Is this still a no-no:where does the ship come from? | The Boneyard

Is this still a no-no:where does the ship come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
the TOS2 ,we could not talk about this, can we talk about it here?

does olander parents work on campus

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Reports have indicated Drummond will pay his own way as a walk on

Reaction Score
Transfer talk and the likes is a no no everywhere, I don't know if you've ever perused the football board, but parents and possibly the athletes check the boards from time to time. Nothing good comes from speculating on transfers because it's all just rumor. Think out whatever scenarios you want in your head but the overwhelming odds are no one else on here knows any more than any kind of speculation you could fathom yourself.

Reaction Score
does he get his name on the jersey
why do people keep asking this, we just had a scholarship caliber player walk on two years ago in Stanley Robinson, he had his name on his jersey.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Is there an NCAA policy against walk-ons making road trips or is that just a university rule to reduce expenses (I assume so)? Because of injuries, walk-ons could always be called on to play so it is probably not a policy but is the a maximum number of active players allowed on road trips?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Our walk-ons have always gone to the road games with the team. The practice team does not travel.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but he had to stitch it on there himself. :)

As for the no transfer talk policy, that should always be in place no matter where and no matter what. But keep in mind, general talk w/out naming names is okay as long as it's not to bait others from offering up names. Also, once a name is out there in a legit article I believe we were okay with kicking it around on the board. My one caveat to that was it had to come from a legit article and not some blog. We've seen transfer speculation on one or more of the legit news paper .com blogs, which I don't think is right in the first place. Just because some writer speculates about a specific player transferring, shouldn't open the door to speculating about that player here.

There are just a few options to add AD. One is pay his own way. Someone posted that CBS reported that as an option. One of the current 10 giving up their ship. One of the current 10 not coming back on their own accord. One of the current 10 not coming back but not on their own accord.

Many don't realize that ships are on a yearly basis and a program has the rights to not extend it for what seems like just about any reason. Doesn't seem fair since a player can't leave and join another program w/out sitting out, though they can leave and get a full ride somewhere while they sit out. I'm choosing to believe that JC would never force a player out, especially at this late stage. If that happens, I'll lose a great deal of respect for the program.

I imagine that AD and his family spoke with JC before making the announcement knowing UConn had a way to add him to the roster.

Reaction Score
I do believe Slick Rick has two key Louisville players who willingly coughed up their scholarships to expand the roster. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Are we going to play up-tempo this year at times?

Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry to much about this. It will get worked out without somebody having to leave.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_mens_basketball/2011/08/andre-drummond-uconn-mens-bask.html

Making room under the team's current limit of 10 scholarships could be a trickier issue. Because he has been recruited, UConn does not see any way for Drummond to play for the Huskies without counting against that scholarship total, even he if he paid his own way. But it is possible for other players to remain on the team, without counting against the total.
No one will be "run off" the team, school sources say. Room could, and likely will be made, by asking a current scholarship player part with his scholarship and possibly apply for financial aid instead.

Reaction Score
Thanks, Rico. I believe that post confirms the rule that has been thrown around that if an athlete is deemed "recruited" (which basically means the coaching staff had more than one contact with the player) then for one year he cannot be on the roster without counting against the scholarship limit. My guess would be this rule exists because it would be too easy for athletic departments to collude with financial aid offices to get a kid to a school.

It will be interesting to see how the NCAA handles this one. By all accounts Drummond has nothing that would raise any red flags for the NCAA -- while filing with the clearinghouse this late isn't standard practice, its not like the average D1 athlete files his clearinghouse papers a year in advance.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Drummond's change-of-mind didn't catch anyone at UConn by surprise, by the way; they had been anticipating it and working through potential issues for weeks.

Strange statement. It implies they knew about his coming to UConn before he announced going to W&M. If so it sounds like AD was delaying so the paper work would be in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom