Is the Big 10 overrated? | The Boneyard

Is the Big 10 overrated?

Reaction Score
I've watched quite a few of the Big 10 games, and IMHO the only two teams that look like they should be ranked in the top 25 are MD and IA (and even IA is probably in the 18-22 range). Unlike the PAC-12 where the top 5 appear to be pretty good and beating up on each other, the Big 10 top 5 appear to be mediocre and beating up on each other.

Reaction Score
I've watched quite a few of the Big 10 games, and IMHO the only two teams that look like they should be ranked in the top 25 are MD and IA (and even IA is probably in the 18-22 range). Unlike the PAC-12 where the top 5 appear to be pretty good and beating up on each other, the Big 10 top 5 appear to be mediocre and beating up on each other.

I suggested something roughly similar on this board yesterday/last night (in Sundays Games (+thread?)), so I agree with you. Of course some folks could point to the Michigan State win over number 3 Oregon as part of a counter argument, but it looks more and more like a fluke win after Michigan State lost twice to un-ranked teams last week. IMO, Minnesota, Maryland, Iowa, and even Michigan State are overrated (and I say this despite being a Michigan State alum.)

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It is hard to know, exactly. I track who plays and who beats who and in looking at the B1G I think only Maryland and Iowa have really "done" anything notable. Although, in both cases, modestly notable.

In terms of "rankings" I agree that those are the only schools that have made a strong case (although, you have to look at everyone else ranked to place them). That said, some of the other schools, including Rutgers, are playing really well right now and, if they can keep it up will be dance deserving at the end of the season and have the potential to make a run.

One of the contributing factors, I think, is that the OOC schedules were, on the whole, blah. Actually, they were pretty blah across most of WBB. But that's what (at least for me) makes rating the B1G so difficult.

Reaction Score
Northwestern might surprise a few people. Lindsey Pulliam is an absolute joy to watch. Will see she in action against Lindsay Whalens Golden Gophers on 31 Jan. Should be a good game.

Reaction Score
I think it is very hard to say at this moment--always a bit of gut feel. It matters at the end of the season when the NCAA Tourney selection and seeding is made by the BIG BRAINS. Last year, I was shocked that Oregon State was given a #6 seed, but apparently, the losses OSU suffered last season in the PAC, and to ND & Duke, meant OSU was a middle of the pack seed. Maybe I was more alarmed that Tennessee was given a #3 seed? In any case, it all worked out the way it should have with respect to OSU & Tennessee. PAC-12 has performed pretty well the past 4 years in the NCAA Tournament. Not sure about the BIG 10's performance the past 4 years?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think it is very hard to say at this moment--always a bit of gut feel. It matters at the end of the season when the NCAA Tourney selection and seeding is made by the BIG BRAINS. Last year, I was shocked that Oregon State was given a #6 seed, but apparently, the losses OSU suffered last season in the PAC, and to ND & Duke, meant OSU was a middle of the pack seed. Maybe I was more alarmed that Tennessee was given a #3 seed? In any case, it all worked out the way it should have with respect to OSU & Tennessee. PAC-12 has performed pretty well the past 4 years in the NCAA Tournament. Not sure about the BIG 10's performance the past 4 years?
Last year Oregon State's resume was heavily weighted down by a weak nonconference SOS in which they lost the precious few games they played against quality teams. If it hadn't been for their split with UCLA and Oregon, they would've been flirting with bubble territory. Their scheduling just did them no favors at all. Losing to Arizona State in the quarterfinals of the P12 tournament didn't either.

But you're right, I'm forever grateful that, whatever the circumstances, they were sent to do the good lord's work in Knoxville :)

Plebe

Reaction Score
When it comes to judging which teams are over- or undervalued in the polls, Massey isn't the end-all be-all but it can be an indicator.

Here are the Massey rankings of the upper half of the Big Ten:
  • Maryland (16)
  • Iowa (18)
  • Indiana (24)
  • Michigan State (25)
  • Rutgers (28)
  • Michigan (39)
  • Minnesota (46)
If we give credence to Massey, then Minnesota is severely overranked at #18 in the AP poll, and Maryland (#9 AP) may be significantly overranked as well. Iowa (#17), Indiana (#25), Michigan State (#23) and Rutgers (#27) are ranked very close in both AP and Massey.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I just looked at the Massey Conference rankings and it looks like this
PAC-12 2.04
ACC 1.98
Big12 1.97
Big10 1.89
SEC 1.86
BigEast 1.82
MAC East 1.59
Mid-American 1.56
American 1.55
MAC West 1.53
The top 6 are pretty bunched, though my eye test says PAC/ACC a lot better than the other 4. Not sure why MAC has it's two divisions listed separately-I mean they are only 1 league with 1 automatic bid. Anyone know?

I guess the BigEast is buoyed by Marquette, DePaul and some degree Villanova.
The Big12 has Baylor, Iowa State (very underrated by us), Texas and a few decent teams (K St, Ok St, TCU, WV)
The Big10, while without a top echelon team #1-10 does have great depth of quality.

I have often been a vocal critic of the Big10 but this year I do think they are better than the SEC. Granted MSU is heads above anyone in the Big10. However the lowest ranked Big10 teams are tOSU 105, Penn St 110, Illinois 116 vs. Ala 114, Vandy 165, Florida 225 and Miss 226. Eeegads, they are bad!

Reaction Score
Both the Big 10 and the SEC are overrated as conferences as a whole. Maryland and Iowa seem NCAAT teams, but not final four material. Mississippi State and Tennessee also are good teams, but again, not final four. Obviously there’s still a lot of basketball to be played, but as of right now I don’t predict any of these four teams to be in the final four.

Reaction Score
Big 10 has consistently been the worst power conference the last 3 seasons. So to answer your question, yes.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Big 10 has consistently been the worst power conference the last 3 seasons.
But not this year. According to both RPI and Massey, the SEC is worse this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom