Is There Anyone Who Can Critique Coach A's Job Performance? | The Boneyard

Is There Anyone Who Can Critique Coach A's Job Performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Last spring, I suggested that if the BY doesn't critique Coach A, then who does?

In my mind, I felt that it was the responsibility of the AD. But, I suspect that the former AD either had too much respect for or he was too close to Coach A to be an effective supervisor.

Is it possible that the interim AD could share some of our concerns about Coach A being too stubborn and rigid in high pressure games.

IMHO, he has been outcoached in two recent high pressure games. And, ironically, both games involved his failure to utilize HB in situations where she should/would have been most effective.

1) in the FF-ND, IMO, HB could have been effective in blocking the lane thus hindering, if not stopping, SD from penetrating so effectively.

2) in the 2nd half of last nights game, failing to start the 5 players who gave us the 6 point half-time lead.

And 3) in the 2nd half in last night game, for whatever reasons, he didn't adjust to Baylor guarding KML differently that they had in the 1st half.

Peace,

John Fryer

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I suspect that Geno would be a harder critic of his own work than anyone else. If it is like most programs the coaching staff sits down together after the game and as they watch "film" they criticize the game plan and all aspects of execution including players and staff.

Reaction Score
Sure, anyone can criticize the coach. I don't particularly enjoy the oft-heard retort: "Geno has won; you haven't; so shut up." Comment & criticism are part of what boards like these are for.

That said, if you want to criticize the coach, be prepared for those who want to defend him, and with good reason.

I would hope an AD would not criticize a coach in any sport for how he or she handles particular game situations. I think you can comment on overall program success or achieving the desired results (whatever those are), but to armchair quarterback specific decisions seems like a terrible management style for an AD.

The AD should be concerned with:
- is the program clean?
- does it run well?
- is it well respected?
- does it represent the university well?
- are they successful?

Reaction Score
I may be Geno's biggest fan but even I know he makes mistakes and his human. He is wise enough to know that about himself and, if he forgets, his wife and daughter will remind him. He will learn from any mistakes and will always be the best coach in the country. So it is fair to ask if he made a mistake but be intelligent about it because lots of people here know how good the guy is and won't suffer fools lightly. That's how I see it.....

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Geno's tie did not look right yesterday ... even before the game, the knot was wrong and it was not snugly around his neck.

Reaction Score
I thought he should have played Heather against Stanford.

But last night he made a rational decision. He chose offense over defense, and you needed Dolson in to score. When he tried Heather, Griner still scored on her.

IMO, when he should have put Heather in, was when the Huskies were up by 10, because we wouldn't have needed to score as much, and whatever points Hartley could scrounge up would have probably sufficed. But I can also understand not going away from something that was working.

Also, if Caroline was playing well, he might have been able to use Buck more in the second when we needed scoring too. On offense, we weren't playing 4 on 5 with Heather in, we were playing 3 on 5 because Kelly isn't going to score much, either. If Caroline had been playing well, we probably could have played Buck more, and not had to worry about dragging Griner out to the three point line with Dolson.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Sure, anyone can do that. All you need is the chutzpah to really believe that you might know more about basketball, and about coaching that coach's team than he does himself. That would be a very tall order for me, but for some, not so much. Some may find that sort of indulgence interesting; others may find it presumptuous and boring to the max. Matter of personal taste.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Most ADs know nothing about athletics, per se, certainly not coaching.

I can't imagine that he, nor any other coach, hasn't heard a variety of criticisms. They might agree or disagree with them. they might be able to do something about them, even.

Geno is not unaware of his choices, nor the impact of them (see Maya/F-4). But, whatever they are, I'm sure they're as carefully thought out as possible -- considering the time and moment, and if thinking is allowed. After games, I'm guessing that the best conversations happen between him, CD, Shea and MM.

In the end, perfection is all but unattainable -- unless, of course, you're the current UConn coach and have fabulous talent.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think anybody can criticisize Geno. He's an extremely well-compensated, visible figure; it comes with the territory.

That being said, there's not a coach in the country with a more secure job. And for extremely good reason.

Reaction Score
Sure, anyone can criticize the coach. I don't particularly enjoy the oft-heard retort: "Geno has won; you haven't; so shut up." Comment & criticism are part of what boards like these are for.

That said, if you want to criticize the coach, be prepared for those who want to defend him, and with good reason.

I would hope an AD would not criticize a coach in any sport for how he or she handles particular game situations. I think you can comment on overall program success or achieving the desired results (whatever those are), but to armchair quarterback specific decisions seems like a terrible management style for an AD.

- is the program clean?
- does it run well?
- is it well respected?
- are they successful?
I completely agree with your response! Speedo ya gotta admit a few of the responses sound as if we have a coach who is on the verge of needed to be lectured:confused::rolleyes: I have no problem with anyone questioning a coaching decision, Though very few have the qualifications,experience,Hall of Fame Status,Staff which includes CDsr,to suggest an AD or anyone associated with CT to comment is IMHO absurd. I love to be friendly ,make friends,comment with others on this board,hopefully, add something to the board,have conversations re BB,banter! The John Beluhread was mine and obviousely went over the heads of some!

Reaction Score
Last spring, I suggested that if the BY doesn't critique Coach A, then who does?

In my mind, I felt that it was the responsibility of the AD. But, I suspect that the former AD either had too much respect for or he was too close to Coach A to be an effective supervisor.

Is it possible that the interim AD could share some of our concerns about Coach A being too stubborn and rigid in high pressure games.

IMHO, he has been outcoached in two recent high pressure games. And, ironically, both games involved his failure to utilize HB in situations where she should/would have been most effective.

1) in the FF-ND, IMO, HB could have been effective in blocking the lane thus hindering, if not stopping, SD from penetrating so effectively.

2) in the 2nd half of last nights game, failing to start the 5 players who gave us the 6 point half-time lead.

And 3) in the 2nd half in last night game, for whatever reasons, he didn't adjust to Baylor guarding KML differently that they had in the 1st half.

Peace,

John Fryer
John! I would be happy to have a conversation with you! IMHO you are entitled to your opinion. IMHO,your response is way over the top!
Peace

Reaction Score
Regarding all the comments about needing offense and not having it with Buck in, consider this. Buck is on the bench in the first half and we go down 7. Buck comes in and we finish the half up 6. The reason was that the minute Buck came in and shut down Griner, Baylor was flustered and did not know what to do. I think that Geno was quoted somewhere as having said this game would be decided on offense, so he played that way. It wasn't. It was decided on defense and we did not have our best defender in the game against Griner. For all her offense, Dolson was 1-4 for 2 points and 4 rebounds in the second half.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score

Peace,

John Fryer

I would suggest that Geno is his own harshest critic. The thought that the AD should critique game time performance by the coach is absolutely laughable. Read Pendergast's bio - he's a fundraiser and overall university program overseer and no more qualified to critique Geno's (or any coach's for that matter) gametime performance than you or I. You and I can certainly critique Geno's performance, but that doesn't mean we're qualified to do so !

Considering that Geno is the most successful WCBB coach since 1995 there are very few individuals "qualified" to critique his performance. Why not ask those who have winning records vs. UCONN since 1995 ?

+1 to vowelguy

- is the program clean?
- does it run well?
- is it well respected?
- are they successful?

Reaction Score
There is not a single person on this board capable of effectively crtiquing Geno. You can complain, whine, expound, pout, etc. But no one on this board is in Geno class to effectively critique him. Total arrogance to think or believe otherwise. His credentials and results massively dwarf any board member.

IMHO, he has been outcoached in two recent high pressure games.
IMHO? Really? I doubt that very much. More like IMHE, "In My Huge Ego."

Reaction Score
But no one on this board is in Geno class to effectively critique him. Total arrogance to think or believe otherwise. His credentials and results massively dwarf any board member.

If that's the criteria, then no one should be criticizing the coaching of PHS, GG, Hatchell, CVS, McCallie, Foster, Landers, or pretty much any other college coach. Unless we've got some lurkers who secretly have achieved great success at D-I WCBB coaching, NO ONE on this board is anyone near their class.

Reaction Score

Peace,

John Fryer

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. I just think you are being overly harsh.

My opinion is that, with a record of 190 - 9 (95% winning percentage) since 2006, Geno has made a lot of very good decisions and did an awful lot of his own "out coaching" in a great many high pressure games. We can't win them all, no matter how badly we may want it.

I also disagree with you that this was a high pressure game. It was an out of conference game, which in the end, counts for nothing except perhaps a drop in rankings. It doesn't impact a conference championship. It isn't for a conference tournament championship. It isn't for a national championship. In my mind, those are the only real high pressure games. The rest are just games, and losing is part of the game. Yes, UConn doesn't lose very often. Maybe that is why it is so hard for some of us to accept it and move on.

Knowing now that Heather was injured, enough that she will be held out of Wednesday's game, are you still so certain he should have played her in the second half and risk further injury? Knowing "the rest of the story" and the information Geno had that we did not, I think his decision was, in fact, the correct one to make.

Geno makes mistakes, he isn't perfect. We all do. And that isn't necessarily a bad thing, or something to be "punished".

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Critiquing is FUN ! That's what message boards are for ! Are the critiquers qualified to critique cogently and effectively ? Not so much. And on a related but side note - the expert commentator VanGundy last night - There's a reason he's a FORMER head coach !

Reaction Score
He tried Heather again in the 2nd half without success. And Baylor shut down KML. So maybe Geno was outcoached in this one.
Baylor adjusted in the half; we didn't.
So I'm sure Geno would do things a little different in 20/20 hindsight.
But even the best is not the best every night.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Since Heather is now out Weds. criticizing Geno for not using her in the 2nd half is rather suspect.

Reaction Score

Peace,

John Fryer

John I not only think the Assistant AD and/or AD should criticize Geno for his performance but they probably should fire him for losing this game. This is the 4th game he has lost in the last four years.

Maybe the conditions for him not getting fired is that he has a direct line to you so you can tell him what moves he should make in future.

Get Real!!!!

Reaction Score
I can't believe that Geno tripped his guards 3 times in a row so that Baylor could steal the ball. I also am angry that he tapped Steph's elbow twice to prevent her from making those short jumpers she usually nails.

Geno does his best work between games. I bet we win by 10+ if they meet again.
The old master will have a good game plan ready.

Reaction Score
My two cents. 1, Geno (and CD) is a superb game coach. The record speaks for itself. 2. Fans do not know what's happening during the game. I read this afternoon that Buck hurt her wrist, which could certainly affect his substitution pattern. 3. Fans do not know what happens during practice. We don't know who has looked good lately, or who hasn't shown much to the coaches, and both certainly affect who gets on the floor.

Geno was forthright about not believing his team was among the very best in WBB this season. Nevertheless, they came into the game ranked @ #2 and gave Baylor all they wanted.

Does Geno make mistakes? Who doesn't? But there not a coach in WBB that I would rather have on the sidelines in a big game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom