Is this a Big East ready roster? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is this a Big East ready roster?

Reaction Score
Scoreboard.
This is called gaslighting folks, we've had #1 picks who never made the tournament...
If a player is not good enough to single-handedly carry his team to a tournament bid, then he shouldn't think about going pro. If there are two players looking to leave, they should get us to a Sweet 16 or they aren't good enough to play in the League.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
26 college players drafted in the first round in June, 4 were from teams that didn't make the NCAA Tournament.

Scoreboard.

Reaction Score
Unless we solve our point guard problem, it's going to more of the same. It does sound like Cole could be an upgrade for our back court.

Reaction Score
26 college players drafted in the first round in June, 4 were from teams that didn't make the NCAA Tournament.

Scoreboard.
You can't possibly be this dumb. I'll just assume you're playing a chud character.

Reaction Score
Who’s going to be the tough guy in the paint for this team? The difference between wins and losses for this current team is their getting bullied in the paint! Xavier game, Wichita St game are 2 examples

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun used to tell his guys that scouts were more impressed with guys who part of winning teams. Transcending talent on a bad team will get drafted. There are only a few of those guys who are heads and shoulders above everyone else. The key is not to just get drafted, there is significant money with each position of the draft and anything that can get you drafted higher is $$.

Reaction Score
The roster as currently constructed would finish in the bottom half of the BE next year.

If Gilbert leaves, as is expected, and another scholarship were to open up then we have an opportunity to add a lot of talent with a tandem like Cliff & Seth Towns.

We’re 2 guys away from being a true player in the BE. As much as I love them at times, if Polley and Carlton are starting for us next year we are not a top 5 BE team.

My hope is our starting line up is:
1. Cole
2. Bouk
3. Unknown - Towns?
4. Akok
5. Unknown - Cliff?

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I expect the pieces to fit together much better.

Gilbert is a great talent, but his game doesn't work well within the flow of the offense and his decision-making is hit or miss. Also, I suspect Hurley isn't really keen on a 5'10 guy heading up his aggressive trapping defense.

Vital also does several things well, but a lot of his shortcomings directly lead to losing games.

Cole, with sophomores Gaffney and Bouknight, should be a much more functional backcourt, even if the on-paper talent level isn't appreciably better.

We're also adding more skill on the wing in Jackson. Akok should have a more well defined role in the frontcourt.

If we add a big-time center, we're looking at:

Cole
Bouknight
Jackson
Akok
C

with Gaffney, Adams, Wilson, Polley, and Carlton off the bench.
That is a hell of a bench I tell you.

Reaction Score
We are not. We can give great effort but without better basketball skills it will lead to no road wins and dogfights at home. We need to recruit a point guard. It is a shame Gaffney could not have been redshirted.

Reaction Score
Cole, Bouk, Jackson, and Akok is going to be SCARY in transition.

PG: Cole, Gaffney
SG: Bouknight, Adams
SF: Jackson, Polley, Wilson
PF: Akok, Springs, Whaley
C: Carlton, Ferguson

scary in transition yes but also a scary-bad shooting team. AJ and Akok are the only above average defenders in the starting lineup to boot. But if we can swap out Carlton for Cliff then it becomes an elite defensive unit and even better in transition which could make up for a lot of the shooting woes

Reaction Score
What do we really know about Cole? Has he played any games against major comp?

Reaction Score
Maybe so but go back and re-read Nelson's post and you'll see how incredibly dumb and untrue his statement is.
I have read and re-read the post multiple times and the only conclusion that I can come to is that you have a problem with everything nelson says. Granted, some of his points can be a little hard to swallow, but if you look at them from a different perspective they are valid....although borderline crude. But that's just his opinion, just like you and I have ours.

Reaction Score
I have read and re-read the post multiple times and the only conclusion that I can come to is that you have a problem with everything nelson says. Granted, some of his points can be a little hard to swallow, but if you look at them from a different perspective they are valid....although borderline crude. But that's just his opinion, just like you and I have ours.
What are you having trouble with? The NBA recently has #1 picks in the NBA draft who never went to the tournament. Current NBA superstars who never went to the tournament. I'll ask again, how is his statement that "If a player is not good enough to single-handedly carry his team to a tournament bid, then he shouldn't think about going pro" in any way accurate?
If a player is not good enough to single-handedly carry his team to a tournament bid, then he shouldn't think about going pro. If there are two players looking to leave, they should get us to a Sweet 16 or they aren't good enough to play in the League.

Reaction Score
What do we really know about Cole? Has he played any games against major comp?

Vs. Indiana November 2017 (2nd game freshman season) -- 27 points, 8 assists. Struggled to finish inside but was 5-8 from behind the arc.
Vs. Gonzaga November 2017 -- 16 points, 4 assists. Did not shoot well.
Vs. USF November 2017 -- 17 points, 6 assists.
Vs. Georgetown December 2017 -- 17 points, 8 assists.

Vs. Georgetown December 2018 -- 27 points, 6 assists.
vs. Harvard January 2019 -- 21 points, 8 assists.

We're not getting Ja Morant. He's not an explosive athlete. Cole is crafty, deceptively quick and strong, has a very high basketball IQ and strong handle. Quick release on his jump shot and can create space for his shot but is a streaky shooter.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We'll be even better next year. Our best players will have a year under their belt, We have at least four players of promise coming in. We'll have better team chemistry next year.

Reaction Score
I think that they may play Akok at the 5 against certain teams next year, assuming he continues to bulk up this offseason.

This will certainly be true if a spot must be found for an improved Wilson. Yes, Jackson, Akok, Wilson across the front may not be always possible, but with Bouknight at the 2, it would be athletically off the charts, would be a blocking machine and, I think, would hold its own rebounding against most BE teams.

Reaction Score
Right now, no, but next year, they should be somewhere in the 6/7 range in the conference. Will miss Vital, but very excited about RJ Cole, especially since he is AG insurance. Bouknight and Akok keep improving, we'll have even more frontcourt with with Javonte Brown Ferguson and Springs, lots of depth even with Polley's ACL.

Big East teams that should be better:
  1. Nova: No seniors, no major NBA prospects, and a good incoming transfer with Caleb Daniels
  2. Georgetown: Shockingly, the team has seemed to play better after the recent exodus. Graduating seniors Allen and Mosely are good depth players, but not key cogs. Lots of spots next year for grad transfer stability.
  3. Creighton: Their only graduating senior is a grad transfer who was originally signed for depth purposes. Antwan Jones is a solid transfer too.
  4. Providence: After another weak season of guard play, Jared Bynum is a huge transfer.
Big East teams that hold steady:
  1. Xavier: Jones and Goodin graduate, but Marshall/Carter/Scruggs will be seniors and they have a great '20 class.
Big East teams that should not be as good:
  1. Butler: Baldwin/McDermott/Smits graduate big blow, but great '20 class.
  2. Marquette: Excellent '20 class, but lose an all-time great in Marcus Howard.
  3. DePaul: Heard Paul Reed has NBA aspirations and Coleman-Lands graduates. Only incoming player is an unranked recruit.
  4. St. John's: Posh Alexander is a good recruit, but Heron graduates and not sure if Figueroa will stick around.
You left off seton hall who will probably take a decent sized step back without powell next year.
Big East probably won't be as strong top to bottom next year.
Providence loses Alpha Diallo, which will be a huge loss.
If the only thing X loses is Jones and Goodin, we might actually be improved next year. we'd be playing with 3/4 top 25 recruiting classes. I hope that's the case, but my baseline assumption is that atleast one of marshall/scruggs will be gone next year either to the nba or overseas, and possibly both. if that happens we'll be in for a rough time.
Nova will be all the way back to being nova next year. that team will be filthy and creighton could be a bonafide top ten team as well.

tldr: big east will be slightly down next year. uconn has a good chance to finish in the middle of the pack.

Reaction Score
If they are here in this league, I cannot see them being in the middle of the pack in the Big East. I really hope I’m wrong!

Attachments

• 013F41F8-6D92-415E-A266-0AB39F5176D8.png
    013F41F8-6D92-415E-A266-0AB39F5176D8.png
    858.8 KB · Views: 117

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member