Is the Big East going down the drains? | The Boneyard

Is the Big East going down the drains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Know that we officially lost ND, Pitt and Cuse the Big East is honestly starting to look the A10. I can no longer say that the Big East is the best conference in basketball. This must hurt recruiting even more. We used to thrive off of molding players into superstars because of the competition level of the Big East. If I could choose... I would definitely have us join either the ACC(which clearly isn't gonna happen because their would be an uneven amount of football teams) or join the Big Ten which might work. Either that or the Big East needs to add another basketball power house team which most likely isn't gonna happen with the additions already made to are conference. I would be surprised if a major move wasn't made within the next 2 to 3 years. Something needs to happen fast.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The ACC released that they are not taking another school after Notre Lame.

I haven't heard anything about Big10 and UConn in over a year.

The logical thing would be to add another basketball program...Xavier?

caw

Reaction Score
The question for UConn comes down to this: does it bring a large enough market share to warrant inclusion? It has the facilities (soon in basketball) the programs and the support. Not to mention the name recognition. However, it doesn't muster much of a market share.

This is not to say UConn won't be included, but that's the issue (or at least it should be, you also have the pettiness of some schools in the area).

The secondary question comes down to what you are talking about. From a football perspective the previous conference sucked and this one does also but could be a step up.

From a basketball perspective I think it is a step down but it's not dreadful. It's a step up from the previous CUSA/A10/etc. but its not at the same level as the old BE. You could argue it's as strong as the past few years of the ACC/SEC though. The ACC got a ton stronger from a basketball POV.

Or do you mean the new BE is too unwieldy? That may be the case, but I think it is doable.

If the basketball only schools break off, then you have a different equation, but we aren't there yet and quite frankly they would be silly to do that.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The logical thing is to stop adding teams.

At some point, you just stop digging.

Reaction Score
It seems like their arn't many options for the Big East when it comes to adding teams basketball wise. Xavier would be nice. But not many other efficient basketball teams seem to be willing to leave.

Reaction Score
It may not be the worst thing ever. Cincinnati (I think they are going places with Mick Cronin), Villanova, Louisville, Marquette, Georgetown and UConn are six very good basketball schools. They are at least as good as the Big 12 or Big Ten over the last decade. The ACC is going to be the dominant conference no doubt, but the Big East won't be bad. They will still be a power conference in basketball.

Now there is a bit less power up at the top of the Big East, which may not be a bad thing if Ollie can sustain a decent level of success. Just think about the ACC teams that aren't Duke and UNC. Now they get to play insanely tough schedules and they get to enjoy watching some god awful calls go against them in favor of UNC and Duke.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not to be a , but....

Gone are Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, West Virginia and now we lose basketball games with ND and this is when we're asking the question?

Reaction Score
It may not be the worst thing ever. Cincinnati (I think they are going places with Mick Cronin), Villanova, Louisville, Marquette, Georgetown and UConn are six very good basketball schools. They are at least as good as the Big 12 or Big Ten over the last decade. The ACC is going to be the dominant conference no doubt, but the Big East won't be bad. They will still be a power conference in basketball.
This is where I usually say "I'll take Jim Calhoun against any team"...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It seems like their arn't many options for the Big East when it comes to adding teams basketball wise. Xavier would be nice. But not many other efficient basketball teams seem to be willing to leave.
Yes, this way we would have a hammerlock on the Cincinnati market.

Reaction Score
The ACC released that they are not taking another school after Notre Lame.

I haven't heard anything about Big10 and UConn in over a year.

The logical thing would be to add another basketball program...Xavier?

Georgetown makes the most sense

Reaction Score
I would love to see a Northeast basketball conference like Uconn, St Johns, Seton Hall, Rutgers,Umass,URI,BU,Temple,Villinova,Uhart,CCSU And lets just have have the tournament at the Mass Mutural center. Just a thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom