Is that conference realignment's faint heart beat that I'm hearing? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Is that conference realignment's faint heart beat that I'm hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Definitely not the craziest thing on Conference Realignment, and I would love to see it happy. I suppose time will tell. If we may ask, who is your school?

I graduated from Minnesota, live in Mpls. I root for my alma mater in all but football n hoops - huge hockey fan & damn I love me some women's volleyball, hot athletes & the BIG is really strong, Minnesota included. I became a Michigan State basketball fan long ago - 79 NCG - yes I'm a bit older. It was the first big tv sporting event I watched as a child - my family became split during this game. I would go on to root for all things Magic, brothers loyally followed Bird, thus Lakers-Celtics dominated the tv set during the 80s.

I was, emphasize "was" a PSU football fan like my dad, but my loyalty evaporated after the Sandusky mess - I just don't get the vast majority of their fan base anymore. My dad & I took JoPa out for lunch when my dad was a sports reporter. Pops covered all things BIG for years - esp football, hockey and Clem Haskins era basketball. I watched a PSU spring game back in 91. I got into PSU football especially after they upset cocky Miami, their BIG membership solidified my loyalty for years. But, I'm without a football team right now - starting to follow Nebraska more & could see myself rooting for Rutgers because I long ago realized Jersey has great hs football, esp for a state north of the Mason-Dixon line. Rutgers has great upside, they've simply never put themselves into an excellent situation - all that changes from 2014 and beyond.

PS Big fan of UConn & Calhoun, esp when Khalid El-Amin played there - he's a Mpls native. I use to frequent his fish and chicken shack in North Mpls. He's a cult hero in Minnesota amateur sports - lead his team to 3 consecutive state championships. I also follow college soccer, thus UConn registers heavy due to strong tradition.

Reaction Score
I'll offer another outside perspective. I don't have any insider info but have followed CR closely.

I think UConn is a great property. It's a flagship school with great athletics and is the only such school in New England. It also is part of/borders NYC. While the B1G was apparently looking first to ACC schools for further expansion, I have to believe they would see some positives about UConn.

My thoughts on AAU membership (which I do know something about as a well funded researcher): it probably isn't coming to any new school soon. It moves really slowly. In addition, the AAU currently seems focused on removing schools on the roster it feels no longer belong. I wouldn't count on AAU status in the next several years. However, UConn is clearly an excellent academic school that participates in research. I think it is certainly possible AAU status could be overlooked for such an academically compatible school.

My thoughts on the GORs (and here is where I see the problem for UConn): If the GOR's are really strong and mean something, you have no partner school in terms of expansion. I don't think the B1G will add one school. I think that if the GOR's are iron clad, you're only hope is the B1G convincing Mizzu to leave the SEC and taking you as a pair. I just do not see another school available that would be of interest to the B1G that is not trapped by a GOR.

If the GOR's mean nothing, and schools are free to move, I think UConn moves back down the list behind current B12 and ACC schools (I would recommend the B1G take you, but all the reporting seems to indicate they have eyes for ACC and B12 schools).

Best of luck. I hope to see you in the ACC, B1G or B12 soon!

You raise the same point I buried in my post. I do sense some teeth with the GORs, esp the ACC - theirs is obviously brand new. Which is precisely why I think the BIG will jump from 14 to 18. The BIG has to be thinking Big12 at this point.

Honestly, I never got the ACC doomsday scenarios - the Big12 will likely collapse. The Big8-SWC marriage was formed out of reluctance-incompatibility to begin with & the recent mass exodus was huge - repercussions still not measured. As I've also stated, the Big12 footprint either shares or borders the remaining power conferences. In fact it's the only conference that has such distinction. In other words, it could be sliced and diced into the BIG, Big12, SEC, Pac12 and ACC.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
UConn Fans,

First time poster here & a BIG fan in general. Over the past few months I've been aligned with a smaller number of BIG fans such as Buffalo Lion who believes UConn would be a great, overall addition to the BIG.

FWIW, to FranktheTank's defense, he realized what I knew long, long ago: the ACC, esp core members, would likely stay intact due to tradition and culture. He made a pitch for FSU (much newer ACC member), which I initially agreed with, but then viewed as quite unlikely without at least GTech and Va. I think any UNC talk to the BIG was delusional fantasy, yet very real in terms of conjecture via the national media and message boards. The biggest problem with an FSU addition, aside from bringing nearby schools who were not truly interested in BIG membership: was the ISOLATION, ISLAND effect. We're seeing WVa dealing with such displaced geography right now. Could their situation improve? Maybe, the first few years of a new conference are challenging, esp if the footprint is so spread out. WVa does not have say the hs football resources, among many others, of an aTm that instantly compete in any conference.

When it comes to expansion, a lot of BIG fans are absurdly money driven, football centric, and AAU biased, the latter being a more respectable stance to hold. But such a position goes flat when you consider Nebraska's recent ousting from this association. Moreover, too many BIG fans fail to understand the importance of cultural compatibility. Schools like GTech, Va, UNC weren't going to give up ACC tradition and ties for the BIG. If anything, BIG fans should have realized the difficulty of adding any ACC team due to the Md expansion - a lot of fans, alum disappointed about joining the BIG. And let's be honest, Md was the best target, in terms of cultural compatibility, to join the BIG.

In the future, my personal theory is that the BIG will likely jump from 14 to 18 then stand firm - indefinitely. In this scenario UConn, I believe, joins Kansas, OU and hopefully Texas. I do think the BIG will set aside AAU status in such a scenario, OU and UConn being non-AAU. Such an expansion would forever mark the BIG as formidable in the following manners:

1.) The conference would have every flagship school in its footprint, and some, even if not AAU. I also believe OU and UConn's academic upside would be very strong and inevitbaly AAU worthy, esp UConn.

2.) The big two sports: men's basketball and football, would be quite powerful & prestigious. UConn and KU would bring in 6 NCs. Texas and Ok bring in blue blood football & one of the sport's biggest rivalries. The OU-Neb rivalry, also significant, would be revived.

3.) Competitive balance on the football side - 9 team divisions: OU, Neb, Wisky, and Tx in the west would comfortably counter OSU, PSU, Mi and MSU in the east. As for basketball, I don't think divisions will ever be established, thus little concern here.

4.) Such an expansion would be nearly contiguous with only a slight break between NJ and Conn

5.) UConn does in fact have equal or greater influence on the NYC market than Rutgers. Why so many BIG fans fail to see this quantitative reality is beyond me. My opinion here is that perhaps BIG alum from the likes of Mi, OSU, PSU, Rutgers wish to corner the NYC market due to their stronger alumni presence here & therefore eliminate as much competition as possible. But of these alumni bases, all but Rutgers will always be more outsider type NYC imports - Conn, like Rutgers, will always border NYC and therefore share more intimate, historic cultural connectedness.

Some positives that help UConn with BIG membership - which I believe is much closer than some think:

1.) Conn is a great public education state, k-12, which clearly helps bolster UConn's inevitable AAU status

2.) Conn's general population and government will continue to value and improve UConn's academic standing

3.) Your athletic department, esp at the top, has strong BIG ties (Michigan)

4.) You have the best combined basketball program in the country, it's been this way for at least 15 years now

5.) UConn plays hockey, a sport valued by the BIG and this year's NCG was an all Conn final - amateur hockey in Conn is easily top five in terms of talent production

6.) Conn has a high per capita wealth population - when UConn puts quality programs in the field of competition, the fans show up

7.) Conn has condensed, easy to navigate geography that allows for great road trips in the eastern BIG, esp schools like PSU, Rutgers & Md. Also, further outlying BIG fans will probably make NYC a destination in addition to UConn match ups.

8.) Unlike the fantasy, mostly rumor based list of ACC targets pimped by too many BIG fans, most in your alumni-fan base would like to be in the BIG, most administrators as well

Some negatives working against UConn to the BIG (some you've heard too often, but I need to say):

1.) Football prestige and money: smaller venue that is off campus, FBS status is brief, northeast recruiting base is thin & arguably too competitive

2.) AAU status (though this is often overstated)

3.) BIG may only go 16 - period - thus remaining targets in a contiguous sense, based on my 18 scenario, are basketball first schools. Bottom line, BIG fans in general think football first.

Ultimately, I'm biased towards cultural compatibility, overall athletic departments and academics. Thus, UConn is an easy "yes" for me in terms of BIG membership.

Unfortunately, so many BIG fans need that AAU status and perception of football power. What too many BIG fans will utterly fail to admit is that BIG football on the highest level - NC pedigree - has been dim and continues to diminish. This trend started in the mid to late 70s. The BIG has one lousy outright NC, actual membership, since the early 70s. To further validate my point: the BIG had a miserable Rose Bowl record in the 80s, plus much of the last 13 years. We bounced back in the 90s, winning 7 of 10 Rose Bowls, & had some great teams in the early 2000s, but outside OSU, none won at the highest level. The Pac12 didn't help us much in the down years of the 80s because neither the BIG nor Pac12 won an AP NC, btw PSU's best era under JoP (80s) was under independent status. In the 90s, Miami, Nebraska, FSU & the inevitable rise of the SEC dominated while the BIG was locked into the Rose Bowl during a down decade for the Pac12 - the opposite of the 80s.

Lastly, the BIG, as a whole, continues to struggle in the amateur football sense - not enough spring football & 7-7s, both which can be pushed footprint wide - shifting demographics is a horrible excuse BIG fans often make. BIG football can dramatically improve via long-term investments into hs football culture & coaching, no other way to put it. But, Ohio, future BIG states Md and Jersey, and to a lesser degree Indiana & Nebraska (really small population) have committed necessary resources for year round football & these results are discernible in annual recruiting rankings. This improved, year-round football culture needs to spread conference wide - the population is mostly here, esp in Mi, Ill and Pa.

Good luck, hope you join the BIG soon.
I'll offer another outside perspective. I don't have any insider info but have followed CR closely.

I think UConn is a great property. It's a flagship school with great athletics and is the only such school in New England. It also is part of/borders NYC. While the B1G was apparently looking first to ACC schools for further expansion, I have to believe they would see some positives about UConn.

My thoughts on AAU membership (which I do know something about as a well funded researcher): it probably isn't coming to any new school soon. It moves really slowly. In addition, the AAU currently seems focused on removing schools on the roster it feels no longer belong. I wouldn't count on AAU status in the next several years. However, UConn is clearly an excellent academic school that participates in research. I think it is certainly possible AAU status could be overlooked for such an academically compatible school.

My thoughts on the GORs (and here is where I see the problem for UConn): If the GOR's are really strong and mean something, you have no partner school in terms of expansion. I don't think the B1G will add one school. I think that if the GOR's are iron clad, you're only hope is the B1G convincing Mizzu to leave the SEC and taking you as a pair. I just do not see another school available that would be of interest to the B1G that is not trapped by a GOR.

If the GOR's mean nothing, and schools are free to move, I think UConn moves back down the list behind current B12 and ACC schools (I would recommend the B1G take you, but all the reporting seems to indicate they have eyes for ACC and B12 schools).

Best of luck. I hope to see you in the ACC, B1G or B12 soon!
see we need more posters like you. Welcome to the yard!!

Reaction Score
Guys you need to focus. Think about the things we know

1) the B1G is willing to wait. If 2015 comes and goes, the next TV deal will be done without additions. That could mean 10 years or more before next move
2) the next schools need to add value otherwise there is zero reason the add
3) B1G does care about academics. Only way this doesn't matter is if it is a school needed to get the one they do want. Even then the school must want to be an academic powerhouse
4) unless it is a national brand (Nebraska) it must be able to carry a large TV and recruiting area
5) it must be a peer institution, no private schools. Prefer main state university. AAU preferred, but that is a very small group and most are not eligible.
6) could be North East, mid Atlantic or Mid South and be contiguous
7) it can not be in an area already covered by existing school
8) if school is a fixer upper it needs an existing B1G alumni base to help support
9) football is #1 revenue driver and the rest is bonus money. MBB, LAX and Hockey are considerations for BTN programming but never a primary reason to add

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The only consistent driver of expansion has been TV value. UConn's is currently $2MM a year.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The only consistent driver of expansion has been TV value. UConn's is currently $2MM a year.
Don't know why I'm bothering to respond. It's only $2MM relative to the AAC, and even that was more the result of craptastic negotiating clauses than market value. It would be considerably more as part of the B1G or ACC.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Meh, it just seems like the goalposts are always moving. When academics are important, someone decides recent success is more important. When we can show we have recent success then someone decides to take someone else because eyeballs are more important even though in the former case we had better academics and markets. OK football tradition is the one thing we don't have. We tick all the other boxes though. You cannot tell me that if all the conferences were disbanded and there were going to be 5 conferences that we wouldn't be more worthy than at least a dozen other teams that are in a power 5 conference now.

Reaction Score
UConn got $1.2 million a year for 17 women's basketball games and some women's bb coaching shows.

Yet some self-loathing fans really believe UConn's media rights are worth $2 million a year?

As noted above, SNY got several hundred thousand more CT subscribers at about $2.40 a sub per month. Mets content alone wouldn't do it in central or eastern Connecticut. Yet, there's SNY on cable raking in the sub fees.

I wonder if SNY was asked if it could buy UConn's tv rights to women's bb, men's bb, and fb for $2 million, would it? That would be a difficult decision for them. Or not.

The problem is that they were never given the chance and UConn never pulled a Texas/LHN, even though it could have. UConn is the only flagship, footprint school in the AAC. The only one that truly commands its market. Thankfully, even Nelson knows UConn's value is far greater than $2 million, and his response was an emotional lashing out at how UConn has been hosed in the AAC deal.

Reaction Score
GFunk, " But, I'm without a football team right now - starting to follow Nebraska more & could see myself rooting for Rutgers because I long ago realized Jersey has great hs football, esp for a state north of the Mason-Dixon line. Rutgers has great upside, they've simply never put themselves into an excellent situation - all that changes from 2014 and beyond."

I know this is a radical idea, but you ever consider rooting for your alma mater?

Reaction Score
GFunk, " But, I'm without a football team right now - starting to follow Nebraska more & could see myself rooting for Rutgers because I long ago realized Jersey has great hs football, esp for a state north of the Mason-Dixon line. Rutgers has great upside, they've simply never put themselves into an excellent situation - all that changes from 2014 and beyond."

I know this is a radical idea, but you ever consider rooting for your alma mater?

^ I am certainly laughing.

Never been much of CF fan, just certain big programs. Minnesota Hockey or MSU Basketball tests my nerves, big time, but not any CF program. But I enjoyed Minnesota somewhat during the Mason years & Holtz' brief run. I've never experienced what my father's generation had - Minnesota on top, a NC. Despite my father's powerful memories of the 1960-61 Minnesota team, I don't get how they won it all that year. Thus, my next points raise my distrust for CF.

Unless there is an 8 team playoff, my interest in CF won't be too great, which is partly why I follow expansion. As I & various other posters-message boards have suggested, FBS needs to cap at 72 teams - max. The ranking system, popularity contest, poll politics, it all just turns me, at least, off. Minnesota finished 8-2 in 1960-61, yet they still won a consensus NC. Such has happened too often during the history of top level CF.

Reaction Score
Gfunk - try the Gophers on again. Coach Kill is easy to like because he believes hard work is the most important ingredient to success. The are getting past the Brewster era.

Reaction Score
I forget the source, but in response to a question of whether the GORs would end realignment, the response was: "wait, so you really think Texas signed up for something they couldn't get out of?"

Reaction Score
Coach Kill IS a good man. Hope he is able to revive Gopher football.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Gfunk - try the Gophers on again. Coach Kill is easy to like because he believes hard work is the most important ingredient to success. The are getting past the Brewster era.
How is his health? Seems like he has a seizure during a game every year. I would imagine the stress and hours dedicated to his job would not be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom