Is that conference realignment's faint heart beat that I'm hearing? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is that conference realignment's faint heart beat that I'm hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rutgers has a long tradition of losing. However, for what it's worth, they are in NYC dma, but "old money" really? They were a sinking ship financially, along with MD.

Reaction Score
Oh wait, Frank. That's right, UConn would be lucky to get basic carriage of the BTN in Connecticut because ratings aren't proven, eh? Frank, it will be easier to admit you're wrong than dig your hole any further.

You may be right that UConn has no appeal to the Big Ten. But to come here and claim that UConn is an unknown prospect with respect to its media reach in Connecticut is just plain, flat out wrong. It's moronic. You have stepped into UCONN's wheelhouse on this issue. It is the very best thing that UConn has going for it. At this point, you'd be better serve to inform yourself a little further.

Conn Huskies Surge in Popularity on SNY
December 5, 2012

With UConn Huskies football and the Men’s and Women’s basketball programs all sharing the same TV home for the first time, SNY has announced that television ratings for those programs have increased significantly across the board in the Hartford-New Haven Designated Market Area (DMA).

In its inaugural season on SNY, the undefeated UConn Women’s basketball program has already experienced growth in popularity as the team’s television ratings have increased 14 percent in the Hartford-New Haven DMA. SNY’s Women’s basketball coverage is averaging a 5.14 household rating through the first five games of the season, compared with the first five regional telecasts that aired last season. The network’s highest household rating of the 2012-13 season occurred on Nov. 23, when the Huskies defeated Marist College at the Paradise Jam tournament, and garnered a 5.86 household rating. SNY’s next UConn Women’s basketball telecast is on Thursday, Dec. 6 when the Huskies, ranked 2nd in the country, take on 10th ranked Penn State at 7 p.m.

The Men’s Basketball program is also off to a blazing start on SNY, averaging a 4.88 household rating in the Hartford-New Haven DMA for the 2012-13 season. The rating represents a 24 percent increase compared to the same period last year (3.92 household rating). The UConn Men’s basketball program’s next telecast on SNY is Friday, Dec. 7 at 7 p.m.

The UConn Huskies Football team also experienced significant television ratings gains this season by posting a huge 50 percent increase versus the 2011 season on SNY (3.10 household rating vs. 2.07 household rating). SNY’s highest rated UConn football game registered a 3.90 household rating when UConn defeated Louisville on Nov. 24.

“We’ve always believed that creating a single destination – one that provides consistency as well as the most comprehensive, in-depth coverage for UConn fans would result in increased visibility and popularity,” said Steve Raab, President of SNY. “We knew we would deliver UConn a broader national audience, but these substantial ratings gains across all of our UConn properties on a local level are another great development. We are excited about the potential to grow the brand even more as we continue our partnership with the University.”

That's sounds all well in good in a vacuum with a press release from SNY. However, you need to put this into context. The average BTN football game gets between a 5.0 and 6.0 rating across *all* metered Big Ten markets (Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Indy, etc.). Remember that this average is including those dogs**t Indiana vs. random MAC team September games and it's inclusive of all of the large Big Ten markets (not just the local rating for the applicable local team). Local metrics are more along the lines of 10.0 or more (in the cases of Ohio State and Nebraska, it's MUCH more). So, no, a 3.10 rating for football in Hartford alone (much less a broader NYC market measurement or multiple large markets in the way that the BTN is measured) really isn't in line with what the Big Ten wants for football. It's a much higher standard. Now, I'm not saying that Rutgers (the most applicable comparison to UConn) would provide that, either, but for whatever reason, the Big Ten has liked what it has seen from the ESPN/ESPN2 ratings for Rutgers games in the NYC market.

The basketball ratings for UConn look a bit more impressive, but once again, you have to compare it to the other targets that the Big Ten has considered and might be more than willing to wait for (e.g. UNC, Kansas, Oklahoma). What might seem like a good level of support in the Northeast is not the same as what you'd see in the Midwest or Southeast. Michigan basketball (which is their secondary sport) has been drawing better than the Red Wings and Pistons in the Detroit market and that's a great pro sports town. Indiana basketball blows everything away in the Indianapolis market in terms of ratings.

This isn't to knock UConn. I'm just saying that if you think that's enough, then you're sorely mistaken. Those numbers aren't the types of numbers that would spur the Big Ten to suddenly act. They just aren't.

pj

Reaction Score
People are missing that the Big Ten doesn't just want money - it wants *old* money. That is as big of a barrier for UConn in this case as the lack of AAU status (and it's something that won't ever change except for the passage of time).

I find that hard to believe. If it's true, we're out of luck, but when push comes to shove I doubt very much how "old" the money is will matter as much as how green it is.

There is ZERO urgency to expand now. I can't emphasize that enough.

This is UConn's difficulty at the moment -- no one needs to move. ESPN doesn't want or need a UConn move to the ACC because it has UConn's rights cheaply; the ACC doesn't need to bring in UConn except to pre-empt a UConn move to a Fox conference. The B12 is geographically remote and the B1G has no acceptable #16 to pair with UConn, and UConn is a neutral addition on its own. So the only thing that would push the B1G to consider UConn is an ACC invitation, and the only thing that would push the ACC to consider UConn is a B1G invitation.

The B12 could be a temporary home, but that would probably be unsatisfactory for both sides.

Reaction Score
Rutgers has a long tradition of losing. However, for what it's worth, they are in NYC dma, but "old money" really? They were a sinking ship financially, along with MD.

Yes, they are considered to be "old money" (and I say this as a Rutgers skeptic). Whether it's fair or not, showing that you've been playing at the highest level of football for 100-plus years is a big deal to the Big Ten. They want to show grainy old footage of schools on the BTN. This is a much bigger deal that a lot of people here are giving it credit for: in the eyes of the Big Ten, UConn's football history started about a decade ago and is a younger program than Boise State. Those Division I-AA days in the Yankee Conference effectively mean nothing.

Reaction Score
To me, if you look at the Big 10 expansion you see two things. The addition of Nebraska was aimed at strengthening a football conference that had been stuggling to maintain its brand vis-a-vis the SEC in particular but also a bit with the Big 12. The Big was interested in Texas but when that couldn't be worked out for lots of reasons including the Longhorn network, Nebraska was the next best option. The Cornhuskers were a traditional power program. Now fast forward to the Maryland/Rutgers move. It certainly wasn't about football prowess. Neither is a traditional power and one is a traditional laughing stock. But Maryland is located in the #8 TV market and draws on #27 Baltimore too. the other is in the #1 market. The Maryland move makes sense to me. Rutgers indicates that the Big, like lots of others, doesn't really understand the New York market which while huge is also more split than most. That is particularly true for a sport like college football, or college basketball for that matter, that is not a priority in the market. The Big will discover that their plan to not offer Maryland and Rutgers games in cable areas that don't pay extra for the Big network isn't exactly causing people to drop cable in protest, either. And it won't. As the old saying goes, when they say it isn't about the money, its about the money. Despite frank's protestations, Maryland and Rutgers were about the money. Nothing more. Nothing less.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Probably worth noting that SNY is alleged to get a $2.55 carriage rate. If you assume all UConn only carries the Hartford DMA, @ 996,500 households that is $30M per year, not counting advertising. If you recognize that UConn covers the entire state (SNY validating this) @ about 1.4m households that is $42M per year, plus advertising. Not chump change and certainly doable.

Reaction Score
If UConn's days in the Yankee Conference means nada what conference was Rutgers playing before UConn brokered a deal to get them in the Big East? Come on Frank. You and the BIG don';t make any sense. You mean that rugby/soccer game with Princeton 150+ years ago counts as something?

Heck UConn played Yale many times does that count as something?

Reaction Score
Frank, you wrote:

Potential isn't going to work here - UConn actually has to *show* that it's going to draw the types of TV ratings that could conceivably force basic carriage.

Hyperbole aside, your observation was misinformed. I really hope that you read up on UConn and its attractiveness to tv in the state. Maybe the Big Ten give's a rat's about it, or maybe they don't. I have no idea if the"Big Ten only wants old money" or the AD at Michigan is out of tune with political academia, or what not. These are all opinions. You are a student of the Big Ten. Take a peek at the number of cable HH's in NJ versus CT. Look at the NYC metro DMA. Take a peek at what the BTN is going thru in Philly. Check out UConn's SNY deal. You're a very bright guy that seems interested in this stuff. Once you have done that, maybe your opinion will have changed, maybe not. But you'll be standing on much firmer ground when you voice your opinion.

Reactions: pj

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Guys, I understand that you're going to put UConn in the most positive light possible (which is what you should be doing as fans), but to suggest that any of this is easily doable is far from the truth. $1.25 per subscriber per home is more than what the Big Ten is getting in places like Columbus and Lincoln where college football games literally get NFL-level ratings. Those are areas where a cable company will go out of business if they don't carry the BTN because that specific channel is that important. Are people seriously arguing that this is going to be the case even in just the state of Connecticut (much less the rest of the NYC market)? That's what this argument is stating.

Look - if any of this were as easy as you describe that the Big Ten can simply waltz in and start printing money with a simple addition, UConn would have been added a long time ago. The fact is that it's not anywhere near that easy. Potential isn't going to work here - UConn actually has to *show* that it's going to draw the types of TV ratings that could conceivably force basic carriage. The numbers are not proven for *football*. (Not men's basketball. Not women's basketball. What matters is *FOOTBALL*)

Once again, the Big 12 is UConn's realistic shot at a power conference for the next decade. That's who you need to be selling yourselves to. If UConn can hit on all of the academic and football TV ratings metrics over the next decade, then maybe its fortunes will change with respect to the Big Ten, but to suggest that it's close today isn't realistic. AAU status is far from a certainty for any school and BTN basic carriage isn't a certainty, either (unlike in places like North Carolina if the Big Ten waits for UNC or going for FSU or Oklahoma if the Big Ten is willing to look at non-AAU schools).

I think you are probably right, depsite the lynch mob lining up below. I'd love a Big 12 invite, and think it would provide UConn with an opportunity to prove its merit, or not, against top competition. If UConn was going bowling annually in the B1g 12, competing with KU for hoops titles, and gets that AAU slot, I think the B1G would become very interested.

By the way, I said some weeks back, that if a GOR challenge is in the works, the B1G could go for Texas, OU, KU and Colorado. Everyone forgets Colorado. It has AAU status, a football championship, a major TV market and rapidly growing demographics. If you are attacking a GOR anyway, it is definitely on the table. OU lacks AAU, but also has favorable demographics. Texas' demographics are off the charts. As a group, they'd all be continguous.

Reactions: pj

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm well aware that basketball can be fairly important for the success of a conference network and have argued as much. The contract for the new Big East coming in as high as it did for basketball (and no football) was also instructive.

However, in the case of the Big Ten, football is still the key even if you have a good basketball product. In the case of Maryland, which is probably more of a basketball school, it's still important that it has a long football history and, maybe even more critically, a location in the heart of some of the best football recruiting grounds outside of the Sun Belt. (New Jersey happens to be another one of those places, too.)

UConn has attributes to sell. However, what I think too many people here are doing is thinking that such attributes are first and foremost in what the Big Ten is (or should be) looking for. Yes, the Big Ten wants to make a lot of TV money, but its brand is also inextricably linked to old school football tradition (where even if you're not a football power, you better have a long history to draw upon). People are missing that the Big Ten doesn't just want money - it wants *old* money. That is as big of a barrier for UConn in this case as the lack of AAU status (and it's something that won't ever change except for the passage of time).

I've been telling anyone that would listen for months upon months that the ACC is much stronger than people gave it credit for. In particular, I didn't think UNC wanted to move at all, which would then weigh heavily on schools like UVA and GT. So, while it would have be fun to see the Big Ten add some other ACC schools, I certainly didn't expect it to occur (unlike a lot of WVU-based rumor mongerers). With those ACC and Big 12 schools off the table, I just don't see how further Big Ten expansion is realistic at this point. This is a league that waited at 11 schools for 20 years before expanding again. They're willing to wait again. There is ZERO urgency to expand now. I can't emphasize that enough.
Frank do you feel that ACC schools would be as loyal if ESPN didn't renegotiate it's contract so frequently over the last few years? ESPN protected its investment by propping up the league. Without that added cash, there would be no GOR.

Reaction Score
I have lost all interest in going to the BIG. Stop groveling and pointing out our value. If they can't see it, let's go in a different direction. I used to think Frank was on the ball but this lastest go-around leads me to believe neither Frank or the big know what they are looking for.

Reaction Score
I used to think Frank was on the ball but this lastest go-around leads me to believe neither Frank or the big know what they are looking for.
I think that's right in some ways. Nebraska made sense. Penn State made sense. Maryland's national championship in football was 1953. Come on. You're going to argue that's relevant? It is laughable. Rutgers was..well never...then he starts talking about Rutgers basketball...with a straight face he did it which was kind of impressive in its own way...the straight face, not Rutgers basketball. This was nothing more than a dollars and cents decision which they are now trying to argue is based on "tradition." I think Maryland could work out as a dollars and cents addition. Rutgers has been a drain on the Big East for the last 20 years. The Big will discover the meaning of the term leach very soon.

Reaction Score
UConn Fans,

First time poster here & a BIG fan in general. Over the past few months I've been aligned with a smaller number of BIG fans such as Buffalo Lion who believes UConn would be a great, overall addition to the BIG.

FWIW, to FranktheTank's defense, he realized what I knew long, long ago: the ACC, esp core members, would likely stay intact due to tradition and culture. He made a pitch for FSU (much newer ACC member), which I initially agreed with, but then viewed as quite unlikely without at least GTech and Va. I think any UNC talk to the BIG was delusional fantasy, yet very real in terms of conjecture via the national media and message boards. The biggest problem with an FSU addition, aside from bringing nearby schools who were not truly interested in BIG membership: was the ISOLATION, ISLAND effect. We're seeing WVa dealing with such displaced geography right now. Could their situation improve? Maybe, the first few years of a new conference are challenging, esp if the footprint is so spread out. WVa does not have say the hs football resources, among many others, of an aTm that instantly compete in any conference.

When it comes to expansion, a lot of BIG fans are absurdly money driven, football centric, and AAU biased, the latter being a more respectable stance to hold. But such a position goes flat when you consider Nebraska's recent ousting from this association. Moreover, too many BIG fans fail to understand the importance of cultural compatibility. Schools like GTech, Va, UNC weren't going to give up ACC tradition and ties for the BIG. If anything, BIG fans should have realized the difficulty of adding any ACC team due to the Md expansion - a lot of fans, alum disappointed about joining the BIG. And let's be honest, Md was the best target, in terms of cultural compatibility, to join the BIG.

In the future, my personal theory is that the BIG will likely jump from 14 to 18 then stand firm - indefinitely. In this scenario UConn, I believe, joins Kansas, OU and hopefully Texas. I do think the BIG will set aside AAU status in such a scenario, OU and UConn being non-AAU. Such an expansion would forever mark the BIG as formidable in the following manners:

1.) The conference would have every flagship school in its footprint, and some, even if not AAU. I also believe OU and UConn's academic upside would be very strong and inevitbaly AAU worthy, esp UConn.

2.) The big two sports: men's basketball and football, would be quite powerful & prestigious. UConn and KU would bring in 6 NCs. Texas and Ok bring in blue blood football & one of the sport's biggest rivalries. The OU-Neb rivalry, also significant, would be revived.

3.) Competitive balance on the football side - 9 team divisions: OU, Neb, Wisky, and Tx in the west would comfortably counter OSU, PSU, Mi and MSU in the east. As for basketball, I don't think divisions will ever be established, thus little concern here.

4.) Such an expansion would be nearly contiguous with only a slight break between NJ and Conn

5.) UConn does in fact have equal or greater influence on the NYC market than Rutgers. Why so many BIG fans fail to see this quantitative reality is beyond me. My opinion here is that perhaps BIG alum from the likes of Mi, OSU, PSU, Rutgers wish to corner the NYC market due to their stronger alumni presence here & therefore eliminate as much competition as possible. But of these alumni bases, all but Rutgers will always be more outsider type NYC imports - Conn, like Rutgers, will always border NYC and therefore share more intimate, historic cultural connectedness.

Some positives that help UConn with BIG membership - which I believe is much closer than some think:

1.) Conn is a great public education state, k-12, which clearly helps bolster UConn's inevitable AAU status

2.) Conn's general population and government will continue to value and improve UConn's academic standing

3.) Your athletic department, esp at the top, has strong BIG ties (Michigan)

4.) You have the best combined basketball program in the country, it's been this way for at least 15 years now

5.) UConn plays hockey, a sport valued by the BIG and this year's NCG was an all Conn final - amateur hockey in Conn is easily top five in terms of talent production

6.) Conn has a high per capita wealth population - when UConn puts quality programs in the field of competition, the fans show up

7.) Conn has condensed, easy to navigate geography that allows for great road trips in the eastern BIG, esp schools like PSU, Rutgers & Md. Also, further outlying BIG fans will probably make NYC a destination in addition to UConn match ups.

8.) Unlike the fantasy, mostly rumor based list of ACC targets pimped by too many BIG fans, most in your alumni-fan base would like to be in the BIG, most administrators as well

Some negatives working against UConn to the BIG (some you've heard too often, but I need to say):

1.) Football prestige and money: smaller venue that is off campus, FBS status is brief, northeast recruiting base is thin & arguably too competitive

2.) AAU status (though this is often overstated)

3.) BIG may only go 16 - period - thus remaining targets in a contiguous sense, based on my 18 scenario, are basketball first schools. Bottom line, BIG fans in general think football first.

Ultimately, I'm biased towards cultural compatibility, overall athletic departments and academics. Thus, UConn is an easy "yes" for me in terms of BIG membership.

Unfortunately, so many BIG fans need that AAU status and perception of football power. What too many BIG fans will utterly fail to admit is that BIG football on the highest level - NC pedigree - has been dim and continues to diminish. This trend started in the mid to late 70s. The BIG has one lousy outright NC, actual membership, since the early 70s. To further validate my point: the BIG had a miserable Rose Bowl record in the 80s, plus much of the last 13 years. We bounced back in the 90s, winning 7 of 10 Rose Bowls, & had some great teams in the early 2000s, but outside OSU, none won at the highest level. The Pac12 didn't help us much in the down years of the 80s because neither the BIG nor Pac12 won an AP NC, btw PSU's best era under JoP (80s) was under independent status. In the 90s, Miami, Nebraska, FSU & the inevitable rise of the SEC dominated while the BIG was locked into the Rose Bowl during a down decade for the Pac12 - the opposite of the 80s.

Lastly, the BIG, as a whole, continues to struggle in the amateur football sense - not enough spring football & 7-7s, both which can be pushed footprint wide - shifting demographics is a horrible excuse BIG fans often make. BIG football can dramatically improve via long-term investments into hs football culture & coaching, no other way to put it. But, Ohio, future BIG states Md and Jersey, and to a lesser degree Indiana & Nebraska (really small population) have committed necessary resources for year round football & these results are discernible in annual recruiting rankings. This improved, year-round football culture needs to spread conference wide - the population is mostly here, esp in Mi, Ill and Pa.

Good luck, hope you join the BIG soon.

pj

Reaction Score
Great post Gfunk. If the B1G could pull off Texas/OU/Kansas/UConn, what an awesome conference that would be.

To pull it off, you probably need Fox to lean on Pac to take Texas Tech / OSU / K State / Iowa State for a package deal. Then all the B12 state schools have a home and Fox has a strong position vis a vis ESPN.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
As much as I like the post, not gonna happen. For one thing, as PJ noted, OK has an OSU noose. And TX has two nooses in Baylor (politically powerful in TX) and Texas Tech (there were released documents between the B1G and Texas in which Texas noted their "Technical" problem). And Kansas probably has a noose in KSU. Add to that the fact that I can't see UT / OK wanting to join another teams conference and taking a backseat to UM, OSU, plus winter weather, and I would say that the chances are about 2% of OU, UT joining. Then finally recall that Texas has the LHN which they spent too much timing fighting for to just give up.

Someone on the board posted an interview with Delaney and he explained that all conference need to have be in 2 regions to be successful. Well I think they have picked out their regions: Midwest / East Coast. I don't know what to call Texas, but its not midwestern and I don't think the B1G wants to have three cultural identities, especially one as strong (and doochy) as UT's.

Plus I don't have 15 years for this to be sorted out which is what UT/OK would require. I say add us, beg MO and be done with it.

Reaction Score
I'll offer another outside perspective. I don't have any insider info but have followed CR closely.

I think UConn is a great property. It's a flagship school with great athletics and is the only such school in New England. It also is part of/borders NYC. While the B1G was apparently looking first to ACC schools for further expansion, I have to believe they would see some positives about UConn.

My thoughts on AAU membership (which I do know something about as a well funded researcher): it probably isn't coming to any new school soon. It moves really slowly. In addition, the AAU currently seems focused on removing schools on the roster it feels no longer belong. I wouldn't count on AAU status in the next several years. However, UConn is clearly an excellent academic school that participates in research. I think it is certainly possible AAU status could be overlooked for such an academically compatible school.

My thoughts on the GORs (and here is where I see the problem for UConn): If the GOR's are really strong and mean something, you have no partner school in terms of expansion. I don't think the B1G will add one school. I think that if the GOR's are iron clad, you're only hope is the B1G convincing Mizzu to leave the SEC and taking you as a pair. I just do not see another school available that would be of interest to the B1G that is not trapped by a GOR.

If the GOR's mean nothing, and schools are free to move, I think UConn moves back down the list behind current B12 and ACC schools (I would recommend the B1G take you, but all the reporting seems to indicate they have eyes for ACC and B12 schools).

Best of luck. I hope to see you in the ACC, B1G or B12 soon!

Reaction Score
Great post Gfunk. If the B1G could pull off Texas/OU/Kansas/UConn, what an awesome conference that would be.

To pull it off, you probably need Fox to lean on Pac to take Texas Tech / OSU / K State / Iowa State for a package deal. Then all the B12 state schools have a home and Fox has a strong position vis a vis ESPN.

I agree. When I proposed my expansion theory on Frank the Tank a month or two ago, I got slammed because I put most of the Big12 leftovers in the SEC.

Clearly FOX is tied more to the BIG and Pac12, thus your point is quite valid - the leftovers should join Colorado-Utah as an eastern block of the Pac12. If the Pac12 needs to get to 18: TTech, OSU, Iowa State, KState, TCU and maybe the rise of UNLV or Boise State gets them to 18. I think Baylor would end up in the SEC and be a Tx combo with aTm.

But let's say the above happens, the BIG and Pac12 could re-introduce last year's partnership again - and the compatibility would be even stronger.

Just to make myself clear here, I truly realize these are my opinions : ). No more, no less.

pj

Reaction Score
But let's say the above happens, the BIG and Pac12 could re-introduce last year's partnership again - and the compatibility would be even stronger.

Yes. There could be a 1-weekend Pac-B1G challenge in football. In-state or neighbor rivalries -- Texas-Texas Tech, OU-OSU, Kansas-KU, Iowa-Iowa State, Nebraska-Colorado -- plus more distant ones -- Michigan-UCLA, Ohio State-USC, Northwestern-Stanford, Wisconsin-Oregon, Penn State-Washington. Spread the games over 3-5 days. Would be a fun weekend.

Reaction Score
As much as I like the post, not gonna happen. For one thing, as PJ noted, OK has an OSU noose. And TX has two nooses in Baylor (politically powerful in TX) and Texas Tech (there were released documents between the B1G and Texas in which Texas noted their "Technical" problem). And Kansas probably has a noose in KSU. Add to that the fact that I can't see UT / OK wanting to join another teams conference and taking a backseat to UM, OSU, plus winter weather, and I would say that the chances are about 2% of OU, UT joining. Then finally recall that Texas has the LHN which they spent too much timing fighting for to just give up.

Someone on the board posted an interview with Delaney and he explained that all conference need to have be in 2 regions to be successful. Well I think they have picked out their regions: Midwest / East Coast. I don't know what to call Texas, but its not midwestern and I don't think the B1G wants to have three cultural identities, especially one as strong (and doochy) as UT's.

Plus I don't have 15 years for this to be sorted out which is what UT/OK would require. I say add us, beg MO and be done with it.

Loud and clear WestHartHusk. But, I've been surprised by the reaction of OU fans to the Omaha report that the "BIG did homework on Vanderbilt, OU, KU" - see Scout - OU football board. OU has strong history with Nebraska, a KU to BIG membership may put a slight majority of OU fans in favor of the BIG, two former Big8 rivals - UT would be icing on the cake., though the ties are not as deep conference wise, but the Red Rivalry game has long history.

I don't think OSU is as tied to OU now, esp if Pac12 membership was certain, along with ISU, KSU, TTech and TCU. Such a group, plus Colorado, former Big8-12 mate would condense travel costs in a Pac12 scenario, revive tradition & give the eastern Pac12 strong identity & solidarity. OU and OSU can play each other annually in every sport, esp football.

I think I read somewhere the Big12 can dissolve the GOR if they have perhaps 7 members decide against further membership.

Ultimately, it never made sense for the ACC to dissolve in a super conference scenario. The Big12 is geographically ripe for dissolution because it blends or borders the Pac12, BIG and SEC. Breaking up the ACC would have been a hot mess.

If say my BIG to 18 & Pac12 to 18 scenario magically unfolds - WVa & Baylor make it into the SEC, Cincy joins the ACC & ND finally goes full time football - ACC.

I'm not sure what happens to a handful of FBS programs.

Honestly, FBS needs to be trimmed down to 64-68 teams anyways - less than a third of these teams will constantly play for the NC - no more, and maybe less.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Loud and clear WestHartHusk. But, I've been surprised by the reaction of OU fans to the Omaha report that the "BIG did homework on Vanderbilt, OU, KU" - see Scout - OU football board. OU has strong history with Nebraska, a KU to BIG membership may put a slight majority of OU fans in favor of the BIG, two former Big8 rivals - UT would be icing on the cake., though the ties are not as deep conference wise, but the Red Rivalry game has long history.

I don't think OSU is as tied to OU now, esp if Pac12 membership was certain, along with ISU, KSU, TTech and TCU. Such a group, plus Colorado, former Big8-12 mate would condense travel costs in a Pac12 scenario, revive tradition & give the eastern Pac12 strong identity & solidarity. OU and OSU can play each other annually in every sport, esp football.

I think I read somewhere the Big12 can dissolve the GOR if they have perhaps 7 members decide against further membership.

Ultimately, it never made sense for the ACC to dissolve in a super conference scenario. The Big12 is geographically ripe for dissolution because it blends or borders the Pac12, BIG and SEC. Breaking up the ACC would have been a hot mess.

If say my BIG to 18 & Pac12 to 18 scenario magically unfolds - WVa & Baylor make it into the SEC, Cincy joins the ACC & ND finally goes full time football - ACC.

I'm not sure what happens to a handful of FBS programs.

Honestly, FBS needs to be trimmed down to 64-68 teams anyways - less than a third of these teams will constantly play for the NC - no more, and maybe less.

Definitely not the craziest thing on Conference Realignment, and I would love to see it happy. I suppose time will tell. If we may ask, who is your school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom