Is there enough on the schedule? | The Boneyard

Is there enough on the schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There is literally 1 more opportunity for a top 25 win. Could we be a bubble team come March? SMU has proven to be terrible as has Florida. We really needed that Texas win. Besides Duke there is nothing left to single out. This conference is utterly abysmal and as it is shaping up… will be the worst schedule in our history. AAC is legit a 1 bid league. I could see us missing the tournament with 23-24 wins.

Reaction Score
We are 5 games and a month into the season. Impossible to answer this. Is it a concern? Yes. That is why yesterday stings so bad, because it was a wonderful opporunity. Duke will be another one in a couple of weeks. Hopefully we are healthy by then.

Florida and Stanford are off to rough starts, but Florida is in a similar situation where they are really banged up. A win over them will look better at the end of the year than it does right now, assuming we can win on the road. Stanford could be the same.

As for the American...it looks bleak now. But I still believe when SMU gets whole that they will be a tournament team. Could play them 3 times. Memphis and Cincy are both young teams like us. They could gel in the 2nd half.

I think if we get to 24 or 25 wins, we will be in the tournament. People forget what the bubble has looked like the last couple of years. It has been bad, and will be again this year. I think what hurts us in the long run is seeding.

Reaction Score
I hope some of these teams turn it around. It wouldn't shock me at this point if we go 25-7 and miss the tournament. Thats how truly terrible our schedule is at the moment.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
This conference, this year is a nightmare thus far. No ranked teams. Teams that are probably better than their record, like SMU and Temple. We haven't even played a true road game yet. We really needed that Texas win. Its going to be an uphill battle for us from here on out. Luckily the AAC tourney is in Hartford and we should be a hell of a lot better by then.

Reaction Score
I hope some of these teams turn it around. It wouldn't shock me at this point if we go 25-7 and miss the tournament. Thats how truly terrible our schedule is at the moment.

No way we get to 25 wins and miss the tourney I don"t care what the RPI is. I think if we get 23, we get in even if we don't beat any of Florida, Duke or Stanford. We are UConn

Reaction Score
No way we get to 25 wins and miss the tourney I don"t care what the RPI is. I think if we get 23, we get in even if we don't beat any of Florida, Duke or Stanford. We are UConn

I think for that very reason we could miss the tourney if we win 25 and don't beat any ranked teams. Have you seen the teams on our schedule??

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
There is literally 1 more opportunity for a top 25 win. Could we be a bubble team come March? SMU has proven to be terrible as has Florida. We really needed that Texas win. Besides Duke there is nothing left to single out. This conference is utterly abysmal and as it is shaping up… will be the worst schedule in our history. AAC is legit a 1 bid league. I could see us missing the tournament with 23-24 wins.
This!! This is exactly what we need right now!!.................................

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
They are the Defending National Champs.
There really should be an automatic Bid for the Defending Champs.

either way, They will win 25 games and get in.

Reaction Score
yard is so short sighted

what good is getting into tourney with 1 rail sled team, only to lose in game uno?

this is real issue:
2007: 17-14, no postseason invite
2008: 24-9, lose in rd 1 ncaa to san diego
2010: 18-16, lose in rd 1 NIT to va tech
2012: 20-14, lose rd 1 ncaa to iowa state
2013: 20-10, banned from post season
2015: just not lookin good with roster loaded with 1 trick puppies

the alpha predator bluest blue blood program among all the blue bloods is bluntly feast or famine

Why? since coaching is always at highest level it be recrootin or lack there of

Reaction Score
synopsis:

I. last 6 yrs JC regime (the beginning of the end of consecutive years of excellence on basketball court)
a) 4 large failures, 2 mega achievements (09 final IV, '11 world title)
b) 1 medium failure from his APR supervision passed on to Olliewood in guise of 2013 post season ban
c) 1 large success by leaving cupboard nicely stocked for next regime (bazz, deandre,gif) to form basis for a third mega achievement ('14 world title)

II. first 3 yrs Olliewood regime
a) 1 huge mega achievement ('14 world title)
b) excellent filler yr of 2013 "postseason ban campaign" which could go as JC failure since it happened as result of his APR supervision
c) looking bleak for 2015 campaign due to roster loaded with 1 dimensional hoopsters and graduation of three key multiskillset gents from JC era

conclusion: recruiting needs mega infusion with rapidity; appears only hope is scouring international scene or juco ranks or grad student ranks with 1 year eligibility (kromah, evans type talent) since recent high school efforts have yielded minimal return on staff investment

Reaction Score
Why, is the goal to be 0-X against P5 teams?? Duke is a big L, UF will be difficult and Stanford at Maples is not easy. Best case we go 2-3, worst case 0-5, likely 1-4 (being generous).

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
yard is so short sighted

what good is getting into tourney with 1 rail sled team, only to lose in game uno?

this is real issue:
2007: 17-14, no postseason invite
2008: 24-9, lose in rd 1 ncaa to san diego
2010: 18-16, lose in rd 1 NIT to va tech
2012: 20-14, lose rd 1 ncaa to iowa state
2013: 20-10, banned from post season
2015: just not lookin good with roster loaded with 1 trick puppies

the alpha predator bluest blue blood program among all the blue bloods is bluntly feast or famine

Why? since coaching is always at highest level it be recrootin or lack there of

seriously? you cite our disappointing seasons and then say we're destined to fail because of those seasons? and then you mock our recruiting despite having one of the most successful programs in the country?

in 2008 AJ tore his ACL, if Boat does likewise we're doomed

not one other of those teams that were not selected for the dance had an upper-class PG, not one. Two of those teams had chemistry / leadership issues.

but there was one team in that frame that had an upper-class experienced point guard and bunch of puppies yet you choose not to cite that team? why is that? could it be because they won conference and national championships? it doesn't fit well into your narrative? The 2013 team would fit my narrative as well, having an experienced upper-class PG and exceeding expectations.

and in that 8 season time frame you're referencing, where we've had 5 appearances (5 out of 7 really sans the ban), 3 final fours, 2 national championships and an NCAA record of 16-3, you find it appropriate to mock our coaching staff?

not sure what to say other than to suggest I hope you're just kidding and I missed your inherent sarcasm.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
As of today UConn is not in the NCAA Tourney, primarily because its the 1st week of December.

So if that 3 point shot with two seconds left doesn't go in, we're an at large lock with a Sweet Sixteen seed. But the top ten team does make that shot, so we're on the bubble

Can you imagine this if that was the reality on Selection Sunday? From at large lock to bubble? because you lost to a 2/3 seed at the buzzer?

Can only happen a few games in, and only on message boards

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Playing a ranked team in conference looks like a fantasy at this point. I would settle for a Top 50 game or 2 in the AAC.

Reaction Score
At the end of the year, Florida is not going to be "terrible" and I don't think Stanford will be either. Winning either of those games on the road will end up looking good on Selection Sunday. The league is putrid right now but I still think there will be opportunities (hopefully 4-6 opportunities rather than 2-4 opportunities) to pick up top 50 wins in conference.

It's been an inauspicious start to the season all around for both the conference and Uconn (although there'd be a very different tone here if Holmes had missed that shot). However, there is no scenario where we win 25 games and miss the tournament. None.

Avoiding the bad losses and actually getting to 24-25 wins is the more pressing concern. Even last year's group took a bad loss at Houston and won a nail biter at USF. If we don't get the offense figured out in time there will still be plenty of conference games, and not just the ones against SMU, that come down to the wire where a bad call here or a lucky shot there could result in an ugly loss.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Let's just say that the potential for bad losses to teams that could happen in AAC play coupled with us potentially not having any OOC signature wins is what is scary.

AAC play will present us with more bad opportunity than good opportunity in terms of building a resume. Let's say we lose to Duke and only win one of either Florida or Stanford then I won't feel safe on Selection Sunday unless we win the AAC tourney.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
memphis did it with calipari, play a hard OOC schedule and run through your conference... not saying we will run through the conference but continually playing a hard OOC schedule will help us tremendously... it has happened before that a good team in decent conference continually made the tourney... this is a big change for everyone especially the team after losing Bazz, Giff, DD, TO, Kromah, we're a young inexperienced team who hasn't had a full healthy squad yet... It would be nice if UConn is still actively trying hard to get into the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, or Big East, but as of now we need to make due with what we have with the conference and not bltch and moan every single day...

Reaction Score
OOC games are - or should - be our tourney. Wins against Central Florida, Houston, Tulane and East Carolina are just wins in a crappy conference. Gotta beat the big boys when you have the chance. So far 0-2 (West Virginia & Texas).

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Not really sure why everyone is giving up on SMU. Florida will be fine. And Stanford will go down as the best team to lose to DePaul in the last two decades. We just have to win some of those games.

D

Deleted member 3149

Joe Lunardi has us as at #21 on the S-curve as of this morning, meaning we are essentially a 5 seed if the tournament selection were today. Not sure why people are panicking just yet. Our losses were to two very complete teams. Beating Duke is a huge opportunity, along with Florida and Stanford. Additionally, the Dayton victory will look better and better each day. If we won it all as a 7 seed last year, I'll be perfectly happy as a 5 with the way we've been playing.

Reaction Score
I think for that very reason we could miss the tourney if we win 25 and don't beat any ranked teams. Have you seen the teams on our schedule??

You're on drugs. We're not missing the tourney with 25 wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom