Is this a Doyel apology? | The Boneyard

Is this a Doyel apology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
"
"Did Martelli really threaten to have O'Brien dropped from the last class he needed to graduate? And if so, when will you be firing Martelli?"
Those were blunt questions, but I've learned from my own missteps. Six years ago I asked UConn if I could speak with coach Jim Calhoun, and was told he wasn't available. UConn knew my topic, but didn't know my opinion. They found out when they read it, and later that season Calhoun requested a private audience with me after a game at Indiana. I should've let him know exactly what I was writing, he told me, because he'd have taken my call had he known I was writing that.
Lesson learned,?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...t-joes-vs-obrien-but-we-dont-know-whole-story

Reaction Score
wow. I always see hate for Doyel on this board for being anti Uconn but this is the first time ive read that article from 2005. That just blew my mind.

Reaction Score
Ugh, I can't believe I got sucked into a Doyel article. What was the point of that? He takes the high road when there is nothing at stake? I am really sure he would have a page view whore opinion if this was a top team from a big conference.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Let's be fair, nothing wrong with that Doyel article. He's right. But let's look at that positives. Check out that photo of JC in the old UConn article. That is more than just an unflattering photo, that is a photo of a coach is less than good health. Contrast that to JC this season. The man looks great. He's back to coaching his ass off. My favorite JC moment of last game was when TO botched a rebound. He immediately grabbed AO and sent him to scorers bench. A few minutes later without a whistle and TO goofs up again and JC starts looking for a replacement again before realizing that AO was still waiting to get in. Thought that was kinda funny.

Reaction Score
I don't know if it's an apology so much as a "I realized I may get less venom spewed on me if I say I learned from being a ".... whether he actually learned anything from writing the article about Calhoun is doubtful...

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I remember that.

One awful story, referenced in another awful story.

The reason we're not hearing Martelli's side of the story is because he's not telling it. Making public whatever bad thing O'Brien apparently did isn't worse than preventing him from playing. Clearly he pissed off Martelli and Martelli dug his heels in. Time to dig them out, Phil. You chose...poorly.

Reaction Score
He is a POS. End of story.

PE-TOOWEY! I spit on him.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I don't think it was an apology at all. Just a vailed threat: "Take my calls or I'll screw you over in my column"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom