Is there an X-Factor on UConn's Bench? | The Boneyard

Is there an X-Factor on UConn's Bench?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Heading into the season, there are always unanswered questions. This coming season, the Huskies should be able to count on great years from Lou, Pheesa and Crystal, assuming they stay healthy. In addition, I think we all hope and expect that Megan will take a big sophomore leap for UConn WBB. As for the two “Blue-Chip” freshmen, the question is not “if” they will be great players at UConn, but “when?” The biggest question for me entering the upcoming season is, “Will any of the 5 returning reserves elevate their games to the point where they become key contributors off the bench or possibly as the 5th starter for the Huskies?”

Kyla and Molly will be entering their junior years at UConn. They are wonderful, smart, hard-working young ladies and great teammates. While it would be tremendous if one or both became key contributors, it would also be somewhat surprising. Neither was highly recruited out of HS and, so far, it’s been a challenge for them to compete against some of the top schools in WBB.

That leads me to Batouly, Mikayla and Lexi. All 3 were talented, highly recruited players out of HS. But for various reasons, last season was something of a “lost year” for all of them. In a sense, they are all still enigmas as far as UConn WBB is concerned.

At 6’2” with a sturdy frame, Batouly is the strongest player on the team. She is also remarkably quick off the floor and had a nice touch around the basket when she played at KY as a freshman. Until her injury in preseason, I had high hopes that Batouly would be a rebounding force, with the ability to body up and defend much bigger opposing post players, a la Morgan Tuck. The injury basically cost Batouly a 2nd season on top of her red-shirt season, as she missed a significant amount of practice and game time last year. When she finally did get on the court, her timing was off, perhaps because she was wearing more hardware on her legs than you can find at your local Home Depot. Assuming Batouly is fully healthy this coming season, she could be extremely important when UConn faces teams like ND, Baylor and maybe MS ST at the Big Dance.

Mikayla came to UConn as a McD AA, one of the top combo guards in the nation. At that McD AA game, I was very impressed with Mikayla, as she was doing some things that few players usually do in an All-Star game; specifically playing under control, passing the ball and playing defense. Like most freshmen at UConn, Mikayla experienced a period of adjustment, but around mid-season, Geno gave her some quality PT off the bench, in an effort to create a 3-guard rotation with Kia and Crystal. It never quite worked out, and just prior to the Big Dance, we all learned the scary news that Mikayla was suffering from DVT. I have no idea how much DVT may have affected Mikayla’s ability to play basketball last season prior to the diagnosis, but I do know that DVT doesn’t happen overnight, and that initial symptoms can include leg pain, cramping, fatigue and shortness of breath. While Mikayla is better, and is lifting weights and working on her shot, she’s yet to be cleared for contact. First and foremost, I want her to be completely healthy, but assuming she gets past that hurdle, it’s hard not to be excited about the prospect of a guard of Mikayla’s ability as a key contributor to the UConn lineup.

Lexi was a very talented high school player at L D Bell just outside Fort Worth, TX. At 6’, with a nice inside/outside game, she was projected to be a solid guard or wing at the college level. But when Lexi showed up at Storrs for the team trip to Italy last summer, her conditioning was less than ideal. She’s not the first freshman in Storrs to struggle with UConn’s expectations for conditioning, and she certainly won’t be the last. It set Lexi back and she never quite recovered. With her freshman year behind her, I have to believe that Geno’s message to Lexi after last season was, “Get yourself in top condition and come back ready to compete.” It would be great to see the real Lexi Gordon show up this coming season, knocking down 3’s, driving to the basket and being a key player for UConn.

If any one of the trio of talented UConn reserves steps up this coming season, I will be very pleased. If two or more step up, I will be ecstatic, as I continue to wonder, “Is there an X-Factor on UConn’s Bench?”

Last edited:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
For the team to approach the lofty Husky standard, it is mandatory that one or more of the 5 returning reserves provide quality minutes during big games.

Several reasons:

1. Crystal and Lou both missed time the past two years. If not them, somebody is going to get hurt.
2. CW and ONO are great additions. After watching them play in the U18s, I am not sure that, at least initially, they can provide the high quality of play that Geno expects. I hope they get time to develop like other past freshmen. This is not a negative toward either. The standard is higher at UCONN.
3. They lost a bunch of rebounding when Gabby and Z left. It is my biggest issue with this year's team. Who will fill that void? I am hoping that Batouly justifies the reason Geno accepted her as a transfer.
4. In big games, if Geno continues on past practices, he will play 6 or 7. Depth is more of an issue than past years.
5. They don't need scoring out of any the above mentioned 5. If they can defend the perimeter or rebound and get the ball to the scorers on offense, it would be a huge boost. Kyla doesn't have to score, for example, if she could rebound consistently and defend without fouling, she could provide much needed depth.

I have been looking at what other top teams have returning. Quite frankly, it is more interesting than normal knowing that there are going to be games this year where the team might, heaven forbid, be an underdog.

Reaction Score
this team is chock full of question marks, more then any I can think of in recent memory if you consider the quality of the two seniors, the number of players recovering from serious injuries, the apparent lack of bench strength and the super talented incoming freshmen.........heck if all goes as well as it could they might win the national championship, if injuries plague the team and players don't step up they could barely make the tournament..........I prefer the former but have a feeling they'll end up just making it to the final eight

Reaction Score
This looks to me to be the year that we pay for not recruiting position players. All guards is nice if you have a center and a power forward, but it appears that we have no rebounding and not much interior defense. Ono is a frosh. The physical play at the college level will probably be a shock to her. It will certainly be interesting to see how the coaching staff deals with it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
this team is chock full of question marks, more then any I can think of in recent memory if you consider the quality of the two seniors, the number of players recovering from serious injuries, the apparent lack of bench strength and the super talented incoming freshmen....heck if all goes as well as it could they might win the national championship, if injuries plague the team and players don't step up they could barely make the tournament.....I prefer the former but have a feeling they'll end up just making it to the final eight
While I generally agree with your post, I have to point out that 2 seasons back, there were some fairly extensive questions about that team after losing the Big 3. No size. No depth. Very little experience. Lou recovering from a broken foot. One thing UConn does better than anyone else in WBB is to answer those difficult questions that every team faces at the start of the season.

Reaction Score
Great thread and both posts!
All of the points made are seemingly possible.
I think any of the four sophs now can play a meaningful role. Obviously MW hopefully has somewhat of a big jump. If one or two of the others, one or two of the freshman, and / or Batouly step up, we maybe loaded.
I think Kayla will play a meaningful role as she's already demonstrated she's not afraid to play and mix it up. Her knowledge and understanding of the game will help her greatly fill a complimentary role.
I expect by 1/4 to 1/3 of the season this will all clarify itself.
If the big three can hopefully all stay healthy, we will present major problems for any team. Obviously height, rebounds and defense are remaining questions and concerns.
As I think this out more, this will only get better and better baring any injuries!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
This looks to me to be the year that we pay for not recruiting position players. All guards is nice if you have a center and a power forward, but it appears that we have no rebounding and not much interior defense. Ono is a frosh. The physical play at the college level will probably be a shock to her. It will certainly be interesting to see how the coaching staff deals with it.
Valid points and questions but leave it to the best coaching staff to figure it out!
Bronx23

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
“Will any of the 5 returning reserves elevate their games to the point where they become key contributors off the bench or possibly as the 5th starter for the Huskies?”

OD, that's a real and legitimate question most of us have been pondering all summer. It's one we'd all like the answer to. Excellent post by the way. You raise some very interesting points and observations. If THIS UConn team is going to even remotely resemble UConn teams of old, several of the reserves must step up, and step up BIG! The numbers (and production) that Gabby, Kia and Azura produced last year MUST be replaced. The returning starters cannot carry this team by themselves.

I mentioned in an earlier post that except for Azura and Megan, none of the reserves made a "significant" contribution to any of UConn's 36 wins last year. Some could not be put in a game for health reasons, while others were unable to play effectively for long periods of time with the starting unit while the game was still undecided. This forced Geno to keep his starters on the floor for longer periods than he preferred to. Is there an X factor on UConn's bench? There has to be. Until practice starts, and we begin to get some news about who is having good/great practices, and separating themselves from the crowd, we have nothing to go on but hope and speculation. Other than the article featuring Collier and Walker working out together, and watching the freshmen play in the FIBA U18 Americas Championship games this month, we've heard nothing about the other players.

When you speculate about an "X factor", the name that immediately comes to my mind is
Batouly Camara. Other than Megan Walker, she is the only other returning reserve with any extensive playing experience. Her freshman numbers at Kentucky (2015-2016) were modest: played in all 33 games/started 14. Averaged 18 minutes a gm. Shot 49% from the field/53% from the line. She forcibly obtained 142 rebounds (4.3 avg)/dished out 19 assists and 60 turnovers. Recorded 30 blocks and scored 167 points (5.1 avg).

Fair numbers for a freshman still trying to figure things out, but still numbers no one else on the bench can come close to. Add to this, graduation from Geno's boot camp her first year at UConn, two years of additional growth, maturity and an understanding of Geno's system, she should be ready to go. I expect Megan Walker to be Geno's 4th starter this season and the remainder of her UConn career. Because of the need for size and an interior defensive presence, Camara could very well be the 5th starter.

I expect a 100% healthy Mikayla Coombs to step all the way up and play a significant role all year in UConn's success this season. I'm hoping that every reserve including the freshmen step up and be the players Geno recruited/expects them to be. I don't see there being any "middle ground" for the bench. It's either going to be real good, or real bad. Geno has to be able to get more from his bench this year than just "cheer leading". That season for the reserves has passed!!

Every returning player knows what she needs to do "individually" to get better. Hopefully they all took the initiative and addressed those areas of concern over the summer, and return to campus next week in shape, ready to hit the ground running. We know how hard Christyn Williams is going to come in and work. She's a workout warrior. I don't expect any of the returning players will allow her to come in, and out work them. :eek:

The goal for UConn every year is to win the national championship. This year, UConn is not the favorite to do so. If they are going to win it all, there are some steep hurdles they are going to have to negotiate and overcome. Notre Dame and Baylor for starters, and maybe Oregon and Louisville. Right now, the Irish and the Bears are the elephants in the room, and have no plans on leaving. Right now, the road to the championship appears to go through those two programs.

Of course this could change as the season goes along. They're ranked 1-2 in Charlie Creme's 2018-2019 D-1 women's basketball preseason poll. We all know this is not Geno's first rodeo. In his previous 32 years at UConn, he's encountered similar challenges before.
For lots of reasons, this is going to be a very interesting (and fun) season. I'm just wondering who that 5th starter will be. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Great thread and both posts!
All of the points made are seemingly possible.
I think any of the four sophs now can play a meaningful role. Obviously MW hopefully has somewhat of a big jump. If one or two of the others, one or two of the freshman, and / or Batouly step up, we maybe loaded.
I think Kayla will play a meaningful role as she's already demonstrated she's not afraid to play and mix it up. Her knowledge and understanding of the game will help her greatly fill a complimentary role.
I expect by 1/4 to 1/3 of the season this will all clarify itself.
If the big three can hopefully all stay healthy, we will present major problems for any team. Obviously height, rebounds and defense are remaining questions and concerns.
As I think this out more, this will only get better and better baring any injuries!
Bronx23
There are only three sophomores on this season's team.

Reaction Score
Heading into the season, there are always unanswered questions. This coming season, the Huskies should be able to count on great years from Lou, Pheesa and Crystal, assuming they stay healthy. In addition, I think we all hope and expect that Megan will take a big sophomore leap for UConn WBB. As for the two “Blue-Chip” freshmen, the question is not “if” they will be great players at UConn, but “when?” The biggest question for me entering the upcoming season is, “Will any of the 5 returning reserves elevate their games to the point where they become key contributors off the bench or possibly as the 5th starter for the Huskies?”

Kyla and Molly will be entering their junior years at UConn. They are wonderful, smart, hard-working young ladies and great teammates. While it would be tremendous if one or both became key contributors, it would also be somewhat surprising. Neither was highly recruited out of HS and, so far, it’s been a challenge for them to compete against some of the top schools in WBB.

That leads me to Batouly, Mikayla and Lexi. All 3 were talented, highly recruited players out of HS. But for various reasons, last season was something of a “lost year” for all of them. In a sense, they are all still enigmas as far as UConn WBB is concerned.

At 6’2” with a sturdy frame, Batouly is the strongest player on the team. She is also remarkably quick off the floor and had a nice touch around the basket when she played at KY as a freshman. Until her injury in preseason, I had high hopes that Batouly would be a rebounding force, with the ability to body up and defend much bigger opposing post players, a la Morgan Tuck. The injury basically cost Batouly a 2nd season on top of her red-shirt season, as she missed a significant amount of practice and game time last year. When she finally did get on the court, her timing was off, perhaps because she was wearing more hardware on her legs than you can find at your local Home Depot. Assuming Batouly is fully healthy this coming season, she could be extremely important when UConn faces teams like ND, Baylor and maybe MS ST at the Big Dance.

Mikayla came to UConn as a McD AA, one of the top combo guards in the nation. At that McD AA game, I was very impressed with Mikayla, as she was doing some things that few players usually do in an All-Star game; specifically playing under control, passing the ball and playing defense. Like most freshmen at UConn, Mikayla experienced a period of adjustment, but around mid-season, Geno gave her some quality PT off the bench, in an effort to create a 3-guard rotation with Kia and Crystal. It never quite worked out, and just prior to the Big Dance, we all learned the scary news that Mikayla was suffering from DVT. I have no idea how much DVT may have affected Mikayla’s ability to play basketball last season prior to the diagnosis, but I do know that DVT doesn’t happen overnight, and that initial symptoms can include leg pain, cramping, fatigue and shortness of breath. While Mikayla is better, and is lifting weights and working on her shot, she’s yet to be cleared for contact. First and foremost, I want her to be completely healthy, but assuming she gets past that hurdle, it’s hard not to be excited about the prospect of a guard of Mikayla’s ability as a key contributor to the UConn lineup.

Lexi was a very talented high school player at L D Bell just outside Fort Worth, TX. At 6’, with a nice inside/outside game, she was projected to be a solid guard or wing at the college level. But when Lexi showed up at Storrs for the team trip to Italy last summer, her conditioning was less than ideal. She’s not the first freshman in Storrs to struggle with UConn’s expectations for conditioning, and she certainly won’t be the last. It set Lexi back and she never quite recovered. With her freshman year behind her, I have to believe that Geno’s message to Lexi after last season was, “Get yourself in top condition and come back ready to compete.” It would be great to see the real Lexi Gordon show up this coming season, knocking down 3’s, driving to the basket and being a key player for UConn.

If any one of the trio of talented UConn reserves steps up this coming season, I will be very pleased. If two or more step up, I will be ecstatic, as I continue to wonder, “Is there an X-Factor on UConn’s Bench?”

XFactors--Too early, but fun to project, whom may or may not step up their game. I believe ALL of the Sophs have the potential to be all we believed this time last year. Touly has potential but I believe her injury effected her either physically or mentally I'd sure like to see her break out.
My belief is the jitters gone and understanding and a mellowing Geno will produce good results.
Molly and Irwin?? Both, repeat both have the talent, IQ and BB IQ, and have been coached by one of the top coaching staffs in WCBB; why don't they shine? Bet even Geno does not have that answer.
Mikayla, sticking out my neck, shall be one X of the X factors.

Reaction Score
“Will any of the 5 returning reserves elevate their games to the point where they become key contributors off the bench or possibly as the 5th starter for the Huskies?”

OD, that's a real and legitimate question most of us have been pondering all summer. It's one we'd all like the answer to. Excellent post by the way. You raise some very interesting points and observations. If THIS UConn team is going to even remotely resemble UConn teams of old, several of the reserves must step up, and step up BIG! The numbers (and production) that Gabby, Kia and Azura produced last year MUST be replaced. The returning starters cannot carry this team by themselves.

I mentioned in an earlier post that except for Azura and Megan, none of the reserves made a "significant" contribution to any of UConn's 36 wins last year. Some could not be put in a game for health reasons, while others were unable to play effectively for long periods of time with the starting unit while the game was still undecided. This forced Geno to keep his starters on the floor for longer periods than he preferred to. Is there an X factor on UConn's bench? There has to be. Until practice starts, and we begin to get some news about who is having good/great practices, and separating themselves from the crowd, we have nothing to go on but hope and speculation. Other than the article featuring Collier and Walker working out together, and watching the freshmen play in the FIBA U18 Americas Championship games this month, we've heard nothing about the other players.

The name that immediately comes to my mind is Batouly Camara. She is the only returning reserve with any real playing experience on the bench. Her freshman numbers (2015-2016) at Kentucky were modest: played in all 33 games, started 14. Averaged 18 minutes a gm. Shot 49% from the field / 53% from the line. She forcibly obtained 142 rebounds (4.3 avg) / 19 assists and 60 turnovers. Recorded 30 blocks / scored 167 points (5.1 avg).

Fair numbers for a freshman still trying to figure things out, but still numbers no one else on the bench has. Add to this experience 2 years of additional growth, maturity and an understanding of Geno's system, she should be ready to go. I expect Megan Walker to be Geno's 4th starter this season and the remainder of her UConn career. Because of the need for size and an interior defensive presence, Camara could very well be the 5th starter.

I expect a 100% healthy Mikayla Coombs to step all the way up and play a significant role all year in UConn's success this season. I'm hoping that every reserve including the freshmen step up and be the players Geno recruited/expects them to be. I don't see there being any "middle ground" for the bench. It's either going to be real good, or real bad. Geno has to be able to get more from his bench this year than just "cheer leading". That season for the reserves is over!!!

Every returning player knows what she needs to do "individually" to get better. Hopefully they all took the initiative and addressed those areas of concern, and return to campus next week in shape ready to hit the ground running. We know how hard Christyn Williams is going to come in and work. She's a workout warrior. I don't expect any of the returning players allow her to come in, and out work them. :eek:

The goal for UConn every year is to win the national championship. This year, UConn is not the favorite to do so. If they are going to win it all, there are some steep hurdles they are going to have to negotiate and overcome. Notre Dame and Baylor for starters, and maybe Oregon and Louisville. Right now, the Irish and the Bears are the elephants in the room, and have no plans on leaving. Right now, the road to the championship appears to go through those two programs.

Of course this could change as the season goes along. They're ranked 1-2 in Charlie Creme's 2018-2019 D-1 women's basketball preseason poll. We all know this is not Geno's first rodeo. In his previous 32 years at UConn, he's encountered similar challenges as this before.
For lots of reasons, this is going to be a very interesting (and fun) season. I'm just wondering who that 5th starter will be. :cool:

Scoop: I enjoy all of your posts and "analysis"! One phrase I pulled from many others kinda ticlked me : Something of a comparison of the new guys with teams of old. Since 2000 and a bit beyond nearly any way this team ends the year there is a "team of old" that fits that model.
Geno has fought uphill and upper hill and basked in glory and has had very good teams some fans thought less of them. This team will fit in there somewhere. As for me winning and losing (winning is better) matters less. It is having the fun of watching good kids have fun and play the game much better than was ever envisioned by previous generations, and they are GIRLS, not PC I know!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
XFactors--Too early, but fun to project, whom may or may not step up their game. I believe ALL of the Sophs have the potential to be all we believed this time last year. Touly has potential but I believe her injury effected her either physically or mentally I'd sure like to see her break out.
My belief is the jitters gone and understanding and a mellowing Geno will produce good results.
Molly and Irwin?? Both, repeat both have the talent, IQ and BB IQ, and have been coached by one of the top coaching staffs in WCBB; why don't they shine? Bet even Geno does not have that answer.
Mikayla, sticking out my neck, shall be one X of the X factors.
Broadway,
Great to see you posting again!
:)

Reaction Score
Much talk about offense. UCONN graduated two DPOY's. Who are going to step up and replace Kia and Gabby? Not sure there are obvious candidates.

Reaction Score
I personally think Camara is the wild card this year. If she is healthy with a good frame of mind and takes off from her freshman year at Kentucky then I think WCBB should watch out.

If she just continues on the same path as last year not being healthy than it's probably going to be a long season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Much talk about offense. UCONN graduated two DPOY's. Who are going to step up and replace Kia and Gabby? Not sure there are obvious candidates.
I expect Geno to play a lot more zone this coming year. It actually started this past season, when UConn played more zone than I can remember. This coming year I expect to see multiple zone configurations by the Huskies.

Reaction Score
The biggest question for me entering the upcoming season is, “Will any of the 5 returning reserves elevate their games to the point where they become key contributors off the bench or possibly as the 5th starter for the Huskies?”
. . .

I think I know the answer!

Coincidentally, just last night I dreamed that I was playing for UConn (all 5'5" of me) -- and Geno made me start, along with CW, ONO, and Lexi. (I don't know who the fifth starter was.) He kept Lou, Crystal, Napheesa, and Megan on the bench for the first quarter. The upshot of it was that Lexi turned out to be really FAST; she was the star and kept us close. (On the other hand, I missed every basket. Every. One.)

So -- I predict a break-out year for Lexi.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I don't think there will be ONE x-factor. But I think Kyla Irwin will give meaningful minutes, hitting some threes, getting some rebounds and putbacks, and playing some D. Camara will get some of the same, less threes and adding some inside points (my guess is Camara will be the fifth starter). Assuming Coombs is healthy, she'll do some good things.

Regarding victor64's third point, I don't think rebounding will be a bigger issue than last year. Collier will likely be in double figures, as might Camara if she plays enough. Nelson-Ododa and Irwin will likely contribute, too.

Reaction Score

Missing Z is our big loss. With her, inside and outside, we were tough. Without her we add those X factors.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
One obvious difference between this season and the past is the obvious lack of updates about how the players are fitting together, the conditioning returning players came back with, who is looking good in informal drills etc.

Almost as quiet as the special prosecutors office.

Ominous? perhaps.

Reaction Score
Since she transferred from KY to UCONN I've had high praise for Batouly Camara!
I still feel if she is truly healthy she will be a beast on the boards with a reliable shot from 12' to 15'! She'll be the 5th starter!
She reminds me of another great Husky alum, Jamelle Elliot who was undersized but had a huge "heart" and played bigger than she really was!
Word on the returning players and the 2 freshmen is that everyone has been working on their game to make-up for the disappointment of the last 2 years
If they can remain healthy, no serious injuries or illnesses they will kick butt and take names all season!

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
As usual, another thoughtful and interesting post from Oldude. And, as is his habit, he takes criticism seriously but not personally, responding with reason, not rancor. I don't know this old dude but I bet he's also a pretty good dude.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As usual, another thoughtful and interesting post from Oldude. And, as is his habit, he takes criticism seriously but not personally, responding with reason, not rancor. I don't know this old dude but I bet he's also a pretty good dude.
I’m blushing....:oops:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom