Is this the beginning of something new? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is this the beginning of something new?

Reaction Score
If there’s one thing we shouldn’t question, it’s Danny Hurley’s ability to recruit. He’s a master.
Let’s be aggressive on the 5 stars. Coming off a national championship. Let’s use it.

Reaction Score
Hurley's can sell an attractive style of offense. It not just all isolations. It's fast paced, based on cutting, screening and ball movement. Everyone gets touches. He can also promise that players will learn individual defense. Hurley makes you better. Individual player development isn't just promised, it happens. Players leave UConn more skilled than when they came.

Calhoun was a genius at getting his team to peak in March. Hurley did it this year. If DH has cracked the code. UConn will reload every summer. He will stack up talent like cord wood.
Crack the code. That is the phrase. I posted a thread a few days ago about Hurley being a master in today's environment. This is what I mean. Tiger had it, Peyton had it, Mariano Rivera, bill Walsh: you don't have to have 12 rings to see this phenomenon in play. The beating that this team put on everybody, and the knowing smile that Hurley had going into each game plays this theory out.
Side note (I saw this phenomenon a few times with Manny Ramirez. Watching an at bat against against Jeff Samardzija, in slow motion you see Manny smile when the pitchers arm was at his release point. Manny knew what was coming and he knew he was gonna crush it. He sees the game on a larger level)

Reaction Score
Obviously most of these guys haven't played out their UConn careers yet, but according to 247 Stephon Castle is UConn's 2nd highest rated recruit ever. Solo Ball is #11. Andre #14, Hawkins #16, Clingan #17, Samson #18, Rahsool #19 (lol)
How far back does that go? Because if you're going back to the 1990s then that isn't even close to being true. Must start about 2010 or so.

Reaction Score
“We’ve won a national championship, we’ve put guys in the NBA. We want to recruit the top players,” Hurley said. “We’ll always have the balance on the roster. We want to recruit the best players in the northeast, and recruit the best players nationally to keep our program at a championship level. But also, it’s got to be a culture fit. The culture fit is big. We want to develop players. They’ve got to have the right mentality about how we go about things.”

Alternate access:

UConn men's basketball team's latest 'Victory Tour' stop is State Capitol: 'This is an important one'

Wait? The program needs the support of the political arm of the state? And has to act accordingly?

Not that I think this will cause ‘82 and others to let go of their dream that the University will treat the State as an adversary and negotiate with it accordingly, but it should cause that.

Reaction Score
How far back does that go? Because if you're going back to the 1990s then that isn't even close to being true. Must start about 2010 or so.
Looks like since 2000, so you are correct it drops off the 90s

Reaction Score
Wait? The program needs the support of the political arm of the state? And has to act accordingly?

Not that I think this will cause ‘82 and others to let go of their dream that the University will treat the State as an adversary and negotiate with it accordingly, but it should cause that.
The State pays for almost every capital improvement UCONN makes. The State owns UCONN.

Reaction Score
I am with you. If you like being hated, just read the Devil Den (Duke's forum), Friar Talk, or Villanova SB Nation. Your heart will be so content reading those forums.
Don’t forget Syracuse’s chat board :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

LOL, no tag? Weak sauce Biz.

So ignoring the strawman argument…

The notion the University of Connecticut which is a part of the state of Connecticut, is somehow required to park the losses of the quasipublic entity that manages the XL Center in it in order to get state is, well to say it plainly, dumb.

The XL Center issue is largely one of accounting, because whether or not the a portion of the perennial annual losses of the CDRA are hidden in the athletic department’s financials, rather than in the CDRAs, the state ends up footing the bill.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don’t forget Syracuse’s chat board :)
Our Canadian friends are too broken to muster much hate speech anymore. Mostly they just wax poetic about their hope to catch up to Ithaca College.

Reaction Score
Our Canadian friends are too broken to muster much hate speech anymore. Mostly they just wax poetic about their hope to catch up to Ithaca College.
After 2 losses to Colgate no less

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
What do yardigans think of Hurley’s quote?
I’d like to see Hurley can not only snatch away top recruits from duke and Kentucky and send them to NBA, but more importantly keep hanging up banners at the capital world of college basketball.

Nothing new IMHO. Hurley doing Hurley. I'll take him at his word. He's on a mission.

If UConn was a trade, I'm long, whether or not we start two frosh or all-stars return.

Reaction Score
“We’ve won a national championship, we’ve put guys in the NBA. We want to recruit the top players,” Hurley said. “We’ll always have the balance on the roster. We want to recruit the best players in the northeast, and recruit the best players nationally to keep our program at a championship level. But also, it’s got to be a culture fit. The culture fit is big. We want to develop players. They’ve got to have the right mentality about how we go about things.”

Alternate access:

UConn men's basketball team's latest 'Victory Tour' stop is State Capitol: 'This is an important one'

This quote sums up Dan Hurley:
"The culture fit is big. We want to develop players. They’ve got to have the right mentality about how we go about things.”

The quote seems to plainly say we're not focused on one and dones, nor in prima donnas who think they're so good they're ready for the league and we should be honored to have them.

The quote shows he is a coach who enjoys seeing how much he can improve a kid's skills, but for that to happen they have to want to work and play within a team concept.

Yes!!!

Reaction Score
I think he's right to take this approach. This team does not have a glaring gap of talent next year. They need a reliable knockdown shooter, that's basically it. If one or both of Andre/Tristen don't return they need some extra ballhandling.

Both of these things can be found in the portal late spring among players who aren't going to command starting minutes. The staff's formula of using the portal to supplement your core, instead of using it to build your core, is absolutely the right way to go.
Totally agree - recruit 4 and 5 star high schoolets that fit your culture and system and then plug a hole or two each year through the portal. Makes way more sense than trying to fill out a roster of mercenaries and then trying to gel them to make a run in March.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom