Is This Our Team Pretty Much? | The Boneyard

Is This Our Team Pretty Much?

Reaction Score
Are we likely to add really good players at this poont or are we whistling in the wind? I know we are pursuing grad transfers but haven’t most of the 4 and 5 star freshman big men talents already committted? So this is the team with 3 new additions good though they may be? Does not seem like near enough to turn this team around next year.

Reaction Score
So I’m “acquaintances” with some of the players and I don’t get the vibe anyone is leaving, but Hurley offering several guys implies otherwise. I could be wrong. The only way I currently see a scholly opening is if mamadou is stepping away. I don’t have any inside info, just giving my two cents

Reaction Score
Takes more than a year to turn around a team completely, and anyone who think otherwise is going to be disappointed. But no, the roster is not yet set, mainly because there is still one spot open. Bad year to only have 12 total, though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So I’m “acquaintances” with some of the players and I don’t get the vibe anyone is leaving, but Hurley offering several guys implies otherwise. I could be wrong. The only way I currently see a scholly opening is if mamadou is stepping away. I don’t have any inside info, just giving my two cents

If that happens we have 2 scholarships available for next season. I think that is enough to get a helpful big for next season and a talented transfer (from UNLV :)) who will probably have to sit a year. That is more than enough to be an improved team next season. The returning guys just need to really put the work in starting yesterday. Gilbert is going to be on a seek and destroy mission next season. I can feeeel it

Reaction Score
I'm a diehard Mamadou and "Pork Chop" fan if for no other reason than that they are non-stop hustlers both. I think that neither guy has had his chance and not solely due to injury. I have no quarrel with seeing it through next year with these two. Diarra behind Akok and Whaley behind Carlton fills out the frontcourt, and allows us to dispense with the current idea of bringing in a JUCO bruiser. It allows us to get the backup ball handler we need. I love Gilbert and Gaffney but both are high school combo guards being asked to transition to the point. Neither is yet a savvy ballhandler, and there is no third ballhandler, which leaves us dangerously thin when the inevitable injury occurs. Would I take a 5-star talent up front. Of course. Line forms at the right.

Reaction Score
I still think Whaley has potential. Let us remember we have a coaching staff that can actually develop players (see Carlton). Yes, he has a very awkward shot, but he has a high motor and decent instincts. Just needs to learn defensive positioning and get a little stronger and I think he can provide us with a solid 10 minutes per game in the future. I also thought he did a solid job in the very few minutes we saw from him at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
Why? What a waste of a roster spot

Please refer to the below post:
I still think Whaley has potential. Let us remember we have a coaching staff that can actually develop players (see Carlton). Yes, he has a very awkward shot, but he has a high motor and decent instincts. Just needs to learn defensive positioning and get a little stronger and I think he can provide us with a solid 10 minutes per game in the future. I also thought he did a solid job in the very few minutes we saw from him at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
Takes more than a year to turn around a team completely, and anyone who think otherwise is going to be disappointed. But no, the roster is not yet set, mainly because there is still one spot open. Bad year to only have 12 total, though.
A team can be definitely be turned around in a year! Right coaching, right players for the system, right plays, defense and offense clicking. It happens often.

Reaction Score
A team can be definitely be turned around in a year! Right coaching, right players for the system, right plays, defense and offense clicking. It happens often.

Teams can take jumps season to season, of course, but adjusting program stuff isn’t a quick fix. There’s ground to be made up. Recruiting relationships need to be repaired, guys have had to learn how to practice and follow a legit strength program, all that stuff matters. I love the off-season, though. It’s April. The roster they roll out in November isn’t set. Also, Diarra will not be taking up a roster spot for two more years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
thanks

Reaction Score
I'm a diehard Mamadou and "Pork Chop" fan if for no other reason than that they are non-stop hustlers both. I think that neither guy has had his chance and not solely due to injury. I have no quarrel with seeing it through next year with these two. Diarra behind Akok and Whaley behind Carlton fills out the frontcourt, and allows us to dispense with the current idea of bringing in a JUCO bruiser. It allows us to get the backup ball handler we need. I love Gilbert and Gaffney but both are high school combo guards being asked to transition to the point. Neither is yet a savvy ballhandler, and there is no third ballhandler, which leaves us dangerously thin when the inevitable injury occurs. Would I take a 5-star talent up front. Of course. Line forms at the right.

Gilbert is not a combo guard. Never was.

Reaction Score

Gilbert not a savvy ballhandler. Cute.

He's been a pure point since he was in 8th-grade.

Reaction Score
He couldn't get off the bench last year, in a rebuilding year. That's not encouraging when most expect us to be improving and competing this year.

All these people preaching about honoring a commitment will be the first to complain about an underperforming front court in January

Player development, my friend. We’ve been accustomed to not seeing it but now we will. Just because a guy doesn’t get minutes as a freshman/sophomore doesn’t mean he won’t as a junior/senior.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
When this dead period ends I suspect we’ll at least use our final scholarship on a transfer although a late signee is possible as well. As far as kids transferung out I don’t know what to think we have 2 or 3 guys who probably shouldn’t be on the team but kids typically announce their intentions to transfer by now. I wouldn’t count on any transfers.

Reaction Score
Player development, my friend. We’ve been accustomed to not seeing it but now we will. Just because a guy doesn’t get minutes as a freshman/sophomore doesn’t mean he won’t as a junior/senior.
I get development and I hope I'm wrong. But usually there's a glimpse of a starting point

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
This is the first time I've had any sort of reservations with the staff. I have trouble believing it's true but if so, this sucks.

You can’t be surprised by it though.

Hurley isn’t a coach who runs guys off. But I bet he did tell them what their real opportunities here are.

I’m a big Whaley fan, he could quite possibly win a DPoY award if he transferred to a non power conference before he graduates, but he doesn’t fit Hurley’s offense at all.

Reaction Score

Hurley isn’t a coach who runs guys off. But I bet he did tell them what their real opportunities here are.

I’m a big Whaley fan, he could quite possibly win a DPoY award if he transferred to a non power conference before he graduates, but he doesn’t fit Hurley’s offense at all.
He was headed to the A-10 until Ollie offered. He averaged 3 mpg on a team with an injury riddled and depleted front court. Sure, he’s a big reason we won Rd 1 of the AAC tournament and showed a flash. But even if he develops, he’s not the talent upgrade we need to our frontcourt if we’re serious about making a significant jump next year.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
He was headed to the A-10 until Ollie offered. He averaged 3 mpg on a team with an injury riddled and depleted front court. Sure, he’s a big reason we won Rd 1 of the AAC tournament and showed a flash. But even if he develops, he’s not the talent upgrade we need to our frontcourt if we’re serious about making a significant jump next year.

Not disagreeing with you.

I do think he’d be a Killer defensive player in the A10 ( mods: not speculating movement, just a talent discussion)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

It really doesn't happen that often. And the bold bit is usually why. Getting your type of guys into the system can take time.

It usually happens when 1. there's a fairly stocked cupboard of your type of guy and/or 2. you go heavily the grad transfer/juco route.

Reaction Score

He's simply not nearly good enough for this level. Every coach in this type of position tells the player they aren't a part of the plan and then you find them a landing spot that fits their skill level. Tying up two schollies for two years in kids who can't play is crazy and will really hurt us turning this thing around. They better figure it out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom