Is This Growth For Muffet? | The Boneyard

Is This Growth For Muffet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll shoot myself to the moon if she has truly given up her penchant for hyperbole ;)
Oh you exaggerate!!

Is this done for the World?? Or one or two on her team? I assume it is later for the latter!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think before the end of the year, both KLS and Gabby get some consideration for NPOY, or at least, the AA 1st, 2nd, or 3rd teams (if anyone goes 15 deep). But there are so many kids this year who come in with lots of "publicity" including Wilson, Turner and Mitchell. Lots of big time scorers out there and lots of chances for kids to make an impact on those who vote at the end of the year...

Reaction Score
I thought Muffet had already announced that Brianna was the nation's best player. I'm not sure that Turner was even the best player on ND last year given the clutch, all-around play of Madison Cable. This year the most talented player (size+athleticism) is clearly (IMO) Aja Wilson. How well talented players are used will go a long way to determining which of several will be crowned best. Muffet has not only anointed Brianna the best, but she has already claimed that "parity" is here. That's confusing two ideas: one that it's good psychology to name one's own player transcendent (even if it's not true), and, two, that talent alone equals parity--parity is based on actual performance. McGraw is twice expressing wishful thinking. As one of the best coaches in the game, she's entitled to do so and may actually be proven correct. But first: play the games. (Anyway, wouldn't you rather have the best TEAM, not the best player?)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Has Turner regressed? Last year MM said she was the best player in the country.

Yup, that's what she said. I remember seeing the video. Speaking of "flip-flopping", I also remember Charlie Cream ranking ND # 1 in his way too early top 25 rankings back in August. Now he's flip-flopping, and has UConn #1 prior to any games being played. What happened between then and now for UConn to move up 3 places to #1? If UConn is #1 now, they should have been #1 then!!! :eek: Consistency = credibility

Reaction Score
All I know is that if Walker (#1) and Westbrook (#2) end up at ND there better be no excuses for not winning the NC at least one time..................because after all, "it's all about the talent"

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
All I know is that if Walker (#1) and Westbrook (#2) end up at ND there better be no excuses for not winning the NC at least one time...because after all, "it's all about the talent"

There is the problem that if they do it together, whose "brand" will prevail. :eek:

Reaction Score
I think before the end of the year, both KLS and Gabby get some consideration for NPOY, or at least, the AA 1st, 2nd, or 3rd teams (if anyone goes 15 deep). But there are so many kids this year who come in with lots of "publicity" including Wilson, Turner and Mitchell. Lots of big time scorers out there and lots of chances for kids to make an impact on those who vote at the end of the year...

I agree with Katie Lou and Gabby, possible more--you are correct that Hi Visibility helps NPOY selection and AA's. Don't count Uconn out---because of the past 4 years --Uconn will be getting a lot of press--even with or because of losses--there are a lot of Sport "journalist"??? who'd like to see Uconn get their deserved "come-uper -ance_" So they will be on top of Uconn just to watch UC slip--poor ignorant fools.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I thought Muffet had already announced that Brianna was the nation's best player. I'm not sure that Turner was even the best player on ND last year given the clutch, all-around play of Madison Cable. This year the most talented player (size+athleticism) is clearly (IMO) Aja Wilson. How well talented players are used will go a long way to determining which of several will be crowned best. Muffet has not only anointed Brianna the best, but she has already claimed that "parity" is here. That's confusing two ideas: one that it's good psychology to name one's own player transcendent (even if it's not true), and, two, that talent alone equals parity--parity is based on actual performance. McGraw is twice expressing wishful thinking. As one of the best coaches in the game, she's entitled to do so and may actually be proven correct. But first: play the games. (Anyway, wouldn't you rather have the best TEAM, not the best player?)

The media agreed with Muffet that Brianna Turner was better than Madison Cable, as she was a 2nd team AA and was received one ACC POY awards last season (Myisha Hines-Allen received the other).

I do not understand why so many UConn fans take this whole parity issue as either an insult or wishful thinking. It's not only Muffet, Geno, and other coaches saying it, but the media as well. Even though UConn was voted first by the coaches and received the most 1st place votes (56%), they also received an average rank of 2.4, which indicates that even the coaches thought that UConn was not head and shoulders over the competition this season.

Average ballot rank in Coaches' Poll

2.4 UConn
2.9 Notre Dame
3.8 South Carolina
3.8 Baylor
7.2 Maryland
7.4 Ohio State
7.4 Texas
7.7 Louisville
11.0 UCLA
11.4 Stanford

Reaction Score
Yup, that's what she said. I remember seeing the video. Speaking of "flip-flopping", I also remember Charlie Cream ranking ND # 1 in his way too early top 25 rankings back in August. Now he's flip-flopping, and has UConn #1 prior to any games being played. What happened between then and now for UConn to move up 3 places to #1? If UConn is #1 now, they should have been #1 then!!! :eek: Consistency = credibility

Intelligent people ---change their minds--change their positions on somethings--
That's why I never post the same thing on the same subject--Smart huh??

If Charlies keeps changing who is number one--he'll get creamed.

Reaction Score
The media agreed with Muffet that Brianna Turner was better than Madison Cable, as she was a 2nd team AA and was received one ACC POY awards last season (Myisha Hines-Allen received the other).

I do not understand why so many UConn fans take this whole parity issue as either an insult or wishful thinking. It's not only Muffet, Geno, and other coaches saying it, but the media as well. Even though UConn was voted first by the coaches and received the most 1st place votes (56%), they also received an average rank of 2.4, which indicates that even the coaches thought that UConn was not head and shoulders over the competition this season.

Average ballot rank in Coaches' Poll

2.4 UConn
2.9 Notre Dame
3.8 South Carolina
3.8 Baylor
7.2 Maryland
7.4 Ohio State
7.4 Texas
7.7 Louisville
11.0 UCLA
11.4 Stanford

You are right on a lot---Madison Cable --has been one heck of a player for ND. And one of the luckiest (the rebound she put back (right place at the right time) to beat USC))--I enjoyed watching her at ND--as a Freshman, Senior and beyond- Muffet was lucky and pleased to have her.

As for Uconn being (my words) obsessed about parity--WRONG--most of us don't give a rats asset about it--because some of us believe in the top 5 to 7 teams the last few years --there was parity --to steal a phrase--what difference does it make???

Parity doesn't mean everyone gets to beat everyone at least once--it means you have the assets to beat anyone. ND has had that, whether you know it or believe it--that's your issue. USC has had the people to take on anyone. MD on a given night too. If Tn used their people properly, those that they had, they'd be in the running. Parity is a dream and overrated. It is something the pundits found to write about. For most of the last 20 or more years ND has been at the top of the hill---so what?

Don't measure your team or Uconn by Stewies, Morgan, Moriah, Dt, Maya, Tina--they don't happen every year.. It's the Cables, Allens, Ochonwa's, Peters, Novesels -Dolsons, Strothers, Conlons, Colliers, Samuelsons--that are there for you every year..

Reaction Score

The ESPN rankings are not Charlie's, they're the composite of the ESPN voters (Hayes, Voepel, Creme, and one or two others). I think he now has Louisville as his overall 1 seed in his bracketology with ND the 2nd #1 seed.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I do not understand why so many UConn fans take this whole parity issue as either an insult or wishful thinking.

I take parity to mean that for any given game, both teams have a reasonable shot at winning it. If this definition is valid, it would imply that the teams are (or can briefly be) roughly equal in effort, talent, or other key aspects.

What some here are a little grouchy about, I think, is the notion that parity arrives in this case only because the three best players in the game graduated from the best program in the game. That's not much of a parity, that's just an example of opportunity via attrition. Our attrition, their opportunity. How would you like it if Miss Muffett had said, "I am glad that the last four years are behind me; now we can all lower the bar." That's not what she said perhaps, but it's what appears (to some here) to have been her thinking on the subject. If MM had eleven NCAA Championship trophies in her office, I doubt she'd be quite so grand a celebrant of "parity."

As for me, I don't care too much what anybody in South Bend thinks or says. This is my first post on the subject in some time, and likely my last.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The ESPN rankings are not Charlie's, they're the composite of the ESPN voters (Hayes, Voepel, Creme, and one or two others). I think he now has Louisville as his overall 1 seed in his bracketology with ND the 2nd #1 seed.

OK, Thanks Mudcat. ;) If he's got Louisville as #1 (before any games have been played), he's still flip-flopping.
But thanks for the clarification.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I take parity to mean that for any given game, both teams have a reasonable shot at winning it. If this definition is valid, it would imply that the teams are (or can briefly be) roughly equal in effort, talent, or other key aspects.

What some here are a little grouchy about, I think, is the notion that parity arrives in this case only because the three best players in the game graduated from the best program in the game. That's not much of a parity, that's just an example of opportunity via attrition. Our attrition, their opportunity. How would you like it if Miss Muffett had said, "I am glad that the last four years are behind me; now we can all lower the bar." That's not what she said perhaps, but it's what appears (to some here) to have been her thinking on the subject. If MM had eleven NCAA Championship trophies in her office, I doubt she'd be quite so grand a celebrant of "parity."

As for me, I don't care too much what anybody in South Bend thinks or says. This is my first post on the subject in some time, and likely my last.

BigBird, Don't be so quick to step down off of your soapbox. Your comments have merit.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have seen very few ND games and know little of Turner, but could it be Muffet backed off because Turner is a reluctant hero type who does not enjoy the glare of the spotlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom