Is shonn a pro? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is shonn a pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Saying Shonn isn't explosive enough is like saying the only thing Gibbs needs to improve is his FT shooting.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
He's athletic and versatile enough to warrant some consideration as an undersized power forward...but I suspect he's just too light and he doesn't have any place to put another 20 pounds of muscle.

He's more skilled than Jeff Adrien, but Jeff was a legit 245.
I asked the question tonight watching the game if Miller is better than Adrien was as a senior. I think it's debateable. Jeff was hitting that elbow jumper pretty consistently at this point and was probably a slight edge on the glass, but Millers back to the basket game has the nod.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Shonn's biggest problem is he's not a very good three-point shooter. He tried to be one last year at Cornell and it was a terrible idea. It was like the year Wade Boggs tried to be a power hitter, except Boggs hit homers and Shonn hit bricks. In his three years at Cornell, Shonn was a 27% three-point shooter, which is bad.

If he could develop some sort of 37ish percent long-range guy, he'd have a much better shot. I think he's a D-League guy who can get a few 10-day contracts and thats not a bad way to live.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Who knows if he even wants to play in the pros? Dude went to Cornell. Maybe he wants to work for Dunder Mifflin

Shonn Miller's intellect >>>>> Andy Bernard's intellect. Dude would probably be making six figures if he wasn't playing pro ball.

Reaction Score
Shonn's biggest problem is he's not a very good three-point shooter. He tried to be one last year at Cornell and it was a terrible idea. It was like the year Wade Boggs tried to be a power hitter, except Boggs hit homers and Shonn hit bricks. In his three years at Cornell, Shonn was a 27% three-point shooter, which is bad.

If he could develop some sort of 37ish percent long-range guy, he'd have a much better shot. I think he's a D-League guy who can get a few 10-day contracts and thats not a bad way to live.
Yep. I agree. He did have that one game against Tulsa were he looked great shooting 3's but since he has been pretty far off. If he could add that to his game with his post game and ability to take his man off the dribble at times he could make the NBA. He isn't a good enough of a rebounder and too small to play PF at the next level. He would have to develop his outside shot to have a chance to play SF at the next level.

Reaction Score
Let's see what he does in the post season to rise his stock- as of now no- but his shooting percentage and tournament time could change that

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Yep. I agree. He did have that one game against Tulsa were he looked great shooting 3's but since he has been pretty far off. If he could add that to his game with his post game and ability to take his man off the dribble at times he could make the NBA.

Sadly, I think that ship's sailed. Maybe he could be a gigantic 2?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
If he had a more active, consistent motor, I see a lot of similarities to Kawhi Leonard when he was in college. Who knows if he could develop the same way that Kawhi has in the NBA, but I think he has the athleticism and has almost identical physical characteristics

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
potential, he'd have to take the same path as his new mentor and work very hard to play in the NBA

Reaction Score
He's definitely got an outside shot to actually play on an NBA team a little bit for the next 2-4 years. Who knows, he might get streaky with his long range shot or he might just be able to impress somebody with his intensity and athleticism. It's possible because sometimes a guy just ends up on the right team when they make a trade or suffer an injury and gets to play. Like Donald Sloan in Brooklyn, TJ McConnell in Philly, sometimes the cards just fall into the right place and you end up with a shot. I don't think Miller has a shot at a long career in the NBA, but I think he has an explosiveness, toughness, and level head that could make him one of those guys that simply works his ass off enough to sneak by

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
He can't shoot well enough to stick in the NBA. For his size he'd need to be a knock down shooter to stick in the NBA. Europe or China for sure he'll be a pro.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Shonn Miller is not an NBA player. Do any of you watch the NBA?

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I think if Miller could improve his handle and jumpshot he's certainly athletic enough to play in the NBA. He'd be the perfect size 3.

Reaction Score
If he can get a better handle, a jumper, and a three point shot I think he can be
agreed, if he can step out and hit a consistent 3 then maybe; he's a small ball 4 that would have to be able to stretch a d and shoot 38% from deep

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
He's definitely got an outside shot to actually play on an NBA team a little bit for the next 2-4 years. Who knows, he might get streaky with his long range shot or he might just be able to impress somebody with his intensity and athleticism. It's possible because sometimes a guy just ends up on the right team when they make a trade or suffer an injury and gets to play. Like Donald Sloan in Brooklyn, TJ McConnell in Philly, sometimes the cards just fall into the right place and you end up with a shot. I don't think Miller has a shot at a long career in the NBA, but I think he has an explosiveness, toughness, and level head that could make him one of those guys that simply works his ass off enough to sneak by

No he doesn't. A 3-pointer in college is a midrange shot in the NBA. At Miller's height and size, he needs to take those shots more consistently, let alone make them. As much as I like Miller, he is undersized to play with his back to the basket so much.

Oh and his motor? Just because he doesn't smile or act smug on the court all the time, doesn't mean he doesn't have consistent energy.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Somewhere, for sure. Before the season I thought he had a small chance to sneak onto the NBA's radar, but he's a couple inches too small.

Sounds like a Steve Earle song. Hat tip to anyone who gets that reference. @August_West might.

Reaction Score
I definitely think he has the ability and explosivness to play in the NBA. Like most ppl have said, his outside shot and dribble drive will need improvement, along with maybe putting on 20 more pounds of muscle. If this does happen, (6'7 230 with an outside game) would you compare him to a young Kawhi Leonard? Or are his skills never going to be on that level?

Reaction Score
I definitely think he has the ability and explosivness to play in the NBA. Like most ppl have said, his outside shot and dribble drive will need improvement, along with maybe putting on 20 more pounds of muscle. If this does happen, (6'7 230 with an outside game) would you compare him to a young Kawhi Leonard? Or are his skills never going to be on that level?
6'7, 230 is the exact same size as Draymond Green, who also wasn't expected to succeed in the League. If Miller adds the outside shot I think he'd be even more athletic and explosive then Green is, and could definitely stick as a stretch four off the bench.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
He's athletic and versatile enough to warrant some consideration as an undersized power forward...but I suspect he's just too light and he doesn't have any place to put another 20 pounds of muscle.

He's more skilled than Jeff Adrien, but Jeff was a legit 245.
And JA is long 7' wingspan.

Reaction Score
I think Shonn has an outside chance of being an NBA player. He is a versatile defender with great athleticism. If he can consistently hit a mid range jumper that extends out to the 3 point line there is room for him on an NBA bench. His value will come with his defense and rebounding though. If those aspects aren't top notch then his NBA aspirations are nil

Reaction Score
To answer the OP question hell yeah he will a pro and a very good one, will he be in the NBA highly unlikely. I would love to see Shonn get a training camp invite with the Spurs, they always seem to pluck guys out of nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom