Is This Geno Auriemma's Finest Hour? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is This Geno Auriemma's Finest Hour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
OK, I'm not trying to channel my inner Kibitzer here, but since this keeps reappearing on thread after thread, I feel compelled, hopefully without giving offense, to offer the following:

The young women on our favorite team can choose to play carefree and loose.
One day, blessedly far off in the distant future, they will, alas, inevitably lose....maybe.
But what they cannot do, and will never do, is loose!
Sorry!!
As long as they don't choose to be loose!

While you're at it, explain that "a lot" is two words.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No Taurasi but 3 players playing at AA level and the Core 4 are playing like they have been there before and they have just in different roles. Because 03 had Diana didnt make them the best team. Texas was very talented that year and Dee took over the game but Texas was better overall imo.
I remember they were on the verge of losing that game and it wasn't Taurasi that actually turned the tide. I don't remember what the young lady's name was (Oh yeah, Wilnett Crockett) but were it not for her, the LEGEND OF TAURASI would not be nearly as profound to a lot of Boneyarders as it is. Though Taurasi had a good game against Texas, it was Crockett that made some great (and unexpected) plays that turned the tide. I think that UConn team was a pretty good team with Anne Strothers and Battles and I thought there was a lot of Boneyarders that really thought Maria Conlon was quite a player, as well. You'd think that other than Diana, that the team was nothing but backwash! It definitely wasn't a one man team and yet that's the way all too many people perceive it.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Is this Geno's finest hour? Let's put that question on the shelf until the first week in April. We can give a more intelligent and objective answer then. If Geno can get his team to the final four in Dallas, they will have an excellent chance of winning #12. After nine games, UConn is right back in their old familiar position in the top 25 rankings. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Every D-1 team in the country will want a seed in the tournament come March, but none of them want to be in the "Bridgeport" Region for obvious reasons. UConn has another streak they've got working. It's a win streak of winning the NC every time they get to the championship game. None of them would mind facing UConn in the championship game, just not before then.

Every team knows that if they're going to win the national championship, at some point sooner or later, they're going to have to play UConn. No team looks forward to playing UConn in a win or go home match up.Why? because UConn hasn't lost a game in over 2 years, and they know Geno always has his girls ready to play. It's almost impossible to knock off UConn during the first two weekends of the tournament.

I don't recall any poster in the yard this summer predicting or suggesting that UConn would begin the season 9-0, yet here we are. If Geno does in fact pull off the improbable, with THIS team, and win #12, the NCAA should name the WCBB D-1 championship trophy "The Geno Auriemma Championship Trophy". It would be an appropriate gesture. Geno is walking on very sacred ground right now, that few (if any) will ever tread upon.

He has already amassed more NC trophies than any other D-1 women's coach probably ever will. Most thought this would be a down year, a rebuilding year for Geno. I don't think even he saw this coming. The returning players went on record right after the victory parade saying that they weren't conceding anything. So far, they're holding serve on that pronouncement. UConn is 9 games in to a 29 game regular season schedule. That's almost 1/3 of the season.

They're running out of teams that were suppose to beat them the first two months of the season. There are only 3 left. Ohio State, Maryland and South Carolina. South Carolina & Ohio St have already suffered a loss. Maryland is 11-0, but played only 2 ranked ranked teams (#23 Ariz St & #7 Louisville) up to this point. They beat Ariz St 83-42 / Louisville by 6 points 78-72. Six of these teams have losing records. The combined W-L total for these teams is 45-58. Maryland's unbeaten record to this point is for the most part is against teams outside of the current top 40.

Last edited:

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Is This Geno Auriemma's Finest Hour?
"We live in deeds, not years." Aristotle
.....Everyone knew, going into this season, that it was unrealistic to expect such a young team to extend UConn's extraordinary winning streak this far into it's early schedule, so packed with top ranked competition. The team, including their leader, did it anyway. What a start!
.....Sure, we wait until the end of the season before concluding just how good that entire season was. But, to evaluate this "hour?" This superb start? Heck. It couldn't have been finer.

upload_2016-12-14_3-11-8.png

Reaction Score
OK, I'm not trying to channel my inner Kibitzer here, but since this keeps reappearing on thread after thread, I feel compelled, hopefully without giving offense, to offer the following:

One day, blessedly far off in the distant future, they will, alas, inevitably lose....maybe.
Sorry!!
Come on Big P---lose en UP!! Youse can loose with a noose.

Reaction Score

Sorry!!

If you loose your ire against loose language, you will lose your mind. Loosen up and you can't lose.

Reaction Score
"We live in deeds, not years." Aristotle
.....Everyone knew, going into this season, that it was unrealistic to expect such a young team to extend UConn's extraordinary winning streak this far into it's early schedule, so packed with top ranked competition. The team, including their leader, did it anyway. What a start!
.....Sure, we wait until the end of the season before concluding just how good that entire season was. But, to evaluate this "hour?"
This superb start? Heck. It couldn't have been finer.

View attachment 17656

I absolutely agree!! The end of the season may not be as hoped---but they have exceeded my expectation already!! "It COULDN'T HAVE BEEN FINER"
Churchill Geno ain't !! But a nice interpretation of a needed speech to the British peoples .
If Aristotle is correct---some may never live and some may possess many years.

Reaction Score
I remember they were on the verge of losing that game and it wasn't Taurasi that actually turned the tide. I don't remember what the young lady's name was (Oh yeah, Wilnett Crockett) but were it not for her, the LEGEND OF TAURASI would not be nearly as profound to a lot of Boneyarders as it is. Though Taurasi had a good game against Texas, it was Crockett that made some great (and unexpected) plays that turned the tide. I think that UConn team was a pretty good team with Anne Strothers and Battles and I thought there was a lot of Boneyarders that really thought Maria Conlon was quite a player, as well. You'd think that other than Diana, that the team was nothing but backwash! It definitely wasn't a one man team and yet that's the way all too many people perceive it.

First I am a huge Maria Conlon fan--pretty fair hs PLAYER, put down by Geno--isn't quick--but her minutes were big minutes.
Willnet--love that kid, she and the BT express (Barbara Turner)---along with AnnStrother--gave DT much needed support. DT to be certain is/was an outstanding player.
Thank you for knowing and remembering those kids who were outstanding in what they did. Much like the "support" players this year, Chong, Natalie, Molly, Dangerfield, ---Like Maria and Willnet --their performances are not always flashy or make fans shout--did you see that--but a fan of BB shall see that pass, that block, that pick that make the score.
Thank you!!

Reaction Score
Both the 2003 and 2004 Championship teams were driven, as stated above by the incredible, DT, and a cast that followed her lead!
This edition of our Huskies has some talented young ladies but have no obvious leader(s) going in, but boy the guts & talent they've shown has been inspiring!
It is an example of how dedicated to their principals the Coaching Staff is, as nothing changes in practice or games. They recruit top athletes that are even better human beings and drive them mercilessly to be as good as they can be, with no excuses offered or accepted!
At the beginning of each season my only hope for that season's team is to stay healthy from injuries and/or sickness and then let the chips fall where they may! I don't need a Championship to be proud of the program!
Having coached for 32 years, I watch the games in total amazement at what the Coaching staff does day-in-and-day out!
Assistant coaches change and even the new Assts fit right in and continue the quest for perfection!
This country may never see a more complete and driven program at ALL levels of competition professional or amateur than the UCONN WBB Team, under Geno & CD!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Funny how these things work. Belichick has long been thought the greatest NFL coach in recent years (and among best ever) but it stopped being said for a bit until he went 3 and 1 without Brady this year, and then the superlatives began again. Now, suddenly, everyone's saying the same thing about Geno...again.... (even by Vols fans on the Tennessee message board!). Like oldude, I'd refrain until we see how it plays out this year from applying Churchillian descriptors to him, but I do think it's in a general way reflective of his being the greatest coach of all time in WCBB and certainly no one's been better at any level of the sport, in either men's or women's.
Got a like for the phrase "Churchillian descriptors."

RE2PECT-05.gif

Reaction Score
Is this Geno's finest hour? Let's put that question on the shelf until the first week in April. We can give a more intelligent and objective answer then. If Geno can get his team to the final four in Dallas, they will have an excellent chance of winning #12. After nine games, UConn is right back in their old familiar position in the top 25 rankings. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Every D-1 team in the country will want a seed in the tournament come March, but none of them want to be in the "Bridgeport" Region for obvious reasons. UConn has another streak they've got working. It's a win streak of winning the NC every time they get to the championship game. None of them would mind facing UConn in the championship game, just not before then.

Every team knows that if they're going to win the national championship, at some point sooner or later, they're going to have to play UConn. No team looks forward to playing UConn in a win or go home match up.Why? because UConn hasn't lost a game in over 2 years, and they know Geno always has his girls ready to play. It's almost impossible to knock off UConn during the first two weekends of the tournament.

I don't recall any poster in the yard this summer predicting or suggesting that UConn would begin the season 9-0, yet here we are. If Geno does in fact pull off the improbable, with THIS team, and win #12, the NCAA should name the WCBB D-1 championship trophy "The Geno Auriemma Championship Trophy". It would be an appropriate gesture. Geno is walking on very sacred ground right now, that few (if any) will ever tread upon.

He has already amassed more NC trophies than any other D-1 women's coach probably ever will. Most thought this would be a down year, a rebuilding year for Geno. I don't think even he saw this coming. The returning players went on record right after the victory parade saying that they weren't conceding anything. So far, they're holding serve on that pronouncement. UConn is 9 games in to a 29 game regular season schedule. That's almost 1/3 of the season.

They're running out of teams that were suppose to beat them the first two months of the season. There are only 3 left. Ohio State, Maryland and South Carolina. South Carolina & Ohio St have already suffered a loss. Maryland is 11-0, but played only 2 ranked ranked teams (#23 Ariz St & #7 Louisville) up to this point. They beat Ariz St 83-42 / Louisville by 6 points 78-72. Six of these teams have losing records. The combined W-L total for these teams is 45-58. Maryland's unbeaten record to this point is for the most part is against teams outside of the current top 40.
I was a Boneyarder that suggested that it was quite possible that UConn would be unbeaten at this point unlike a lot of Boneyarders who felt their inexperience would never allow that. I wasn't happy that there was a great presumption that we would have already suffered some losses by now.

Reaction Score
Got a like for the phrase "Churchillian descriptors."

RE2PECT-05.gif
Rudy Guiliani had a moment or two after 9/11 where he handled himself in a wonderful manner in the wake of an American horror and deserved some accolades for his conduct. In recent years he's used those moments in such a derogatory way that he makes many Americans, myself included, disgusted. The visual of him in light of who he's become (or maybe always was) is pretty offensive. I'm hopeful that we won't see any more political figures here on the Boneyard because obviously there is decidedly different views on a number of these figures. There may be exceptions that everyone can agree on like Washington or Lincoln but in general, why don't we agree not to post any modern political figure where there might be dissenting views!

Reaction Score
I remember Tennessee lost 10 games and won the championship one year. If geno's team lost a significant amount of games in this stretch and a few in the conference but pull out a 12th champion, people would say it is the finest hour. He does have an Olympian, a HS no 1 ranking player and a high jumper at Olympia level plus a no 1 HS guard.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Rudy Guiliani had a moment or two after 9/11 where he handled himself in a wonderful manner in the wake of an American horror and deserved some accolades for his conduct. In recent years he's used those moments in such a derogatory way that he makes many Americans, myself included, disgusted. The visual of him in light of who he's become (or maybe always was) is pretty offensive. I'm hopeful that we won't see any more political figures here on the Boneyard because obviously there is decidedly different views on a number of these figures. There may be exceptions that everyone can agree on like Washington or Lincoln but in general, why don't we agree not to post any modern political figure where there might be dissenting views!
Crimeny it was a tip of a hat gif and you are turning it into a political statement? I think that's a bridge too far, don't you?

"The visual of him in light of who he's become (or maybe always was) is pretty offensive."

Judge-Judy-Shake-My-Head-Gif.gif

*Use of this GIF file is not intended as an endorsement of the views or actions of Judge Judy and should not be interpreted as such. The use of said GIF file is merely intended to comically convey a disbelief and mild disapproval of the overreaction shown in the quoted text above.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think more than anything, it shows how far ahead of everybody else UCONN was last season. The fact that they lose their three best players, basically regroup this year with the returning role players and they are still head and shoulders better than anybody else is pretty mindboggling. I don't think anyone saw Collier/Williams as All-American caliber players after their roles last season, but they're 2 of the nation's best players now.

I don't think this season is necessarily evidence of his best coaching job, but it is perhaps the strongest example of how far ahead of every other coach he is. This takes away the notion of, "his success is because he gets all of the talented players." His recruiting top talent is a big contributor, as 9 of his 11 titles have come with a "once in a decade" type of recruit (Moore/Stewart/Taurasi), but this year he doesn't have that caliber player on his team, and no one else could absorb losing 3 All-Americans, including 2 of the best players ever at their position, and STILL come out with the best team in the country who has a pretty good shot of running the table.
I like 95% of what most of posters are stating however there are some significant points that need to be highlight-KLS was #1 in her class and Napheesa was #7 and while both were "role" players last year, they were SIGNIFICANT players. Both have developed similarly to other great players from their first year. Gabby is probably more of the surprise again though we all saw this energy and athleticism last year so are we truly surprised? All that said, Geno's "machine" is an unbelievably efficient and awe inspiring program we haven't seen but once before in UCLA in the 60's. And even this has surpassed that program! This team shows more grit and resolve so far than the last 4 years as evidenced in their ability to close out games. I am in awe and love watching this unfold. Kudos to the team, coaching staff, school and to my fellow boneyarders who continue to give great insights!

Reaction Score
Buzzyboy, I completely share your personal feelings about Rudy, but, jeez, maybe we can lighten up. He's tipping a Yankee's cap (a team I despise almost as much as I do its wearer!), but it was intended as a compliment to what I wrote and I took it that way. Let's please don't make this an even more restricted "safe space" than it already is.

And CL 82 gives us a video of Judge Judy (Sheindlin), who was previously appointed as a Democratic judge in New York. So now we're all even politically speaking. :)

Reaction Score
Buzzyboy, I completely share your personal feelings about Rudy, but, jeez, maybe we can lighten up. He's tipping a Yankee's cap (a team I despise almost as much as I do its wearer!), but it was intended as a compliment to what I wrote and I took it that way. Let's please don't make this an even more restricted "safe space" than it already is.

And CL 82 gives us a video of Judge Judy (Sheindlin), who was previously appointed as a Democratic judge in New York. So now we're all even politically speaking. :)
Despise the Yankees, Shame on you Bags, lol!

Reaction Score

Saturation and personal politics don't belong on the Boneyard.
I get enough of that crap during the evening news---who wants it in Women's Basketball--keep the By for Uconn --leave the politics in the closet .

Carnac

Reaction Score
I was a Boneyarder that suggested that it was quite possible that UConn would be unbeaten at this point unlike a lot of Boneyarders who felt their inexperience would never allow that. I wasn't happy that there was a great presumption that we would have already suffered some losses by now.

Well Mr. Buzzyboy, a tip o' the turban to you sir. I'm a seer, and I did not think UConn had a snow ball's chance in hell of being 9-0 at this point. I thought that this team would fare better than most folks did, but I did have them losing to Baylor, and possibly Notre Dame. I thought Baylor would over whelm us with their size, and we would struggle against their post players. I thought Nina Davis would have a better game than she did.

During the summer, there were so many "unknowns". We couldn't even agree on who the 5th starter should be. Some thought Saniya, some Natalie Butler, still others thought Crystal would get the nod. We were not sure who would take up the slack in scoring either. We didn't know Gabby, Napheesa, Lou and Kia ( the Core 4 as Geno would later refer to them) would grab the bull by the horns, mature, and take over as team leaders. We didn't know anything, except that the season would begin on November 1. Do you have any other revelations you'd care to share at this time? :rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score
He has no post player. He graduated three of the most talented players ever to put on a Connecticut uniform. He has played six of the first nine games against teams ranked in the top 28 in the nation (K-State is now 28th in the AP poll). He played Notre Dame on the road and won; his team went to #7 Florida State and won. He started a freshman point guard against K-State, and had just one other player coming off the bench, yet beat an undefeated team.

And he's winning with everyone he plays against wanting to be the team to stop the winning streak.

Is this his finest coaching job ever?

For all the reasons you mentioned above, I didn't think Geno could pull this (9-0) off. It appears that we gave the other teams too much credit, and not enough to the Huskies.

Reaction Score

I enjoyed your post but you did say one thing I don't quite agree with. You said that every team knows that if they want to win the national championship, they've got to go through UConn and that's not quite accurate. A few years back, everyone was thinking that anyone who wanted to win the national championship would have to go through Baylor with Britney Griner and that included UConn but the Huskies didn't have to beat Baylor because Louisville upset them and there's no saying that same thing could POSSIBLY happen regarding UConn though I'm inclined to think it won't. Stranger things have happened and weren't there a number of teams that were expected to be in the Final Four last year (no. 1 seeds Notre Dame and South Carolina) and that failed to materialize. I'm still liking the possibility that the Huskies will be hoisting another trophy next April! Go Huskies!

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
...most UCONN fans will NOT be satisfied without a National Championship......also, throw in the "undefeated streak."

Sure. But I don't really think we will turn into monsters if the Huskies falter with either of these goals. I am fairly sure I won't empty my Ruger into my Samsung. What is surely true is that very lofty standards have been set by the program, and we have just bought in. As a result, UConn fans have a rather different definition of "reasonable expectations."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom