OT: - Is This The Beginning Of The End For The NCAA? | The Boneyard

OT: Is This The Beginning Of The End For The NCAA?

Reaction Score
The NCAA's top decision-makers will meet Tuesday in Atlanta for their first formal discussion about modifying rules that currently prohibit college athletes from making money by selling the rights to their names, images or likenesses.

The association's long-held policy regarding that aspect of amateurism is under increasing pressure from state and federal legislators who believe college athletes deserve an opportunity to collect money from endorsements. The NCAA board of governors is expecting to hear recommendations on how to move forward from Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith and Big East commissioner Val Ackerman, who are spearheading a committee that has spent the past five months evaluating options for a more modern path forward.

Amateurism has been a central tenet of the NCAA's mission for more than a century.

The chief concern among NCAA stakeholders with each new erosion of amateurism rules is that the next step will be the one that changes the court's opinion. If college athletes are viewed as professionals in the eyes of the law, the NCAA and its members would be subject to a hornet's nest of antitrust and labor issues that could collapse their current business model.
______________________​

It's going to be interesting to see how all of this will effect the NCAA's mysterious eligibility decisions. I'm wondering what percent of denials will quickly lead to a lawsuit if and when money is on the line (or even potentially on the line) for athletes (and their families).

LINK to full article

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We really, really need politicians in college athletics. They haven't screwed up enough stuff already.
I don't understand how turning college athletes into professionals helps anyone but schools with a lot of money or wealthy alumni. We all complain about the NCAA, and not without ample reason, but what's the alternative?

Reaction Score
We really, really need politicians in college athletics. They haven't screwed up enough stuff already.
I don't understand how turning college athletes into professionals helps anyone but schools with a lot of money or wealthy alumni. We all complain about the NCAA, and not without ample reason, but what's the alternative?

**Facepalm** how do people actually have these thoughts rattling around in their head**

How about before you worry about competitive balance(which already doesn't exist), you worry about what is Justice for the players at the expense of billion-dollar institutions?

What's the alternative???!?!?

Literally every other sports league in the world can act as a frame of reference here. Literally the structure of **every other sports league on the planet**

What the actual folk people

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The NCAA's top decision-makers will meet Tuesday in Atlanta for their first formal discussion about modifying rules that currently prohibit college athletes from making money by selling the rights to their names, images or likenesses.

The association's long-held policy regarding that aspect of amateurism is under increasing pressure from state and federal legislators who believe college athletes deserve an opportunity to collect money from endorsements. The NCAA board of governors is expecting to hear recommendations on how to move forward from Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith and Big East commissioner Val Ackerman, who are spearheading a committee that has spent the past five months evaluating options for a more modern path forward.

Amateurism has been a central tenet of the NCAA's mission for more than a century.

The chief concern among NCAA stakeholders with each new erosion of amateurism rules is that the next step will be the one that changes the court's opinion. If college athletes are viewed as professionals in the eyes of the law, the NCAA and its members would be subject to a hornet's nest of antitrust and labor issues that could collapse their current business model.
______________________​

It's going to be interesting to see how all of this will effect the NCAA's mysterious eligibility decisions. I'm wondering what percent of denials will quickly lead to a lawsuit if and when money is on the line (or even potentially on the line) for athletes (and their families).

LINK to full article
Thank for posting this. It is a very complicated often misunderstood mess. The first great misunderstanding is that the California legislation would require the schools to share revenue or compensate the athletes. What the legislation does it removes the current restriction on the student athlete's ability to earn money from "names, images or likenesses". Simple example: If I decided that Christyn Williams signature or picture was worth $10, I (in two years) be able to pay her $10 for that same picture and autograph that must be free today. Since there is no grandfather provision to the legislation, former student athletes including those whose eligibility decisions are denied, would have no basis for a lawsuit.

The NCAA will be lucky to hold the compensation line at the current California proposed legislation because other states are not going to let their athletes be disadvantaged. Federal legislation is on the way to make this the national norm and the NCAA will have no choice but to cave. US congress will threaten to remove the NCAA's charity status. The threat of a tax liability on the billion $ property that is the NCAA tournament virtually guarantees that the NCAA will cave.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
….and, if in the process we can help protect our institutions' capacity to make billions off athlete amateurism, than we have truly met a primary goal. (sarcasm intended)
Don't most institutions lose money on athletics?

Reaction Score
complicated question you can draw your own conclusions:
Where Does the Money Go?.
Didn't I say you knew more about the NCAA , now Calif legislation. Thanks. I'm not sure I like this because the full potential starts with a crack in the door. The imagination of the end result conjures up all kinds of undesirable visions. Also I dislike state or the Feds getting into sports----in Future States USA--I can see the Supreme court calling fouls or strikes. I guess new Freedom doesn't mean free from government long reach.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Make no mistake. This will make the rich schools richer by creating an incentive for top recruits to attend those schools with the greatest national exposure. That means top P5 schools in football and basketball will have a distinct advantage over 2nd tier P5 schools and every other conference.

There is potentially a silver lining for UConn WBB. The Huskies are in a unique situation. They may receive more national exposure than any other WBB program, in a state with no professional teams, at a school where the men’s football & basketball programs are not as successful and in a second tier conference. Add in the exceptional young ladies that UConn recruits and there could be some decent promotional opportunities. The one potential downside is that individual UConn players doing promotional work for compensation does seem to be a bit of line with UConn’s team philosophy.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Make no mistake. This will make the rich schools richer by creating an incentive for top recruits to attend those schools with the greatest national exposure. That means top P5 schools in football and basketball will have a distinct advantage over 2nd tier P5 schools and every other conference.

There is potentially a silver lining for UConn WBB. The Huskies are in a unique situation. They may receive more national exposure than any other WBB program, in a state with no professional teams, at a school where the men’s football & basketball programs are not as successful and in a second tier conference. Add in the exceptional young ladies that UConn recruits and there could be some decent promotional opportunities. The one potential downside is that individual UConn players doing promotional work for compensation does seem to be a bit of line with UConn’s team philosophy.
How is this any different than the current system?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How is this any different than the current system?
The exposure afforded to top athletes at top programs does not necessarily equate to money in their pocket. I know there have been some well documented abuses by boosters, shoe companies, etc. But by and large athletes have been limited to tuition, room and board for their services.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The exposure afforded to top athletes at top programs does not necessarily equate to money in their pocket. I know there have been some well documented abuses by boosters, shoe companies, etc. But by and large athletes have been limited to tuition, room and board for their services.
I would have to vehemently disagree with that. In football and basketball recruits attend those top colleges today specifically because it is those high exposure schools that maximizes their chances of going to NFL and NBA=money in their pockets. In a sense the same can be said for WCBB, if you think you have WNBA potential your not signing with Holy Cross- great school though it maybe.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would have to vehemently disagree with that. In football and basketball recruits attend those top colleges today specifically because it is those high exposure schools that maximizes their chances of going to NFL and NBA=money in their pockets. In a sense the same can be said for WCBB, if you think you have WNBA potential your not signing with Holy Cross- great school though it maybe.
I’m not disputing that the top schools have an inherent advantage, but this would be one more advantage for top programs. At least today, there’s a chance for a secondary program to woo a top recruit with the pitch of immediate PT and the opportunity to build a winning tradition, etc.

Beyond that, the devil is in the details. There have been a number of indictments over 6 figure payments to player’s families from shoe companies for a player attending a specific university. The potential here is that such payments to the players themselves could be perfectly legal. So if I’m a top basketball player, and I know that if I attend Louisville that earns me a $200,000 check from Adidas, because Adidas has decided that Louisville is their flagship university for MBB, how do other schools compete for that recruit?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I’m not disputing that the top schools have an inherent advantage, but this would be one more advantage for top programs. At least today, there’s a chance for a secondary program to woo a top recruit with the pitch of immediate PT and the opportunity to build a winning tradition, etc.

Beyond that, the devil is in the details. There have been a number of indictments over 6 figure payments to player’s families from shoe companies for a player attending a specific university. The potential here is that such payments to the players themselves could be perfectly legal. So if I’m a top basketball player, and I know that if I attend Louisville that earns me a $200,000 check from Adidas, because Adidas has decided that Louisville is their flagship university for MBB, how do other schools compete for that recruit?
That Adidas contract is with the University of Louisville athletic department. Because Louisville is a public university, any payment by Adidas directly to players would still be illegal as it constitutes a bribe. Again, the scope of the new legislation is limited to names, images or likenesses it DOES NOT require the schools to compensate the student athlete.
Part of the student athletes scholarship agreement says that will only wear school supplied equipment to organized team activities. You can't show up to a UCONN team activity sporting Adidas gear without violating your scholarship agreement.

Reaction Score
Don't most institutions lose money on athletics?

The institutions may well lose money but without athletics their enrollment would decline. Those Sat football games are the identity of big colleges. Big colleges are businesses, and drawing in students is their business.

And someone is making money. A school with a $50 million football budget is writing checks to lots of people who are supplying all the things that teams need. Who is making money selling autographed photos of the Heisman Trophy winner at $100.00 a pop? It's the same people sliding envelopes of cash to prospective recruits.

Amateurism and capitalism don't mix well.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That Adidas contract is with the University of Louisville athletic department. Because Louisville is a public university, any payment by Adidas directly to players would still be illegal as it constitutes a bribe. Again, the scope of the new legislation is limited to names, images or likenesses it DOES NOT require the schools to compensate the student athlete.
Part of the student athletes scholarship agreement says that will only wear school supplied equipment to organized team activities. You can't show up to a UCONN team activity sporting Adidas gear without violating your scholarship agreement.
This is a gray area. Why wouldn’t Adidas also be able to compensate players directly for the use of their name or likeness in a commercial? Let’s assume that no official monetary offer is made until after the player signs their LOI, but it is common knowledge that if you’re a top 10 recruit and you sign with school X, Adidas will pay you Y. How is that a bribe?

Scenario 2: Booster XYZ owns a car dealership near campus. He pays school X players to use their name and likeness to promote his dealership. Today that’s a violation of NCAA rules. Under the new CA law it appears to be perfectly legal.

Reaction Score
Amateurism and capitalism don't mix well.

Excellent point!

Show me any large governmental or institutional (public) program that correctly benefits and protects the intended end-user while not disenfranchising a separate group of people and I'll show you dancing monkeys on our green moon:D

There is nothing capitalistic or sustainable about the stripping of individual freedoms. Consequently, the NCAA was doomed to eventually fail at keeping individual freedoms stripped from their rightful owners.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is a gray area. Why wouldn’t Adidas also be able to compensate players directly for the use of their name or likeness in a commercial? Let’s assume that no official monetary offer is made until after the player signs their LOI, but it is common knowledge that if you’re a top 10 recruit and you sign with school X, Adidas will pay you Y. How is that a bribe?

Scenario 2: Booster XYZ owns a car dealership near campus. He pays school X players to use their name and likeness to promote his dealership. Today that’s a violation of NCAA rules. Under the new CA law it appears to be perfectly legal.
It is not a gray area it is rather black, white & illegal. You are not the only one who have these draconian things in their mind but please read the proposed legislation and I can assure these scenarios are well outside the scope of it.

Scenario 1 amounts to pay for play/attend which is & will continue to be illegal under the new proposed rules. If you pay a player to go to a specific university for the purpose of participating in athletic competition that is illegal and will void their eligibility. The sources of the money does not matter it could be the shoe companies, or cousin Ray Ray and em. It does not matter when the money changes hands. You can pay the student athlete before, during school or put in a trust fund until after they graduate, it will still be illegal.

Under the new rules scenario 2 might be more plausible minus the part about the booster. Here are the most important distinctions. Under the current rules NCAA athletes are not permitted to have part time jobs when in season. Under the new rules all income would be reported & theoretically taxable.

Reaction Score

Exactly!!!

Big time university boosters and corporate marketers will make very short work of taking advantage of the profit-on-likeness rule as well as take down any and all remaining barriers in the way of protecting their turfs, status & profits (which is more than just money!).

I agree Olddude, the ruling definitely will help the "haves", and not in a small way.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It is not a gray area it is rather black, white & illegal. You are not the only one who have these draconian things in their mind but please read the proposed legislation and I can assure these scenarios are well outside the scope of it.

Scenario 1 amounts to pay for play/attend which is & will continue to be illegal under the new proposed rules. If you pay a player to go to a specific university for the purpose of participating in athletic competition that is illegal and will void their eligibility. The sources of the money does not matter it could be the shoe companies, or cousin Ray Ray and em. It does not matter when the money changes hands. You can pay the student athlete before, during school or put in a trust fund until after they graduate, it will still be illegal.

Under the new rules scenario 2 might be more plausible minus the part about the booster. Here are the most important distinctions. Under the current rules NCAA athletes are not permitted to have part time jobs when in season. Under the new rules all income would be reported & theoretically taxable.
So I’m confused. Under what circumstances exactly can college athletes earn monetary compensation for their name, image or likeness if they are not to be paid by a commercial company or booster with an interest in the university itself?

Reaction Score
How about Nike paying player X to use their likeness to sell t-shirts or basketball shoes?

Respectfully, the ruling opens Pandora's box.

Reaction Score
How about before you worry about competitive balance(which already doesn't exist), you worry about what is Justice for the players at the expense of billion-dollar institutions?

The majority of these "billion-dollar institutions" lose huge amounts of money on their overall athletics program, while many players gain scholarships worth over $50K per year. For that matter, many colleges already are in bad financial shape, and it is getting worse.

Btw, a very high percentage of the endorsement value of college athletes comes from the brand value of the college for which they play. Any unknown basketball player who suits up for Kentucky, for example, will earn a massive amount of money due to their network of fans. If that same unknown player suited up for DePaul, he would make a small fraction of what he would make for Kentucky. Etc.

Reaction Score
**Facepalm** how do people actually have these thoughts rattling around in their head**
Easy. Because also rattling around in my otherwise nearly empty head are memories of things like point shaving, no show jobs, cars, and under the table cash to athletes and their families.
As BroadwayVa intimated, this current proposal is a "crack in the door."
Frame of reference, every other sports league in the world? Most of them are professional, and that's what I'm afraid will happen here.

Reaction Score
So are these pro athletes going to have to pay for their education, room, board, training, travel, uniform and so many other expenses that I haven't mentioned?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom