Is There an Issue With Kristine Anigwe? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is There an Issue With Kristine Anigwe?

Reaction Score
Anigwe's rookie season continues to deviate from expectations.

Get a recap of the Dallas Wings vs. Phoenix Mercury basketball game. Dallas vs. Phoenix - Game Recap - August 10, 2019 - ESPN
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

Anigwe fans might view her "confrontation" with Griner positively. Critics would see evidence in this fight and subsequent ejection as reflective of immaturity, to say the least.

The Wings did hold on after the confrontation to win their first road game of the year.

Anigwe played 4 scoreless minutes with 1 rebound, foul and ejection.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Anigwe's rookie season continues to deviate from expectations.

Get a recap of the Dallas Wings vs. Phoenix Mercury basketball game. Dallas vs. Phoenix - Game Recap - August 10, 2019 - ESPN
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

Anigwe fans might view her "confrontation" with Griner positively. Critics would see evidence in this fight and subsequent ejection as reflective of immaturity, to say the least.

The Wings did hold on after the confrontation to win their first road game of the year.

Anigwe played 4 scoreless minutes with 1 rebound, foul and ejection.

More likely Anigwe was 'told' to get under Griner's skin any way she can. Not a bad trade to get Griner kicked out. Griner has to be smarter. She is so much more critical to the team than Anigwe

Reaction Score
Completely agree. If this is the most notable moment of Anigwe's rookie season I wonder what it suggests for her career? That she is the designated enforcer? Hockey at one time had a similar requirement for a bench player.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Completely agree. If this is the most notable moment of Anigwe's rookie season I wonder what it suggests for her career? That she is the designated enforcer? Hockey at one time had a similar requirement for a bench player.

I can just imagine Agler's frustration this season and adopting a scorched earth policy to get into the heads (or body) of the opponents.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
More likely Anigwe was 'told' to get under Griner's skin any way she can. Not a bad trade to get Griner kicked out. Griner has to be smarter. She is so much more critical to the team than Anigwe
Yeah, it's the oldest trick in the book to send some scrub into the game to try to goad the opposing team's best player into a fight that gets them ejected.

Reaction Score
BobbyJ observed

" Griner didn’t do anything wrong initially. It was Anigwe who started by pulling down Griner’s arm and swinging it. She can’t help that she’s 6’8 and her arms are that high when she’s boxing out. This was started by Anigwe and she knew exactly what she was doing as evidenced by her running away after starting it"

To the extent BobbyJ is accurate in his description, there is a clear reflection of Anigwe's . . . approach to the game.

This certainly is the most attention Anigwe has received in a very disappointing initial season in the WNBA

Reaction Score

Pretty sure she pulled that in CT too. Griner got T’d up in the game while defending her. So I don’t think she was “told”, I think that’s who she is.

Reaction Score
Based on seven years of watching her play I would agree with you.

Reaction Score
Yes. Nothing really that extreme with Anigwe play until that baby slap she layed on Griner at the end of the play. Now that was chicken sh!ttt. She slapped her and instantly started running. The pulling of the arm was a bit much but it was done in the process of untangling. They should have not have restrained Griner and just watched to see if she could have caught Anigwe who would have eventually had to run into the stands. We could have had the pleasure of watching an interesting chase. They could have even played Keystone Cops theme music in the background.

It appears that Griner does not have the ability to channel her anger into gameplay, so she reacts after the game is over. The great players you never want to get them mad because they will channel that anger into their play and elevate their game. Giner plays timid and does not get aggressive until the play is over like she exhibited in this game.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Anigwe is no Nolan Ryan.

Heck, she’s not even Robin Ventura.

Reaction Score
The FarmFan writes over on the thread - Six ejected, including Brittney Griner, as fight breaks out between Mercury and Wings

I did find this quote striking from the CT Sun coachafter the trade:

Theresa gives us an experienced, young veteran presence who has a tremendous reputation across the league as a fantastic teammate and unifier in the locker room," Sun coach and general manager Curt Miller said in a statement.
As opposed to the player you just traded her for

This post speaks volumes about my view of Anigwe over the past 8 years of watching her presence on basketball teams.

Reaction Score
Britney needs to ignore the petty stuff. She should be unstoppable in the middle and lead the league in scoring. Blocked shots are over-rated IMO. She never has had the coaching she needs to be what she can be.

Kinda like what's happening to Gustafson right now.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I thought BG has really been playing very well over the last half of the season. I think Anigwe must have added some language to the physical play to set her off like that but she has to let her play do the talking. Can't be baited out of the game.

Reaction Score

The NBA too. The Celtics has a guy, Bill Loscutoff. He came in when someone needed to be put on the floor.

Reaction Score
The FarmFan writes over on the thread - Six ejected, including Brittney Griner, as fight breaks out between Mercury and Wings

I did find this quote striking from the CT Sun coachafter the trade:

As opposed to the player you just traded her for

This post speaks volumes about my view of Anigwe over the past 8 years of watching her presence on basketball teams.

Maybe he’s just giving one player who has a good reputation her props.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Britney needs to ignore the petty stuff. She should be unstoppable in the middle and lead the league in scoring. Blocked shots are over-rated IMO. She never has had the coaching she needs to be what she can be.

Kinda like what's happening to Gustafson right now.
Griner is leading the league in scoring right now at 19.4 ppg.

Reaction Score
And then there's this. In the clip of this Cal vs. WSU game, Anigwe literally chucked the ball right into a downed player's face. Totally unnecessary; typical Kristine keeping it klassy.

As I've observed in this thread my experience in watching Anigwe has left me completely unsurprised by this recent event. The other point I have made is that in seven years of watching her play I have a sense that she has both a attitude problem and Anigwe first focus. Her physical gifts in high school allowed her to continue to achieve at a relatively high level. Ultimately this me first focus in a team sport is deadly. I have seen Anigwe compared to Stephen Marbury and Russell Westbrook.....not in talent but in approach

Reaction Score
Since returning from suspension Anigwe continues an unremarkable and undistinguished rookie season. Wondering what the future holds and if Anigwe has received the message that her attitude and play need to change.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
even great players get fed up with punks. deeds, not words. clocked some 'forgotten by history' no-name chump right in the mug.

Reaction Score
Anigwe's personal foul followed by technical at 5:33 mark of the fourth quarter destroy Wing comeback momentum.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Anigwe's personal foul followed by technical at 5:33 mark of the fourth quarter destroy Wing comeback momentum.

Yes, Anigwe had some issues including a poor offensive play at games end but the TF did not stop the wing's momentum. The technical gave the Dream a 69-64 lead but the wings got the game tied at 71 long after. And Anigwe is strong on the boards (4 O / 5D in 17 minutes) and a pest (maybe overzellous) on defense and she will need to continue to play that way to stay in the league.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, Geno was double-teaming her for the whole first half of the Cal game. When they didn't she was able to out muscle Collier. So she's probably not that over-rated.
So ---you are saying She IS OVER RATED, now we are discussing the degree of over-rating. Is that what you meant?

Reaction Score
Yes, Anigwe had some issues including a poor offensive play at games end but the TF did not stop the wing's momentum. The technical gave the Dream a 69-64 lead but the wings got the game tied at 71 long after. And Anigwe is strong on the boards (4 O / 5D in 17 minutes) and a pest (maybe overzellous) on defense and she will need to continue to play that way to stay in the league.
This is one of the things I really enjoy about sports discussions. Reasonable people can look at the game in general and games in particular and civilly have a disagreement about what they've seen. In the game in question AO scored 6 points in a row to draw the Wing within four. It seemed there was a palpable swing in momentum and energy to her team. After Anigwe's personal foul and technical the Wings in my view seem to lose that momentum that allowed them to draw so close. Finally with 40 seconds left in a two-point game Anigwee again plays a large part in the outcome by turning the ball over. I will admit I do have bias based on experience and viewing her game over 7 years, perhaps in some similar way to the strong view Husky fans have of AO. In another thread another BYer speculated that I'm an AO fan. In my reply I tried to share that I'm a big fan of women's basketball. While my primary allegiance is to the ASU Sun Devils, University of Connecticut Huskies and the Phoenix Mercury. I do enjoy women's sports in general.

Reaction Score
In last night's game a big road win by the Wing over the Sky we see a tale of two rookies. AO has another phenomenal game while Anigwe totals more fouls than points four to three and shows why some statistics are extraordinary deceptive as she's +8 on the floor

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom