Is there an argument.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is there an argument....

Reaction Score
We usually had big powerful front courts that could rebound and block shots especially after we got out muscled in the tournament by Maryland. Calhoun basically said never again. Maybe this is the best one since 2014, but without great guards it doesn’t matter and I doubt we will have great guards.

Reaction Score
2009? Even 2011 is pretty darn talented, if not "better."
2009 frontcourt is top 3 for sure. I think Whaley can have a Jeff Adrien type year. Call me crazy, but I'm taking a sophomore Sanogo over a junior Thabeet. Akok and Stix cancel each other out and the combo of Polley/Samson beats Edwards.

2011, while they had raw talent with high ceilings, won't be as good as this year's frontcourt. I expect this year's team to accomplish far more than that team did.

Reaction Score
2009 frontcourt is top 3 for sure. I think Whaley can have a Jeff Adrien type year. Call me crazy, but I'm taking a sophomore Sanogo over a junior Thabeet. Akok and Stix cancel each other out and the combo of Polley/Samson beats Edwards.

2011, while they had raw talent with high ceilings, won't be as good as this year's frontcourt. I expect this year's team to accomplish far more than that team did.
Thabeet averaged 13.6 points, 10.8 rebounds, and 4.2 blocks on 64% shooting as a junior. I think our frontcourt will be a real strength this year, but it’s best to keep expectations reasonable.

Reaction Score
Call me crazy, but I'm taking a sophomore Sanogo over a junior Thabeet.
Just remember that Thabeet was a a consensus 2nd team All American and the NABC Defensive Player of the Year. That kind of positive production is tough to beat. If Sanogo does give the Huskies that kind of production then they should be rolling.

Reaction Score
Thabeet averaged 13.6 points, 10.8 rebounds, and 4.2 blocks on 64% shooting as a junior. I think our frontcourt will be a real strength this year, but it’s best to keep expectations reasonable.
Where's the fun in reasonable expectations? Sanogo will be a better basketball player than Thabeet.

Reaction Score
Where's the fun in reasonable expectations? Sanogo will be a better basketball player than Thabeet.
You can use whatever qualitative adjectives you'd like, but I doubt Sanogo will be a more productive player than Hasheem based on the numbers quoted by @ToolzieFan. Sanogo may be more skilled, "a better player," or whatever you'd like, but I don't see him outperforming a singled quoted metric. I would be ecstatic to be wrong.

Reaction Score
Junior Thabeet, 13/10/4, was the defensive player of the year and singlehandedly dominated games defensively and at times, offensively. I like Sanogo, but that's not happening.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

I love your enthusiasm and I share the optimism, but I will also take your advice and call you crazy!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
.....the 21'-22' season has the potential to roster the greatest UConn frontcourt in 20 years?

Only others in contention IMO:

2008-2009
Jeff Adrien (S)
Stanley Robinson (So)
Hasheem Thabeet (J)
Gavin Edwards (J)

2005-2006
Hilton Armstrong (S)
Josh Boone (J)
Rudy Gay (So)
Ed Nelson (S)

2004-2005
Charlie Villanueva (So)
Hilton Armstrong (J)
Josh Boone (So)
Rudy Gay (F)

2003-2004
Charlie Villanueva (F)
Hilton Armstrong (So)
Josh Boone (F)
Emeka Okafor (J)
Technically, anything has potential, but realistically, there is a much better chance that all four of those "other contenders" will prove to be better.

BTW, I'd put the '98-'99 frontcourt up there as well as '93-'94.

Reaction Score
In recent months, I've noticed that my finger taps on the phone a bit to the right of my intent, so that the number 1 often shows up as a 2. If this is what happened with you, then, yeah, I can see potential for this to be the best front court since a decade ago, when Drummond and Oriakhi didn't pair well together.

Then again, you listed 4 teams from the first decade of the 21st Century. On that score, I can only offer that your post is, quite Scrappy.
...I said does this year's roster have the potential to be the greatest UConn frontcourt in 20 years...

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Unless Sanago turns into NPOY and everyone else turns into lottery picks it’s unlikely. Very unlikely.

Shows how good our front courts have been though because this could be one of the best in the country. Going to have some dogs in the paint looking to regain our rightful spot as best shot blocking team in the country.

Reaction Score
Just remember that Thabeet was a a consensus 2nd team All American and the NABC Defensive Player of the Year. That kind of positive production is tough to beat. If Sanogo does give the Huskies that kind of production then they should be rolling.
The game is so different. Unfortunately for Thabeet he rolled around just a tad too late to be any good in the league, in part because basketball wasn't his first sport. There's no reason he couldn't have been a Hibbert like player, probably better, who dominated on defense in the even in the 2000s, but by 2009 that was subtly changing and by 2014 it was over.

Reaction Score
Junior Thabeet, 13/10/4, was the defensive player of the year and singlehandedly dominated games defensively and at times, offensively. I like Sanogo, but that's not happening.
If Adama grows 6” before the season I’ll agree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom