Is poor rebounding a defensive issue? | The Boneyard

Is poor rebounding a defensive issue?

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I just finished the postgane thread and was struck by how varied it was, with many good, interesting insights. Maybe that's always so, but I was not as receptive previously. Bravo, BYers.

I was going to post something about rebounding, but then someone (Ferarro?) commented on it with much of what I was thinking: On the defensive glass it was atrocious through the opening quarter-plus. Other posters expounded on this, making good points, so I won't pile on but will note that the quarter was the most discouraging and ominous 'highlight' of the game -- a flood of turnovers combined with giving the Gophers 2nd (or 3rd, 4th, etc.) chances to score after the stout defense did its job. These are not winning tactics and are shocking to see from the Huskies, especially against an unranked team.

It was only the 4th game of the season, however, with a bunch of pups who are still learning and a team that is still adjusting. Despite all the understandable gnashing of teeth in the postmortem and somewhat confusing mixed reactions and solutions, the team will overcome.

I did wonder, however: Is terrible performance securing rebounds charged to the defense?

Grabbing offensive boards is a bonus for scoring. But to get them, do you encourage guards to crash the glass, thus leaving yourself vulnerable to fast breaks, harming the defense? And on the other end, failure to hold the enemy's misses is bad for the defense.

I think rebounding seems to be primarily a defensive function, although it can help the offense. So, should lousy rebounding be attributed to a lousy defense? Should it count against the defense?

I don't know. If yes, then perhaps all the praise of UConn's defense in the thread is misplaced, or at least misleading? Can a defense be good if the rebounding stinks? It's something to ponder, for me at least, even if it's just semantics.

I also noted some comments in recent threads concerning Ines' demeanor on the sideline. On Sunday, I indeed saw in one TV shot where she looked distracted, perhaps unhappy or gloomy. Some BYers believe this is related to her getting little a chance to contribute on the court.

Why is that the conclusion?

If she is unhappy or distressed, there could be innumerable causes other than her playing time. Like, you know, worries about some class, about some friend, about her home life in the Azores, about a love interest, about her future, about Ukraine or Israel. Who knows? She's a young woman and can be forgiven if she has a life beyond UConn basketball.

And since the commentary is related to an instant caught by the camera, maybe she is having a wonderful time but maybe we had a glimpse of a sneezing fit or some other short-term physical distress.

Reaction Score
IMO, defensive rebounding is based on positioning and offensive rebounding is based on "who wants it more".

It seems like this team has some of the worst hands I've seen in a while. How many passes and rebounds going off someone's hands have we seen already this season. KK had an uncontested rebound go off her hands. You just don't see that very often.

Reaction Score
Rebounding is a want. It’s hustle and effort. My daughter was usually under sized but numerous times she out rebounded the bigger player. Shoot she wound up the only player, male or female, with 1000 points and 1000 rebounds for her college school. Has nothing to do with offense or defense. Just going to get the ball

Reaction Score
Yes - it's a defensive issue on the defensive end. Could be other issues as well. But it's also "defense."

Reaction Score
Rebounding has a lot to do with desire and timing. I am 5'4" but I got a lot of rebounds in high school becuz I was very good at timing when I went after the ball, ( cutting in front of a box out) and high pointing my jump so I got the ball at the top of my jump plus how badly I wanted it. You have to grab that ball hard and get it out from under the basket fast.
I see a lot of times we are fighting our own players for a rebound, usually a freshman (not to mention anyone in particular but her name rhymes with HEY HEY.) I seen Nika talking to her afterwards and HEY HEY got the message and became more aware of who she was going up against.
The Minn. girls were heavy duty and were pushing everyone but Aaliyah around. That makes it harder but not impossible to get rebounds plus we had most of our girls staying back for defense.
I think once Ice gets more acclimated with playing against big girls and learns how Aaliyah works, she will get more rebounds.
Remember when Dorka first got here she wasnt the rebounding machine she became her 2nd year until she got used to Aaliyah.

Kat

Reaction Score
I looked at the box score and don't see UConn being "bullied on the boards" or otherwise not doing well. Huskies out-rebounded MN 43-40. As far as the defense goes, it was very good.

Reaction Score
Probably the most damning thing I saw in yesterdays game as it pertains to rebounding was the sight of Ashlynn watching a shot go up, then looking around and finding her player, then backing her rear into that player and blocking out! Why damning you may ask? Well, because it was so noticeable to me! I suddenly realized that I rarely see that particular action with this team.
It was very clear in that moment that Ashlynn has been trained very effectively to immediately put her back onto an opposing player to block her from getting the potential rebound. Now, I know that is common thing, something that should happen on virtually very shot but her action in that moment really opened my eyes to how bad our rebounding ethos has become. There is absolutely no reason we can’t be an effective rebounding team! It’s just effort on a consistent basis. I hope we can get better at it because it will come back to bite us if we don’t. There are times when it seems like all the rebounds are going straight to the opponents but even then a consistent effort will minimize the damage.

Reaction Score
I am 5'4" but I got a lot of rebounds in high school becuz I was very good at timing when I went after the ball, ( cutting in front of a box out)
And on the defensive end - the defensive team (not just 1 player) is trying to deny you the position that you want. On the offensive side you rely on moving (and strength) to get into position. While the defense tries to deny that position that would give you an advantage for an offensive rebound. The better the team denies you the position you (and othe offenisve players want) want, the more defensive rebounds they will get. Simple. :)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The rebounding problem against Minnesota was really only in the first quarter. It was very obvious then because the game had just started and UConn was having trouble getting untracked, because of that and also because of an unusual number of turnovers. For the last three quarters, however, there was no particular issue with either turnovers or keeping MN off of their offensive boards.

The full box score (with the play-by-play) as well as the eye test support that conclusion.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Rebounding is a want. It’s hustle and effort. My daughter was usually under sized but numerous times she out rebounded the bigger player. Shoot she wound up the only player, male or female, with 1000 points and 1000 rebounds for her college school. Has nothing to do with offense or defense. Just going to get the ball
It is desire and hustle, but it’s also a team effort. I’ve pointed out the same thing that @Cuango pointed out above: Shade consistently puts a body on an opponent, even if she’s not near the basket. Even if Shade doesn’t get the rebound, her mark won’t swoop in and take it away from a UConn player.

Reaction Score
I believe the Bigger Kids in High School develop the bad habit of just reaching for the ball because they can. When they enter college they are suddenly playing against kids that are Stronger, their size or Bigger and it take a good year or longer for them to learn the proper way to Box out.

Reaction Score
Probably the most damning thing I saw in yesterdays game as it pertains to rebounding was the sight of Ashlynn watching a shot go up, then looking around and finding her player, then backing her rear into that player and blocking out! Why damning you may ask? Well, because it was so noticeable to me! I suddenly realized that I rarely see that particular action with this team.
It was very clear in that moment that Ashlynn has been trained very effectively to immediately put her back onto an opposing player to block her from getting the potential rebound. Now, I know that is common thing, something that should happen on virtually very shot but her action in that moment really opened my eyes to how bad our rebounding ethos has become. There is absolutely no reason we can’t be an effective rebounding team! It’s just effort on a consistent basis. I hope we can get better at it because it will come back to bite us if we don’t. There are times when it seems like all the rebounds are going straight to the opponents but even then a consistent effort will minimize the damage.
I watched the men's game yesterday in which the announcers were lamenting the absence of basic basketball skills at the collegiate level. I strongly feel rebounding falls into this category. What you described in your post is absolutely correct. Find a man or position to establish correct rebounding stance, get your backside into your opponent, establish a good athletic stance, spread your arms out wide, track the flight of the ball and go get it. Does anyone remember the rebounding machine? It had an the ball rested on and was tensioned such that you had to really get hold of and essentially rip the ball off of it. I wonder if they're still in use

Reaction Score
Rebounding can be a lot of things and many of them have been mentioned already. One that I didn't see is when a team is hoisting up 3s you have a lot of long rebounds and you also have a spread out floor on defense so it is hard to get your person boxed. The other issue is our girls aren't as aware of their spot on the floor as they should be and I see them too far under the basket to effectively rebound a miss.

Minnesota was not a team that was a lot taller than UConn so to be pretty even with them on rebounds makes me wonder how they deal with big bodies. I guess that will be seen by all this Friday night when they play UCLA.

Reaction Score
All of the points made above are valid. I just want add that the defense is normally in the most advantageous positions to box out the opponents and reel in rebounds. However, missed three pointers create problems because they often result in longer and higher than expected rebounds. The high number of missed threes during the first half of the game contributed to below average rebounding. Some repositioning may be in order for three point attempts especially when your tallest players are 6’3” and cannot control or partially deflect or redirect the long and high rebounds.

Reaction Score
Defense breaks down into three main areas statistically. Most good defensive teams are good at all three. The first is obviously only give your opponent low percentage shots, the second and third involve how many attempts they get. If you give up an offensive rebound they get a second attempt on the same possession, if you get a steal or cause a turnover they have a possession with no shot attempts. All three are part of the equation of how many points you give up per possession, the most important defensive stat of all.

The actual number of points given up or scored is also greatly affected by pace, with some teams having far more possessions per game than others due to a fast or slow pace of play, but in the end the points scored or given up is points per possession times the number of possessions. Defensive and offensive efficiency or ratings on most statistical analysis sites is based more on points per possession than per game to exclude the pace of game factor. Sorry for getting technical!

Reaction Score
Rebound stats can be deceiving in that some rebounds are deserved by positioning, aggression and all the stuff pointed out in the posts above while there are also a fair number where the ball just happens to to bounce your way or is totally uncontested.

I saw a thing on Dennis Rodman's rebounding ability where it was pointed out he excelled because no one was better at guessing where a rebound was going to go and getting there before the shot went up. He learned other players shot tendencies and would constantly reposition as the ball moved.

Reaction Score
UConn is hindered on the boards because (a) they don't have a true Center and (b) other than Aubrey there are no leapers on the roster. The majority of rebounds that UConn players get, the player is barely off the floor the majority of the time.

Reaction Score
I think if the other team shoots, rebounding is a defensive issue for us. If we shoot its an offensive issue for us.

Reaction Score
I believe the Bigger Kids in High School develop the bad habit of just reaching for the ball because they can. When they enter college they are suddenly playing against kids that are Stronger, their size or Bigger and it take a good year or longer for them to learn the proper way to Box out.
What you don't see very often is a UConn player knowing that a shot is about to go up and getting in position for the rebound before it's shot. You can't rebound by trying to get into position after the shot goes up because chances are good by that time you are the one getting boxed out. The first to box our more often than not will win the rebound.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom