Is there enough on the schedule? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is there enough on the schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
seriously? you cite our disappointing seasons and then say we're destined to fail because of those seasons? and then you mock our recruiting despite having one of the most successful programs in the country?

in 2008 AJ tore his ACL, if Boat does likewise we're doomed

not one other of those teams that were not selected for the dance had an upper-class PG, not one. Two of those teams had chemistry / leadership issues.

but there was one team in that frame that had an upper-class experienced point guard and bunch of puppies yet you choose not to cite that team? why is that? could it be because they won conference and national championships? it doesn't fit well into your narrative? The 2013 team would fit my narrative as well, having an experienced upper-class PG and exceeding expectations.

and in that 8 season time frame you're referencing, where we've had 5 appearances (5 out of 7 really sans the ban), 3 final fours, 2 national championships and an NCAA record of 16-3, you find it appropriate to mock our coaching staff?

not sure what to say other than to suggest I hope you're just kidding and I missed your inherent sarcasm.

I think he's saying that we're extremely inconsistent for a self-proclaimed Blue Blood. His error was including 2008 in that discussion, where our first round exit was more a function of luck or circumstance.

Overall, the fact is we're at risk of heading towards another ho-hum regular season out of the spotlight, which we can ill afford given our conference situation (recent championship or otherwise). We haven't had a truly dominant season end to end -- the kind of season befitting a national power, and one that garners sustained media/recruit interest -- since 2009. One could argue that the future health of our program is dependent more on consistent, sustained dominance, than with a few spirited Tournament runs that, while incredible to experience, don't hold people's (recruits') attention over the long run.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I think he's saying that we're extremely inconsistent for a self-proclaimed Blue Blood. His error was including 2008 in that discussion, where our first round exit was more a function of luck or circumstance.

Overall, the fact is we're at risk of heading towards another ho-hum regular season out of the spotlight, which we can ill afford given our conference situation (recent championship or otherwise). We haven't had a truly dominant season end to end -- the kind of season befitting a national power, and one that garners sustained media/recruit interest -- since 2009. One could argue that the future health of our program is dependent more on consistent, sustained dominance, than with a few spirited Tournament runs that, while incredible to experience, don't hold people's (recruits') attention over the long run.
You make this "out of the spotlight" argument constantly. We won the national championship this calendar year. This argument has zero merit. If you think recruits or anyone else pay as much attention in November as March, you're wrong.

Reaction Score
SMU @ Michigan on Dec 20th
Cinci vs SDST on Dec 17th
Memphis vs OK St Dec 13th, Memphis @ Gonzaga Jan 31st

All big time games for the conference. Going 2-2 in those would be great...

Reaction Score
It would be funny if our opponents message boards were stressing about our two recent losses and the impact on their own SOS and making the Tourney.

Be even funnier if the fans are conference foes. I assumed those AAC fans would be panicking much worse than some of us are.

Reaction Score
We haven't had a truly dominant season end to end -- the kind of season befitting a national power, and one that garners sustained media/recruit interest -- since 2009. One could argue that the future health of our program is dependent more on consistent, sustained dominance, than with a few spirited Tournament runs that, while incredible to experience, don't hold people's (recruits') attention over the long run.

And...you'd trade our success since 2009 with which program exactly?

By the way, the 2011 national championship resulted in a top-5 recruiting class that helped us win the next national championship. It's silly to say that what we've done in the past five years isn't holding the attention of recruits. If you're disappointed in our recruiting over that period, point the finger at recent coaching uncertainty, a postseason ban, and conference realignment. It certainly isn't because we lost in the first round in 2012.

Reaction Score
But we are in a poor conference and could need to win the AAC tourney to get into the NCAA. RPI might end up absolutely awful after the conference schedule.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Who cares about an end to end dominant season??????????
Do you think Wichita State would rather be 31-0 and not end up as National Champion or 24-7 and be National Champion?
What is a season befitting of a National Champion? With early exits, injuries, graduations, transfers etc. very few if any can have "elite" seasons consistantly.
A few spirited tournament runs????? I'll take as many of those as you can give me. The goal is to be last team standing - it's not a beauty contest.
Why be such a 1/2 glass empty guy - your posting here mirrors your chat contributions.
I am proud to be a fan of a team that has 4 National Championships in the past 15 years and until anyone can show me another program with that success, I will say we are the premier program in the country at this point.
As far as holding reruits attention - they just need look at who we have sent to the league vs what Cuse, Duke, MSU, IU,etc. has done for their players.

Reaction Score
We have two losses to teams that will be top 25 by the end of the season (WVU and Texas), so not bad at all. We have a win over Dayton who will be a tournament team. Stanford is a must win and we need 1 win between Duke and Florida. Lastly finish 1st in the AAC and this team will be okay. I predict us to be between a 5-7 seed this year.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think he's saying that we're extremely inconsistent for a self-proclaimed Blue Blood. ...One could argue that the future health of our program is dependent more on consistent, sustained dominance, than with a few spirited Tournament runs that, while incredible to experience, don't hold people's (recruits') attention over the long run.
Really? Four National Championships (and five Final Fours) in 15 years qualifies as "extremely inconsistent" and "a few spirited Tournament runs"?

Any Blue Blood--self-proclaimed or otherwise--and every other Division 1 school would kill for that type of inconsistency.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
By this standard, the only consistent blue bloods are Duke and Kansas. A lot of wins and high seeds nearly every year. Kentucky? They lost in the first round of the NIT two years ago. UNC? They're all over the place. UCLA and Indiana? Funny.
And nice to discount two titles by calling them "spirited tournament runs."

Reaction Score
By this standard, the only consistent blue bloods are Duke and Kansas. A lot of wins and high seeds nearly every year. Kentucky? They lost in the first round of the NIT two years ago. UNC? They're all over the place. UCLA and Indiana? Funny.

Exactly. Don't forget that Kentucky was an 8 seed last year.

Butler had some spirited tournament runs.

Reaction Score
It might have been beneficial to have a couple of the p5 games sprinkled later into our schedule when we have had a chance to improve which I think we will, but we needed those games whenever. Let's just beat Duke and stop all this talk about schedule.

Reaction Score
It might have been beneficial to have a couple of the p5 games sprinkled later into our schedule when we have had a chance to improve which I think we will, but we needed those games whenever. Let's just beat Duke and stop all this talk about schedule.

We do have that to an extent. Two of our non-conference games come after conference play begins.

Although it sometimes happens, it's really hard to schedule non-conference games in February. You have to work with both respective conferences to give the teams an open date in the heart of conference play. Not easy to do.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Based on Dukes tournament record the past few years, I wouldn't call them consistent - Kansas, maybe

Reaction Score
If SMU continues to play as bad as they've played we're going to have serious problems come selection day. They were expected to be 2 - 3 more top 25 games for us and if they fall off like this we have SERIOUS problems. I just don't see the AAC getting more than 1 - 2 bids max. That's a problem if we don't win our OOC games. Plain and simple… we have to go 2 - 1 against Duke, Stanford and Florida. Going 1 - 2 isn't going to cut it. Hopefully someone else can step up in the AAC… Cincy, Temple maybe? Someone else has to fill that void or what does it matter at the end of the season if you have 25 wins against top 100+ competition? We got hammered last year for our schedule, i can't imagine what's going to happen this year.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
If SMU continues to play as bad as they've played we're going to have serious problems come selection day. They were expected to be 2 - 3 more top 25 games for us and if they fall off like this we have SERIOUS problems. I just don't see the AAC getting more than 1 - 2 bids max. That's a problem if we don't win our OOC games. Plain and simple… we have to go 2 - 1 against Duke, Stanford and Florida. Going 1 - 2 isn't going to cut it. Hopefully someone else can step up in the AAC… Cincy, Temple maybe? Someone else has to fill that void or what does it matter at the end of the season if you have 25 wins against top 100+ competition? We got hammered last year for our schedule, i can't imagine what's going to happen this year.

i'll be shocked if we lose more than 2 games in conference. we'll win at least 25 games.
they are not going to leave out the defending national Champs if they have 25 Wins.
Calm yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC