Is The No Look Pass Predictable? | The Boneyard

Is The No Look Pass Predictable?

Reaction Score
Maybe she cannot pass to someone she's looking at?!

LOL. I think "no look" is incorrect. "Looking away" is better. She is looking right at the player she wants the defender to cover. The eyes sell it. I like lookaways (when they work) much more than dunks.

Nika is one of many arriving in the next 2/3 seasons who have a shot at stardom. I'd hate to have her guarding me in scrimmages. How quick are those feet?

Reaction Score
Is the ball they use smaller? Either the ball is smaller or the rims are stiffer. Seems like in the college game so many point blank shots are rejected by the rim and in that video all you really have to do is get it up on the rim and it bounces or rolls in.

Reaction Score
Is the ball they use smaller? Either the ball is smaller or the rims are stiffer. Seems like in the college game so many point blank shots are rejected by the rim and in that video all you really have to do is get it up on the rim and it bounces or rolls in.

It's a highlight compilation, of course, the ball is going to bounce and roll in.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you are playing with her, you'd better keep your hands up and ready or you might end up with a ball in the face now and again.
Lol reminds me of when a reporter asked Kevin McHale about how he maintained his focus during the game, constantly working to get open. He said he had to because no one wants to get hit in the head from a Larry Bird pass.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just like a good QB in the NFL, a good passer in basketball will look away from where they intend to pass the ball in an effort to get defenders to make the wrong reaction, thereby opening up the court for a better scoring opportunity.

There are more and more players doing it, including Crystal, Paige & Nika. It does show how the game has changed since I learned how to play back in the dark ages, when we were taught to snap a sharp, accurate pass by looking the ball into your teammate’s hands.

If I attempted to look away while passing the ball, I’d probably throw it in the stands...:(

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you are playing with her, you'd better keep your hands up and ready or you might end up with a ball in the face now and again.
She will be following some great Uconn guards that used the "no-look" pass effectively. Let us not forget the current expert in that area--DANGER. According to KLS when she is not looking at you-----EXPECT the pass. I'm looking towards getting this new top guard on Uconn's team. She and Ania along with the current newbies just fills me with expectations.

Reaction Score
Just like a good QB in the NFL, a good passer in basketball will look away from where they intend to pass the ball in an effort to get defenders to make the wrong reaction, thereby opening up the court for a better scoring opportunity.

There are more and more players doing it, including Crystal, Paige & Nika. It does show how the game has changed since I learned how to play back in the dark ages, when we were taught to snap a sharp, accurate pass by looking the ball into your teammate’s hands.

If I attempted to look away while passing the ball, I’d probably throw it in the stands...:(
I believe when I played in the 40's, 50's, 70' (stoneage) the "no look" was used regularly by me an others before me. I't not new. Maybe, just maybe, these kids today use it better/faster/quicker--but then I slowed down, quickness is for the young. I too used the behind the back pass--frowned on by coaches because both pasees require teammates to know each other's abilities and readiness for those passes

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I really looked and looked and coud not find this July "film" anywhere on the board. When I looked at it it got me thinking. Maybe she cannot pass to someone she's looking at?! :eek:

The only girl on the court who could keep up with Nika in the Russia- Croatia game was the ref with the pony tail.. She was fast!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I believe when I played in the 40's, 50's, 70' (stoneage) the "no look" was used regularly by me an others before me. I't not new. Maybe, just maybe, these kids today use it better/faster/quicker--but then I slowed down, quickness is for the young. I too used the behind the back pass--frowned on by coaches because both pasees require teammates to know each other's abilities and readiness for those passes
Broadway, I’ve always known that you are way ahead of your time. ;)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I often used the "behind the back" and "no look" passes too. I believe the scorekeepers recorded them as turnovers. ;)

Reaction Score
Also requires really good peripheral vision.
Good peripheral vision is an important factor in basketball. I often observe players that seem to have poor peripheral vision. That is something you can't do much about except to keep rotating your head. If you are a point guard it will decide the difference between being average- good - or great. You can still be good. I know a few that are playing in the WNBA that do alright because they play within their abilities and just keep the game in front of them. But after a while, you can see that they have problems on both offense and defense in respect o seeing the entire floor.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Good peripheral vision is an important factor in basketball. I often observe players that seem to have poor peripheral vision. That is something you can't do much about except to keep rotating your head. If you are a point guard it will decide the difference between being average- good - or great. You can still be good. I know a few that are playing in the WNBA that do alright because they play within their abilities and just keep the game in front of them. But after a while, you can see that they have problems on both offense and defense in respect o seeing the entire floor.
I have a slightly different take on this. I think most young athletes have very good peripheral vision. The challenge for many is to quickly process all the information from their entire "field of vison" and then execute a pin point pass to a teammate filling the wing on a fast break, etc. Most of us have to focus on one thing at a time. The very best pg's can run the fast break, be aware of where all of their teammates are, as well as the defense, make the right decision with the ball and then execute it all in the matter of a few seconds.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Back to the commitment question. I think it is verbal. I cannot recall Geno making any statement about her. Can anyone find that? Mind you, I'm not saying we need worry. Just think given the timing it is Nov. when pen and paper collide.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Back to the commitment question. I think it is verbal. I cannot recall Geno making any statement about her. Can anyone find that? Mind you, I'm not saying we need worry. Just think given the timing it is Nov. when pen and paper collide.
The NCAA prohibits coaches from commenting on "prospective" recruits until they sign their LOI, and 2020 recruits cannot officially sign their LOI's until this coming fall. Recruits however, can comment as much as they like. Which is why Nika has posted photos and confirmed her intention to attend UConn on social media.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The NCAA prohibits coaches from commenting on "prospective" recruits until they sign their LOI, and 2020 recruits cannot officially sign their LOI's until this coming fall. Recruits however, can comment as much as they like. Which is why Nika has posted photos and confirmed her intention to attend UConn on social media.

Exactly so @oldude. As far as this verbal being solid ...

"Chris Dailey, Connecticut's associate head coach, wanted to know if Muhl would be interested in playing for the Huskies. And even though 4,170 miles and six time zones separate Zagreb from Storrs, Connecticut, Muhl knew all about coach Geno Auriemma's program and its 11 national championships.

"I was speechless," Muhl said of the email she received in January. "My mom [Roberta] cried. I cried, oh yeah, I cried. My dad [Darko] was speechless. We all just sat in silence in our living room for five minutes."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom