Is This Our Team Pretty Much? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is This Our Team Pretty Much?

Reaction Score
Assist to turnover ratio is not a Husky strong suit....ranked #212.

While the assist to TO stat isn't the end-all, be-all....and depends on style of play, etc....that stat could be a lot better.

And? Not sure the point you're trying to make here. Yes, he turned the ball over too much--he was rusty after not playing for two years.

Alterique is, and always will be a pure point guard and a brilliant ballhandler.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
We need a backup center. Period.

Carlton is good but he can’t be trusted with foul trouble, and Akok/Whaley and all those guys would be too small/out of position.

Reaction Score
We need a backup center. Period.

Carlton is good but he can’t be trusted with foul trouble, and Akok/Whaley and all those guys would be too small/out of position.
Yeah we need someone in the mold of Cobb with better defensive skills. I guess I should have said any defensive skills. LOL!

Reaction Score
If you are a "lights out" shooter in HS you don't shoot like BA did this year

Um, sure. For some guys it just doesn’t translate to college. But he came in with a reputation as a good jump shooter.

If the game is still moving too fast for him next year, and his shots still look rushed, then we know we have a problem.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
He is alright in blocking shots on defense but I wouldn’t call him even good there. His lack of girth proved it was hard to keep him on the fooor long without fouling out fast. Big guys would just bully him into fouls. He needs to gain some weight for next year if he is going to be our backup center.

He's not great but I think he'll be fine to play here or there backing up Carlton. If Josh continues to progress the way we expect he's probably not coming off of the floor much, and I would expect Whaley to get better too (at least a little bigger if nothing else).

Not to mention at this point in the game we're not bringing someone in at this point that's going to be eligible for next season and be much of an improvement on Whaley. There's one JuCo we've been linked to and his highlight tape reminds me of a slightly better David Onoruah.

Reaction Score
When this dead period ends I suspect we’ll at least use our final scholarship on a transfer although a late signee is possible as well. As far as kids transferung out I don’t know what to think we have 2 or 3 guys who probably shouldn’t be on the team but kids typically announce their intentions to transfer by now. I wouldn’t count on any transfers.
This is the most likely the way it will go baring a shocking Prescious commitment.

Reaction Score
It's already been explained to you that absent a behaviour / attitude / effort issue no one will be forced out. It has always been this way. At almost all programs. Some kids want to stay. Some kids think they will improve. Some kids bet on themselves. Some kids want a degree from UConn. Some kids don't want to pack up and go to BFE State. Just give it a rest.
You're completely wrong. Calhoun and almost every other coach pushes kids out who can't contribute. They don't kick them to the streets, they use their contacts to find the kids a nice landing spot that fits their skill level. This seems to be costing us Ntambwe, if they don't figure this out it's a bad job by the staff.

Reaction Score
People are really upset that Whaley isn't getting kicked off the team? Really? When we literally don't have a backup center on the roster? He's 5 fouls that plays hard with solid defense. I don't know exactly who everyone thinks we could bring in at this stage to play valuable minutes backing up Carlton at the 5; the one big guy I've seen us linked to looks like just a body.

I don't think Pork Chop is making any all-conference teams, but rooting for him to get thrown off the team is a little much for me, especially with no good options out there to replace him.

No one is rooting for anyone to get kicked off the team, but JC had no problem being frank with guys who just weren't good enough for this level and would suggest an alternative where they could get playing time, which is usually a better outcome for all parties.

At this point, it's about upgrading the talent any way you can. The pickins may be slim for 2019, but 2020? Open scholarships are valuable.

Reaction Score
You're completely wrong. Calhoun and almost every other coach pushes kids out who can't contribute. They don't kick them to the streets, they use their contacts to find the kids a nice landing spot that fits their skill level. This seems to be costing us Ntambwe, if they don't figure this out it's a bad job by the staff.

Calhoun never pulled a scholarship if a kid wouldn't leave on his own. How else do you explain Jonathan Mandledove?

Reaction Score
A team can be definitely be turned around in a year! Right coaching, right players for the system, right plays, defense and offense clicking. It happens often.
There is a difference between changing direction and a real turnaround. I think we will see a much improved team next season. Possibly competing for a bid. But it will take a while to get to the top 10 again with a high tournament seed. That will be the full turnaround.

Reaction Score
There is a difference between changing direction and a real turnaround. I think we will see a much improved team next season. Possibly competing for a bid. But it will take a while to get to the top 10 again with a high tournament seed. That will be the full turnaround.
I'm amazed that people think the team that went 1-7 without Jalen is suddenly in one offseason going to compete for a bid. As currently constructed, our team is lucky to finish middle of the pack in the AAC next year.

We have 1 scholarship available. I thought we'd have 3 but it's sounding like it may just be 1, possibly 2. If we're going to have any chance at sniffing the NCAA tournament that scholarship has to be an impact player.

Reaction Score
I'm amazed that people think the team that went 1-7 without Jalen is suddenly in one offseason going to compete for a bid. As currently constructed, our team is lucky to finish middle of the pack in the AAC next year.

We have 1 scholarship available. I thought we'd have 3 but it's sounding like it may just be 1, possibly 2. If we're going to have any chance at sniffing the NCAA tournament that scholarship has to be an impact player.
I get where you're coming from, but this is also a team that's returning 4 starters and bringing in 3 really talented freshmen. It's not crazy to think this team takes a big jump in year 2, especially when you look at Hurley's track record

Reaction Score
I get where you're coming from, but this is also a team that's returning 4 starters and bringing in 3 really talented freshmen. It's not crazy to think this team takes a big jump in year 2, especially when you look at Hurley's track record
I hope I'm wrong. Trust me

Reaction Score

It will depend on how good the three existing recruits are. I don't think this is even a bubble team, but an NIT bid is a reasonable goal if Gaffney and Akok have any game at all.

Reaction Score
I agree that people are underestimating the offensive loss Adams will be, but the team should still be much better on defense next year.

Jalen was the worst defensive guard we had, we were playing a PG at the 3 spot 80% of the time, Polley and Wilson we’re defending the 4 the whole game, and Cobb was one of the worst defenders we’ve ever had.

This year our guards should defend better, we can play Sid and Bouknight at the 3 to have average to better length there, and Akok will be a huge defensive upgrade at the starting 4 spot. So there should be a much better defensive product from this group.

Reaction Score
I'd say there's also a difference between unexpectedly losing your best player mid-season and losing your best player to graduation. Think it's hard to look at the stretch of games that this year's team played without Jalen and extrapolate that to 2019-2020.

And, while UConn was 1-7 in games that Jalen missed, UConn went 3-5 in games that Alterique Gilbert missed. Take away games against USF and East Carolina, and that's 0-7 without Jalen and 0-5 without Alterique Gilbert.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I agree that people are underestimating the offensive loss Adams will be, but the team should still be much better on defense next year.

Jalen was the worst defensive guard we had, we were playing a PG at the 3 spot 80% of the time, Polley and Wilson we’re defending the 4 the whole game, and Cobb was one of the worst defenders we’ve ever had.

This year our guards should defend better, we can play Sid and Bouknight at the 3 to have average to better length there, and Akok will be a huge defensive upgrade at the starting 4 spot. So there should be a much better defensive product from this group.

People always underestimate it. They did the same post Shabazz, post Kemba, etc.

What compounds things is that we weren't even good on offense last year. Yet we are losing our best offensive player by a mile. Pretty much the only guy that could consistently manufacture his own shot.

I'm hoping, as you allude to, we'll be able to generate a lot more offense from defense. If we can do that, if players all develop, if shots improve, if new guys can contribute, if Gilbert can stay healthy.... There's a lot of 'ifs' going into the season again.

The scariest part about next year for me is that, we are thinner than we were this year! Both at the PG and down low. That's crazy

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd say there's also a difference between unexpectedly losing your best player mid-season and losing your best player to graduation. Think it's hard to look at the stretch of games that this year's team played without Jalen and extrapolate that to 2019-2020.

And, while UConn was 1-7 in games that Jalen missed, UConn went 3-5 in games that Alterique Gilbert missed. Take away games against USF and East Carolina, and that's 0-7 without Jalen and 0-5 without Alterique Gilbert.
I expect us to improve and handle the loss of Jalen better than we did mid-season last year as you alluded to. I'm just saying as currently constructed I think we're looking at 18-20 wins which is a long way off of a NCAA bid that many are hoping for, some even predicting.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
It’s too bad his jumper is busted because if he had one he’d be a good backup 4.
If he’s going to be our backup center next year I hope sal puts 10-15 pounds on him. I can’t believe he was billed as a small forward coming out of high school.

Reaction Score
Wondering if the staff is quietly confident about PA since we haven’t heard much on the grad transfer/juco/decommit front since the Ntwambe visit.

Although it was just a dead period for a bit, so who knows. Hopefully we hear something this week regarding our final scholarship and what the staff is thinking.

Reaction Score
Question. Carlton gets 2 fouls 7 minutes in. Our next move is what? Please don’t tell me Diarra. Or Sid. Or a Cobb alike. This is no knock on what’s coming so far next year but we are woefully undersized and strengthed to start next season and losing Jalen our record could be worse. I’m getting a drink.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Question. Carlton gets 2 fouls 7 minutes in. Our next move is what? Please don’t tell me Diarra. Or Sid. Or a Cobb alike. This is no knock on what’s coming so far next year but we are woefully undersized and strengthed to start next season and losing Jalen our record could be worse. I’m getting a drink.
Well we have one open scholarship you would have to think that will be used on a grad transfer, most likely a big. But I share your frustration I don’t like how the team is comprised as of right now. I don’t like AG being our only true primary ball handler either or the teams lack of strength/toughness. On the bright side I think we can shoot the ball and when you can shoot you always have a chance.

Reaction Score
Well we have one open scholarship you would have to think that will be used on a grad transfer, most likely a big. But I share your frustration I don’t like how the team is comprised as of right now. I don’t like AG being our only true primary ball handler either or the teams lack of strength/toughness. On the bright side I think we can shoot the ball and when you can shoot you always have a chance.
Patience men, we all know that Hurley and staff are doing the best that they can. There are at least one, maybe two scholarships available, signing period is right around the corner, give it a minute, see how it shakes out. A power 4/5 plus one more player maybe. Kind of intriguing really.

Reaction Score
If Whaley does stay he better come in like 25 pounds heavier and much stronger or else I will be very grumpy

Reaction Score
Calhoun never pulled a scholarship if a kid wouldn't leave on his own. How else do you explain Jonathan Mandledove?

And Antric Klieber. And Donnell Beverley.

People are conflating encouraging folks to leave with forcing them to leave, and it's intellectually dishonest. There are many coaches out there who, absent disciplinary issues, don't force players to leave. And if they do, word gets out and it makes it harder to recruit. But forcing someone out is entirely different than encouraging them out by letting them know they are simply not going to get playing time and if they ever want to earn money in the minor leagues or overseas they need to get their butt to a lower level where they can play. But leaving the final decision to the player

There is no reason to think Hurley isn't taking the latter approach with obvious candidates. But while it is not shockingly unusual to flat out not renew a scholarship for someone whose nose is clean but talent level is too low, that is not something that every coach does. And it's not something most coaches can do without it being turned into a recruiting weapon against you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom