Is there APR rules in college football? | The Boneyard

Is there APR rules in college football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just wondering. How can a Boise witha 6% 4-year graduation rate remain bowl eligible? Are bowls not regulated by the NCAA? Who in the sEC would remain eligible if such rules existed? I don't know the answers, just throwing it out there.

Reaction Score
Yes, APR for football. Boise State's grad rate is for the entire school, not just student-athletes. Boise's apr for its football team is quite high.

Maybe the NCAA should restrict schools who don't graduate their general student populatiion? Watch the excuses fly there..."the school's mission is different" "nontraditional students" "economic hardship", etc.

Just wondering. How can a Boise witha 6% 4-year graduation rate remain bowl eligible? Are bowls not regulated by the NCAA? Who in the sEC would remain eligible if such rules existed? I don't know the answers, just throwing it out there.

Reaction Score
Yes there is an APR for football and Boise's is solid. I'm not sure what the general student body APR has to do with those of athletic teams, though. I believe that UCONN has a number of athletic teams which have grad rates that are significantly higher than the general student body's. Basketball obvioulsy isn't one of them.

Reaction Score
Yes there is an APR for football and Boise's is solid. I'm not sure what the general student body APR has to do with those of athletic teams, though. I believe that UCONN has a number of athletic teams which have grad rates that are significantly higher than the general student body's. Basketball obvioulsy isn't one of them.

APR for football is like saying the BCS is designed to promote the student athlete. Give me a break.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yes, APR for football. Boise State's grad rate is for the entire school, not just student-athletes. Boise's apr for its football team is quite high.

Maybe the NCAA should restrict schools who don't graduate their general student populatiion? Watch the excuses fly there..."the school's mission is different" "nontraditional students" "economic hardship", etc.

And Boise's excessive discrepancy between the general student body and the football team doesn't create a red flag for anyone?

Reaction Score
fleudsipcon,

Actually it doesn't necessarily create a red flag. Boise is much closer to places like Central Connecticut with a really really good football team. and note that Central's 4 year grad rate is something like 13%. It is a function of the makeup of the students as much as anything else. Lots of people who start, leave for a while, return after a semester or a year or maybe never. I think their 6 year rate is somewhere around 42% while Bosie's is much lower, like 28%. Just for comparison, though, UCONN's is 78% for the general student body. For football it is 77%, and for the overall athletic program it is 83% But if you look at Boise's football team it is around 65%, which is close to the NCAA 1A average. Why might that be? In part, it has to do with motivation. Athletes are both encouraged to remain eligible and know they need to keep on track to continue both to play and maintain their scholarships. Part of it is that football players have access to assitance that the general student body doesn't have, partly it probably has to do with finacial aid. A player at Bosie gets his tuition paid. A general student has to scamble to get the money to pay tuition.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
fleudsipcon,

Actually it doesn't necessarily create a red flag. Boise is much closer to places like Central Connecticut with a really really good football team. and note that Central's 4 year grad rate is something like 13%. It is a function of the makeup of the students as much as anything else. Lots of people who start, leave for a while, return after a semester or a year or maybe never. I think their 6 year rate is somewhere around 42% while Bosie's is much lower, like 28%. Just for comparison, though, UCONN's is 78% for the general student body. For football it is 77%, and for the overall athletic program it is 83% But if you look at Boise's football team it is around 65%, which is close to the NCAA 1A average. Why might that be? In part, it has to do with motivation. Athletes are both encouraged to remain eligible and know they need to keep on track to continue both to play and maintain their scholarships. Part of it is that football players have access to assitance that the general student body doesn't have, partly it probably has to do with finacial aid. A player at Bosie gets his tuition paid. A general student has to scamble to get the money to pay tuition.

I considered the motivation factor for the student athlete when I made my post. I'm glad you detailed it. I agree this is the legitimate basis for the discrepancy between the Boise football program and the general student body.

Just consider me cynical, but what is the motivation on the part of Boise to put in all this effort to keep the football players around? It costs a lot of money between scholarships, tutors, recruiting, equipment, travel, coaches and support to the coaches. Why are these students getting significantly more attention and monies than the general student body? The obvious answer is $$. Boise doesn't appear to be concerned about parlaying the football success into improving the academic profile of the university. A good academic institution would have significantly higher six year graduation rates than 28%.

If the football program is structured primarily for monetary profits, independent of the supposed primary purpose of the university which is education, what are the disincentives to cheating. I still feel there is a red flag with this school and for that matter most of the other Division I athletic programs for major sports.

Reaction Score
Simple. Its not about "money". I bet Boise St.'s athletic department is barely profitable, if at all, and most likely they aren't. Their athletic department is both advertising and a draw for incoming students. The quality of a university is directly related to the quality of incoming students. If you don't get top students, its pretty hard to justify charging top dollar for admission. Boise St football raises the profile of their school, making them more attractive. Better students apply, improving their academic profile and they can charge more.

Maybe it is about money, ultimately, but not from football, from admissions overall.

And it is not surprising at all that their overall graduation rate is low(er). In the overall population it is simply assumed that your academic progress is your own responsibility. You're the one with a vested interest in the value of your investment. The opposite is true in the athletic dept. It is they who have the vested interest in maintaining the value of their investment in their scholarship player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom