Is there an X-Factor on UConn's Bench? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is there an X-Factor on UConn's Bench?

Reaction Score
Heading into the season, there are always unanswered questions. This coming season, the Huskies should be able to count on great years from Lou, Pheesa and Crystal, assuming they stay healthy. In addition, I think we all hope and expect that Megan will take a big sophomore leap for UConn WBB. As for the two “Blue-Chip” freshmen, the question is not “if” they will be great players at UConn, but “when?” The biggest question for me entering the upcoming season is, “Will any of the 5 returning reserves elevate their games to the point where they become key contributors off the bench or possibly as the 5th starter for the Huskies?”

DUDE: You're most always "next level," Dude - but you really brought it with this one ( : Thanks.

Reaction Score
XFactors--Too early, but fun to project, whom may or may not step up their game. I believe ALL of the Sophs have the potential to be all we believed this time last year. Touly has potential but I believe her injury effected her either physically or mentally I'd sure like to see her break out.
My belief is the jitters gone and understanding and a mellowing Geno will produce good results.
Molly and Irwin?? Both, repeat both have the talent, IQ and BB IQ, and have been coached by one of the top coaching staffs in WCBB; why don't they shine? Bet even Geno does not have that answer.
Mikayla, sticking out my neck, shall be one X of the X factors.

BROADWAY; great to see you here. Would you be comfortable telling us how you are doing??

Reaction Score
I think I know the answer!

. The upshot of it was that Lexi turned out to be really FAST; she was the star and kept us close. (On the other hand, I missed every basket. Every. One.)

SARG: Don't know much about you, but couldn't resist asking: am I far off to guess at about "ofer " 22??

Reaction Score
BROADWAY; great to see you here. Would you be comfortable telling us how you are doing??
My goodness, thank you. Thank you so much!! Actually except for a few trips to the VA hospital (90 miles away) ---I'm doing great. 20 years ago I wouldn't have believed I make it this far. I've been writing for fun and profit--thanks for asking.

Reaction Score
Since she transferred from KY to UCONN I've had high praise for Batouly Camara!
I still feel if she is truly healthy she will be a beast on the boards with a reliable shot from 12' to 15'! She'll be the 5th starter!
She reminds me of another great Husky alum, Jamelle Elliot who was undersized but had a huge "heart" and played bigger than she really was!
Word on the returning players and the 2 freshmen is that everyone has been working on their game to make-up for the disappointment of the last 2 years
If they can remain healthy, no serious injuries or illnesses they will kick butt and take names all season!
Rsherm--I like you style. Batouly; I hope she is as you predicted last year, considering her injury. Uconn really needs a tough agile presence under the boards.
In terms of the team staying healthy that is one area you have intimate knowledge about. How are you doing. My wish is soon, very soon this shall be all in the past.

Reaction Score
My goodness, thank you. Thank you so much!! Actually except for a few trips to the VA hospital (90 miles away) ---I'm doing great. 20 years ago I wouldn't have believed I make it this far. I've been writing for fun and profit--thanks for asking.
So nice to see you are back ... BroadwayVa. We all worry you ... great you are good and OK.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As usual, another thoughtful and interesting post from Oldude. And, as is his habit, he takes criticism seriously but not personally, responding with reason, not rancor. I don't know this old dude but I bet he's also a pretty good dude.

Agreed. In less than 2 years, Oldude has become a Boneyard favorite. His likes to post ratio is almost 3 to 1. He's one of my favorite posters. I remember when he first began posting. I always enjoy reading his comments and observations. His comments are thoughtful and well written. Thanks OD. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
One obvious difference between this season and the past is the obvious lack of updates about how the players are fitting together, the conditioning returning players came back with, who is looking good in informal drills etc.

Almost as quiet as the special prosecutors office.

Ominous? perhaps.

Love your analogy. It's been very quiet on campus. The only sounds we've heard the past few weeks are crickets. That should change once classes resume next Monday (27th), and the girls return to campus and the gym for workouts and pickup games. First night is only about 7 weeks away. The summer used to be my 2nd favorite time of the year with the warm weather and long days. Since I started following the UConn women, it's become my least favorite time of the year.

May to September, five months of no basketball. Thank God for the WNBA and the Las Vegas Summer League. Five months of no news. Five months of anxiously waiting to find out which of the coveted recruits are going to commit to UConn. Last year it was Megan Walker and Christyn Williams, and we got 'em both. :) Five months of trying guess who the new starters are going to be, who's going to step up this year, and which program is going to present the biggest threat/obstacle en route to our ultimate goal of hoisting that championship trophy in April.

How nice would it be if the Hartfort Courant beat reporter for the women would do a feature on each player between mid September and the first exhibition game in early November. Those pieces could bring us up to speed on what they worked on over the summer, what their goals are for the season, and what they think of their team and it's potential this year, and maybe share a fun fact about them we don't know. It would provide an opportunity for us to get to know them a little better. An interview with Geno would also be welcomed. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
This will be the first year since 1998 that my buddy and I won't be getting season tickets because of health and financial issues so it's like stopping our"drug habit" cold turkey! We'll have to get our UCONN WBB drugs from TV! Thankfully UCONN has each game on the tube so we can still keep our passion still brewing from a distance yes but still yelling at the refs from my easy chair!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
A couple of things to consider:
1. Entering the season UCONN has more question marks than they had last year, but so does every other team in America. Almost every team has question marks entering each season. Even Notre Dame still has uncertainty regarding Turner's impact and Mabrey's ability against smaller quick guards at the PG spot.

2. Even if the depth isn't there, UCONN has more talent than anyone else in the nation. Three number one recruits and 3 others who were top 6 recruits. No one else comes close to matching how top heavy the Huskies are.

3. Geno rarely goes more than 7 deep. If you have Dangerfield, Collier, KLS, Walker and Williams as likely rotation players..that leaves 2 spots for ONO, Camara, Gordon, and Coombs. Chances are 2 of those players will step up. Last year was more of an anomaly because you had so many freshmen plus Camara who had injury issues and was in her first year of eligibility at Connecticut. This year all of those players are back and know what expectations are and have a more realistic opportunity to make an impact.

4. UCONN players regularly make strides as a sophomores or juniors, especially when a rotation spot has opened up due to graduation. We saw it with Dangerfield last year, Tuck in 2015, Jefferson in 2014, etc. It's very rare that a UCONN player who was expected to step up and seize their role as a sophomore or junior hasn't been able to do so. This year it's Megan Walker who has the chance to make her mark. Coombs, Camara and Gordon also have an opportunity to step up as role players.

5. Having unknowns at certain positions usually bodes better than having too many good players competing for PT. Most years UCONN graduates a couple of talented players and it allows other players to step up and make their impact. Players seize the opportunity. Contrary to that, when almost everyone returns from a top squad and you add in another mega talent, the results usually aren't that great. 2018 UCONN wasn't better than 2017 UCONN despite returning almost everyone and bringing in Stevens and Walker. Same in 2001 when they returned everyone and added DT...that team just wasn't as good as the 2000 squad. We've seen it at other programs too (ex. Baylor in 2013, Notre Dame in 2017, Maryland in 2007, Tennessee in 1999). This year programs like Baylor, Notre Dame, and Texas will have to find minutes for a lot of top talent. Not a bad problem to have, but I wouldn't be surprised if the chemistry isn't as strong as a result from it.

6. Last but not least, UCONN has Geno coaching and he's lost just 3 games in the last 5 years. This team is immensely talented and I'll be quite surprised if UCONN drops more than 2-3 games all year.

Carnac

Reaction Score
1. Entering the season UCONN has more question marks than they had last year, but so does every other team in America. Almost every team has question marks entering each season. Even Notre Dame still has uncertainty regarding Turner's impact and Mabrey's ability against smaller quick guards at the PG spot.

2. Even if the depth isn't there, UCONN has more talent than anyone else in the nation. Three number one recruits and 3 others who were top 6 recruits. No one else comes close to matching how top heavy the Huskies are.

3. Geno rarely goes more than 7 deep. If you have Dangerfield, Collier, KLS, Walker and Williams as likely rotation players..that leaves 2 spots for ONO, Camara, Gordon, and Coombs. Chances are 2 of those players will step up. Last year was more of an anomaly because you had so many freshmen plus Camara who had injury issues and was in her first year of eligibility at Connecticut. This year all of those players are back and know what expectations are and have a more realistic opportunity to make an impact.

4. UCONN players regularly make strides as a sophomores or juniors, especially when a rotation spot has opened up due to graduation. We saw it with Dangerfield last year, Tuck in 2015, Jefferson in 2014, etc. It's very rare that a UCONN player who was expected to step up and seize their role as a sophomore or junior hasn't been able to do so. This year it's Megan Walker who has the chance to make her mark. Coombs, Camara and Gordon also have an opportunity to step up as role players.

5. Having unknowns at certain positions usually bodes better than having too many good players competing for PT. Most years UCONN graduates a couple of talented players and it allows other players to step up and make their impact. Players seize the opportunity. Contrary to that, when almost everyone returns from a top squad and you add in another mega talent, the results usually aren't that great. 2018 UCONN wasn't better than 2017 UCONN despite returning almost everyone and bringing in Stevens and Walker. Same in 2001 when they returned everyone and added DT...that team just wasn't as good as the 2000 squad. We've seen it at other programs too (ex. Baylor in 2013, Notre Dame in 2017, Maryland in 2007, Tennessee in 1999). This year programs like Baylor, Notre Dame, and Texas will have to find minutes for a lot of top talent. Not a bad problem to have, but I wouldn't be surprised if the chemistry isn't as strong as a result from it.

6. Last but not least, UCONN has Geno coaching and he's lost just 3 games in the last 5 years. This team is immensely talented and I'll be quite surprised if UCONN drops more than 2-3 games all year.

This is the first post I've read this morning. Excellent post !!! All of your points are spot on. Thanks bballnut90! ;)

Reaction Score

B'VA: Very good report! We're running a little short of quirky minds like ours on here, so keep those posts coming now. As always, stay well.

Reaction Score
This will be the first year since 1998 that my buddy and I won't be getting season tickets because of health and financial issues so it's like stopping our"drug habit" cold turkey! We'll have to get our UCONN WBB drugs from TV! Thankfully UCONN has each game on the tube so we can still keep our passion still brewing from a distance yes but still yelling at the refs from my easy chair!

RSHERM: Speaking of the tube, IS IT CLEAR YET WHICH STATION WILL CARRY THE GAMES? Haven't been on here a lot and think the last i heard was the Comcast was dumping SNY in CT? Am NOT sure that is accurate info.

Reaction Score

Agree with all of your points but think you left out one meaningful contributor.
I believe Kayla will contribute fairly regularly. She's not afraid to do things offensively or use her body defensively or for rebounds.
She will very likely become a HS or college coach as she understands the game so well. All of that will replace her not being the most athletic or talented players.
She will regularly get playing time in the top eight!
Bronx23

Reaction Score

SARG: Don't know much about you, but couldn't resist asking: am I far off to guess at about "ofer " 22??

(Am I missing something? Is this, like, code?)

I was pretty much 0'fer everything. Couldn't even hit the net.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Agree with all of your points but think you left out one meaningful contributor.
I believe Kayla will contribute fairly regularly. She's not afraid to do things offensively or use her body defensively or for rebounds.
She will very likely become a HS or college coach as she understands the game so well. All of that will replace her not being the most athletic or talented players.
Bronx23
I am, like many on the board, a big fan of Kyla. However, in her first two years of eligibility, she has fixed only one of the four things that she had to address upon high school graduation. She now appears to be extremely fit and lean. The other three, in my opinion, still need work. She has a nice looking stroke. Yet, especially from three, she has not shot well at all. She struggles defending the dribbler on the perimeter. I was hoping the improved fitness would help. It has some but not enough. When defending the post, she is foul-prone and fairly easily moved out of position.

Mods, don't delete. I would LOVE for the above three to get fixed. She doesn't have to score much but for her to get time, she has to defend and rebound. Having Kyla in the regular rotation because she earned it and not out of necessity would be a huge boost.

Reaction Score
RSHERM: Speaking of the tube, IS IT CLEAR YET WHICH STATION WILL CARRY THE GAMES? Haven't been on here a lot and think the last i heard was the Comcast was dumping SNY in CT? Am NOT sure that is accurate info.

winlots- - -I have DIRECTV so as far as I know I'll get SNY! ESPN'll have 5-6 games, CBSSPORTSNETWORK will have 1 or 2, FOXSPORTS1 might have 1 game!
I haven't heard any other station outbid SNY for the majority of the games!
ESPN Radio took over for 1080 in CT for the radio broadcasts!

Reaction Score

(Am I missing something? Is this, like, code?)
I was pretty much 0'fer everything. Couldn't even hit the net.

SARG: didn't mean to be abstruse; and i do understand your confusion. Was just pulling your leg and guessing that you hit about one shot in 22 attempts. Does that clarify things? Also guessing you are way too modest ( :

Reaction Score
Honestly, I think UConn's season rides on the answer to these questions.

1. Walker- Can she become the dominant all around player that most projected her as coming out of HS?
2. Coombs- Can she put her health issues behind her and successfully run the offense when CD needs a breather?
3. Camara- Can she bang down low and rebound while playing smart defense?
4. Nelson-Ododa- Can she adjust to the physicality of the college game and give UConn a legit presence inside?
5. Williams- Can she play within the system and get her looks on the offensive end?
6. KLS,CD, Collier- Can they stay healthy for the entire year? An injury to any one of them would be disastrous for UConn.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
XFactors--Too early, but fun to project, whom may or may not step up their game. I believe ALL of the Sophs have the potential to be all we believed this time last year. Touly has potential but I believe her injury effected her either physically or mentally I'd sure like to see her break out.
My belief is the jitters gone and understanding and a mellowing Geno will produce good results.
Molly and Irwin?? Both, repeat both have the talent, IQ and BB IQ, and have been coached by one of the top coaching staffs in WCBB; why don't they shine? Bet even Geno does not have that answer.
Mikayla, sticking out my neck, shall be one X of the X factors.
Good to hear from you, Broadway. It has been quite some time since we have heard from you. :D

Reaction Score
SARG: didn't mean to be abstruse; and i do understand your confusion. Was just pulling your leg and guessing that you hit about one shot in 22 attempts. Does that clarify things? Also guessing you are way too modest ( :

Hah! No one who ever knows me has ever called me modest. But seriously, IRL I am HORRIBLE at basketball. In my dream, I was worse.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Bronx23

I don’t see it at all...seems like a good teammate and hard worker but doesn’t have the skill set or ability to be a contributor. Geno likely recruited her for her work ethic and effort rather than anticipating she’d become a rotation player. I’ll be stunned if she or Bent ever play meaningful minutes during a competitive game at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I think UConn's season rides on the answer to these questions.

1. Walker- Can she become the dominant all around player that most projected her as coming out of HS?
2. Coombs- Can she put her health issues behind her and successfully run the offense when CD needs a breather?
3. Camara- Can she bang down low and rebound while playing smart defense?
4. Nelson-Ododa- Can she adjust to the physicality of the college game and give UConn a legit presence inside?
5. Williams- Can she play within the system and get her looks on the offensive end?
6. KLS,CD, Collier- Can they stay healthy for the entire year? An injury to any one of them would be disastrous for UConn.
I'd like to respond to your points / questions one by one.
1) While I personally don't see any way Walker becomes a dominant player this year. I feel this way for two reasons. With the existing big three (of course barring any injuries) it would be extremely difficult for Walker to dominate. I hope fit in and contribute significantly which might be 8-12 pig and 4-7 rebounds a game. I still don't see her skill set translate to being a top notch college player. I expect her to be a good one though.
2) I hope Combs is healthy! If so she might spot CD 8-12 minutes a game in most of the bigger games. Her shooting style must be fixed in order for her to be a very good college player.
3) Batouly will definitely be in there banging and getting her share of rebounds. The defensive part might be improved but not become a strength.
4) As to Neldon -Ododa by mid season or maybe a bit earlier she will play lots of meaningful minutes and be a good contributor.
5) I believe Williams will be solid at the off guard almost from the beginning of the season. She has the game and the swag.
6) Good health for the big three is essential! Of course, no one can really predict that!
My views are usually on the moderate side, as opposed to expecting the most and beyond.
If they are close to being accurate, this will be a very, very good team with a good chance of the FF and maybe another NC.
One other point that I think might make a big difference. If KLS can truly take on the leadership role engaging all team members to play their roles, BOOM!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I don’t see it at all...seems like a good teammate and hard worker but doesn’t have the skill set or ability to be a contributor. Geno likely recruited her for her work ethic and effort rather than anticipating she’d become a rotation player. I’ll be stunned if she or Bent ever play meaningful minutes during a competitive game at UCONN.
I truly see what you're saying but sometimes court knowledge and the cerebral elements can top physical attributes.
I don't expect Kayla to do it every game but maybe every two or three be a contributor.
As to Molly Bent, I agree fully!
I hope they both surprise us as they are great teammates, good role models and both work their butts off.
Bronx23

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom