the NFL and the NBA. And they are held accountable.

How do you expect a league to gain credibility when it has refs on salary who aren't good enough to officiate my co-ed league?

Right. The credibility of a league that has been in existence since 1997 depends on officiating. And, honestly, your assessment of them reveals your ignorance of the profession and the realities of training -- 'cause you know your co-ed rec league folks couldn't hold the W's refs polyester shirts.

Whether they mean to give DT the short end of the stick or not (and they certainly do give her the short end), it's only human nature to respond that way to someone who treats you like dirt.

Conspiracy theories are fun, but really? That's your story? Refs have it "in" for Taurasi? That is why she draws so many fouls and goes to the line so oftern -- because she gets the "short end of the stick." You want to offer some comparisons to her and, say, Catch or Parker or Prince or Pondexter or McCoughtry?

(Also, it's laughably stupid to compare playing a sport for a living to a regular job. Calling that analogy apples to oranges would be a massive understatement.)

Really? What's stupid about the comparison I made? Which was:
You don't think people in "regular" jobs get away with carp because they think their company needs them more than they need the company?

Ego and misguided self-importance is not limited to those who are being broadcast.

Unless your are suggesting that is ridiculous that anyone should care about sports because it adds nothing of value to the world, unlike "real" jobs? lol.

Reaction Score
Conspiracy theories are fun, but really? That's your story? Refs have it "in" for Taurasi? That is why she draws so many fouls and goes to the line so oftern -- because she gets the "short end of the stick." You want to offer some comparisons to her and, say, Catch or Parker or Prince or Pondexter or McCoughtry?

Really? What's stupid about the comparison I made? Which was:
You don't think people in "regular" jobs get away with carp because they think their company needs them more than they need the company?

Ego and misguided self-importance is not limited to those who are being broadcast.

Unless your are suggesting that is ridiculous that anyone should care about sports because it adds nothing of value to the world, unlike "real" jobs? lol.
First of all, the bulk of my post was in response to the OP - it wasn't directed at you, so I'm not sure why you're getting all defensive. Your constantly attacking tone makes you come off as pretty insufferable sometimes. You're smart enough without going into attack mode.

And you're clearly reading what you want to read here. What conspiracy did I allude to? I simply said that the way Taurasi treats officials has (probably) caused them to subconsciously give her fewer calls. In fact, I went out of my way to point out that is probably has nothing to do with them targeting her. I watched the same thing happen to Paul Pierce in the mid-2000s - when he started complaining incessantly to officials, he stopped getting 50/50 calls. It's human nature more than anything else.

I misread your analogy to people with regular jobs, so I apologize there. I just think it's silly when fans try to compare workplace protocol at a company or organization with that of being a professional athlete (or singer, or actor, etc.). The reality is that the situations aren't analogous.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
One of the problems with Diana is that she complains the same whether she is 100% right - or 100% wrong. Yes, she is right some of the time - maybe more than 1/2 the time for all I know. But I don't care if it is 90% of the time, when you commit an obvious foul (that is then shown on the big screen replay) and get all over the ref for calling it, you are wrecking your credibility.

And - while I do think that Ref's have a short leash with her, especially regarding techs - she goes to the line plenty. When they see fouls committed against her, they get called. Sitting in the 2nd row for 2 games in a row, I can tell you that the physicality is intense.

I liked what one ref did one of the games I was at - he called a foul, Diana started, he just held up his hand, turned his back and walked to the other side of the court - of course, then she started in on a ref that had nothing to do with the call.

And complain about the Ref's as much as you want, but they are mostly well thought of women's ref's and a number of men's college ref's. Ref's make mistakes, they are human. I rarely see the referees as being as bad as some of you are making out.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
First of all, the bulk of my post was in response to the OP - it wasn't directed at you, so I'm not sure why you're getting all defensive. Your constantly attacking tone makes you come off as pretty insufferable sometimes. You're smart enough without going into attack mode.

And you're clearly reading what you want to read here. What conspiracy did I allude to? I simply said that the way Taurasi treats officials has (probably) caused them to subconsciously give her fewer calls. In fact, I went out of my way to point out that is probably has nothing to do with them targeting her. I watched the same thing happen to Paul Pierce in the mid-2000s - when he started complaining incessantly to officials, he stopped getting 50/50 calls. It's human nature more than anything else.

I misread your analogy to people with regular jobs, so I apologize there. I just think it's silly when fans try to compare workplace protocol at a company or organization with that of being a professional athlete (or singer, or actor, etc.). The reality is that the situations aren't analogous.

nothing defensive at all on my part... I'm simply disagreeing with your allegations and assumptions asking for actual examples.

What conspiracy did I allude to?: (and they certainly do give her the short end)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Other players deal with the same referees and the same bad calls without the Taurasi drama. Her behavior detracts from the game. If she thinks the WNBA refs are so bad and if she doesn't need the money, maybe it's time for her to retire.

Reaction Score
First Stef, now DT.

I'm sorry, Uconn Women's fans can have the biggest stick up their ass.

Basketball isn't that serious. Diana's antics are entertaining. That's who she is, that's who always was and who she'll always be. And I doubt she'll change. And thank God for that.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
First Stef, now DT.

I'm sorry, Uconn Women's fans can have the biggest stick up their ass.

Basketball isn't that serious. Diana's antics are entertaining. That's who she is, that's who always was and who she'll always be. And I doubt she'll change. And thank God for that.

Obviously not everyone thinks her antics are "entertaining." Here's a little test to see just how entertaining and fun it is - remove your NFB glasses and substitute some other players name for Taurasi's at the top of the technical fouls list. Substitute Parker, Latta, McCoughtry, Diggens or whatever player rubs you the wrong way. How would you feel about the whining if it was one of them committing all the technical fouls by berating the officials?

One thing I learned when I played organized sports - don't get into a pissing contest with an official. That's the coaches job. Besides, you're never gonna' win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom