Is this UConns Greatest Team Ever | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is this UConns Greatest Team Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Geno even said on the GENO LEGACY: SUE BIRD show last week he considered the 2000-2001 team that lost Svet and Shea to injury was the greatest team!
Yes. And I've always considered them the best ever. What they did to Georgia in that opening game was probably the greatest display I've ever seen. (and as Geno added in the Legacy show, probably the worst thing that could have happened to the team).

And Sue agreed with him!
I think she was more enamored with her Senior team. She did say they could have played blindfolded.

They had 7 AA's! Without those 2 injuries, UCONN doesn't lose to ND, beats Purdue, and has 5 NC's in a row!
Actually I believe they did lose to ND in the season prior to the injuries.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Agree - mid season is not the time for greatest or even comparisons - lets see the season play out. With that said ...
No question that 2000-2001 team with 5 Olympians as opposed to ONLY four in 2001-2 was probably the best collection of talent ever. The injuries, the FF meltdown, and probably the youth disqualify it from best ever team.
On the current team - what I have seen from Stewart in USA basketball and in college is a player that only seems to get really motivated when the games are really important. I think this is something that Geno and the coaches are working on and I see more intensity on a game by game basis this year and from start to finish of each game. Kaleena is having a difficult year with the injury but seems to be rounding back into form. Stef started really strong and then sort of plateaued and I am not sure why - she has made more bad passes over the last month than I can remember - but the effort is always there. Moriah is constant energy and very focused and has been all year, and Bria over the last month is pouring it on. I would say the last three do have that killer instinct - Stef with a smile, Moriah with a grin, but it is still there.
And I think part of the reason we don't recognize it in this team is actually on Geno and his coaching. Until the last few games he really put the brakes on the offense and defense in the second half for most of the season - called off pressure and trapping and slowed down the offense. He didn't do that against Temple, Cinci, and SMU. In those three games Uconn's break half by half was 49/44, 41/45, 54/48 and the opponents was 32/24, 11/18, 19/22. Up until those three games Uconn was scoring 8.3 points less in the second half - in those three only 2.3 fewer and less dramatically they were giving up 1.6 points more vs. just 0.6. But this is also probably the standard flow of a season with Geno ramping up the intensity and doing less experimenting and teaching as March approaches.
On the personality thing - DT was pretty unique - as were Diggins and a few other college players. I would say that Stef is also pretty unique but more off the court than on. But beyond those few, I'm not sure what people expect. And to some degree the NCAA has rules now that discourage being overly demonstrative on the court - taunting and popping the Jersey are both now technicals and I suspect some of DTs jawing on the court would now get a T.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As an added thought and recognizing as Dobbs says even stats can be problematic because of the changing landscape of the game -
This team is on pace to blow away the NCAA record for Blocks, set a new record for total assists, and probably blow away the NCAA record for A/TO though they haven't been keeping it for very long. It will certainly blow away the 2001-2 teams A/TO ratio. And they will match the forced turnovers and steals, while surpassing the points per game allowed and field goal percentage allowed marks that 2001-2 team had. And the margin of victory will likely be better.
You can't say those stats make this team better but you can at least say it should be in the same discussion with the other 'best teams'. And no one is talking about the only team to win by double digits in every game for a year and that was part of a 90 game winning streak!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Actually I believe they did lose to ND in the season prior to the injuries.
True dat. 16 point loss at ND before the injuries. The 2000-01 team also lost another game at UTenn before losing Sveta and Shea, though one can say that the refs lost their brains while giving 40 FTAs to the Vols and 15 to the Huskies. But that type of home-cooking at TBA was not uncommon.

Reaction Score
True dat. 16 point loss at ND before the injuries. The 2000-01 team also lost another game at UTenn before losing Sveta and Shea, though one can say that the refs lost their brains while giving 40 FTAs to the Vols and 15 to the Huskies. But that type of home-cooking at TBA was not uncommon.

I believe Sveta got hurt in the Tenn game.

Reaction Score
It's TASS + D for me too.

This current team's front court is more talented than TASS + D, but they are also a little soft, and I think Swin, Tamika, and Ashja would eat them up. Maybe if Stewart and KML were playing as the Seniors that they will be, I'd feel differently, but right now..they are more finesse players.

And as much as I love Mo and Bria..they aren't Sue and Diana. (The best women's backcourt ever. And quite frankly, I doubt there will ever be a different answer. Mo and Bria might be the second best Uconn backcourt ever...but they still aren't the best.)

Not only that, but I don't ever bet against a team with Diana or Sue on it..and TASS + D had both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom