Is there a reason why we don’t play games in Boston? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is there a reason why we don’t play games in Boston?

Reaction Score
Though Boston is closer and many alumni are in the area, I feel like UConn has chosen to stick with branding itself as "New York"

During realignment, there was much more value with UConn being in NYC's market than in Boston's.

Boston clearly has BC as the university of the city (even though no one in Boston gives a about BC, having lived in Boston) it's tough to see UConn as a real player.

NYC doesn't have the type of name brand association with a college & city. Therefore, it makes sense for UConn to keep branding itself as "New York City's Team"
Well now with the “Heart of New England” thing, it seems like the windmills are tilting back towards Boston

Reaction Score
New York metro is only a little less than 3x larger than Boston metro. Still a lot more, but Boston proper is notoriously small compared to its metro, so makes more sense to compare metro areas (considering that's where the vast majority of people who work "in Boston" live and would be drawing from to get people to a game).

The money is also in Boston. Bio tech and startup hub among other things. Median metro salary: Boston 94k. NYC 83k. Recent college grads is also 5k more in Boston.
He said Boston and NYC, I found it surprising considering NYC is over 12 times more populated than Boston. If we're doing metro areas NY is over 4 times more populated than Boston metro area and the University needs to step up their game in NYC and the NY metro area.

I don't think he was talking about people living in Manchester, NH. Providence. RI.
Waterbury, CT. and Paterson, NJ.

Reaction Score
The school published a cool map a couple years back with the number of alumni in each city, which is where I’m recalling this from. I tried to do a Google image search for “UConn Alumni Map” but all it comes back with are pictures and maps of the Alumni dorms lol
Maybe this one?

7D1CE567-909F-4E36-849F-E3A6A5AE6CE7.jpeg

Reaction Score
Well now with the “Heart of New England” thing, it seems like the windmills are tilting back towards Boston
Without any data to back this up, I feel like Boston is becoming a more popular destination for young grads than NYC is. I’m in Boston with the rest of my friends and we all went to UConn. I don’t know a single person that moved to NYC. I know about 20 people who moved to Boston after graduation though.

UConn is still undeniably a NYC brand, and we always will be as long as the BET is played at the Garden. I don’t know how much benefit UConn would get from trying to build a bigger brand presence in Boston. Boston as a whole doesn’t care about college sports. It’s not a college basketball city at all, but NYC is

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Sub-optimal use of time and money. End of story.

Reaction Score
The school published a cool map a couple years back with the number of alumni in each city, which is where I’m recalling this from. I tried to do a Google image search for “UConn Alumni Map” but all it comes back with are pictures and maps of the Alumni dorms lol
1650925012880.jpeg

Reaction Score
The emphasis should be on getting good games on campus. There is no need to schedule MSG anymore since SJU and BET do that for us already. No more Newark; Barclays or new arena in Queens aren't acceptable either. NJ is covered thanks to SHU anyway.

I am OK with Boston once in a blue moon (e.g. every 5 years) if it means getting a game against Gonzaga or Duke; not a mid major regional state U.

If Gonzaga wants to do a "home and home" of Boston / Vegas you take the call, if Duke wants to do MSG one off, fine. Outside of that come to Storrs or Hartford. That includes Syracuse.

College hoops is about the college atmospheres and outside specific situations (BET, NCAA Tourney), it isn't being replicated in neutral environments. It isn't a traveling road show.

UConn playing in Boston v. UMass or MSG v. Cuse doesn't do anything anymore. In fact in both cases it's just benefitting the other party more than it is UConn since neither of those schools own those markets and need the exposure to get a leg up over their conference peers, something UConn doesn't need. And I say all this as someone that can walk to MSG.

A game in Boston once in awhile is a good idea to get local alumni engaged but it shouldn't be a routine thing.

Another example of something that could work is a Men's Women's Doubleheader v. Notre Dame in Boston. That is a headliner event, as opposed to v. St. Bonnies and UCLA in Newark.

As fans we should want better than what we've been getting of recent.

Reaction Score
Boston as a whole doesn’t care about college sports. It’s not a college basketball city at all, but NYC is
NYC isn't really a college basketball city either. It's a professional sports city as much as Boston is. It's really BET and bust as far as college hoops goes. St. John's sells out like 1 game a year at MSG despite pulling from 20+ million people.

Reaction Score
NYC isn't really a college basketball city either. It's a professional sports city as much as Boston is. It's really BET and bust as far as college hoops goes. St. John's sells out like 1 game a year at MSG despite pulling from 20+ million people.
MSG hosts early season tourneys, BET, and the NIT (rip). Teams make an effort to play games there. Is there ever anyone trying to play games in Boston at TD Garden? It’s got a different vibe to it

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I'm not sure the OP was implying that it needed to be a local (to Boston) opponent. I personally believe that a reasonable (or better) profile opponent from outside the northeast would be sufficient.

I've been saying for nearly two decades that one thing we should do is play games in both Boston & NYC every year and take the approach that both cities and everything between them is ours.
It’s doesn’t have to be a local Boston team. Pick a team big name from the Power 6. I think that would be better for a turnout

Reaction Score
It's actually criminal they don't play a game every once in awhile in Boston.

Reaction Score
The emphasis should be on getting good games on campus. There is no need to schedule MSG anymore since SJU and BET do that for us already. No more Newark; Barclays or new arena in Queens aren't acceptable either. NJ is covered thanks to SHU anyway.

I am OK with Boston once in a blue moon (e.g. every 5 years) if it means getting a game against Gonzaga or Duke; not a mid major regional state U.

If Gonzaga wants to do a "home and home" of Boston / Vegas you take the call, if Duke wants to do MSG one off, fine. Outside of that come to Storrs or Hartford. That includes Syracuse.

College hoops is about the college atmospheres and outside specific situations (BET, NCAA Tourney), it isn't being replicated in neutral environments. It isn't a traveling road show.

UConn playing in Boston v. UMass or MSG v. Cuse doesn't do anything anymore. In fact in both cases it's just benefitting the other party more than it is UConn since neither of those schools own those markets and need the exposure to get a leg up over their conference peers, something UConn doesn't need. And I say all this as someone that can walk to MSG.

A game in Boston once in awhile is a good idea to get local alumni engaged but it shouldn't be a routine thing.

Another example of something that could work is a Men's Women's Doubleheader v. Notre Dame in Boston. That is a headliner event, as opposed to v. St. Bonnies and UCLA in Newark.

As fans we should want better than what we've been getting of recent.
Also the AD should probably focus on getting better quality OOC games at the XL and Gampel now that they’re gonna raise the price of season tickets by 300%…MSG and Boston can wait a few years

Although if we could set up a yearly BC/Harvard matchup instead of a Coppin State level team I would be all for it. Home games would be at the XL or Gampel, away games at TD Garden

Reaction Score
Also the AD should probably focus on getting better quality OOC games at the XL and Gampel now that they’re gonna raise the price of season tickets by 300%…MSG and Boston can wait a few years
I get the vibe Hurley isn't too big or trying that hard with OOC games at home. But maybe he will be forced with the season ticket hike.

Reaction Score
I get the vibe Hurley isn't too big or trying that hard with OOC games at home. But maybe he will be forced with the season ticket hike.
If he is against it then he’s gotta change his philosophy. Teams like Kansas and Kentucky play loaded OOC schedules and it looks awesome. There’s no excuse to not schedule Florida or Texas H/H series again. Hell, do it at the same time so we’re away @ Texas and then home against Florida in the same year. We gotta beef up the schedule

Reaction Score
If he is against it then he’s gotta change his philosophy. Teams like Kansas and Kentucky play loaded OOC schedules and it looks awesome. There’s no excuse to not schedule Florida or Texas H/H series again. Hell, do it at the same time so we’re away @ Texas and then home against Florida in the same year. We gotta beef up the schedule
Agree. Back when you could get on the scheduling board for D1 teams you would see UConn's postings and it just didn't seem like they were aggressively looking for good games.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Absolutely not. The only neutral sites games we should play are preseason MTEs, the BET, and the NCAAs. The other 8-9 OOC should be reserved for H/H series with P5 schools and the occasional home game against a regional cupcake.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
We are playing the back end of a H/H series with Florida this year in Gainesville. Also, we are due a home game in the Big East/Big 12 challenge and the most likely opponents are Texas and Baylor.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
According to who?
They were both at home last year. They are two of the bigger brands in the Big 12 that are due a road game in the challenge. UConn is arguably the biggest brand due a home game.

Reaction Score
We are playing the back end of a H/H series with Florida this year in Gainesville. Also, we are due a home game in the Big East/Big 12 challenge and the most likely opponents are Texas and Baylor.
Please no Texas. I’m sick of the same OOC games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom