Is there any chance of convincing Syracuse and Pitt to come back? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is there any chance of convincing Syracuse and Pitt to come back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They are not locked into that 10 years if new schools are added, which is what happened. There is no fathomable way that the Big East with a bunch of Conference USA schools will garner a higher TV contract than the ACC. It's just not happening. Get your head out of the clouds. With Boise, it could be a bit closer, but it won't be higher.

SubbaDub - Sure, SU and Pitt would come back under that scenario. Problem is, that scenario is not going to happen. We may as well invite Texas and Michigan to join as well.

I think you need to research that. They are locked into an exclusive contract with ESPN. ESPN decides how much to increase it by and the ACC has to take the offer. If the ACC doesn't like it it goes to arbitration where ESPN will likely win because the contract is on their side. An article I linked to a few days ago indicated it was expected to go up by about $2m per school per year.

Reaction Score
I agree businesslawyer, UConn and Pitt and Syracuse will never be in the same conference again, ever. There is no point in planning or even hoping for such an eventuality.

I said that? I think it's more likely than not that we'll be committed to joining them by the time they actually leave. Refresh my memory please sir.

But we won't be together again in the Big EAst.

Reaction Score
you forgot one more condition...

6. On the eve of the BET and BE FB Championship, all schools will offer Pitt and Syracuse our fair share of virgins and gold (Rutgers and Seton Hall will file for hardship and will only supply gold), and we will all bow and say, "Hail Pitt and Syracuse! Thank you for coming back!"
Note: This is only effective from 2012-2015

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I said that? I think it's more likely than not that we'll be committed to joining them by the time they actually leave. Refresh my memory please sir.

But we won't be together again in the Big EAst.

My apologies, I misread your post. I thought you were saying that we should stop with all fantasy conference affiliation posts. Actually you were saying that Pitt/Syracuse to the Big East will never happen, but other fantasy posts are OK. My bad.

Reaction Score
I do think that another monster basketball season for the Big East coupled with the expansion plans panning out and a blockbuster TV deal on the table would make anyone take a second to think it over and decide if the grass is really greener.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big East is getting a solid deal. The market is there for it, and the Big East will get it. How solid? Don't know. But it will be solid.

Reaction Score
While the BE is at it maybe they can convince Miami and VT to come back. LOL.

Someone please explain to me how a conference that any of the six remaining FB schools would leave in a heartbeat can convince anyone to come back.

The best the BE can hope for is that whatever hodge podge of left over schools it puts together for FB will get some sort of TV contract. If not from ESPN then from someone else.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I refuse to read this thread, just want to address the OP with "no fackin way." Carry on.

Reaction Score
You're right, trying to maintain a current longtime partner and a founding member of the league is on the same level as trying to get Ohio State to join. Thanks for pretending I said that. And in the future i'll send my posts to you for approval so they can be judged for intellectual integrity. You have just achieved a new level Pomposity sir Business Lawyer. Your View from section 241 is duly noted.
This coming from the guy who told people to "shut the $uck up" when he didn't like their lack of enthusiasm, and the guy who created an alignment plan for me, and then criticized me when I didn't bother to try and defend it?

I hope you realize how big of a hypocrite you are.

Reaction Score
This coming from the guy who told people to "shut the $uck up" when he didn't like their lack of enthusiasm, and the guy who created an alignment plan for me, and then criticized me when I didn't bother to try and defend it?

I hope you realize how big of a hypocrite you are.

You sir are wrong and you are also an idiot.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If we can get ND to join for football we'll have Pitt & Cuse begging to get back in (sorry for stealing your line Waylon). Then again, if the queen of England had balls, she'd be king.

Reaction Score
Look up the statistics on divorces being followed by a re-marriage to the same person and divide by 10 to get your chances of seeing Pitt and Syracuse come back.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Look up the statistics on divorces being followed by a re-marriage to the same person and divide by 10 to get your chances of seeing Pitt and Syracuse come back.

If you use Eminem's divorce/remarry rate, that number is 10%. I'll take it.

Reaction Score
you forgot one more condition...

6. On the eve of the BET and BE FB Championship, all schools will offer Pitt and Syracuse our fair share of virgins and gold (Rutgers and Seton Hall will file for hardship and will only supply gold), and we will all bow and say, "Hail Pitt and Syracuse! Thank you for coming back!"
Note: This is only effective from 2012-2015

Plus Cuse will need to be guaranteed an 8OT win in MSG over UConn to seal the reentry deal.

The only way Cuse is coming back is if the ACC tells us to pack up our Schlit and leave. I'd say you (UConn) have a good chance of being in the ACC within 3-5 years.

Please let ND come in and then I think you are a shoe in.

Reaction Score
You sir are wrong and you are also an idiot.
Sure.

And you're the genius asking if Quse/Pitt would come back. There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There is a very, very long shot that Pitt and Cuse will rejoin UConn in the BE.

The scenario would have to go like follows: The BE doesn't get poached in the near future and continues with the plan to bring in teams to get a decent media contract and keep its BCS AQ.

Missouri stays in the B12 or the B12 gets BYU and stops.

The SEC waits one year and then poaches the ACC for three teams (FSU, Clemson and GT).

The B!g decides its now or never and poaches four teams, three from the ACC (Virginia, VT and Maryland) and one from the BE (Rutgers).

The B12 takes three or four teams from the BE (Ville, WV, Cinci, and BS if they join the BE in the BE expansion)

The remaining BE schools (BB schools + UConn, USF and whoever was added) and ACC (Miami, WF, NCS, NC, Duke, BC, Cuse and Pitt) merge.

Chances of this happening are too small for anyone to take the time and put it in the media or on forums.

Reaction Score
Syracuse and Pitt are not Ohio State in football.

Butchy, I just took a look at your helmet line-up and I can't believe that we're in this spot. What an abomination.

Reaction Score
There is a very, very long shot that Pitt and Cuse will rejoin UConn in the BE.

The scenario would have to go like follows: The BE doesn't get poached in the near future and continues with the plan to bring in teams to get a decent media contract and keep its BCS AQ.

Missouri stays in the B12 or the B12 gets BYU and stops.

The SEC waits one year and then poaches the ACC for three teams (FSU, Clemson and GT).

The B!g decides its now or never and poaches four teams, three from the ACC (Virginia, VT and Maryland) and one from the BE (Rutgers).

The B12 takes three or four teams from the BE (Ville, WV, Cinci, and BS if they join the BE in the BE expansion)

The remaining BE schools (BB schools + UConn, USF and whoever was added) and ACC (Miami, WF, NCS, NC, Duke, BC, Cuse and Pitt) merge.

Chances of this happening are too small for anyone to take the time and put it in the media or on forums.

Anything can happen and having the SEC and Big 10 poach the out of the ACC while Pitt and Cuse are waiting their 27 months would sure throw a monkey wrench in Swoffy's plans. I'd love to see that happen. I know most put no credence in the possibility of Pitt and Cuse not leaving but this 27 month requirement will be a major factor in how everything plays out. It makes taking BE teams much less appealing in many ways because the new conference has to wait for so long. If you are the Big 12 do you really want to wait 2 full seasons before your new teams come in when you could just add BYU immediately and BSU in a year at the most?

Reaction Score
The only plausible scenario for which SU and Pitt come back to the BE is if the ACC is massively raided by other conferences, WVU and UL don't leave along with no one else leaving, and ND is added as a full football member.

So in other words, there are no plausible scenarios in which SU and Pitt come back.

Reaction Score
The only plausible scenario for which SU and Pitt come back to the BE is if the ACC is massively raided by other conferences, WVU and UL don't leave along with no one else leaving, and ND is added as a full football member.

So in other words, there are no plausible scenarios in which SU and Pitt come back.

ND would certainly not have to join. The ACC being raided would help but would not be a requirement either. The only real requirement would be expansion of the football conference and having assurances of a PAC 12 level TV rights deal if they stayed. Nobody would turn that down. Pride would not allow someone to walk away from $22m a year in order to recieve $15m for the next decade.

Marrinatto already says that they are prepared for a 14 team football conference in 2013 because Pitt and Cuse are still going to be here along with the 6 proposed additions. The new TV contract would be in effect for that season so there is no way that Pitt and Cuse are not discussed in those negotiations and if they stay the BE will definitely be able to get Pac 12 money and I just don't see any plausible scenario where anyone turns down that type of money.

Reaction Score
I know a lot of Syracuse people..get to that in a second...but as long as things to get duckked up by the basketball centric leadership we've got, the big east conference will have a lucrative several years ahead of them in the broadcasting world as a 12 team football conference and a hybrid basketball conference. How long it would last? who knows, depends on the broadcasting contract.

Back to the syracuse people. I'm going to actually feel real bad for those folks, if they actually do rise to the top in football and basketball in coming years, and get to play a football or basketball championship somewhere in the Carolina's, instead of new york city.

If Syracuse and UConn had made the move to the ACC, the big east would be in HUGE trouble. Perhaps there's a lot of hubris in that from me, so what....doesn't make it wrong.

I think that a big east conference minus syracuse and uconn, and instead of syracuse and pitt has a much harder time surviving, that's all, and the ACC has no trouble moving it's championships to the media capital of the world.

But we still get new york city, in basketball, and we'll hopefully very soon, have it in football too.

If anybody is foolish enough to think that the new york yankee organization won't put eveyrthing they've got into making a big east championship game at yankee stadium successful? I don't know what to tell you. College football at yankee stadium inthe bronx, and at the polo grounds in manhattan was once very, very big. The reason isn't because college football was different, it's because new york is the media capital of the world, and the landscape of college football changed dramatically between the late 1960s and late 1970s with the move toward the division of college football into 1-A and 1-AA football, and there weren't any teams in the area any more to play regularly.

One of george steinbrenner's dreams (and he as a football guy before he was a baseball guy), coached with Lou Saban.....was to return college football to new york city. Had he had more success as a football caoch early on, he might have never taken over th shipbuilding business his dad owned, and the yankees....well who knows.

His kids are following through on it - college football in the bronx.

And the nicest thing about going to new york, for a football game in december, or baskeball games in march, is that ummm..

You get to hang out in New York City!!!!

I really hope it happens. I'd go to yankee stadium to see the big east championship game, regardless of who's playing.

Reaction Score
Anderson said on Wednesday that he does not envision the process taking the full 27 months. He said the Big East has asked both Pittsburgh and Syracuse to stop coming to conference meetings and that the conference has signaled to their partners that “the transition could be sooner.”

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2011/10/19/could-pitt-syracuse-move-to-acc.html

Maryland AD really hoping that Cuse and Pitt get out of the BE sooner rather than later. He says that the BE has alluded to letting them out early when all reports are that the opposite is actually true. Marrinatto specifically said that there is no chance they get out early. I think he knows it could derail everything if Pitt and Cuse don't get out before the new BE TV contract. Regardless of whether he can envision it taking 27 months or not, it will. Count on it.

Reaction Score
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/pitt/s_762568.html

Commissioner John Marinatto said Tuesday that Pitt and Syracuse can't leave the Big East until after the 2013 football season and might become part of a restructured 14-school league before joining the Atlantic Coast Conference.
Marinatto hopes to expand the Big East to 12 football-playing schools from its current roster of six, excluding Pitt and Syracuse, who said last month they plan to leave the conference.
Asked if the new model would excuse those two schools from the Big East's 27-month notification rule, Marinatto said, "It will not."
In fact, Marinatto said Big East members have proposed a 14-school model that would include Pitt and Syracuse for two lame-duck years.
"I wouldn't rule that out at all," he said. "If it came to that, we would certainly employ that if it was to our membership's advantage."

They aren't going anywhere until after this new TV contract is signed.

Reaction Score
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/pitt/s_762568.html

Commissioner John Marinatto said Tuesday that Pitt and Syracuse can't leave the Big East until after the 2013 football season and might become part of a restructured 14-school league before joining the Atlantic Coast Conference.
Marinatto hopes to expand the Big East to 12 football-playing schools from its current roster of six, excluding Pitt and Syracuse, who said last month they plan to leave the conference.
Asked if the new model would excuse those two schools from the Big East's 27-month notification rule, Marinatto said, "It will not."
In fact, Marinatto said Big East members have proposed a 14-school model that would include Pitt and Syracuse for two lame-duck years.
"I wouldn't rule that out at all," he said. "If it came to that, we would certainly employ that if it was to our membership's advantage."

They aren't going anywhere until after this new TV contract is signed.

It's not the TV contract. We need to play with them in '12 and '13 to keep our BCS berth. We need two new teams for next year so that when they leave, after '13, we have 8 schools who have played at least two years together.

Depite anything they say to their fanbases, Pitt and SU know this, and know they can't be allowed out early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom