Is Paige Diana 2.0? We are about to find out. | The Boneyard

Is Paige Diana 2.0? We are about to find out.

Reaction Score
I love Paige. I love so much about watching her play: the way she moves (shifty, slithering); the way she shoots (swish!); her constant hustle (diving to the floor twice last game with her bum knee, and nearly giving most of us Boneyarders a heart attack!); her unbridled enthusiasm (that wide open mouth reminds me of the creature from Aliens); and the way she passes and loves making her teammates better.

I love reading about Paige, about what an amazing, generous human being she seems is. All her NIL's have some kind of social purpose connected to them. Diana didn't have to worry about such things, though I'm sure she would have been in demand.

Geno has said repeatedly that Paige is “special” and that she has the “clutch gene." Even on a terrible shooting night, like against TN last year, with the shot clock running down and the game on the line, swish! After Monday's epic Elite Eight game, Christyn used a paraphrase of Geno’s old line about Diana when she said “we have Paige Beuckers and they don’t.” So, is Paige really Diana 2.0? Diana carried two somewhat undermanned teams on her back to two national championships, with her play and her force of will. Can Paige do the same this year? I think this team has more talent than DT’s, but the opponents are probably also more talented than the ones DT played against. So, we are about to find out.

As far as I’m concerned, though I wish for another NC (12 is such a nicer number than 11), I’m just going to enjoy watching Paige play for as long as we have her. I hope that will be at least 2 more years… and maybe 3.

And if we do manage to win the NC this year against the odds, I’ll be willing to believe that Paige is Diana’s secret “love child.” J

Reaction Score
I love watching Paige but time will tell about the comparison with D. Diana made everyone better. She won two straight National Championships (one previous with Bird, Jones, Williams and Cash) with a decent, but not great, or overly talented, supporting cast. Not saying she can't or won't but Diana did. Let's wait and see. Go prove it Paige!

Last edited:

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
D won 3 straight National Championships

Reaction Score
I appreciate Paige immensely. I love watching her play. I also hope she stays at UConn for 4 years as well. However, I'd be willing to bet that Paige would prefer to just be Paige 1.0 ;)
Right. Y’all know how I am about the use of 2.0. D is a UConn Goddess. To say 2.0 is ridiculous! Why do people use 2.0 so easily?

Reaction Score
Statistically speaking, I don't think Paige will win 3 national championships. On the other hand - and this can often be a problem with comparing players from different eras - it's not possible to say for sure if Diana would have gotten 3 national championships in the 2020s.

Still. Two number 1 seeds in a row to beat, two of which have already beaten UConn this year and the other considered by many to be the best team? Paige has got 'em right where she wants 'em! ;)

Reaction Score
I think you can compare journeys without comparing players. DTs performance in the Final Four her freshman year, I think also gave her a different edge. She hated that feeling and I think it's fair to say, she's done a pretty good job there in her career. I wondered if last year's Arizona game was that for Paige? I think the circumstances of this year helped make the team better overall, but she seemed pretty focused before the injury and I wonder if she's finally getting it all the way back.

That could all also be nonsense. Either way I'm excited to see how tonight turns out!

Reaction Score
Diana came into a better team than Paige did. The second and third NC was Diana and the Kids. That remains to be seen.

Reaction Score
I believe that was the South Carolina game where her shot hit the back of the rim and went up in the air.... nice try, though, @browns

Reaction Score
I think Paiges journey to winning a championship will be much harder then Diana's. There is much more parity now in women's basketball the the Diana played.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Diana came into a better team than Paige did. The second and third NC was Diana and the Kids. That remains to be seen.
Maybe Diana's junior year is a decent comp to Paige's sophomore year. Best/glue player on a balanced team. Underdog in the Finals.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom