Is the US really that ignorant regarding FIBA basketball? | The Boneyard

Is the US really that ignorant regarding FIBA basketball?

Reaction Score
Interesting thought @mudcat, but my buddies and I have a true love of WCBB, sometimes not without a suspicion of insularity, but always fresh and ingenuous.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
This is an interesting article and, given the general insularity of the American public, may also reflect a similar insularity in the American basketball world. What say ye?
Europeans mocking the WNBA 2018 Draft as it underlines the lack of global game view Stateside - Bluestar Media

Well Mr. Nilsen does make a valid point regarding the general lack of awareness relative to FIBA women's basketball and the low number of FIBA players that were selected in the WNBA draft. He then weakens his own argument by admitting there are scheduling conflicts between the WNBA and FIBA. So will the FIBA player actually play in the WNBA is a real concern. He admits the WNBA is the best women's basketball league in the world. Why? I think because the best players are from America. Perhaps Vadeeva appears so good because she is playing against the generally inferior FIBA basketball talent. Overseas Chong and other WNBA non-superstars play like a blooming all-stars. Are Chong and the other WNBA players competing with FIBA produced talent? If the WNBA is the best then why be concerned about inferior FIBA leagues. Question: Why come to the USA to play for so little money relatively speaking? Is Mr. Nilsen being hypocritical? Or just peeved because no one in the WNBA listened to his promoting of Vadeeva.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
How strange to me that FIBA aficionado's feel that we should know as much about international players as the College players. The style of play is quite different (not saying better or worse but different) and their is no guarantee that it is an easy transition to the WNBA. The international game is based on skill sets that require the whole team to be on board and there are few international players (Meeseman and who else? ) that have made it in the WNBA. (Not counting Australia which has a more American style). If the international players want to get the respect, they need to choose to make the WNBA their main career and show their stuff. I understand this is difficult from a scheduling side but until it happens, the WNBA will keep it's focus on the US players.

P.S. Did they want Lobo to say she knows the player better than she does? :confused::confused:

Prove us wrong Vadeeva.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The whole article is so phony. He's talking out of both sides of his mouth. He says he gets that franchises can't afford luxury picks but then says it "defies belief" she wasn't picked earlier. Well, which is it?

We've already had Americans skip the WNBA to focus on playing in Russia. Now we're going to expect a young Russian to come every year? He makes some mention that there are fewer scheduling conflicts now for European players. In the past, Euro players (and Americans with Euro citizenship) have missed huge chunks of games due to Eurobasket happening right in the middle of the season.

Meeseeman's not playing WNBA this year. Cambage has skipped several seasons. There is very serious risk in taking a Euro player when you don't know if they will show up. The teams in the lottery need help now. They can't gamble that Vadeeva will be there. I'm sure she is saying she will play now. What happens if she spends a summer flying coach around the US for a fraction of her Russian salary and decides it's not for her? You're screwed.

Established, talent-rich teams like Sparks can make these kind of gambles. Vadeeva doesn't show up and it's no sweat for them. They've still got Parker, Nneka and Lavender.

He's pretending not to understand what is quite obvious.

Reaction Score
The same guy subsequently points out more risks with Vadeeva.

The real question and threat for the WNBA teams and especially in the case of Vadeeva is if her rumored transfer to UMMC materializes. She could sign a multi-year, multi-millionaire clause which could yet demand that the player only suits up with UMMC and the national team and that she does not play WNBA. Something similar happened a couple of years ago with Diana Taurasi and if this becomes a trend, the WNBA could be in trouble.

Q and A with WNBA draftees Maria Vadeeva and Raisa Musina - In their own words - Bluestar Media

So there’s obviously plenty of risks associated with Vadeeva. She went to the Sparks, who are the most stacked team in the league. They can afford to take the risks. It made perfect sense that she was taken at #11. Plus she wanted to go to the Sparks, so why would there be any angst?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is an interesting article and, given the general insularity of the American public, may also reflect a similar insularity in the American basketball world. What say ye?
Europeans mocking the WNBA 2018 Draft as it underlines the lack of global game view Stateside - Bluestar Media
Generally agree with Mr. Nielsen that both Maria Vadeeva and Raisa Musina should have both been drafted much higher in the WNBA draft. There was ample verifiable performances ( as noted in the article) to more than justify these selections and alleviate any concerns from WNBA teams. The evidence dates back to FIBA U19 from Summer of 2015 when USA basketball team featuring A'Ja Wilson, Lauren Cox, Napheesa Collier and Azura Stevens played against a Russian team featuring Maria Vadeeva and Raisa Musina. A'Ja was deservedly named tournament MVP but both Maria Vadeeva and Raisa Musina were outstanding. Since 2015 Maria Vadeeva and Raisa Musina have been playing professionally against many WNBA players including teammates Neka, Angel, and Cappie. Despite the BY musings A"Ja Wilson has also obviously improved significantly since 2015 but here is a key factor that should have figured into the drafting- Vadeeva is a full 2 years younger than Wilson.
The major concern about drafting these Russian player is something that @Shades has mentioned here before: are they committed and available to play a full WNBA season. As pointed out in the article the Russian National team has no major international commitments that would make them unavailable to the WNBA. The club team's schedule in Russia does not conflict with the WNBA season because if it did Neka and Angel would also have conflicts.
I saw the draft pretty much the same way Nielsen did and would not have been surprised if Valdeeva was the #1 overall pick. Musina falling to the second round is unfathomable to me because IMO she has comparable (if not better than) skills to Napheesa Collier.

This is the game from 2015 so that people can judge for themselves.

Reaction Score
The question of whether she would actually play in the W for the relative peanuts the league pays is likely the major reason she dropped so far. The Sun drafted a Euro star several years ago and they are still waiting for her to show up. The salary barely covers living expenses for a Euro player.
My other admittedly speculative reason for her falling into the laps of the Sparks is that Vadeeva made it clear to the league that the only team she would consider playing for was LA. Now I know that suggests that the draft isn't quite honest but I would remind those that scoff at my speculation that this is a league that used to hold the lottery selection draw (who gets the 1st pick) behind closed doors. That practice always stunk of a fix and the fact that the media (ESPN) never once questioned it just made the stink even more pungent.

Reaction Score
She's a 6'3" center who might be called away for national team or European club commitments during some summers. I think 11 to a stacked team was the right place.

Reaction Score
She’s playing overseas in the Euroleague Final Foul. But you don’t have to worry about her losing her spot on the team.
Thanks. I couldn't imagine her not being on the team.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
What say ye?

Just noticed this in an article, Moore's team wins EuroLeague Final Four. This why WNBA teams don't waste 1st round picks on FIBA players other than on the whole USA players are much better.

Moore, Griner, Toliver and Turner will be playing this season in the WNBA, which has its opening weekend May 18-20. Meesseman, however, is sitting out this WNBA season as she prepares to play for Belgium in this fall's FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just noticed this in an article, Moore's team wins EuroLeague Final Four. This why WNBA teams don't waste 1st round picks on FIBA players other than on the whole USA players are much better.

Moore, Griner, Toliver and Turner will be playing this season in the WNBA, which has its opening weekend May 18-20. Meesseman, however, is sitting out this WNBA season as she prepares to play for Belgium in this fall's FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup.
Sounds familar but I think the size ( or lack of) the WNBA paycheck might be a bigger factor.
Taurasi opts for rest, to skip WNBA season

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I wonder why those teams in Europe keep playing top dollar for our lowly American players ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom