Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yep.

Hit in the face or something.

Reaction Score
EdDaigneault6:34pm via TweetDeck
Rodney Purvis took a shot to the mouth and wound up with three stitches in his lower lip.

Reaction Score
Might as well the way he played today.

What was wrong with the way he played? He looked pretty good. Hounded his guy on defense. 7 points on 9 shots but was fouled on a couple drives and didn't get the calls. He did alright in the half a game that he played.

Reaction Score
What was wrong with the way he played? He looked pretty good. Hounded his guy on defense. 7 points on 9 shots but was fouled on a couple drives and didn't get the calls. He did alright in the half a game that he played.

Purvis is that guy this year. The whole team can stink up the gym and Rodney will be the one they're talking about. Just how it's going to be this year.

Reaction Score
EdDaigneault6:34pm via TweetDeck
Rodney Purvis took a shot to the mouth and wound up with three stitches in his lower lip.
Did Amidah run to his defense again, a-la Ryan Boatright?

Reaction Score
I actually thought Purvis had a solid game tonight.
I noted the following:

1. Drove and kicked to Boat for a 3. This alone would be huge, if he could develop it. He seems to be able to blow by his guy - having the vision to find an open shooter would make him extremely valuable.

2. Pulled up and hit a nice 15 footer while moving laterally. Very nice shot selection, good form, and good game awareness.

I don't ever care about the how-many-got-made. I'm focused on the shot selection, which was not bad. He also had at least one other assist, IIRC, and he rebounded a bit. He has proven he can hit the 3 at an acceptable rate - if it's the right time in the shot clock, he should have a green light for open 3s - he seems to hesitate at times, and sometimes takes a step in and shoots a long 2. He shoots high 30s, and that's good enough to keep the D honest.

I didn't really focus on his D - who was guarding the one guy who shot 4 of 6 from 3 early?

RE Calhoun, I like what he brings - he knocks down the open 3, and we need that.

Reaction Score
Purvis could cure cancer, balance the budget, and bring peace to the Middle East...and it wouldn't change a thing with respect to how he's treated here.
Maybe if KO and JC didn't hype him up so much. He is an alright player but nothing special like many of us were made to believe coming into the season. He has some nice offense at times though he can't dribble and has a slow release. He does play pressure d well but doesn't get many steals.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The three assists for Purvis today was a good sign, and he always competes defensively. But if he continues to toss up those half-armed floaters in traffic, I'm going to lose it. Either take it all the way to the rim or kick it out.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The three assists for Purvis today was a good sign, and he always competes defensively. But if he continues to toss up those half-armed floaters in traffic, I'm going to lose it. Either take it all the way to the rim or kick it out.
The floaters just look weak the second they leave his hand. Usually there is a 80% chance it clangs off the front of the rim, but his defensive abilities are still good and for that he will more often than not have a spot on the court FOR THIS TEAM, he might be a 15 minute guy on previous Calhoun squads.

Question: Based on only the play we have seen from Purvis this year, how much PT do you think Ollie would have given him had he been the same exact player but eligible last season? I ask because Ollie gave Calhoun many opportunities in the first 2/3 of the season last year, then near the end basically took him out of the rotation completely, which was for the best as the team's key contributors really became solidified and stepped up.

Reaction Score
The floaters just look weak the second they leave his hand. Usually there is a 80% chance it clangs off the front of the rim, but his defensive abilities are still good and for that he will more often than not have a spot on the court FOR THIS TEAM, he might be a 15 minute guy on previous Calhoun squads.

Question: Based on only the play we have seen from Purvis this year, how much PT do you think Ollie would have given him had he been the same exact player but eligible last season? I ask because Ollie gave Calhoun many opportunities in the first 2/3 of the season last year, then near the end basically took him out of the rotation completely, which was for the best as the team's key contributors really became solidified and stepped up.

That's a tough one to answer. Part of me wants to say he could have played Kromah's role, part of me wants to say he could have played Samuel's role. On one hand, he's not as mature a player as Lasan was last year, and probably not as good of a ball-handler or passer. Conversely, if Samuel looked as good as he did last season surrounded by a bunch of shooters, Purvis probably could have excelled in a similar role. But Purvis is a terrible free throw shooter, so I'm not sure Ollie trusts him at the end of games. Ultimately, he's probably the type of guy on last years team who plays 30 minutes one night and 5 the next. On average he's probably in the 15 minute range as you stated but it's very possible he could have been squeezed out entirely on some nights.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Purvis could cure cancer, balance the budget, and bring peace to the Middle East...and it wouldn't change a thing with respect to how he's treated here.

So, Purvis can't hit a free throw or a floater and is weak on jumpers. Also, he is a bad passer, only dribbles with one hand and makes horrible decisions with the ball when he is not stepping out of bounds. He plays big minutes at the position of shooting guard. Occasionally, he gets hot. The team is completely schizoid and some people can't figure out why.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
So, Purvis can't hit a free throw or a floater and is weak on jumpers. Also, he is a bad passer, only dribbles with one hand and makes horrible decisions with the ball when he is not stepping out of bounds. He plays big minutes at the position of shooting guard. Occasionally, he gets hot. The team is completely schizoid and some people can't figure out why.
We recognize the same weaknesses. Sarcasm on. If we didn't before we certainly see them as a result of the incessant repetitive need to point them out by the members of this forum. Sarcasm off. The issue for me is that some people refuse to point out his contributions and they are not insignificant. His defense is better than OC and DHams (although I felt DHams defense in this game was very good) and on par or better than TSam's. His offense, for all the liabilities, has been better or on par with OC and better than TSams.

A balanced observation imo would include both the pros and cons in a players game in all aspects of the game each and every game. An unbalanced observation would only tailer the aspects of the game that fit a viewers emotional needs.

In this game DHam created a lot more offense than RP. That was obvious with his 9 assists. He is a better player and no one is arguing he isn't. DHam shot 3-7 and RP shot 3-9, so DHam's shooting was certainly better than Rodney's but it wasn't stellar. What people don't talk about is that his assist to TO ratio in this game was the same as DHam's. Both had a terrific 3-1 ratio. I'm not going on record saying that this similarity will continue. I highly doubt it.

But it took place in this game and people who don't like Rodney, or his inconsistency, or his style, will refuse to acknowledge him when he does well or the particular aspects of the game he does well. And that is a dangerous bias imo. I think it's a similar process that takes place that causes us to make cliches about various races and ethnicities. It's the pat treatment we employ to hurt individuals or groups that don't fit into our preferences or desires. I'm not saying people who don't like Rodney have other biases or prejudices that reduce humanities ability to co exist. I'm saying the process is the same and imo that process is a problem.

So contrary to what @Cheeky may think, I'm not elevating Rodney over DHam. In the course of a thread where I think the thread is not being fair I'll make arguments in an attempt to bring some balance to the equation. And although I do enjoy an occasional put down on someone or something, my overwhelming preference is to find the positive in someone or something, especially when others are unable to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom