Is This Our Team Pretty Much? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is This Our Team Pretty Much?

Reaction Score
I don’t expect a complete turn around next year. What I was hoping for was a trend in the right direction because as good as those freshman are they are just that. I think we need another big man impact player at minimum for that to happen otherwise we are mid to bottom AAC. A player who is better than what we have now. Besides our starting center Carlton who I am very happy with, that player is not on our roster and if Hurley keeps recruiting well we could make the tourney in 21’.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
One of my mantras is, “When in doubt, do the right thing.” I’m fine with the staff giving the kids the option, and telling them that if they stay they expect 100% commitment in every area - effort on the court, in the video room, in the weight room, and in the classroom. If the 12th guy on the roster does that, it helps the team even if he only plays in garbage time. Patience is a virtue. So is doing the right thing.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Could say the same thing about B Adams. Why is no one up in arms about him?

1. He's Hurley's guy. Can't be running your first recruit out of town after year one. That's a bad look.
  2. He's a culture guy. May sound dumb, but that's one of their biggest problems. Bad habits, heads not in the right place, etc. BA's reportedly the hardest working dude out there. Sad as it is, you need guys like Brendan to push guys like Sid.
  3. Really, who knows how a freshman is going to develop? He's got great size for a guard. He might fill a role as a Jr or Sr.
What's killing us is that docked scholarship. We need it more than any year since JC retired.

Reaction Score
Whaley and Adams can play at this level.

Whaley hasn’t been able to play the role he needs to on a UConn team. He’s an energy guy that comes in and tries to make things happen. If it works, he stays in, if it doesn’t, he comes out and you try again another time.

B Adams is a good player that needed to find his jumper before we could see the potential. However, he can shoot the ball. He’s been lacking confidence, but he had a couple good games near season’s end. He’ll come back much better, I’m betting on it. He was a great shooter in high school. When you play on a losing team, you press to make something happen when you get in the game. It makes it hard for many guys to deliver. The game is so much easier for a freshman with good teammates. Adams should have been coming in to spell the talented starters. Instead, he was coming in hoping he could turn things around. Totally different.

Reaction Score
Could say the same thing about B Adams. Why is no one up in arms about him?
The kid was a lights out shooter in high school and is extremely smart. He will be easy for Hurley to work with. He was recruited as a mid major guy though so it probably will take him more consistent minutes to get adjusted to high major basketball. We've all been saying that we need shooters on this team, Brendan Adams is a guy with potential to shoot 40%+ from 3. We're already adding 3 talented pieces to the team next year who will make everyone around them better. Gaffney, Bouk, and Akok will be as big of contributors to Brendan's development as Hurley will be.

Reaction Score
It really doesn't happen that often. And the bold bit is usually why. Getting your type of guys into the system can take time.

It usually happens when 1. there's a fairly stocked cupboard of your type of guy and/or 2. you go heavily the grad transfer/juco route.
I still say its possible. Hurley in his 2nd year, he recruited his players, other players get a year under their belt Hurley style. He's the coach, I expect to see some improvement. Not expecting a National or AAC Championship but better then Chris Mullin type of improvement lol

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
The kid was a lights out shooter in high school and is extremely smart.

I’ve seen that he had a 3.9 GPA in HS. Do we have a stat to back up the “light-out shooter” assessment? He shot 23.5% on 3’s this year.

Reaction Score
Gilbert is not a combo guard. Never was.

AG was never the starting point guard at Miller Grove. He would often take over the point in the course of a game but only to get the ball into his hands so he could manufacture his own shot. He was always their go-to scorer, never a point set-up man. The image of AG as a pure point was always a fancy of this forum, an assumption based on his size. His unfamiliarity with that role was clear from the outset at UConn and was a particular detriment when he was on the floor with Jalen. They were always competing scorers, never a complementary 1 and 2. Jalen paid the price for that.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I still say its possible. Hurley in his 2nd year, he recruited his players, other players get a year under their belt Hurley style. He's the coach, I expect to see some improvement. Not expecting a National or AAC Championship but better then Chris Mullin type of improvement lol

Definitely some improvement. I wasn't saying there wouldn't be any. I mean, we saw improvement this year. Despite injuries, we went from 179 to 98 in Kenpom this year. That's a nice jump.

I'm hoping for better next year, but I think both losing your best player and having a razor thin front court are significant headwinds. Throw in Gilbert's health, and who knows?

Reaction Score
To add a thought to my previous post, Jalen did not come to UConn as a point guard, nor did he ever become a pure point, but by his senior year, he was a more savvy point than AG. Jalen's scoring not only suffered with AG at the point, but the team lost the advantage of having its best man running the offense.

Reaction Score
AG was never the starting point guard at Miller Grove. He would often take over the point in the course of a game but only to get the ball into his hands so he could manufacture his own shot. He was always their go-to scorer, never a point set-up man. The image of AG as a pure point was always a fancy of this forum, an assumption based on his size. His unfamiliarity with that role was clear from the outset at UConn and was a particular detriment when he was on the floor with Jalen. They were always competing scorers, never a complementary 1 and 2. Jalen paid the price for that.
Asking with genuine curiosity, did he play the same role on the AAU team?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If you are a "lights out" shooter in HS you don't shoot like BA did this year
I understand all the 1st DH recruit stuff but DH gave him some legit time and the kid never improved over the course of the season
I will bet that if there is better talent coming in and 2 years down the road, DH doesn't look at a comparable BA
I still feel priority is a serviceable BIG for the upcoming season

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I’ve seen that he had a 3.9 GPA in HS. Do we have a stat to back up the “light-out shooter” assessment? He shot 23.5% on 3’s this year.

Lots of guys come in and shoot poorly their first year. They're adjusting to the speed of the college game, they've got too many other things going on in their head, and so on and so forth. And given he wasn't a highly rated guy, these things are compounded.

Interested to see how he shoots next year. Doubt he's lights out, but It'll def look better imo

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
Lots of guys come in and shoot poorly their first year. They're adjusting to the speed of the college game, they've got too many other things going on in their head, and so on and so forth. And given he wasn't a highly rated guy, these things are compounded.

Interested to see how he shoots next year. Doubt he's lights out, but It'll def look better imo
True, and as my previous post indicates, I’m fine with patience. I just haven’t seen anything that backs up the belief that in HS he was a great shooter. Scorer, maybe. And he’s got to improve his ball-handling.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
True, and as my previous post indicates, I’m fine with patience. I just haven’t seen anything that backs up the belief that in HS he was a great shooter. Scorer, maybe. And he’s got to improve his ball-handling.

He's got to improve a lot of things, quite frankly. On a normal team, he doesn't see the court until junior year. But we work with what we have right now.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
People are really upset that Whaley isn't getting kicked off the team? Really? When we literally don't have a backup center on the roster? He's 5 fouls that plays hard with solid defense. I don't know exactly who everyone thinks we could bring in at this stage to play valuable minutes backing up Carlton at the 5; the one big guy I've seen us linked to looks like just a body.

I don't think Pork Chop is making any all-conference teams, but rooting for him to get thrown off the team is a little much for me, especially with no good options out there to replace him.

Reaction Score

Davide Moretti of UConn visit fame (certainly not "team just played in national title fame") shot 31% his freshman year. 46% his sophomore year on double the attempts. It happens. Adams shot about 80% from the FT line, he'll be fine eventually if he puts the work in..

Reaction Score
Why? What a waste of a roster spot

It's already been explained to you that absent a behaviour / attitude / effort issue no one will be forced out. It has always been this way. At almost all programs. Some kids want to stay. Some kids think they will improve. Some kids bet on themselves. Some kids want a degree from UConn. Some kids don't want to pack up and go to BFE State. Just give it a rest.

Reaction Score
I'm a diehard Mamadou and "Pork Chop" fan if for no other reason than that they are non-stop hustlers both. I think that neither guy has had his chance and not solely due to injury. I have no quarrel with seeing it through next year with these two. Diarra behind Akok and Whaley behind Carlton fills out the frontcourt, and allows us to dispense with the current idea of bringing in a JUCO bruiser. It allows us to get the backup ball handler we need. I love Gilbert and Gaffney but both are high school combo guards being asked to transition to the point. Neither is yet a savvy ballhandler, and there is no third ballhandler, which leaves us dangerously thin when the inevitable injury occurs. Would I take a 5-star talent up front. Of course. Line forms at the right.
Polley is going on to back up Akok. I wouldn’t rely on Diarra for much due to his injury history.

Reaction Score
People are really upset that Whaley isn't getting kicked off the team? Really? When we literally don't have a backup center on the roster? He's 5 fouls that plays hard with solid defense. I don't know exactly who everyone thinks we could bring in at this stage to play valuable minutes backing up Carlton at the 5; the one big guy I've seen us linked to looks like just a body.

I don't think Pork Chop is making any all-conference teams, but rooting for him to get thrown off the team is a little much for me, especially with no good options out there to replace him.
He is alright in blocking shots on defense but I wouldn’t call him even good there. His lack of girth proved it was hard to keep him on the fooor long without fouling out fast. Big guys would just bully him into fouls. He needs to gain some weight for next year if he is going to be our backup center.

Reaction Score
I still think Whaley has potential. Let us remember we have a coaching staff that can actually develop players (see Carlton). Yes, he has a very awkward shot, but he has a high motor and decent instincts. Just needs to learn defensive positioning and get a little stronger and I think he can provide us with a solid 10 minutes per game in the future. I also thought he did a solid job in the very few minutes we saw from him at the end of the season.
It’s too bad his jumper is busted because if he had one he’d be a good backup 4.

Reaction Score
Gilbert not a savvy ballhandler. Cute.

He's been a pure point since he was in 8th-grade.

Assist to turnover ratio is not a Husky strong suit....ranked #212.

While the assist to TO stat isn't the end-all, be-all....and depends on style of play, etc....that stat could be a lot better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom