Is this for real? Patterson talking to ND? | The Boneyard

Is this for real? Patterson talking to ND?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-football...r-defensive-coordinator?ex_cid=espnapi_public

"Notre Dame still has a staff opening since offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Chuck Martin left last month to become head coach at Miami (Ohio). Finalists for that job reportedly include Buffalo head coach Jeff Quinn, UConn quarterbacks coach Don Patterson and current Irish outside receivers coach and interim offensive coordinator Mike Denbrock. "

Hard to believe this is true.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Why The Face?!

Hopefully that's just flat out BS

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Didn't Patterson say UConn was his last job? If he was a younger coach with a couple moves left in him, I could see him being interested in being ND QB coach. But I think UConn is the right fit for him now. He gets to mentor a young coach and I would imagine he has much more control of QBs under Diaco than he would with Kelly at ND. His name may be hanging out there from before Diaco hired him.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Didn't Patterson say UConn was his last job? If he was a younger coach with a couple moves left in him, I could see him being interested in being ND QB coach. But I think UConn is the right fit for him now. He gets to mentor a young coach and I would imagine he has much more control of QBs under Diaco than he would with Kelly at ND. His name may be hanging out there from before Diaco hired him.
I agree 100%.

I'm paraphrasing here, but Patterson told Jeff Quinn, "Bobby needs me more than you do." He should say the same to Brian Kelly. I don't think Patterson leaves Diaco at the altar here.

Reaction Score
Supposedly Kelly said he was "going to interview" the 3 names above plus former UM OC Al Borges Monday in Indy @ AFCA.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Anyone else feel this way about this thread and the director of player engagement thread?

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
maybe confused with our previous QB coach?

Shane Day?

Reaction Score
Nice of Brian Kelly to throw/leak the Patterson name into the mix to give the BD hire of him some juice:D
Source: Mike Denbrock to be Irish OC
http://espn.go.com/college-football...fensive-coordinator-notre-dame-fighting-irish

Kelly also said he's calling the offensive plays this year.

Even though ND named Denbrock as their OC, apparently Kelly is still looking for a QB coach...someone from outside no less.

From the same article referenced above:
"Kelly also said that he would make an outside hire to coach the quarterbacks."

This would be just too bizarre if it ever happened....even Patterson being mentioned as an interviewee is weird enough.

Reaction Score
Even though ND named Denbrock as their OC, apparently Kelly is still looking for a QB coach...someone from outside no less.

From the same article referenced above:
"Kelly also said that he would make an outside hire to coach the quarterbacks."

This would be just too bizarre if it ever happened....even Patterson being mentioned as an interviewee is weird enough.

I did see the comment on the QB Coach - thought the reference to Coach Don in the original article was about the OC position . I had gotten the sense they were looking somewhere else for QB Coach based on a tweet I saw this morning:

Rick Schutt ‏@RickSchuttWSBT9h
Raiders John DeFilippo, E. Carolina Lincoln Riley, Redskins Matt LaFluer interviewing for ND QB coach job #ndfootball

Weirder things have happened but he seemed all in on mentoring BD.

Reaction Score
I did see the comment on the QB Coach - thought the reference to Coach Don in the original article was about the OC position . I had gotten the sense they were looking somewhere else for QB Coach based on a tweet I saw this morning:

Rick Schutt ‏@RickSchuttWSBT9h
Raiders John DeFilippo, E. Carolina Lincoln Riley, Redskins Matt LaFluer interviewing for ND QB coach job #ndfootball

Weirder things have happened but he seemed all in on mentoring BD.

Hopefully you're right. Just seemed too coincidental that the position which Kelly is looking to fill, is the same one that Patterson just took with us. Even if it was about the OC position...it's still odd that Kelly would even be considering a coach that his former "protege", just hired. Makes you wonder if something has happened to the relationship between Kelly and Diaco. Aside from the early speculation that Diaco might have been considering hiring Elston away from ND to be his DC, could Diaco have approached one too many of ND's current recruits as far as Kelly is concerned?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
He stole her:

8024469.jpeg

Reaction Score
The ND OC position is perceived as better than the Buffalo HC position. We should be GLAD we got to enjoy the Big East. Beats out the MAC!

Reaction Score
I really hope this isn't true, I was looking forward to watching UConn football get DP'ed this coming fall!

Wait.... ...... that didn't come out right........

Reaction Score
Notre Dame approaching Patterson is a win/win for us. If he stays he can approach recruits having chosen us over Notre Dame. If he leaves he wasn't on board to begin with and we might as well see him gone two weeks in. If he stays it also means we probably won't have to worry about him leaving every year.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Stand down ;)

BGI_DanMurphy12:03pm via TweetDeck
Blue & Gold can confirm Matt LaFleur will be the new quarterbacks coach at #NotreDame

Whether he was actually a candidate or not... nice for the "industry" to see his name associated w/ quality programs.

LaFleur was QB coach w/ Redskins which created movement that led to Day being hired?

That is great news....I think Patterson might be Diaco's best hire. The answer to who will be the starting QB is not obvious...and I trust that Patterson will make the right call. (versus burning Boyle's redshirt without even trying Cochran)

Thanks for the follow up HM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger