Is Penny Hardaway an exception to hiring former players? | The Boneyard

Is Penny Hardaway an exception to hiring former players?

Reaction Score
Count me in the affirmative category of Hardaway coaching Memphis.

I think Hardaway is a different animal than the Mullins, Drexlers, and Ewings..

IMO, Mullin and Ewing are very underwhelming as recruiters. They were hired on name recognition, so their spotty recruiting record is a problem.

Penny ALREADY has the recruiting connections because he is coming up from the grassroots.

The guys Hardaway is reportedly in on would never give a St Johns or Georgetown offer a serious look. And therein lies the failures of those schools for hiring those guys. St Johns and Georgetown are getting red chips.

So Penny Hardaway may be the exception here.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Hardaway currently coaches three top-25 recruits in AAU ball.

Memphis is getting none of those players with Tubby.

With Hardaway, they’re in play with all of them. Memphis kids will play for a Memphis guy or at least someone willing to put in the time to become a Memphis guy - Tubby never bought into that.

I have no idea if he can coach and NBA guys tend to make great coaches, but we’ll see.

Reaction Score
Hardaway currently coaches three top-25 recruits in AAU ball.

Memphis is getting none of those players with Tubby.

With Hardaway, they’re in play with all of them. Memphis kids will play for a Memphis guy or at least someone willing to put in the time to become a Memphis guy - Tubby never bought into that.

I have no idea if he can coach and NBA guys tend to make great coaches, but we’ll see.

He is gonna kill it. IMO

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The consensus among those in college basketball (it's been on every sirrius xm college show for past 24 hrs as well as most every publication website) feel that hiring P Hard is a mistake but who knows
I guess if he can bring kids in it might be worth a shot but will he do it above board and can he keep them there.
Some say he has a dark side and some say he's a good guy
But they all seem to agree bringing in Larry Brown would be a disaster
Me, I don't give a crap but it will bring attention to the league

Reaction Score
The consensus among those in college basketball (it's been on every sirrius xm college show for past 24 hrs as well as most every publication website) feel that hiring P Hard is a mistake but who knows
I guess if he can bring kids in it might be worth a shot but will he do it above board and can he keep them there.
Some say he has a dark side and some say he's a good guy
But they all seem to agree bringing in Larry Brown would be a disaster
Me, I don't give a crap but it will bring attention to the league
Don't listen to the pundits. They don't know squat. Memphis is not one of the "chosen" ones.

Penny will kill it. IMO

Exciting stuff.

Great for the AAC.

Reaction Score
Being an AAU coach and a college coach are 2 different animals, will be interesting to see if he can be successful in college

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
From reading the Memphis board over the years, to succeed there you have to get your hands dirty with the local kids and their handlers/families/coaches. Penny is right out of that swamp.

Reaction Score
Ewing and Mullin both took over train-wreck programs, and in their first and second seasons, respectively, have them playing competitive basketball with young rosters in a very difficult league. Maybe they work out, maybe not, but it's way too early to say anything definitively.

I don't know much about the Memphis situation but Tubby simply can't recruit so I think you do what you need to do there. Also: there are more Lawson brothers?

Reaction Score
From reading the Memphis board over the years, to succeed there you have to get your hands dirty with the local kids and their handlers/families/coaches. Penny is right out of that swamp.
Ollie would win another title with the players he is going to get. IMO

Reaction Score

Penny actually seems like an incredibly good, genuine dude. There was an ESPN doc about him as a HS coach that really opened my eyes and impressed me. Brandon Roy looks like he may be next in line as an NBA star to college coach, if he wants.

Reaction Score
Don't listen to the pundits. They don't know squat. Memphis is not one of the "chosen" ones.

Penny will kill it. IMO

Exciting stuff.

Great for the AAC.
I agree. Penny is the perfect hire for them.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Penny actually seems like an incredibly good, genuine dude. There was an ESPN doc about him as a HS coach that really opened my eyes and impressed me. Brandon Roy looks like he may be next in line as an NBA star to college coach, if he wants.
He's a Memphis kid, Memphis alumni and now coaches in the city. That's what I mean by being part of that swamp.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom