Is there a Juco that could help our rebounding next year? | The Boneyard

Is there a Juco that could help our rebounding next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have been looking at the available Jucos but there is scant info on rebounders.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I have been looking at the available Jucos but there is scant info on rebounders.

Have you seen UConn luck with Juco's lately and being admitted.

Reaction Score

There probably are somewhere. The national website has stats here:

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2012-13/div1/index

My personal experience is that JuCo stats can be out of whack based on competition level, pace of games (a lot of chucking means a lot of statss), or probably padded at some places since there's a lack of quality control. I recall a mid-major signing the top JuCo rebounder in the country and he averaged about 5 rpg at the DI level. He was an unathletic wide body who couldn't push people around any more once the competition was better.

There are good rebounders down there (finding offensive polish is another story), but a guy averaging 9-10 could be better than one averaging 15 (if the first place keeps legit stats and their competition is decent).

Definitely worth a look in this case - just to find a role player who has had two or three extra years in the weight room. If he doesn't pan out, you only eat the schollie for two years.

Reaction Score
There probably are somewhere. The national website has stats here:

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2012-13/div1/index

My personal experience is that JuCo stats can be out of whack based on competition level, pace of games (a lot of chucking means a lot of statss), or probably padded at some places since there's a lack of quality control. I recall a mid-major signing the top JuCo rebounder in the country and he averaged about 5 rpg at the DI level. He was an unathletic wide body who couldn't push people around any more once the competition was better.

There are good rebounders down there (finding offensive polish is another story), but a guy averaging 9-10 could be better than one averaging 15 (if the first place keeps legit stats and their competition is decent).

Definitely worth a look in this case - just to find a role player who has had two or three extra years in the weight room. If he doesn't pan out, you only eat the schollie for two years.

Definitely my thought. He comes in and contributes immediately. If not, he doesn't eat up four years.

Reaction Score
You think KO would insert Jimmy Bennett in the line-up for big east play? 6'9" and 309 lbs should clear out space.

Reaction Score
Juco aren't what they used to be since the NCAA lowered admissions requirements and basically allow schools to lower their requirements as low as they want. The kids that would have been good Jucos in the 80s and 90s are now playing at schools with joke admissions.

Reaction Score
Theres a kid out here in Seattles Shoreline CC, Named George Nahshon that is averaging 20ppg and 15 Rpg. Probably word probably wont spread that far. But kids 6'8 - 6'9 with Broad shoulders. Never stops hustling. Just stating they're out there.

Reaction Score
He's not a Juco, but I've floated Joshua Smith out there as a kid who could help us next year with rebounding. Given there are basically no recruits left from the 2013 class that can make an immediate impact, Smith seems to be the best transfer available actually eligible to play next season. He was a top 20 recruit who had some moments at UCLA but just couldn't put it together. I think Kevin Ollie would be the perfect coach for him, and at the very least he's another big body.

Reaction Score
He's not a Juco, but I've floated Joshua Smith out there as a kid who could help us next year with rebounding. Given there are basically no recruits left from the 2013 class that can make an immediate impact, Smith seems to be the best transfer available actually eligible to play next season. He was a top 20 recruit who had some moments at UCLA but just couldn't put it together. I think Kevin Ollie would be the perfect coach for him, and at the very least he's another big body.

Smith is going to Georgetown.

Reaction Score
Missouri just got a 2013 commit from JUCO Keanau Post...physical big. Scout has him at 6'10, 255

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom